Etan Slams Again

Just days after his Imus fusillade, Etan Thomas is writing for SLAMOnline again, this time about the fallout of his Imus fusillade, and other stuff. We learn, for example, both that Etan got into an argument about Imus with a patron at Outback Steakhouse, and also that Etan eats at Outback Steakhouse. I would have pegged him as an Olive Garden type.

Also, he writes that "there were even people who created sites on the internet showing these poems that aren't mine." Surely he doesn't mean this?

And, to be more serious, he also virtually explicitly sets him up as the opposite of Gilbert Arenas.

I picked some pretty remarkable human beings to look up to. Using my position as a platform to speak my mind is something that I feel obligated to do. Giving voice to the voiceless. Saying what many people would love to say but just don't have the public ear or the microphone with which to say it.

So whether you agree with me or not, is shouldn't bring contempt and anger if I have a viewpoint that differs from yours. To quote Bill Russell, "You are not going to reduce me to an entertainer [extreme emphasis added]. I am a man who stands up for what he believes in, and you have to respect me for it."

Really, on the scale of serious-to-goofy, the Wizards might just have the NBA's two biggest extremes. Certainly among those NBA stars who write regularly on the Internets.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 16, 2007; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes From a Ravaged Season
Next: Wizards Practice Notes

Comments

Etan is an NBA star?

Posted by: Josh | April 16, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

wow am I sick of how often Etan tells us he writes poetry. g-wiz, we get it Etan. he doesn't fit the stereotype of athletes being self-centered and stupid because he is not stupid. i would comment that id wish he spent more time trying to learn how to box out then messing around with the iambic pentameter but sadly he does neither. what was once refreshing has now become boorish, i'd rather hear what roger mason has to say on these subjects.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"I told him that in my opinion he had a very weak argument. Imus himself said that he made a mistake, he apologized, the womens' team accepted his apology and he didn't make excuses for what he said the way that so many surprisingly are attempting to do. He did say that he was just trying to be funny, which I failed to find the least bit humorous."

So what? Imus made a mistake and apologized to the Rutgers team. NOBODY, Etan Thomas included deserved an apology!

Funny how EVERYBODY can weigh in on what Imus said and call for his firing. Fact of the matter is....he wasn't fired for what he said and THATS HYPOCRISY there Etan!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Great, thanks for mentioning the I word Dan!

Posted by: Kev | April 16, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

When is Etan gonna apologize for pilfering $37 million from Abe Pollin?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

thanks for linking the etan blog. a very nice read.

good riddance to Imus.

Posted by: john | April 16, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Which one's the goofy one?

Posted by: jhorstma | April 17, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Wow, so Washington, Etan's eagerness to give voice to the voiceless. Power as an aphrodesiac.

There's a little defensiveness in Etan's continued proclamations on this -- as if he knows the thing that gives him the platform has nothing to do with the subjects of which he speaks. Like movie stars involved in politics, there's a reason they always feel defensive. No one's saying you're not bright, but there's lots of bright people out there. You're gonna select yourself as a voice for a faceless mass because you've got some power and fame? Sounds a little like the people you often try to rally us to fight against . . . .

Posted by: Nancy | April 17, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse