Drew Rosenhaus Has Clinton Portis's Back
Plus: Sexy Vegetarian athletes!
May isn't the greatest month to endorse dogfighting. Not much else going on locally right now. Plenty of time for more dogfighting updates.
1) Clinton Portis's awesome agent Drew Rosenhaus is a dog lover! "I personally find dog fighting cruel, vicious and evil," he said, in a show of personal bravery, according to the AP.
Also, "I want to clarify that he in no way, shape or form condones dog fighting or any type of illegal activity," Rosenhaus said. "I spent the last day or so with Clinton trying to get that message out."
Or, "I spent the last day or so with Clinton trying to pretend he didn't actually say what everyone in the world heard him say." You gotta figure at some point the man goes into politics. Rosenhaus, not Clinton. If they were really trying to make amends, just have Portis apologize for what everyone in the world heard him say, don't try to pretend he didn't say it.
In the meantime, respecting Rosenhaus's bark, blogger Lion in Oil predicts that "Knowing how Rosenhaus works, he'll have Portis starring in a PETA PSA by next week." Which brings us to:
2) In what has to be a first, a PETA blogger is coming out with an endorsement for an NFL backfield position. In fact, the PETA Files has three reasons for starting Ladell Betts next season:
1. Ladell Betts doesn't have a chronic shoulder injury.
2. Ladell Betts knows how to follow his blockers.
3. Ladell Betts doesn't frickin' come out on national television and defend animal abuse.
PETA has apparently yet to endorse a Redskins starting QB. Although don't be surprised if they lean toward Mark Brunell, since he's been known to play like a dog and all.
3) The Animal Legal Defense Fund has also sent a letter to Portis and Samuels, attempting to educate them about dogfighting and asking Portis to name names:
In publicly defending Michael Vick, who is under investigation for involvement in dog fighting, Mr. Portis alluded to the dog fighting activity in the rural back roads of his home state of Mississippi. We see you have now posted clarification on the Redskins website stating that you do not, in fact, condone the organized animal cruelty of watching dogs kill each other for sport. In order to truly demonstrate for football fans, animal lovers, and everyday law-abiding citizens alike your newly-stated distaste for the crime of dog fighting, why not take this opportunity to step forward and cooperate with Mississippi law enforcement so that they can fully investigate the dog fighting activity you refer to, allowing perpetrators to be punished to the fullest extent of the law?
Pretty fair request, actually. Don't hold your breath, though.
And as long as we're in this universe, that PETA blog referred me to the ballot for the World's Sexiest Vegetarian contest. For some reason, I'm not on the ballot. But a number of lesser sports celebrities are on the ballot, including Carl Lewis, Raja Bell, Ricky Williams, Salim Stoudamire and Tony La Russa. I have to think that the GoVeg people are the only people in the world who find Tony La Russa sexy. But I voted for him, anyhow.
The comments to this entry are closed.