A Caps Wedding

They met on the message boards. He was Flipper. She was capscrazy. Soon they were introduced in person, as so many of us are, at a Caps message board happy hour. Their friendship was platonic for three years, but eventually it became something more, just as young hockey prospects change forms, shape and reshape, as they move their way through the juniors ranks. They would send each other private messages on the message boards; the purported subject was often hockey, but the subtext was something else entirely; penalty minutes and checking lines unleashing the passions they tend to unleash. The ice was cold; their romance became red hot.

They started dating on the day of the NHL lockout; "at least something good came out of it," said Flipper, aka 34-year-old Dave Polk. Due to different rooting styles, they kept their separate Caps tickets; "I honestly think if they sat together, one of them would kill the other," said a friend, Elyssa Brecher. And finally, this June, on a beach in Mexico, they were engaged to be married. Like so many of us do, they then considered exactly what their wedding should be like. And as with so many of us, their thoughts turned to the puck.

"We decided, 'Hey, why don't we try some hockey stuff,'" recounted capscrazy, aka 32-year-old Michelle Rexrode.

Which is why the lucky couple found themselves at Kettler Capitals Iceplex today, wearing authentic Capitals jerseys (she was Chris Clark, he was Brian Pothier) and posing for the Save the Date cards so many of us have posed for before our own weddings: The lucky couple crossing blades at center ice. The bride-to-be taunting the groom-to-be while he sits dejectedly in the penalty box, or shooting on the groom-to-be while he stands in goal. The bride-to-be checking the the groom-to-be into the boards.

"That's so good!!" shouted out the photographer and groomsman-to-be, Steve Strawn.

The couple wanted to use these photos on the invitations, but it turns out it's quite pricey to create a photo-based wedding invite, so instead there will be several varieties of save-the-date notices-as-hockey-cards; "collect all three or four!" Michelle advised. And while the ceremony will play it straight, the reception will have certain minor hockey accents.

"We're completely going, I don't want to say overboard...." Michelle began, looking at Dave.

"Yeah, we are," Dave said.

"Yeah, we are," Michelle confirmed.

And so there's the rehearsal dinner at Kettler, and the hockey puck favors, and the introduction, during which the wedding party will wear jerseys and the priest will be dressed as a referee and they'll all pass underneath an arch made of raised hockey sticks.

"I'm not shooting your wedding," the photographer noted at this point.

The cake, naturally, will be shaped like the Stanley Cup, provided the bakery--Charm City Cakes in Baltimore--can pull it off.

"If they can make an armadillo wearing a paramedics' uniform, a Stanley Cup cake shouldn't be too far behind," said Brecher, becoming the first human in creation to utter that particular line.

Aside from all this, the couple appears to be quite sane. He works at the Kennedy Center, she is a contracts officer for a government contractor. They just want their wedding to be fun. Naturally, they're inviting all their Cap-rooting friends to the big affair, including the Horn Guy, he who blows the "Let's Go Caps" horn; "if he does that during the ceremony, I'm going to kill him," Dave said.

The wedding is scheduled for May, which, if you look at the hockey schedule and you do the math, is about the time for the....

"Can't say it," Michelle interrupted. "Not saying the word. Don't say it. We don't want to jinx it."

Fair enough. Comcast SportsNet was also documenting the photo shoot today, and a CSN employee asked the couple whether the honeymoon would have a hockey theme.

"No," Michelle said, "we're actually...."

"We're going somewhere where ice does not form," Dave finished, which is really a shame. If they actually cared about this sport they claim to love, they'd have already booked their trip to Saskatoon.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 29, 2007; 6:52 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Rhymes With Groh?
Next: Gilbert Locked Out of Canada

Comments

Were hoping to spread the good word of Hockey to the lovely islands of Hawaii. Hey, if it worked in Florida...

Posted by: Flipper (aka: the Groom) | August 29, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Now that is a great story. Nice work Dan.

My friends had their black-with-orange-flames cake made by the Ace of Cakes guy, before he got the show. They do amazing cakes -- not just presentation, but it tastes great too.

Wish I could afford them now that they've hit the big time (I'm getting married in 2 months). Ah well, it'll be sheet cake for my guests. :)

Posted by: OrderedChaos | August 29, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you want a photo of the pre-television-fame Ace of Cakes masterpiece at my friend's wedding (a non-traditional wedding to say the least):

Posted by: OrderedChaos | August 29, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Sweet looking cake. That guy does some A-MAZING work.

Posted by: Flipper | August 29, 2007 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I was hoping it'd be Australia. We need the hockey love.

Posted by: Jordi | August 29, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Dave and Michelle!

And great stuff as usual Dan.

Posted by: Capital Addiction | August 30, 2007 12:56 AM | Report abuse

That is so awesome! You guys are nuts but I love you anyways! I want to collect all 4 save the date cards so send them all my way!

~Your Clone

Posted by: Your Clone | August 30, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

reminds me of an Andray Blatche wedding...

they met on a dark street off thomas circle in NW DC he was big baller 32 and she was undrcover po-po she proposed $80 he accepted.. they both went before the judge her wearing a police officers uniform him wearing an orange jumpsuit. cant wait to see how this union ends up...

Posted by: bring back laron profit | August 30, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"Bring back", you're a jerk. Bugger off! Go Flipper and Michelle. I want all 3 (or 4) cards. And no icing the puck.

Posted by: jbirch28 | August 30, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Awwww, you guys.....you make me so verklempt! Congrats to you both. :)

Posted by: Bumper | August 30, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

HAVE I SAID THAT THAT YOU TWO ARE SO FRICKEN COOL??????????

Looking forward to seeing the "coolest" wedding around!!!

Posted by: ChrisINct (BM) | August 30, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Hey, WE WANT PICS. Post some, please.

Posted by: just say ov | August 30, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget to invite Slapshot to your wedding! My wife and I had him come to the wedding to entertain the kids who came out for it. He did a few dances with them and had a good old time with everyone!

M

Posted by: Mike Livingston | August 30, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

That is awesome. Congradulations of course. I'm glad to hear a few people still remember that weddings are supposed to be fun.

And you know that horn Guy is sneaking in some kind of noise maker now.;^)

Posted by: EricS | August 30, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic! Go Caps!

Posted by: Bob D | August 30, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I believe it Michelle!

Captain Bly

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

And to think, I expected your honeymoon to be a CRC bus trip to a Hershey playoff game.

Seriously Flipper, what's the use of the whole wedding setup only to go to Hawaii for the honeymoon? You're in the friggin' Post, you could easily milk enough out of this to get a honeymoon wrapped around free tickets to a Stanley Cup finals game...

Posted by: Jay | August 30, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm not like Charlie Brown looking into an empty mailbox... Heh!

Nice write-up, Bog Man.

Posted by: Goat | August 30, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Really cheap plug, but I'd be happy to DJ it, I've got all the hockey songs you need.

Posted by: Jarrod | August 31, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

so you really get to keep the puck you caught this time!!!

Posted by: Rochelle | September 26, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse