New Blogger: Donald Brashear?

If I hear one more "living in your parents' basement joke"....

So a few weeks ago, Donald Brashear was on the Junkies and the topic of online poker came up.

(I swear, when I started down this path, I had no idea it would involve the Junkies yet again. I'm not on their pay roll, really.)

"I like online [poker]," he said, "but right now what's happening is when you're in the U.S., the U.S. government doesn't allow people to play poker online, if you want to get money and stuff."

"You want to play on Absolute, I'll send you a link, I'll get a percentage of your rake," one of the Junkies said.

At which point Brashear gave out his e-mail address over the radio. I'll withhold that address for now, although it's obviously not that hard to find. And what happened next? Aside from a Junkie saying "silly"?

"Five minutes later I'm getting [bleepin'] emails coming in, coming out," Brashear said. "I'm thinking, 'A lot of people want to talk to the players, so why not just start a blog and see where it goes?' "

And thus, a new local sports superstar blogger may have been born. Brashear is currently trying to find a home for his blogging services on the Interwebs, and hopes to settle on a destination soon, but he already knows the sort of things he'll write about.

"Just every day stuff," he said. "If I go on a trip, somewhere nice, get some pictures, show the people. You know, people want to know information, they have all kinds of questions. They don't really know how it is inside, they don't know that sometimes it's hard. They think it's easy all the time and we should never have to complain about anything, but we're just living our life like anybody else. I want to show them, but I want to show them all the nice things we do, go on trips, what we do with our free moments. You go out partying, take a few pictures, show the people. In the summer, if I'm building a new house, I can show it, take pictures and show it, show people what I really do."

Brashear pointed out that not many hockey players have blogs, which seems true enough. I guess Danny Richmond has one. Alex Ovechkin has one, but it's in Russian, and it's not updated too often.

("Lots of questions, but I don't have lots of time to answer it," Ovechkin explained. "Soon they give me password and everything so I can go my blog and talk with the people, you know? I read it every day." Also, he told me he'll be launching his own Web site soon, which will have videos and photographs from his youth. He said it might be called Ovie.com, but that appears to be taken.)

Anyhow, Brashear has some other ideas for his blog that he can't really talk about just yet, but he has high hopes for his entrance into these parts.

"Sometimes it can go big real quick, it all depends," he said. "If I find something interesting to put on there, I think people will come check it out."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 17, 2007; 2:45 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Look at Ovechkin's Tooth
Next: Brent Johnson's New Helmet

Comments

Why do I believe that "go out partying" and "take a few pictures" should really give my homey Ted reason for concern?

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

No more limo incidents, okay boys?

I hope Brash really does get a blog. Maybe he can post some pictures of his opponents when he's through with 'em: Wade Belak before...Wade Belak after.

Posted by: Margarita | October 17, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ok so this is off subject but can you find out about Antawn Jamison's HUGE new tattoo, I didn't take him as one for tattoos but I guess I'm mistaken...

Posted by: DC INK | October 17, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I bet he gets a lot respect from his fellow bloggers! If not, Brash will pay them a visit and show them the errors of their ways.

Posted by: A Hardwick | October 17, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

He can't talk to Ted about finding a host????

Posted by: Caps Nut | October 17, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, Brashblog.com

is it taken already? Maybe he could use Wordpress. Blogspot seems to have been clained.

Posted by: EricS | October 17, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Let me know when the Junkies interview Haley Lafontaine. Until then, I'll keep skipping their spot on the dial.

Posted by: DevilGrad | October 17, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Interestingly enough, Absolute Poker has been apparently entangled in a huge online poker cheating ring:

Has nothing to do with Brash, other than he'll need to find a new place to play.

Posted by: James | October 17, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I pity the fool who does not read Brashear's blog ...

Posted by: tmc | October 17, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

How about crashandbrash.com ? if not that, 87brash.com.. amazingly, even brashknuckles.com is taken. Da lousy bums.

Posted by: Eeek | October 17, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

the idea of brashear starting a blog makes me all tingly with joy!

Posted by: sonia | October 17, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Is that picture the official stock photo of Brashear on the Sports Bog?

Posted by: FS | October 18, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Say what you will about the Junkies, but they seem to get a lot more interesting conversation out of players than any other DC hosts. Brashear and B. Lloyd are just the most recent examples... not the first.

Posted by: J | October 20, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse