Chief Zee's Big Weekend

(Easterns Automotive Group)

For 27 of the last 28 years, Zema "Chief Zee" Williams has headed to Texas for Dallas Week. He and Wilford "Crazy Ray" Jones would do their thing: car dealership appearances, boys and girls club appearances, game-day appearances, with Crazy Ray chasing after Chief Zee on the sidelines.

"Sometimes I'd let him catch me--'cause I was faster than him--and rough me up, like I'd do him here," Zee told me this afternoon. "It's been a good rival the last 29 years."

Zee is going down to Irving again this weekend: in Sunday morning, and out that night. But Crazy Ray won't be there, having passed away last March, off to the muddy sideline in the sky. Zee skipped the Redskins home opener to help honor Ray this fall, and he'll do the same this weekend, possibly even carrying around a memento of some sort, although he refuses to don any Cowboys garb.

But after this weekend, he's not sure. He stopped going to Eagles road games not long after some Philly fans busted up his leg and knocked his eye out of its socket; " I don't even eat Philadelphia cheese no more," he told me. He stopped going to Giants road games after being pushed down some escalators in '79.

"I don't put myself in danger like that no more," he said. "I'm 66 years old; ain't no more marrow in my bones. Ain't nothing left but dust, and dust don't keep your bones together."

Dallas has been different, because of Ray and the aura of acceptance he granted his rival. Zee's been into Jerry Jones's owner's box, been offered hotel rooms by generations of Dallas management, been welcomed into various corporate suites (he'll be appearing at the Circuit City tent this week). He was back there in March for the memorial service; he took off his headdress, put on a Cowboy hat and let loose with a "Cowboys!!!!" scream. By the time he sat back down, his eyes had welled up.

"I put that Cowboy hat on," he explained. "That's what made me cry."

Ray taught him to do magic tricks, taught him to turn balloons into dogs and bumble bees and swords so he could work the birthday party circuit, taught him how to line up personal appearances to capitalize on his Super Fan status. They toured the parking lots together in Dallas and Washington, signed autographs together, stayed in each others' homes. This weekend, for the first time since 1977, the act will be solo.

"I don't know, it's just a funny feeling, I'm missing something inside," Zee said. "Closer the game time come, I'll start feeling absent." He considered the issue further. "With him not being there, you're gonna have some [fans] that might get tanked up a little bit and might come want to do a little bit more. But I'll have security."

And thank heavens for that. Zee now sells cars for Darcars, stars in Eastern Motors ads and rides around FedEx in a mechanized scooter, what with his amputated big toe. Cur conversation kept turning in different directions; to Santana Moss's two-touchdown Monday Night Football performance in 2005, to the 35-34 loss in '79, to Washington's 9-5 home win in '78, to the real-life hog Zee rented in '83. Amidst these memories, I asked Zee if maybe he'd be okay with Washington dropping just this one game to Dallas. You know, in honor of Ray and all.

"Nooo, it don't make no difference," Zee said. "I'm sorry he's passed, but no, he knows I want to win. He's up there looking down through that hole in Texas Stadium. He know. When I go up to heaven, he'll be chasing me up there, and I'll be chasing him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 14, 2007; 5:42 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas's NFL Power Rankings
Next: Black Wednesday: B-Lloyd Will Be Missed

Comments

if wiz lose, can this be on the sports front page?

Posted by: CreditZard | November 14, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree--this ought to be in the paper. I hope you're working on that, because this was the best thing anyone's written about the Redskins in a long time.

Posted by: Jake | November 14, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

RIP Wilford "Crazy Ray" Jones

HTTR

Posted by: G20 Fdacowboys | November 14, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Where do you find this stuff Steinz? I would love to see a feature about Chief Zee and Crazy Ray? I hate the Cowboys with unbridled passion and this made me sad. I like Zee's quote: "I put that Cowboy hat on," he explained. "That's what made me cry." Some things in life are big, sad, and make you put on a cowboy hat and say things that you wouldn't be caught dead saying, shedding a little tear, because your friend is a dirty rotten Cowboys fan (with all due respect) Rest in peace, Crazy Ray. Thanks for looking out for our boy when he ventured into enemy territory.

Posted by: Me1 | November 14, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Chiming in to say this needs to appear in the paper.

Posted by: KC in DC | November 14, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Very nice read Dan. Hope this one makes the paper.

Posted by: DB | November 14, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

excellent

Posted by: littles | November 14, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I had no idea about the depth of Zee and Ray's relationship.

Forget this Post, Steinz is venturing into Outside the Lines territory with this one. Great job.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | November 14, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, from name-checking naval skirmishes to the human side of intra-conference mascot battles, in one day? Amazing stuff. If I had a feathered headdress, I'd surely doff it and salute you.

Posted by: DD | November 15, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

A class act!

Posted by: Rick | November 15, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Amazing. This story must be heard. It almost made this cowboy-hater cry.

Posted by: S | November 15, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Very well written and very interesting. A great piece of journalism Dan...

Posted by: TheCage=Basketball | November 15, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

This was definitely better written than the Comcast SportsyNet piece on the same topic that aired earlier in the week.

Posted by: Juan-John | November 15, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks. This was a cool nugget.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | November 15, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow Steinz, this might be the best thing you've written on the bog, and that is saying something. I agree, you've got to lobby to get this in the paper somewhere for sure.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | November 15, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Wowsers, this is almost like real journalism.

Posted by: kwamesnani | November 15, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

great story about some of the lesser covered people in this rivalry. That's what good journalism is all about. Thanks.

Posted by: Tikkanen | November 18, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Great article. Stuff like this makes it tough for this Cowboy fan to be such a 'Skins-hater. Was at the game today, on the visitors' side of the field, and gotta say that the 'Skins fans were a fun crowd, and showed a lot of class in a well-fought game. My thoughts go out to Shawn Springs for playing with what must be a very heavy heart.

Posted by: CB | November 19, 2007 1:25 AM | Report abuse