This Morning in Hard Fought

Now for sale at the Blog Show t-shirt shop!!!!!

Here's how Joe Gibbs began his press availability yesterday, according to the video tape:

Well, um, like I normally do on Wed...um, what day is this? ["Monday," sez WTEM's Jerry Coleman.] Just checking. Seems like I don't know where I am. I'm drifting in here someplace. I kind of just want to review the game a little bit, for us, and kind of some of the things I went over with the team today. I think it's real important when you lose a ballgame like this, with all the negative stuff and frustration that sets in, to emphasize what did happen.

And here's how Joe Gibbs began his press availability yesterday, according to the team's Web site, which, remember, is part of Daniel Snyder's mission to deliver unfiltered content straight to the masses without the out-of-context media filter:

Well, same difference. And yeah, he was joking with the "don't know where I am" bit, but still. More highlights:

"A game like this is going to be hard fought and we have to find a way to make a play."

"First off, this is a hard working team."

"We need to keep playing physical and keep working hard in practice like we are doing."

"I think we have some of the most physical practices that I have been around."

"They take a physical approach to practice and it shows in the games."

"Special teams was very physical in the game."

"I think our football team can take pride in the way we physically go after things."

"I'm proud of them when they play physical like that."

"The key for us was that we were all together."

Sadly, the power-to-the-people transcript is not complete, so we don't get to see the part I heard on the radio about how Al Saunders calls every single play, which we could then compare to Gibbs's quote about how he "could have helped us inside the five yard-line offensively," since, since he wasn't calling the plays, it's unclear to me in what way he could have helped. Leaping over the pile from three yards back, maybe.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 13, 2007; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Hoops Poll Week One: Rumblings Below
Next: Today in Ivan Carter and Mike Wise

Comments

Use "SPREADSHIRT03″ coupon for $5 off! And check out the web exclusive EXTREMELY HARD FOUGHT version!

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | November 13, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

You're an idiot Steinberg. Just because he doesn't call the offensive plays doesn't mean he has no input into what goes on. Could have been referring to anything - general offensive philosophy, the strategy he and Saunders set before the series, the amount of "inside-the-five" practice they got in the previous week, anything.

Posted by: LiberalMike | November 13, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg is not an idiot. That post was extremely physical as are all the posts here on the Bog. It's the most physical bog in the blogshpere. I just think with the way the internet can be and stuff that it's crucial to emphasize what did happen up here with this thing.

Posted by: Geoff | November 13, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Adding to Geoff- this is the Hardest Fought blog on all of da internetz.

Posted by: smperk | November 13, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, we're all in this together up here.

Posted by: Geoff | November 13, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

take pride in the clarity of this bog's approach

Posted by: CreditZard | November 13, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Steinz is a true Redskin.

Posted by: R.J. | November 13, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Espn.com has the skins number 1 in their pride power rankings.

Posted by: Marlene Ramallo Chalmers | November 13, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Great points LiberalMike. I'm all for writers addressing frustrations with the teams but keep it professional. I understand a blog is more of an off the cuff writing but when you pick apart someones quotes and misrepresent them and take them on their face value you're not only disrespecting the coach but also the fans who deserve honesty.

You take a pop shot at the Redskins for editing the press conference ... If clowns like LaCanfora didn't twist quotes and spin things to justify his opinions the Redskins would have never started having press conferences on their website so for you to take any opportunity you have to rip them for it is just petty and childish...which not surprisingly is why they do it.

Posted by: CVille | November 13, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Not so sure it's a good idea, aesthetically, to be putting up more pix of Steinbog.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | November 13, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

That would be the perfect follow up to "Who's Now?"

Introducing "Who's Pride-iest?"

First round matchup; Redskins after a loss vs. Barry Melrose in Newark

Posted by: BucktownSkinsFan | November 13, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd hazard a guess that the way in which the Skins communicate with their fan base--i.e. owning the radio station that broadcasts all of their games and programming and purchasing the effing fan message board--is unique in the NFL, and as a result warrants both examination and mockery from this guy's perspective.

Defending the Snyder Administration and all the good things it's brought us fans really blows my mind.

Posted by: Geoff | November 13, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

it's called the shoulder press. you should try it some time

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to add to Geoff's comments that Dan is a veteran guy, who's been around the blog game for awhile now. He's a team guy. And he's just super smart.

Posted by: Chris Mottram | November 13, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"And here's how Joe Gibbs began his press availability yesterday, according to the team's Web site, which, remember, is part of Daniel Snyder's mission to deliver unfiltered content straight to the masses without the out-of-context media filter..."

Come on, Steinberg. Being so savvy on the Internets, I'm sure you know the videos for all of St. Joe's press conferences are available on the team site following each game. It's not like the text highlights are the only available information.

Posted by: Binky | November 13, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad Snyder put a stop to guys like Steinberg and LaConfora bringing down the Redskins. If they had been allowed to persist in their subversive efforts, it could have led to year after year of turmoil and losing seasons for this franchise. But, thanks to Snyder...no worries there. It's been nothing but winning, consistency and positive results for this team since 1999.

Posted by: Geoff | November 13, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

God bless Dan Snyder. Yep.

Posted by: prophet | November 13, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse