Wiz on the Net: Gil4MVP?
So many fun Wizards links.
* It starts with Gil's interview with SI.com, in which he says a lot of boastful stuff that gets some people mad. In addition to taking shots at Kobe, LeBron, Tim Thomas and assorted NBA point guards while comparing himself favorably to Isiah, Gil said this about his MVP chances:
"If I'm doing what I do and I lead this team to 50-something wins, that's MVP,'' Arenas was saying after his Washington Wizards' practice Thursday. "Hands down.''
* When he was doing what he was doing and the team was on pace for 50 wins last year, MVP talk was all the rage. But I see where this would rub some the wrong way. Like British hoops blogger Oytun, who wrote an open letter to Gilbert:
Wade carried his team to a title, LeBron has taken his mediocre team to the Finals, and Kobe has three rings. What have you got besides a Halo Team and 20 sneakers? I hate to write this but I just feel like you've been straying away from your usual self, and proper fans don't let their heroes stray like that.
Etc. Huge dent in Gilbert's UK appeal.
This is all too indicative of Arenas's descent into. . . I don't know, disagreeableness....Getting more bitter and resentful the more he blows up, that's hard to love. While Gilbert Arenas isn't yet a household name, he's close enough to royalty that this griping comes off as paranoid and petty. The last thing Arenas, or his fans, should want is to see him transformed into an indie Kobe Bryant.
Followed hard by hand-wringing eye-gouging comments from FreeDarkites wondering whether last year's Gilbert Moment may have passed. Dunno, we all thought it was charming when he carried around a list of all the players drafted ahead of him and gladly recorded their various missteps. He's publicly thrown Brendan Haywood and Jarvis Hayes and Eddie Jordan under various large vehicles, and he says these things very earnestly, like they should be common knowledge (Brendan tanks some games, so we can't always count on him). It is, without question, part and parcel of the Gil package. Don't fret too much.
* Gilbertology focuses on Javierology.
* The Wizznutzz preview the Eastern Conference, including, in a rare safe-for-wapo moment, this:
Oleksiy 'Big Oily' Pecherov, tries to get into the silly spirit of the lockerroom, brings powdered donuts to practice, and then laughs as he tells all the guys how he replaced the powdered coating with Polonium!
* Truth About It has already written 80,000 words live-blogging the Wiz games, and was disappointed in the VC crowd. Speaking of which, from the e-mail box, concerning the home opener: "
it was horrifying. the fans were so dead, so non-existent. i was really mortified. at one point i got up and started screaming, asking if there were any wizards fans around, cause i didn't see any, and i asked if they wanted the wizards to win the game, and people were looking at me like i was crazy. it was really sad. i don't know what should be done, but we have to figure out something. this is serious business
Singles night? Extra burritos? A new minicamp for the dance team?
* Here's something to get those fans fired up: Etan Thomas blogging on Huffington Post in defense of Obama. Believe it or not, the post is somewhat earnest in its arguments. Still, Obama is doing much better than the Wiz thus far.
Posted by: iceberg | November 5, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: DBKAlum | November 5, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Gil said this too... | November 5, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | November 5, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: shoals | November 5, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Nancy | November 5, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: truthaboutit.blogspot.com | November 6, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: caphcky | November 6, 2007 4:40 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Bobtimist Prime | November 6, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.