LaRon Landry's Suicide Mission

(Getty Images)

As I was entering the corner of the Redskins locker room where the secondary guys hang out on Sunday night, LaRon Landry was walking toward the shower. I couldn't help but notice the words "Suicide Mission" written neatly in what looked like magic marker across his chest. I was interviewing Demetric Evans at the time, and I asked him about the Suicide Mission thing.

"He's crazy," Evans said. "Be careful man."

A few minutes later I asked Reed Doughty the same question: why did his fellow safety have those words on his chest?

"Because he's crazy," Doughty said. "He's awesome. He doesn't care."

Landry was one of the last ones to leave the locker room, so only three or four players were still there when I finally asked him about the Suicide Mission thing.

"That's how I play, man," he said. "That's the attitude I have each and every game. Play each game like it's my last."

Every now and again, 15 or 20 times an hour, I'm reminded about the differences between professional bloggers and professional athletes. This was one of those times. I carry around a little piece of paper in my wallet that says "I will quit." LaRon Landry writes "Suicide Mission" on his chest with a marker. Same difference, I guess.

He said he's been doing it before every game since his freshman year in high school. He said he thought of the idea himself. I asked how he could write the words so neatly, considering it would turn out backwards if he used a mirror.

"Like I said, I've been doing it for a while," he said with a smile. "So I know how to do it."

I asked if he had a favored writing implement.

"Any kind of marker," he said. "Washable marker, permanent marker, it doesn't matter, as long as it's black."

I said something to the effect of "Wow," or "Whoa," or "Huh."

"Yup," he said. "I'm crazy. That's just the approach you have to have each and every game. Why not give it your all and leave it on the field? If you don't live up to that, why are you doing it?"

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 19, 2007; 10:47 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau and Inches
Next: Mike Wilks's Teammates

Comments

Reminds me a little of Shawn Taylor.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, slight of hand. I meant "Sean Taylor" No disrespect.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Landry just gained a few points in my book. I am definitely looking forward to Landry hits (like the big one last week) for the next decade or so.

Posted by: Icantfeelmyface | December 19, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

and seriously - are we cursed? Arrington, Bailey, Taylor - how incredible could this defense have been given a little better luck and management?

Posted by: Icantfeelmyface | December 19, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't he just to tattoo it on then?

Posted by: ahern inquierer | December 19, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

How is he really different? Don't you post every post as if it were your last?

Sure the motivation and cynicism levels may be a little different.....

Posted by: Kim | December 19, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't he just to tattoo it on then?

I believe Landry is a Jewish name.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | December 19, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

We think every name could be Jewish.

Arenas? Sephardic, no? Purim has his name written all over it. Sukkot, not so much.

Posted by: Evan | December 19, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Assuming, Unsilent Majority, that your reference to Landry being a Jewish name implies that Jews can't be tatooed.

That's incorrect.

There is no Jewish law that dictates that. It is only "old world" tradition and stems from the "new" generation 's memories of Holocaust victims being tatooed.

Posted by: bornafan | December 19, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Stein, if you end every interview with "I'm crazy, I have a note that says I'll quit" maybe your rep will change when they talk about the Sports Bog - people will say "He's crazy, be careful man"

Posted by: Ted | December 19, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Leviticus 19:28-You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

That's pretty much a prohibition, bornafan.

Posted by: Pizzini | December 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

i mean thats whatz ruelliiee goouulldd when it comes down to it

Posted by: ruhunk1 | December 19, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

me and kevin finan are gonna get married

Posted by: ruhunk1 | December 19, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. Late hit and unnecessary roughness penalties for years to come! Keep them drives alives!

Posted by: Brian | December 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pazzini..the key is "for the dead"

As long as you don't "in memory" ..or "RIP"... for someone...tatoos are acceptable.

But..most likely by your handle, you are Italian and I'm SURE you know more about being Jewish than me.

Posted by: bornafan | December 19, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

borna : 10-4 on that and the only current restriction on tattoos is that you cannot be buried in an Orthodox/Kosher cemetary. Straight from my former rebbe. To wit, check out the number of tattooed IDF soldiers, it's substantial.

Also, the word tattoo came from the South Pacific where the technique was invented. Can't say that our people had access when these books were transcribed.

Posted by: evan | December 19, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Fool Landry already has other tatoos.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

He is so right! Here today, gone tomorrow, live everyday as thought it was your last!

Posted by: miashi | December 19, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

guys... Give it a rest! He's not even Jewish!

Posted by: md20j | December 20, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, md20j is right...although Landry *did* attend Hebrew School for a few years, he never got Bar Mitzvah'd, so, you know, tattoos are probably okay. Otherwise, things could have gotten ugly with late-season Saturday games:

LaRon Landry: I told those [bleeps] down at the league office a thousand times that I don't play on Shabbos!
Cooley: What's Shabbos?
LaRon Landry: Saturday, Cooley, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't [bleeping] ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as [bleep]don't [bleeping] play football! Shomer shabbos!
The Smoot: LaRon...
LaRon Landry: Shomer [bleeping] shabbos.
The Smoot: Oh [bleep] it.

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 20, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse