Marcus Pollard's Hair

Rocking the 'Hawk with his logo...

Dear Seattle Fans,

I think you misunderstood me.

I absolutely love people who go to football games dressed as apes. I adore people who wear football jerseys over Burger King costumes, or who wear horns on their heads or claws on their shoulders, or who are dressed like Mexican wrestlers. I consider the screaming of clever insults at the opposing team not just a right but a responsibility. I consider the painting of fan mohawks to be high art.

I'm not at all joking; I think fans are more interesting than athletes, and I think Seattle had some great ones, which doesn't make them any less weird. I mean, most grown men don't go around wearing tight-fitting football pants in social settings, but the hardcores do, in every city, and I love them for that. I'm not sure where that got misinterpreted along the way, but if you'd like please review my coverage of Redskins fans and you'll see it was no different than the items which so angered you below.

Anyhow, athletes can rise into the ether of noble weirdness too, especially when they grow amusing facial hair or, even better, amusing scalp hair. Which is why my new favourite player in these playoffs is Seahawks tight end Marcus Pollard. For obvious reasons. I expect extensive coverage in the Seattle media this week. And I expect at least one Seahawks fan to shave his team's logo into his chest hair.

P.S.: If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be here, without a doubt.

...and his uniform number.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 5, 2008; 11:36 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fans Heckling Sellers
Next: The Seattle Media, Sean Taylor and the Afterlife

Comments

Ichiro takes a liking to DC sports in 5...4...3...2...

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | January 5, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Guy spends one day in Seattle, already he's spelling "favorite" the British way.

Posted by: riggo44 | January 6, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"P.S.: If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be here, without a doubt."

Blasphemer. Kissass, too.

Posted by: Goose | January 6, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

We don't want you....

Posted by: Hawk Fan | January 6, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I flew out to seattle for this game from MD... and if there was anywhere in the world I could live, it would definitely not be HERE!! It would be the DMV are (Dc, Md, Va)... these fans were a bunch of trailer-trash neck reds!!!

Posted by: skinsfan | January 6, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

to add to my last comment, they are ALL also fair-weather fans, who learned about football when the seahawks went to the Super Bowl a few years back...and after talking with a lot of them, they admitted it THEMSELVES!!!

Posted by: skinsfan | January 6, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan. See above. We don't want ya.
And we only have your word that they admitted that. A season ticket holder since the first game, I can tell that, that is not true. (fair weather fans)
Also a comment was made on your fourms that a "buddy" walked up to the ticket window on game day and bought a ticket...
BS. No ticktes available on game day unless by sclaper...... Haven't been since hawks moved to Qwest.

Posted by: Hawk Fan | January 6, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Just ignore it, Hawksfan, as having lived in the Redskins market for the past four months, I can guarantee you that it can't hold a candle to the Emerald City, this is full of possibly the rudest people imaginable, I always thought the Norheast was bad (NY and above), but Maryland/DC is doing their best to take over the title of worst place in America to try to live peacefully, between the ridiculously bad driving, to the fact that people will stare at you and then scuff if you try to give them a friendly hello, I'm deeply missing Mpls. and a society west of the Mississippi.

(And don't even get me started on their awful fandom, local college teams get no support, Orioles fans are non-existent, and the only thing keeping the Wizards afloat is that the Capitals share their arena, making the Wizards seem relevant)

Posted by: Hilarious | January 6, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Seahawk fans need to lay off... The 'skins are just pissed that they haven't been relevant in the NFL since 1991 (1 1st place NFC East finish, No Conf. championship appearances, etc.) And the past two times they have made the playoffs the "Team of destiny" has been knocked off by the Seahawks.

Posted by: Gohawks | January 6, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more Hilarious. I pity the people stuck living in that hell hole.
Hope you enjoyed the visit Dan.........remember to tell everyone that it really does rain here everyday.

BTW.......what is a "neck red"?

Posted by: IntheNW | January 6, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Quick question to the Seahawks fans:

How many Lombardi trophies does your team have?

Posted by: Cornelius | January 6, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry we dont just walk our way into the playoffs every year... we actually play in a REAL division, with REAL contenders.. And we know how to tailgate!!! at my tailgate this week all we did was stare at a Jumper on the top of the train station on the other side of the parking lot... at least we dont have Jumpers back in the D.M.V area who dagger our tailgates!!!!

Posted by: skinsfan | January 6, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sour grapes. Had you not understimated Seattle's team (esp. the defense) and the contributions of the fan noise, maybe your team would have spent their time preparing for it properly instead of talking about #21. RIP Sean Taylor.

Posted by: LRA | January 6, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, feel free to look up the Seahawks winning percentage against NFC East Teams...tougher division and all.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 6, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I was in the stadium...it really wasnt THAT loud...if chris samuels was a TRUE pro-bowler he would not have jumped offsides twice..but i will admit at certain points (like 4-5) it actually was pretty loud in there...but i feel like there have been times where FedEx has been just as loud!!!

Posted by: skinsfan | January 6, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious, you comment shows you know nothing about DC sports franchises. The Wizards are loved far more here than the Caps and have made it to the playoffs the last 3 years.

In fact, the Wizards put a whoppin' on the Seattle "Not so super" Sonics just this afternoon!

You are the hilarious one.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

listen, im not a sore-loser, i will admit you guys just outplayed in us in pretty much all aspects of the game... but dont come at me with this 12th man BS... its not that loud, a little over-rated, if you ask me, and i "experienced" it live...

Posted by: skinsfan | January 6, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinbog, are you aware that you write the "D.C. Sports Bog"? I certainly respect your right to want to live somewhere other than the DMV, but maybe the Sunday after the loss is not the best time, rhetorically, to go around proclaiming your love for the Rainy Hipster Magnet. Just a thought.

It is a truth universal throughout human history that humans who live in one place will make fun of humans who live in other places. Sports teams provide a fun 'n' handy vehicle for this, which helps allow us to not actually have civil wars anymore. (Agreement on the distastefulness of certain aspects as covered earlier this week.) I don't find all the comment chatter particularly impressive. The Bog covered Seattle fans in exactly the same way the Bog covers Redskins fans? Oh, the horror.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 6, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

But, I mean, if you're trying to get the Seattle Post-Intelligencer to hire you, then good luck.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 6, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying, Seattle is durn pretty, and the vegetarian food options are a lot more impressive. All my family is back East, not trying to get anyone to hire me.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 6, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

No O's love is probably cuz their owners sucks and this is D.C. not Bmore (I use to follow them but am now a Nats fan). And please tell me you meant the Caps seem relavent cuz they share a building with the Wiz (no one here cares about hockey). And you only being in the area for 4 months, I'll inform you that local college teams actually get more love from the area than any pro team not named Redskins. I was one of like 6 people that followed the Bullets throughout the 90's, but everyone was either a Terps or Hoyas fan. If the Terps had no following, then how did they get all these shiny, brand new buildings. Drop your stereotypes and make a friend and maybe you would know this.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 6, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

What I meant to say above is not that Seattle is a bad place or that love for it is misguided (I wouldn't know) but that it was strange, as a Redskins fan, to pull up the Bog after the crushing defeat and see Marcus Pollard's hair and an entry addressed to Seattle fans and a brief laudatory mention of that city. We're hurtin' over here in the DMV!

Posted by: Lindemann | January 7, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

oh suck it up nancy boy ... it's not steinberg's job to cheer you up after your team lost ...

I was there in seattle and it is one helluva a place to be ... despite the rain and the obnoxious drunk underaged girl who was wearing a #12 jersey and falling all over me at the game ...

Posted by: littles | January 7, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

How does a post about how Dan regrets that Seattle fans misinterpreted his posts (and addressed directly to those Seattle fans, no less) constitute "news" on a D.C. Sports Bog when a D.C. sports team lost a playoff game the previous day? That's all I'm asking.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 7, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

two things ...

#1 this post was made on gameday, and the Bog was on location (IN SEATTLE) so that makes it relevant

#2 since when do you come to the Bog for "news"?

Posted by: littles | January 7, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

1) Yes, the post was made on gameday...by 24 minutes, according to the time stamp. So what? I saw the post on Sunday, which I daresay is the beginning of the time period in which most people saw it.

2) News, comment, whatever. The relationship of the Bog to (a) Seattle fans or (b) Seattle itself is not germane to the interest of most people reading the Bog.

I'm not interested in having Eternal Comment Thread Beef-A-Roni on this. (So make another post, and you'll win!) It's not like I'm going to "cancel my subscription," which I wouldn't even if I had one. The fact that the Bog took up this topic specifically at that time specifically was odd, and a bit jarring, to me as a D.C. sports fan. That is all.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

(yes, I realize that 11:36 pm ET is 8:36 pm PT, but then again, I live in D.C...)

Posted by: Lindemann | January 7, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

OK, I actually live in Maryland.

I'm really done now.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 7, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Lindemann. I'm all sympathetic to those who love one city, but, for practical reasons, must work in a different one ... but what a strange time to write that! I mean, it's your blog, so you do what you want, but I gotta say it was a surprising thing to read, right after a big loss, in the Washington Post sports section ... a love letter to everything Seattle? Really? That was the right space/time to make good with Seattlans? Just curiously, Dan, did you think about that at the time, or were you just writing out of passion/the moment? PS ... love the blog (seriously). Keep up the good work.

Posted by: goldbaum | January 8, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

The Seahawks have taken two consecutive playoff games from the 'Skins. In the words of Jim Rome, "scoreboard." What else needs to be said?

Posted by: Brad James | January 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Dude, we've got enough vegetarians around here. Go away.

Oh, and skinsfan:

"Sorry we dont just walk our way into the playoffs every year."

and when you do walk in, we're there to escort you back out. In fact, we have playoff wins over the NFC East the last 3 years..

Posted by: Danforth | January 8, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I am Very thank full the owner of this blog. Becouse of this blog is very imformative for me.. And I ask u some thiing You make more this type blog where we can get more knowledge.

Posted by: Prosolution | April 19, 2008 3:10 AM | Report abuse