Todd Collins the Oenophile

Now I'm just in awe. (Preston Keres - TWP)

As part of our continuing effort to provide every detail on the life and times of Todd Collins, from his shoe size to the toppings he prefers on his baked potatoes to his favorite flavor of ChapStick....

You heard how Collins has a nose for fine wine, right? I wondered whether he was actually serious about his grapes.

"Yeah, absolutely," he said. "I'm an Oenophile."

Well then. Not only have the Redskins upgraded their offense over the past four weeks; they're now ever so much more prepared to host a dinner party.

"Morten Andersen kind of got me into it," Collins said of his wine habit. "He has over a thousand bottles or something like that. He was teamed with Damon Huard; he was a teammate of mine from up there in Washington. He introduced some of the Washington wines to me, in particular the Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon. The 2003 got 100 points by Parker in the Wine Advocate. I haven't even tried it yet, to tell you the truth."

Matt Hasselbeck, meanwhile, does ads for Campbell's Chunky Soup. This is gonna be such a mismatch.

Anyhow, according to Quilceda Creek, the 2003 Cab was actually the first Washington wine ever to receive 100 points. Putting aside the bursting notes of symmetry here--Washington state? Maturing well over time? Etc.--it's worth mentioning that the 2003 seems to be retailing for about $330 per. Collins owns a case. He plans to get another case this year. But he isn't a collector on the level of Andersen just yet.

"I just store a couple of cases for the long term," he said. "Generally, 90 percent of the wine you buy today is ready to be consumed immediately."

There was football to practice, and Collins was answering questions from the likes of Sports Illustrated today, and the likes of the Sports Illustrated reporters probably didn't care much about his tasting notes, but before he left for practice I asked what was the best wine he'd ever tried. He said probably some sort of big Cab from Napa, but he couldn't say for sure off the top of his head.

"You know what, I actually write them all down," he said. "I have ratings. I'll get back to you. I'll look it up."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 2, 2008; 4:18 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Noted Briefly From the Skins Locker Room
Next: Playoff Mustache Wars Intensify

Comments

Agent Steinz: your mission is clear - we need Todd's best buy picks ('cuz, uh, $330 per is nice and all, but, uh, yeah, that's a bit out of my price range right now).

I'm thinking a few suggestions under $20. Cheese pairings optional, but appreciated. ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 2, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll settle for something with a cork. I'm tired of screw tops and boxed wine.

Posted by: JP | January 2, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Todd would rate some Mad Dog 20/20

Posted by: G20 Fdacowboys | January 2, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Forget the cheese, add some Smack bars to the mix

Posted by: Rob H. | January 2, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Todd would probably be my back-up QB on my wine connoisseurs NFL team, as I'd have to give Kerry Collins the start due to experience.

Posted by: laz | January 2, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

What's his shoe size?

Posted by: Paul | January 2, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"That's right, Seahawks, the Redskins' QB keeps detailed tasting notes and ratings of all the wines he's tasted. Yeah, you should probably be afraid."
------

I've always wondered what third-string QBs write on those clipboards... glad to see Todd's kept himself busy.

Apparently Patrick Kerney is quite the "oenophile" as well. Perhaps they can compare notes when Patrick drops in on Saturday.

Smack aside, Steinz, the 'Hawks put on a first class media spread. I hope you're making the trip, and bringing your appetite.

Posted by: 206er | January 2, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

In other news, Todd Collins' wine collection is rumored to replace to Jason Campbell's pre game meal of Shrimp Etouffee as the team's strangest personality trait.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | January 2, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I spoke to Collins today. His wine of choice is Franzia. Please enjoy.

Posted by: JDP | January 2, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Steinz ... Hasselbeck is growing a mustache and I had to read about it on Sports by Brooks. Wake up, man! It's the playoffs!

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 2, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

You should have called him a 'winer', sometimes it hurts to learn new words.

Posted by: Kim | January 3, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

How does Todd feel about Opus?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 3, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

You should suggest that he try some Bordeaux and Rhone wines (Pichon-Lalande, Leoville-Las-Cases, Lafite, Mouton, Margaux, Beaucastel, Pegau, Ogier, etc.) - they're awfully good and he could clearly afford the high-end stuff if he likes 'em.

I suppose getting into European wine might seem even more potentially froufrou than the American wines it seems he's been drinking, but honestly, if you're willing to use the word "oenophile", come hard or stay home, right?

Posted by: Josh | January 3, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse