Elijah Dukes Tees Off

Around 7 p.m. on Friday night, Washingtonpost.com master videographer Jon Forsythe, in Viera for Spring Training, went to a local driving range to blow off some steam, or whatever one does at a driving range. And who should he spot in a nearby stall, taking some of the more massive hacks that driving range had likely ever seen? Elijah Dukes, of course. In a move that earned a double extra A+ from the D.C. Sports Bog, Forsythe introduced himself, turned on the video camera and talked some golf with Mr. Dukes.

Forsythe notes that Dukes had a bag full of brand-new Taylor Made r7 irons, which he rarely uses, because he said he only likes his driver. He only began swinging the sticks last November, and said he was at the range on a Friday night because he was bored.

Extreme highlights:

* When Dukes addresses the camera and speaks to "America."

* When Dukes says "I think lessons are in my future."

* When Dukes produces enough sweat to impress Ralph Friedgen running wind sprints in a sauna, and explains the output thus: "You know that saying, 'When you're focused you're gonna probably start breaking a little sweat,' " a saying I had actually not known.

* When Dukes signs off with "Thank you and goodbye for the Golf Digest Edition Part I."

* Not seen in this film, but when Jon first introduced himself and asked Elijah if this would be ok.

"Yeah, I don't see why not," Dukes joked. "It's not like I'm doing anything illegal."

* What happens at 1:45, which will almost certainly be the highlight of Spring Training no matter what happens over the next two weeks. Like, I'm not sure if Dmitri Young arm wrestling Paul Lo Duca blindfolded for a can of baked beans would match this.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 25, 2008; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Flush: The Video
Next: Ben's at the Ballpark

Comments

Titelist dead, dawg.

Posted by: silentbob | February 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

You know, that was a lot of hype you provided for that video. I am commenting to confirm that it was warranted. America! Watch this video! And stay tuned for the Golf Digest Edition Part 2 (hopefully)!

Elijah seems pretty likable in the video, which is a plus.

Posted by: Lindemann | February 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes! This is going to be the most entertaining season ever.

Posted by: Dave M. | February 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Deadspin might as well move its national headquarters to Washington.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | February 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

5 kids, 4 baby mommas, spring training, court dates and he still finds time to work on his golf game. His time management skills are becoming legendary.

Posted by: qualude conduct | February 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I just signed a contract extension with "living in DC" for another 2 years.

Posted by: smperk | February 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

You know, he really doesn't seem like a bad guy from the video and it would be great to see him turn things around. Pretty lighthearted and friendly, especially when he could have easily said "dude, I am just relaxing...give me some space."

Posted by: Mike Sorce | February 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It's obvious that he was torn between just having some fun and acting like he was being interviewed. He cut a nice line between the two.

I have to say that after watching that I like the guy more.

Posted by: Jimmie | February 25, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Pretty terrible swing though... look at that front leg motion.

Posted by: Matt Brown | February 25, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Let's shorten that swing a bit, and quiet the lower body.
Great follow-through, though.

Posted by: david leadbetter | February 26, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing how much this guy has blown up after he threatens his wife & kids' life. He is a superstar for being crazy. Washington you will eventually see the real Elijah.

Posted by: katie | February 26, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse