Wilbon Threatens to Beat Me Down

(If you're opposed to bloggers blogging about columnists talking about bloggers blogging about columnists talking about bloggers, stop reading right now. But it's not like you have that much better to do on a Wednesday morning.)

I suppose it says something either about my e-mail traffic or the audience for Talking Points that I received a sum total of one message alerting me that I might want to watch the beginning of the episode that appears above. And guys, if you wanted me to embed an episode in the Bog, all you needed to do was ask. Instead, about 40 seconds in, we get a dialogue about the D.C. Sports Bog that peaks with this, from Michael Wilbon: "Cheeseboy, if I'm coming after you, I will just come and beat ya ass down....I'm gonna go South Side on you, Cheeseboy. I'm gonna come and beat you down."

Amazing. One minute you're writing about Las Vegas outfits that believe Liberty to be a stronger basketball team than Morgan State, and the next minute a columnist-slash-TV personality is threatening to go South Side on ya ass. The full dialogue is after the jump. I promise never to write about this again. (And just in case there's any confusion, they appeared to be joking, and I'm probably not in any imminent danger.)

TK: Cheeseboy if I'm attacking your blog, I will say, 'And this is about the Cheeseboy.' It wasn't about you....He insulted me. He was very insulting. and he insulted what we do, he insulted this little thing that is excerpted in the Washington Post.

MW: See, the difference between me and you is you try to keep this decorum, and you want to protect our writers. See, the difference now is, I would just say this, 'Cheeseboy, if I'm coming after you, I will just come and beat ya ass down.' "

TK: Good. That was excellent. That was good.

MW: You like that? see I'm gonna go South Side on you, Cheeseboy, I'm gonna come and beat you down.

Cindy Boren: Nooooo.

MW: And it can be done. So I won't have to blog, I won't have to write about you, I won't have to talk about you. Just a beat down.

TK: That was good

CB: But you're skinny now, you can't beat on people.

TK: He can beat the Cheeseboy.

CB: I don't know....

TK: How big is the Cheeseboy? Wait a second, do I have this wrong, the last time I saw the Cheeseboy--now granted that's a long time ago--he looked like a kid in 'Into the Wild' after a while. He didn't weigh anything. Am I wrong on that?

CB: He's a vegetarian, you know.

MW: He's a what?

CB: A vegetarian.

MW: A sportswriter who's a vegetarian? That's another reason.

TK: Wilbon wants to beat him down.

MW: I'm gonna come beat you down.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 27, 2008; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas Ranks the Atlantic 11
Next: Caps Trades: The Blogging Implications

Comments

Please get that on tape, it could be the best fight since Kip rumbled with Napoleon. I really can't see Wilbon ever winning a fight with a guy, even a guy who's a skinny vegetarian with glasses. Expect TK to come at you from behind with a chair though.

Posted by: athea | February 27, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

A peace offering to Wilbon may be in order - I suggest a box of candy.

Posted by: Rob Iola | February 27, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather hear about cheese at the Winter Olympics than American Idol at any time.

Posted by: twoeightnine | February 27, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon seems to be a very violent person. He jokes all the time about issuing beat-downs. Weird.

Posted by: thediesel | February 27, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Who doesn't want to give Steinz a beatdown from time to time?

I'm gonna go Bethesda on your ass!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 27, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Lose-lose situation.

Disadvantage #1: Our Steinz is a veggie monger, therefore he is stereotypically weak and frail.

Disadvantage #2: Wilbon is a stroke victim. Any semblance of a victory by Steinz will result in a, "Post Blogger Assaults Disabled Man" headline in the Metro section.

Posted by: James | February 27, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"...the next minute a columnist-slash-TV personality is..."

You know, instead of using two hyphens and then writing out the word "slash", there's actually a key on most keyboards that provides a pictorial representation of that mark.

Posted by: mrlogical | February 27, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Go Bethesda"

What's that, toss a microbrew in his face and then hug it out at the Tastee Diner?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | February 27, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't think my hero wants to get his pressure raised up sky high.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | February 27, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The fact that a majority of that clip was devoted to 1. Steinz getting a Wilbon beat down and 2. Wilbon and TK slobbering over various chicks makes this well worth a viewing. Bravo.

Posted by: Jake | February 27, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

ba da ba ba baaaaaaaa
i'm lovin it

Posted by: pack4life | February 27, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

A vegetarian?

How did you manage to last in Newark being a vegetarian?

You never succombed to a burger from Jake's?

Posted by: a guy from Newark | February 27, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is a punk who thinks he's better than everybody else.

The Suzy Koebler blog is right.

Washington deserves better than the likes of Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Posted by: Bethesdaguy | February 27, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, it's pretty clear what you need to do to wipe out your emerging enemy. Continue blogging about him and "attacking" him, and he'll come after you. Run away (because that's acceptable for cheese department guys, duh), and he'll have a massive coronary. You'll get away scot free, and he'll become a cautionary tale. Woo-wooo!

Posted by: bubbrubb | February 27, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Steinz should do a profile on Wilbon's childhood. He loves to talk about being a "South Side" guy and the beat-downs from his old neighborhood. Personally, I wouldn't be scared of a beat down from anybody who went to a high school called St. Ignatius College Prep and claims he was a great tennis player. For some reason, this doesn't sound like a true "South Side" upbringing.

Posted by: Ritchie | February 27, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

TK and Wilbon are the ONLY entertainment in this town. Wilbon telling you he's going to beat you down is not only great, but its funny.

Your a punk for blogging and the only prayer I have for you is that you're CHEESE JOB is still open.

Something to fall back on after the "beat down."

Posted by: caphcky | February 27, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I didn't now you were a veggie dude. You hsould have told me taht and I would have stopped tryong to force feed you at my tailgates.

I got your back Dan just tell Wilbon to stop by G20 and we'll light his ass on fire.

Posted by: G20 Fdacowboys | February 27, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Dan, please go to the NBA draft this summer so we can go heckle both cheese boy amd mr cheez doodles

Posted by: 1234 | February 27, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm just amazed that it wasn't for the talk about you, Dan, there would have been nothing Washington area-related during the entire 15 minute video. If I want to hear Tony and Mike talk about the Oscars, Tiger Woods and Tennesse basketball, I can watch PTI. Does the Post really pay Tony Kornheiser just to do this? What's the point? If they're going to do it, at least talk about the Nats or the Caps or the Wizards or ACC basketball.

Posted by: The Fingerman | February 27, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Come on Stein, Wilbon did say at the end that he likes you - "I like Dan Steinburg".

Posted by: Ted | February 27, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't part of Wilbon's South Side cred that he played, er, tennis in high school? I doubt if he's ever been in the neighborhood of a beat down in his life.

Posted by: mike8 | February 27, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is the thinnest skinned public figure I've ever seen. He blasts people for hours daily yet can't take the slightest criticism. He makes Richard Nixon look secure.

Posted by: bowie | February 27, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm battle-hardened from my time in College Park. It takes discipline to drink beer at a bar after seeing a cockroach crawl up a guy's glass.

Posted by: Red Sox Monster | February 28, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon is hard, he played tennis growing up. I'd walk away from this one, Dan.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | February 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse