D.C. United Lands an MTV Star

Freddy Adu might be long gone from so-called Estadio RFK, but JoJo's influence lives on. D.C. United's newly acuired defender Mike Zaher--whose acquisition can be read about on Behind the Badge and Soccer Insider--once played the leading man in JoJo's video for "Too Little Too Late." Many of his teammates also appeared in supporting roles, although rest assured that the players "abided fully by NCAA legislation to retain their eligibility."

At the time, Internet speculation had "Too Little Too Late" carrying some major Freddy overtones, or undertones, or atonal tones, but USA Today's Beau Dure wrote last year that 'twas not so:

[Adu's] relationship with pop icon JoJo is on hiatus, though he says they're on a break. (And no, the song Too Little, Too Late, which features an inattentive soccer-playing boyfriend in the video, isn't about him.)

As for Zaher's future in music videos, here's what he told the Daily Bruin: "If I get a chance, who knows, maybe I'll give it another shot. I could probably try it out after college, but for now I'm just sticking with the whole soccer gig."

Either way, I'd strongly suggest that D.C. United give Freddy's old stall to Zaher, just for the symmetry of it all. And maybe ask JoJo to spend a day with the Barra Brava or something. Ok, meet your new defender:

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 3, 2008; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Fans Like to Dance
Next: Boudreau on the Big Screen

Comments

First hahahahahahahahaha !!!

Posted by: 135 | April 3, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Now THIS is what I call quality journalism...

Posted by: Joe Pulitzer | April 3, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago in Foxboro, JoJo actually DID come down and watch one of Freddy's DC games with a small contingent of roadtripping Screaming Eagles for a few minutes.

Posted by: Paul | April 3, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

he looks like he's 30

Posted by: Glenn | April 3, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, I kinda wish he were a Red Bull. The supporters groups would have a ball with this one.

Still not worse than the landycakes water foutain photo.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow.
I have visions of some sort of "Where are you Now" reality television show coming out in like 2030 with all three of them participating.

A futuristic version of the Reunion show...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 3, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Can I have those 4 minutes of my life back please?

Posted by: Poop | April 3, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Poor guy didn't score, did he...

Posted by: Get back, Jojo | April 3, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Jailbait in the rain! Nice! Now I am looking at Freddy Adu in a completely new light. Maybe his loafers are a little heavier than I thought!

Posted by: Alan | April 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

But can he play?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jailbait in the rain!
Posted by: Alan | April 3, 2008 07:23 PM
Before I finished reading the post or even saw that the video was embedded, that was my first though. I stand by what I said on BS.
Regardless, it was nice not knowing you, Mike Zaher.

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 2:42 AM | Report abuse

*thought

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 2:49 AM | Report abuse

The ball on her floor cannot be found anywhere. Seriously, go try to buy a soccer ball that isn't silver or red or covered in print. The classic white/black ball design no longer exists.

And yes, that is my one enduring thought on this video.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 4, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Um, no one here can actually pretend that that song isn't catchy as hell

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 4:44 AM | Report abuse