Redskins Cheerleaders Take On India, Cricket

The Bangalore Royal Challengers.

If I could have broken this story before the team sent out the press release and written a first sentence like this, I think I'd be willing to call it a career. Here you go.

"The Washington Redskins Cheerleaders, deemed the 'First Ladies of Football,' will be traveling to India on April 10th to create the first ever cheerleading squad in that country for cricket's Royal Challengers Bangalore, part of the new Indian Premier League (IPL), in their inaugural game on April 18th."

From Sports Illustrated to Indian cricket.

But of course they are.

More from the release: Twelve cheerleaders, 18 days, four cricket games, a second wave of training and the following claim: "By the time this project is complete, the Redskins Cheerleading department will have spent over 10 weeks creating a new cheerleading world in India."

If you want to know more about the Royal Challengers, familiarize yourself here:

The Bangalore Royal Challengers team was launched amidst flashing lights and a resurgent party spirit at the Taj West End Hotel lawns here on Wednesday night.

Mr. Vijay Mallya, Chairman, UB Group, who owns the Bangalore franchise, said: "We have a solid, dependable and high-performance team which can play well under pressure. I am confident my team will win."

The team colours, a mix of red with a yellow tinge, was also unveiled.

Of course, who could ever forget the controversy that erupted when new coach Venkatesh Prasad mistakenly suggested the team's colors would be scarlet with a gold tinge?

Don't forget that Papa John's British-born CEO Nigel Travis once presented cricket gear to both Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. Or that the owner of the Challengers is a liquor baron. Or that famous Bangalore designer Manoviraj Khosla will be designing the cheerleading uniforms.

Either way, I'm anticipating the launch of Royal Challengers Unfiltered, which should counteract the anti-Vijay Mallya bias of the Indian press corps.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 9, 2008; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mystics Take Langhorne
Next: TK Continues to Win Argument Against Nobody

Comments

?!?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 9, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I see what you did there.

Posted by: Me | April 9, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Agent Bog's special to the Onion.

Posted by: JDP | April 9, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The U.S.A. is a net exporter of cheerleaders. It helps our trade imbalance.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Can I be the first to proudly state that I have been excited about the Royal Challengers' debut since long before the 'Skins got involved?

I think they have a solid team and will do well.

Posted by: Gary | April 10, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

I think they have a solid team and will do well.

Posted by: Gary Butterworth | April 10, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

IPL should be incredible based on the star power and money pouring into it. Anyone know where we can get these matches on TV here in the US?

Posted by: Eric G | April 10, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

You can get the IPL (Indian Premier League) matches on Dish Network Cricket or Directv Cricket Ticket. You can watch cricket matches online at www.willow.tv

Posted by: nik | April 10, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be better to just cut to the chase and exports Scores dancers instead.

Same job definition without the puritan modesty about what it is they do and why men like them both so much.

Posted by: Terry | April 24, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse