D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Steve Czaban

Perhaps you've seen this feature on Deadspin. Perhaps you're familiar with it from further back, at the always-excellent Boston Sports Media. Perhaps you've noticed that hot D.C. sports blogging topics are fairly non-existent from May through August.

Which is why I'm now presenting the D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings, a shamelessly stolen concept that (over the next few months) will allow us to rate and compare our favorite and less-than favorite D.C. sports media personalities, including entrants from sports talk radio, local television, broadcast teams, newspapers and Larry Michael.

To start, I figured we should choose the most polarizing, most controversial, most talked-about and trend-setting figure in the D.C. Sports Media. Then I realized that linchpin of the D.C. Sports Media scene was most likely Steve Czaban. Which probably tells you all you need to know about the D.C. Sports Media.

Czaban has worked in radio for nearly two decades, spending time at Sporting News Radio, ESPN Radio and Fox Sports Radio. He hosts both the nationally syndicated "First Team on Fox" in the AM and WTEM's "The Sports Reporters" in the PM. He has a blog, and he used to have a television gig with Comcast SportsyNet.

He's a native of Fairfax County, a graduate of UC Santa Barbara, and an occasional user of the first-person plural when talking about certain local sports teams.

Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge Steve Czaban. Choose carefully, and offer explanation below.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 27, 2008; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dmitri Young and the Running Bear
Next: Caron Butler's Movie Debut

Comments

I take enormous pleasure in being the first vote and giving him, at least at the start, a 100% disapproval rating.

Posted by: pondaz | May 27, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Thumbs up, except when politics come up.

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 27, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

btw, I think Mr Tony is still the most polarizing figure in DC Sports Media.

Just look at the wildly-divergent tone of articles on the blogosphere when the buyout was announced.

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 27, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Even John Feinstein is conflicted.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 27, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Grade A Pasteurized Douche. Disapprove.

Posted by: Ben | May 27, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Czaban is knowledgeable, but he's such a Class-A jerk, it's unpleasant to listen to him. I guess he thinks he's created some sort of "persona", but he just comes across as an arrogant, self-centered jackass who knows about half as much as he thinks he does. He should tone the act down. It gets in the way.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | May 27, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I approve this new feature, but overwhelmingly disapprove that you didn't jump it off with Steve Buckhantz.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 27, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

He is a complete moron who is only interested in being controversial not informative. He just talkt to hear the sound of his own voice.

Posted by: John | May 27, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

2/3rds approve? What?

I welcome those who approve to defend that stance, because I honestly can't fathom it.

Posted by: pondaz | May 27, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove. I think Dan Boy took his virginity or something...

Posted by: Salsincere | May 27, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Enough Said | May 27, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove. He's so bad I can't even listen to his show...and even takes me a few minutes to swerve off WJKF after 7 pm. Sports radio has become more "juiced-up" than the athletes - which is sick.

Maybe if the Gauchos were in the Atlantic 11....

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 27, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, let's see . . . ALL the hockey geeks hate him . . . the people who hate JLC hate him (because he also rips the Danny and Vinny frequently) . . . he's a pretty nasty, narrow-minded guy sometimes (so rare in sports radio, I know).

To me, he's pretty listenable; he DOES drive me away now and again with the rants, but he's your basic sports talk yakker. Slightly above average.

Posted by: TMU | May 27, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

While I appreciate that he is one of the few people not to drink the Redskins kool-aid, he is unbelievably obnoxious on almost every other subject.

Posted by: Aaron S | May 27, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

As someone above mentioned, he doesn't know half of what he claims to know, and he's annoyingly dismissive of most topics that don't involve the Redskins. And yet he's still kind of interesting to listen to, at least on the Sports Reporters show

Posted by: Fingerman | May 27, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Given the state of sports radio in DC, he might be the best we've got. So, i approve...but only marginally. I want Feldy's show back!

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | May 27, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove: Every major media market needs a loudmouth, "tell it like it is", sports radio guy. He's the closest the DC area has. However, he's not knowledgeable enough on most sports to pull it off effectively and speaks predominantly to the overweight, white, upper middle class demographic. His lazy, passive analysis (albeit high in decibels) seems to fit in a lazy, passive sports town....

Posted by: Yodelay | May 27, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Next . . . ANDY POLLEY!

Posted by: TMU | May 27, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I approve. Whether I disagree with him or not, I thoroughly enjoy the Sports Reporters on 980 and listen to it every day on my drive home. I think he has good chemistry with Andy Pollie and the guests on the show, I don't think he detracts from it in any way.

Czaban's not a completely ego-maniacal blowhard like the talk-show hosts in some cities, as he gets along well with his cohosts and only puts down callers when they deserve it. To the contrary, sometimes he shows genuine interest in what the callers have to say and will give them credit when they come up with an interesting theory or make a good point.

I am not a big fan of the 8:00 hour of his morning show; the 80's rewind, tube patrol, and the homer roll are largely lame filler, but when I lived in Philly for a year, hearing his nationally-syndicated show in the morning was one of the few things that made me feel at home.

If you want to hear a real blowhard jackass sports show host, move to Philly. Compared to them, Czabe is a teddy bear.

Posted by: Mike | May 27, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How is Czaban (sp?) knowledgeable? There are so many times where he will guesstimate a statistic, for example, a few weeks back, he had Sam Smith on his AM show and just threw out there (sic) "Wasn't Chris Paul like the 7th pick?" CP3 was actually the 4th pick, which could have been noted with some quick research prior to having an NBA beatwriter/columnist on your show.

Just goes to show how ill-prepared he is. He'll also counter arguments with phrases such as "Oh yeah, like who/when/what/where" as if he is leaving the responsibilty of providing facts to his counterpart (typically Andy Pollin - sp?).

His soundbites are also awful, from "Oh yeah, that's a good one," to "That was a cheap shot" Why do I listen to him, NOT the same reason why so many people listen to Howard Stern, simply it is b/c Mike & Mike go through 10 mins of commercials (it seems), so I need to get my sports fix. I also like hearing local sports talk, hence my reason for listening to him during the PM drive.

Posted by: CN | May 27, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

We are talking sports, correct? With the internet runnng 24 x 7 sports,the 24 x 7 sports on TV and radio, sports "talk" radio is nothing more than an addition to the glut.

There are very few people who can fill a 2 - 4 hour show with "information" that anyone could find fully interesting. What Czaban does is "sports-tainment". I don't think he has ever stated that he is the be all end all of all sports, all topics. He is just one guy, one voice, one opinion.

If you listen to Czaban you get exactly what you expect from his type of show - score and news updates every 20 minutes, local and national celeberties giving 4-7 minute interviews, stories that have no barring on anything or anybody and opnion. Lot's of opinion.

There is no question that Czaban can be a total wind bag. So what? If you listen to talk radio of any kind that is all you are getting. Could be Stern, Imus, Dr. Laura, The Grease Man, The Junkies or even the Faboulous Sports babe. None of them have one topic they stick to and none really have anything to say that a 4th grade boy couldn't articulated based on things he has read on bathroom stalls.

It boils down to the occasional story or message that gets you thinking in agreement or in disagrement that keeps people listening. Czaban hits more than he misses. In entertaiment isn't that what counts?

Based on crap the WTEM puts on the air (the everything is a black/white thing John Thompson being the worst offender of having nothing of value to add, ever) Czaban has success in what he does and I hope he is allowed to do it for a long, long time.

Phil Woods should be given a full time radio gig during the baseball season. He is worth listening to and seems to be one of a very few sports radio people that knows what his expertise is and sticks to it. You can't listen to Phil and not learn something and remain engaged.

Posted by: Tom | May 27, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Czaban should be put in a room with Gary Braun to see who could talk over the other the best while sucking all the air out of the room

Posted by: joe | May 27, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Approve. Number 1, he's genuinely funny. Number 2, as noted above he does have good chemistry with Andy and the guests on the Sports Reporters.
I don't like him as much in the morning, but still find him more enjoyable than ESPN radio and the other talk competition.

Posted by: bowiemd1 | May 27, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't listen to Czaban much in the a.m, because the national show is pretty much generic and not that funny, but his show is still MILES better than Mike and Mike. ESPN made the decision that the boys are "personalities", which apparently relieves any obligation to actually put on a listenable program. M&M are just dreadful; I'd much rather listen to Czabe.

Posted by: TMU | May 27, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is the worst.

$5 says he and la canfora are blood relatives.

Posted by: Barno | May 27, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I have to say 51% approve only because Czabe is a talented broadcaster. Andy Polley is absolutely un-listenable without him. He also is not afraid to admit when he is wrong (which is often). The bad... He's self-righteous. He's a dismissive suburbanite who's scared of and hates anything about the District. He's a Rush ditto-head. And he's absolutely obsessed with race. (Count how many times he has to bring up white or black when it has nothing to do with the subject.)

Posted by: gary in dc | May 27, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno: Don't worry, Larry Michael will be back soon. You'll have all the Skins Kool-Aid you can drink.

Posted by: TMU | May 27, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

btw, I think Mr Tony is still the most polarizing figure in DC Sports Media.

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 27, 2008 11:35 AM

I agree.

In fact, I bet if you polled DC sports fans, you'd find the overwhelming vast majority have never even heard of Steve Czaban.

Posted by: Barno | May 27, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Where is the "meh" button?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | May 27, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Only guy worse than the Czabe is Larry Michael.

Posted by: Colin | May 27, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy the Steve and Andy show for years. The Sports reporters know how to stick it to the local sports teams and rightfully so. Because c'mon people our teams stink, they need a wake up call, I'm so tired of all this losing. If these guys don't say anything who will. I approve of Steve C and company and give us more , its great stuff.

Posted by: probo | May 27, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is gifted as a yakker, but hard to take. He could be a lot better if management kept him on a leash. I remember about 10 years ago he sexually harassed a female intern while on the air. It was humiliating (for all involved and all who had tuned in).

Dan, you can't just give us yea and nea options. How about a sliding scale?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Mostly Harmless

Posted by: as Douglas Adams says | May 27, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

He's still on the radio?

Posted by: Patrick | May 27, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Blogdog,
if your talking sports media in this town look no further the the JUNKIES 106.7 fm mornings 5:30-10:00 am they are born and raised here and have enough knowledge to seperate themselves from homers yet still fully support and are true fans of the home teams.

Posted by: i got work | May 27, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Thanks for walking me down the plank FIRST on this. My only gripe is your phrase about what "it says" about the D.C. sports market that I am the "lynch pin."

Who is a better, more credible "lynch pin" in their markets in terms of sports radio?

Mike and Mad Dog in NYC?
Eskin or Cataldi in Philly.
Mike North in Chicago.
Two Live Stews in Atlanta.
Dan LeBetard in Miami.
Dennis and Callahan in Boston.

Hey, somebody has to be front and center in certain markets, how is my resume not worthy of that?

Otherwise, nice blog. Please print out only the negative comments and send them to my wife so she can say: "See, I told you!"

SC

Posted by: Steve Czaban | May 27, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

approve. people who have lived elsewhere know that sports radio personalities can be A LOT more abrasive and A LOT more obnoxious. i like czaban. he takes extreme positions, but you don't get the sense that he 100% believes them (unless he's attacking snyder, but that's fine by me also). he's having a good time, he's generating conversation. that's what i do with my friends. it's a fundamental reason i enjoy sports.

the chemistry between czaban and polin (as the voice of reason) is perfect. i get the feeling sometimes that mike&mike are just trying to fill space with annoying topics given to them by producers. czaban and polin generate original comments, don't get stuck on one subject for too long, and are willing to take callers. as a matter of fact, i think they're better than ALL espn radio personalities...better than stephen a smith, better than milquetoast dan patrick and his milquetoast replacement mike trico, SO MUCH BETTER THAN colin cowherd.

i do like riggins, but i've stayed with the sports reporters. the one place where czabe loses big points from me is his dismissal of the caps, but he's not the only one to do that in DC, he's just the only one to speak openly about it.

Posted by: kyle | May 27, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Whattup Czabe, thanks for stopping by. The linchpin (or "lynchpin") thing was more a shot at everyone else, and possibly an unfair shot. I'm no media critic, and I wasn't here in the '80s, but my impression is that the WaPo might have been the engine driving local sports debate two decades ago. Now, for better or worse, it's you. That's all I meant.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | May 27, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I do NOT dismiss the Caps. I dismiss HOCKEY talk as a viable vehicle on Sports Radio. There are lots of reasons for this, and we can hash them out at a later time, for as long as we need. But two things need to be known.

2. I was the kid who went to 41 of 41 Caps home games when I was 16 years old with my buddy Andy Janowiak and his parents sweet-ass tickets.

So don't lecture me about liking the Caps.

SC

Posted by: Czabe | May 27, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove, but salvageable. Czaban does seem to either try too hard to be controversial or is genuinely an asshat. He's okay at times. I prefer the supporting cast. Al Galdi's the Man. ("...on SportsTalk 9-'Iddy.'")
I do tend to enjoy Czaban's "Mean streets of McLean" stories.

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | May 27, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

another comment on czaban:
he works pretty damn hard. two radio shows, a daily blog, and intermittent TV appearances. i appreciate that he seems to enjoy his job, because as fans i think we all assume "man, if i were able to talk sports all day, that would be THE LIFE!" and yet a lot of ESPN people or talk radio people in other cities just seem to spew hate or generally dislike sports.

Posted by: kyle | May 27, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Steve Czaban is the worst, next to "Smokin" Al Coken

Posted by: sicwidit | May 27, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan!

Your shameless attempt to get me to talk about this at 4 today, has worked. It'll be front and center.

As for "linchpin" of the market, here's the quick DC mount rushmore if you will.

Ken Beatrice
Warner Wolf
George Michael
Tony Kornheiser

not that i liked all equally or disliked them, but for relevance and longevity, that's the big four.

sc

Posted by: Steve Czaban | May 27, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Czabe,

Gotta throw Glen Brenner on that mount rushmore.

-Barno

Posted by: Barno | May 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Czabe,

It's not about dismissing or disliking the Caps. It's about actively undermining the team with snide remarks and backhanded insults.

You don't have to devote drive-time, but you don't have to screen every caller either.

-The Guy who called you a Grade A Pasteurized Douche

Posted by: Ben | May 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Any monument or national park that features Ken Beatrice will not be a vacation destination for my family.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Inexplicably, I have many shows and commitments. Each day, I have time for a brief scan of the Post sports section and a quick look at some sports blogs. Just because I'm a local sports talk radio celeb, don't expect any particular expertise/insight/insider access. I'm LOUD, dammit, and I will shout you callers down with my ill-informed opinions if you don't advance my lame narrative. Man, it's a good thing noone can tune into the Boy King's low-watt sports stations....

(insert dated Simpsons sound byte here)

Posted by: Bizarro Steve Czaban | May 27, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

i don't know, czabe. i love your radio show, and i love your blog. i think you're awesome at what you do (hey, we're even both alumni of the langley high saxons!)

i understand that you're a caps fan.

and i've heard your spiel about hockey talk not generating ratings on radio. you may be 100% correct. it's your industry.

but pollin doesn't co-host your blog posts, and i don't see a lot of caps on your blog, either. they're run to the playoffs this year was literally stunning (11 of their last 12!). seems to me that you've dismissed both hockey talk and caps talk...and you've done so both on radio and online. not one caps-related post since march 12th (the beginning of the run), or am i missing one?

i meant exactly what i said, you "dismiss the caps." i didn't say you didn't like the caps, or that you didn't know hockey. you just don't talk about the capitals, or about hockey. and maybe i'm in the minority, but i wish you would.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

thanks for mentioning Brenner, Czabe.

Posted by: Barno | May 27, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is so lonely without Andy, Kevin, and Thom.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 27, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Best DC Sports radio guy in the market. He has opinions and backs them up with facts. His morning show is the best nationally.

Posted by: IceBurgh | May 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

this is like my 5th comment on the subject, so hopefully this is the last:

The primary reason I disapprove of Steve Czaban is because of the way he mocked Joe Gibbs these past few years.

Gibbs was the reason for so much joy for Washintonians during the 1981-92 years, he clearly poured his heart and soul into the team during these past 4 seasons, and didn't deserve to be mocked and accused of being a liar over and over and over again by Czaban.

Posted by: Barno | May 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Was he sexually harassing Lindsay Czarniak?

Posted by: Jose Oquendo | May 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Steve is the bomb! He is insightful, sarcastic, and quite funny. Not to mention his chemistry with Andy Polly and the other sports reporters....GO Seve!

Posted by: Prince | May 27, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

APPROVE: Thoroughly enjoy both shows. For those of you who disapprove, think about it this way: would you rather have a shill that agrees with everything and won't challenge popular "soft" opinions or someone that gets you fired up?

Posted by: CAP SPACE BUFFET CLEARER | May 27, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It's approval. I'm on a different part of the political spectrum, but I find Czabe's morning show on FOX to be extremely professional radio. Thank goodness for XM142. However, he's often prone to going overboard in his "Andy's Foil" role on TSR, but in general, it's entertaining. Everyone in broadcasting needs to stop listening to the suits that preach that hockey kills ratings. Personally, I couldn't care less about the boring and endless NBA, but you can hear that even broadcasters that like The Good Ol' Hockey Game are throttling back on their own enthusiasm, undoubtedly because they have to answer to a "higher authority". Brenner, Wood, Beatrice, and maybe Czabe are my 4. King George was a pathetic windbag at sports, too bad Top40 died before he did.

Posted by: FrankG | May 27, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BUFFET CAP SPACE CLEARER | May 27, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Until satellite radio came along, WTEM was the only thing that made the evening ride home bearable.

I don't understand why Andy Polley takes calls, given that he obviously hates
all callers.

Knoche is my favorite guest on TSR.

Joe Barber's laugh and Jeanne McManus' sighs almost bring Kornheiser's latest incarnation to a stop.

The Nigel, Polley, Braun, TK show was untouchable.

Posted by: evening rush hour | May 27, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

This Czaben guy is a sick person. We use to email back and forth. The man could bring heat on the radio. But in reality he is a little scared former band nerd from high school.

He said he was going to tell the authoties that i kept emailing him. I made no threats. Or anything like that. I just gave to him like he gave it to Gibbs. And he acted like a scared school boy. I AM GOING TO TELL THE PRINCIBLE!

It just makes you laugh. These guys giving it to these athletes and coaches hard are just putting on a front. In reality they would liketo avoid problems at all cost. Thats why they go into radio. Talk about people but not to anyones face

Posted by: Martin | May 27, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Hell, Doc Walker says some of the most inane things and borders Emmitt Smith-isms (i.e. "debacled") but doesn't have the national platform for it, but no one complains about him locally."

I like Doc's show. The man expresses a lot of passion, and his posse seems like they really have a good time together (on and off the radio).

Posted by: evening rush hour | May 27, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

My biggest curiosity about Czaban is why he publicly rides Jerry Coleman so much. Now THAT makes for some uncomfortable radio.

Posted by: evening rush hour | May 27, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

And do not get me wrong. Even though Czaben acts like a scared school boy. He is 10 times better than Riggins. That is only because Riggins is a clown who can't speak.

I am not mad at Czaben anymore. Even though he said he was going ot try to get me in trouble.

These guys are just doing what they know to make money. Everyone has a job todo. Its a dog eat dog world. Him bashing and mocking Joe Gibbs while his grandson has cancer and he was closing in on retirement is what he does to make money.

I might not do the same thing.But the more bland you are the more likely you will be just a boring weekend host on fox sports radio.

Posted by: Martin | May 27, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

My third comment. To follow up. At first i did not understand why guys like Czaben could be so mean and hateful.

But a Czaben is not established even though he is on a foxsports.( a crappy radio station)

A Dan Patrick is a rich guy. So he can be funny without being hurtful.

A Mike Terico who is boring. Can be the same way. These guys have made it.

If a Czaben gets boring and offers only truthful things he might be relegated to the 6 pm shift on a saturday on FSR. If you heard how boring those guys are can see why they have that shift.

I use to hate Czaben through the emails . And it got heated. He said he would call the cops on me if i did not stop emailing me.

But then i figured out he may be a scared guy who is scared of arguments . He is not the same guy who is on the radio who is a rebel and will take on anybody.

Then i understood why he acts that way he does.

If you say Joe Gibbs is a hall of fame coach and we are glad for his service. That = MR.boring.

If you say Joe Gibbs came back for the money. You will be on all the blogs and your name is out there.

Posted by: Martin | May 27, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

APPROVE: Czaban is not an idiot. He just plays one on the radio.

He is opinionated and fearless in mocking the establishment. Especially the Redskins, and the incompetent boobs, (bad choice of words here, I like boobs), who have ruined my favorite sports franchise. This includes Gibbs, who was a wimpy shadow of the Hall of Famer that brought the Skins 3 titles back in the day.

The King is Dead, well, not dead, but on his farm trying to sell some horses. Long live the King. Tear em' up Czabe.

Posted by: TJ | May 27, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL Joe Gibbs was always nice and conservative you clown TJ.

When the Redskins fo 4-12 this year with Jim i was a crappy QB Zorn you will see how competitive the Gibbs made the redskins.

When the idiot players are already complimenting Zorn for the freedom thats a bad sign. FREEDOM is bad. We as humans do not do well with freedom. We need structure.

Posted by: Martin | May 27, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

APPROVE. Czabe is great. He makes the drive home MUCH more bearable on the Sports Reporters. And when he's not on, the other Sports Reporters are honestly boring and unlistenable sometimes that I turn the dial.

Same with his morning show. Before he had his own morning show, I listened to Mike & Mike on ESPN for 2 years. They were good in the beginning, but I soon got very annoyed by their on-radio personas (ie. Greeny = unmanly, can't lift a paper clip; Golic = fat slob who's dumb and loves to eat). I love that Czabe now has his own show so I don't have to listen to M&M. And his morning sub Chris Moore is also boring and unlistenable. I actually feel uncomfortable when Chris Moore interviews guests b/c he's that bad.

Czabe is a HOST, not an EXPERT so he's not going to know everything and be right every time. And I appreciate the fact that he has a pretty realistic view of local sports teams and doesn't drink the Redskins kool-aid.

Keep up the good work, Czabe!

Posted by: SYP | May 27, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is the best thing on WTEM. Which is more a testimony to how much the station SUCKS than how great Czaban is. But Czaban is okay. He should ditch that dead wood Andy Pollin though.

Posted by: Joe | May 27, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Exampple of how much a idiot Czaben is

The year the Pistons beat the Lakers in the finals. That moron Czaben has some argument howLarry Browns 1 title and 1 national title in college is better than Phil Jackson 9 titles. " He earned it"

How do you earn a title jumping from team to team?

He is a shock jock who is not factual.

I have not listen to him in 4 yrs. Then i put it on since i was back in DC. The man said Lebron James and Ginobli were the best closers in the NBA.

WTF? Its fine you don't watch the NBA. But do make silly comments.

Posted by: James | May 27, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Czaben is the typical idiot who bashes the NBA and praises golf because of " ratings"

Of course golf will get better ratings in america. More white americans like golf than the NBA. You know why? White people are the majority in golf.

The NBA and soccer are world wide sports.

But czaben is the typical idiot white guy sports host. THE LAKERS ONLY GOT A 4.2 RATING !

Yes we know middle america white people think the NBA players have too many tatoos. Go play your golf now .

Posted by: Disapprove IDIOT CZABEN | May 27, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Czaban: stop the doublespeak on the Caps. If you IGNORE them and won't talk about them on the radio, who the hell cares whether you went to 41 home games back in 1980? With "friends" like you, they don't need enemies. But your worst nightmare is coming true. The Caps are going to be huge over the next few years and you and your idiot partner will be FORCED to talk about them.

Posted by: Jim | May 27, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Its hard ro respect Czaben because even when he makes smartcomments hemakes so many dumb ones you don't take anything seriously.

And like the post above everyone knows he is the same guy off mike as he is on mike.

He is the typical middle aged fat guy who likes golf who has a loud mouth. No different than anyone talking at a starbucks in DC. He has never played sports.

The only difference is that he has a radio show.

Posted by: Steve | May 27, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

CZABEN YOU ARE NOT the 1 guy on the sports radio market in DC. Stop trying to make yourself feel good.

You are the only sports radio host with a drive time show. The Redskins station is horrible and full of national radio.

You are not respected. Working on Fox sports radio is no accomplishment. James Washington has show on that station.

You are not a Kobe like figure where millions love you or hate you.

You are just seen as a joke. There is no competition in DC.

Posted by: Richard | May 27, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Jim. For Czaban to proclaim that he's such a Caps fan is laughable when he not only ignores the sport on his show but ridicules the sport, the team and its fans regularly. I also agree the Czaban and Pollin will be forced to jump on the Caps bandwagon as the team become elite, just as they did during the playoffs this season. Seeing those guys, and WTEM in general, scramble to suddenly become hockey friendly when the Caps were the talk of the town was beyond pathetic.

Posted by: DCSportsFan | May 27, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

If I get more negative votes than positive votes, it's Michelle Wie's fault. And Danica Patrick's. And Christine Brennan's.

Posted by: Czabe | May 27, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Martha Burke, Czabe.

It's a vast feminist conspiracy to sink your ratings.

Besides, I think we can attribute most of the actual positive votes to Scotty or Galdi.

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 27, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Approve. Steve and Andy are the best duo in drive time since Trumble and Core. Yeah, that dates me and yes, I listened to Don and Mike. I just like the interaction between the straight man (Andy) and the joker (Steve). Beats the heck out of the John Thompson show...

I also listen to Steve in the mornings. The show is best when the regulars (Steve, Solly, Scott and Galdi) are together.

Posted by: JimCo | May 27, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Czaben jokes so much he is not funny. Its ok or the occational sarcastic joke like Dan Patrick. When you jokeso much yet you are not funny like a Barkey people hate you.

If Czaben was funny he would be loved like Barkley. But his humor is just rude.

Posted by: Kevin | May 27, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Czaben is voting for himself.My God. I see why hecomes off as a idiot.

He hates being in his own skin. He is trying to convince himself he is a good host and not disliked.

He is posting comments on his own roast.

Posted by: Charles | May 27, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Why does Czaben hate sports women. Michell Wie? Danica Patrick?

Is he mad that despite his height he could not play sports yet these women are doing highly competitive things and making millions for it?

Jealousy? YEP. Thats what you get from spots radio host. Sports radio is usually a job that came out of no where. No kid grows up and says i want TO HOST FSR!

Posted by: Stacy | May 27, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I DESPISE Steve Czaban....he is a egotiscal know it all who knows very little.

He should be fired and make the world a better place.

Posted by: Lisa | May 27, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

You notice how he has problem with young attractive females doing well in sports?

It must be hard that a Michell Wie does something 30 times betterthan he will ever do and that is his passion.

Don't be mad at the women CZABE! Be mad at God. Some people are not blessed with looks or sports talent,

Posted by: Stacy | May 27, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

To make things clear how much of a STUDIO BULLY Czaben is.

HE SAID HE WOULD REPORT ME TO THE AUTHITIES because i emailed him. I made no threats. The only thing i did maybe is call him a B and write in CAP letters once. He was so scared. Like i was in the mafia or sopranos.

I started to feel bad for him. The man has problems.

He is like that guy who while driving and puts the middle finger at some 6'7 250 pound menance walking on the street because he knows he will never see them again. Czaben might role down his window and say how the dumb the guy looks and drive away.

But in the streets if someone slapped him across the face he would pee in his pants and say you want my wallet? Please i am just here to play golf!

He is all talk. He is the first sports host every to threaten to call the authoties over regular emails based on sports .

I don't email him anymore. Last thing i need is a court case involving emails LOL.

Posted by: Martin | May 27, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't like him. I often disagree with him. I hate it when he or others in sports media talk politics. He is a bit old-school in his appreciation of sports. Those are all signs that I should not approve, but I hesitated before clicking disapprove. No matter how much I can't stand him and how arrogant he can sound, he's still one of the best we have and he reaches a national audience. It's hard for me to listen to sports media in this area without wanting to hurt somebody. Sadly, I listen to more national media than local media - for local news and discussion. The problem with Czaban is he can sometimes be a reasonable and calm voice. For every reasonable comment he makes regarding something mainstream, he sounds like a complete jackass when his tires near the rumble strips. Having a somewhat calm voice that isn't just talking about the Redskins makes him better than most. Although he is limited in the scope of his sports knowledge, he still covers more than most in this area. Listening to radio, reading papers, and watching television in this area for years, I forget that local sports exist at times and am surprised when every other market in the country has people knowledgeable of everything from high school sports to NHL hosting their radio shows.

This is going to be a long and depressing feature, Dan.
On second thought, a similar feature comparing Redskin coverage may be even more unbearable and depressing.

Posted by: sitruc | May 27, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

i think martin might actually be insane. no wonder czabe told him to stop emailing. sheesh.

Posted by: kyle | May 27, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

final point from me: +1,000,000 points for his work in defense of art monk's HOF campaign. thank you, czabe, the good guys finally won.

Posted by: kyle | May 27, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Czabens problem is he knows little about sports. And he is on a sports radio drivetime show.

If Czaben was on the junkies he would be funny and could make fun of Gibbs all day.

But being a sports radio host means you should know a little about spots other than golf.

He does not. Thats why people hate his opinions.

He needs to change formats.

Posted by: Jessica | May 27, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Kyle = Czabens family memeber.

Posted by: James | May 27, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The only bigger idiot than Czaban is the wimp Steinberg who throws the red meat out there so that Czaban gets abused but himself hides behind his keyboard. What a fairy Steinberg is. It must be a bald and ugly thing.

Posted by: Madden | May 27, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

obviously this guy Madden is a man who understands the internet..

Posted by: littles | May 27, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

all i know is, his nationally syndicated morning show is 900 times better than the faux-banter between mike and mike on espn. mike and mike have no sense of humor and all conversations are so staged. at least czaban is honest and the conversations among he and his co-hosts seems genuine. approve.

Posted by: buckdeac | May 28, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

I suppose this is a a fairly good idea to pass the time during the summer. However, you do realize that most people don't post on the Internet about how much they love someone (or something).

You're setting up almost all of you media-types for a lot of negativity and a lot of bashing. Czarniak will get a free pass because she's hot, and everyone else will feel the wrath.

Posted by: Martian | May 28, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Czaben thinks he is the Kobe of sports radio. Love or hated LMAO.

He is the the Ron Artest. A idiot who no one likes.

He has talent. But very mean spirted. If you are nice to the average jo people will be nice to you. He is not.

Posted by: James | May 28, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Approve 100 percent.

Czabe -- as one of your former Charlotte fans (sports radio in the Queen City went WAY downhill after you left) -- I've followed your career through your Web site and on the national show. Keep up the good work.

I hope you have Martin ID'ed. Just the little bit of insanity he's shown here proves that you were right in threatening to get law enforcement involved.

Martin -- slowly back away from your keyboard and take your medication.

Posted by: Martin is probably insane | May 28, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Czarniak is a reporter/personality. I have some criticisms for her, but I can't compare or hold her to the same level as columnists, talk radio personalities, or even bloggers since she doesn't have to offer opinions. I've said it in several insignificant comment sections, but I wish sports talk radio and other coverage for the DC area would drastically change. I have no problems praising sports media people. I do have a problem with DC area sports media people.

Posted by: sitruc | May 28, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

i can't speak for Czabe's local gig, but i've been a fan of his national format since his days at 1-on-1 Sports (Sporting News)...he was good then, but when you add to the mix the chemistry he has with Lo-Def, Albert I. Galdi and the BEST wing-man in the business, MR. Scott Linn, it is pure greatness...i have absolutely NO USE for anyone that would choose Mickey & Mickey in the Morning over on the Disney Channel over the First Team on FOX...you can have your Dukie V and the "Dream Job" promos every 5 minutes...his show all by itself pays my monthly XM Radio bill...he talks about all kinds of stuff that i either can't stand (NBA, neck-car) or have no interest in (American Idol, Office, Sopranos, Simpsons) but it doesn't bother me one bit because the show is just that damn entertaining

Posted by: johnny jihadist in michigan | May 28, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Czabe at his worst can be a poor man's Woody Paige.

But when he is at his best he is like a well-spoken barkeep, eloquently ending sports debates.

Approve.

Posted by: Jeff V | May 28, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Example of how bad Czaben is.

He said he read the police report of KobeBryant and " it did not look good"

The idiot does not understand in the sealed court documents its only the prosecutions case. And the police side.Not the defendant.

Any potential court case the evidence president by the state would never look good for the defendant without rebuttal or explanations.

If they had a strong case they would of forced the plantiff to testify or she would of got into trouble.

Any person who had understanding of the law would understand that.

But the man has repeated that the sealed documents did not make it look good for Kobe.

HOW DUMB ARE YOU. The evidence was sealed because IT WAS THE STATES evidence. Not what truly happend.

That is how dumb the man is.

Posted by: Lewis | May 28, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Example of how bad this man is.

He said he read the " kobe bryant states evidence" DID NOT LOOK GOOD FOR KOBE"

The man does not understand what states evidence means.

Its the states and police view on what happend. Obviously they did not have enough evidence of forced the girl to testify.

Any man with logic would understand reading information onlineis not grounds for forming an opinion of a case. AFTER ALL. ITS THE STATES EVIDENCE.

The man has repeated the same thing mutiple times.

It shows that he is not intellegent.

Posted by: Czaben please go | May 28, 2008 3:26 AM | Report abuse

Example of how bad this man is.

He said he read the " kobe bryant states evidence" DID NOT LOOK GOOD FOR KOBE"

The man does not understand what states evidence means.

The man has repeated the same thing mutiple times.

It shows that he is not intellegent.

Posted by: Czaben please go | May 28, 2008 3:26 AM | Report abuse

Overwhelmingly APPROVE! He is not a shill for the local teams, insightful, funny, snarky and quite intelligent. Without Czaban, this town would be lost! Go Czabe!

Posted by: BethesdaMike | May 28, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Czabe is what more people should strive to be....just an "Everyman" that doesn't look up stats and figures to try to impress somebody. If I want to know if Chris Paul was the 4th or 18th pick, I'd look it up. I don't look to some guy on radio to find it out for me. Czabe is the only thing worth listening to on the morning drive. Can't stand guys like James Washington, or even Mike & Mike at this point. Too overblown. Czabe is just a guy.

Posted by: Mike | May 28, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike | May 28, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Approve. I've been listening to him and Scott on First Team on FOX for the past three years. Best morning show out there IMO and very entertaining.

Not much of a fan of Andy Pollin, dude just sounds bitter all the time. But props to him for since he's been at WTEM since day one. He's DC radio's Chris Berman, someone you listen to and love to hate.

Posted by: Bill, Sterling VA | May 28, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Approve. Since when do you have to agree with EVERYTHING the guy says to approve of him? Personally, I find some of the most enjoyable moments of the shows are when I completely disagree with him.

Posted by: Tony | May 28, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Approve.

I moved to DC area and drove home to The Sports Reporters, and enjoyed it much. I was so disappointed when it was moved, because that was the only time I could listen to it. I then started to catch his national show and then on to the blog, etc. etc. etc.

Look, I don't agree with everything he says. I acknowledge that he doesn't get everything right (who does? You're saying he's ill-prepared because he said CP3 was the 7th pick instead of the 4th??! Big deal.) I think sometimes he criticizes the Redskins because he tries so hard to step out of his "fandom" because he's a fan that sometimes it's off-base.

I think he is an "everyman." I mean, hell, he's on this blog. If this was something written about me, I'd be stalking it this site and telling 50 people to vote for me. (I'm not saying he's doing that -- I'm saying I'd do that.) Some people in the media would try to insulate themselves from this world, and he's here in it, for better or worse.

Ultimately, if his opinions rile you up and irritate the hell out of you, isn't that kind of the fun?

Posted by: az | May 28, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

we love him in milwaukee.

Posted by: mar-ree | May 28, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Czabe is the best thing going in sports radio.

Posted by: J-Bonius | May 28, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I love Czabe. I have a half hour commute every morning. I look forward to hearing his insightful analysis and his outstanding sarcasm.

Love his rants, love the "special features" (Remember when...Man Crush...what you haulin...)

Czabe - I approve of you 100%

Posted by: DaveGBWI | May 28, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Up here in the "Froozen Tundra" of Wisconsin the highlight of the morning is catching Czabe on B&B. Lucky for me the show is web streamed because we are in the sticks of the great "Frozen State" of Wis. Keep up the great work.

Obviously my carbon footprint is not large enough. Czabe, still some snud in the Wausau area for you. Should be around for awhile yet.

Posted by: Dan-O | May 28, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Czabes is the only sportstalk guy I look forward listening to. His sidekick, humor, sarcasm, and political rants are right on! Definite 100% approval!

Posted by: Cal-Dustin | May 28, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Czabe-when you're on the air with Andy P, he's holding you back. Yesterday when you were on your own it was a real pleasure...

Posted by: dave | May 28, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Sad thing is i dislike Czaben and would listen to him 10000 times more than Riggins.

Riggins is the most incoherent peice of crap. I am glad i was not old enough in the 80s to see him or it would my opinion of.

He is a dumb tool.

Posted by: Martin | May 28, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry czabe - Larry Michaels is the worest guy on the radio and i do not know anyone that thinks otherwise. I bet unless Larry has his family vote 100's of times he will have a 90% disapproval rate.

Larry is the worst sportcaster in DC

Posted by: DC Sports Fan | May 28, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

As an avid AM sports talk listener (i.e. in the proverbial P-1 category), as well as covering a geography that extends from Philly down to Miami, I tend to listen to a lot of AM/XM/Sirius sports radio programs (sometimes 4-8 hours a day in 3 or 4 different radio markets). In all my travels, the Czabe is by the far and away the BEST in the business. His ability to mix sports with pop culture is unmatched, his humor hits home with his target audience (25-45 year old males with disposable income), and he does not get bogged down in the minutia that plaques a lot of local hosts. In my never to be humbled opinion, the Czabe and XM's First Team sits atop of the radio sports talk world, surpassing other quality programs such as the nationally syndicated Rome, Prime Time with the Packman (Charlotte WFNZ), nationally syndicated Dan Patrick, Atlanta's 790 the Zone (morning and drive time shows, BUT not the 2 Live Stews....don't "ax" me about them), and Sporting News' Timmy "B" Brando while more than crushes the likes of poor or horrible radio sports programs that I've had to suffer at times such as Mike & Mike (those ESPN Mickey Mouse yuk-yuks), 610 WIP-Philadelphia (Eskin or Cataldi or any of the other bitter Philly hosts), Mr. Tony (whose ESPN radio show was once decent but his now-XM show is filler at best), ESPN's the Herd (who is most guilty of "playing radio" in order to get people's attention); and Miami's Dan Lebatard (who is still parlaying his Ricky Williams interviews into success despite having no on-air talent what so ever). As a non-resident of DC, I suggest to those bound by the beltway to leave The District at some point and listen to what other radio markets have to offer. Only then will you truly appreciate the entertaining talent you have locally in the Czabe.

Posted by: KB-Atlanta, GA | May 28, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I have been listening to Czabe for a decade and I find that he is spot-on with his analysis and criticism of sports, sports personalities, and politics. He doesn't shill for anyone or anything which many seem to find disconcerting.

Posted by: Dustin_Madison, WI | May 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. Lewis and Czaban please go must drink the same Kool-Aid. That or Lewis didn't realize he alreday posted the same message twice before he stopped on the third one.

Czaban is the best thing going on DC radio, sports or otherwise. First Team and TSR are both great. Should he stop treating Joe Gibbs with the same level of contempt he heaped on the ol' Ball Coach? Sure, but it doesn't mean he isn't entertaining.

Posted by: JPS-DC | May 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

He is by far the most knowledgable sports personality in the area. Do I agree with him 100%? Of course not, but he sure makes you think when you don't. We're lucky to have him back here.

Posted by: JD | May 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I think Czabe is the best in the business. We are not supposed to agree with everything he says, he is supposed to inspire conversation. As for Caps talk, he regularly says he is a fan (pay attention people), but not enough people are interested to justify the air time. I guess you all are reading bogs instead of listening to the radio. I like hockey but prefer his entertaining spin on sports, politics, and life in general, rather than x's and o's about icing calls.

Czaban is honest, knows more about sports than anyone else writing on this bog, and his relationship with Andy and his AM crew is genuine. He puts down the Redskins becuase he cares so much and becuase no one in this town has the guts to do it.

There are millions of listeners out there, in spite of what the rest of the media want you to think, who aren't afraid to hear an honest man's opinion about the events of the day. In fact, the best radio moments are his "debates" with Andy becuase they are so genuine it's like listening to your two best friends. Like I said, you don't have to agree on everything, I certainly don't, just sit back and enjoy the Czabe!

Posted by: Czabe is #1 | May 28, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I love how people say they don't like his opinions and he should be fired. How about changing the station if you don't like him? You can be outraged over content or his opinion, just don't Martha Burke him over your opinion. I'm sure if we listened to your inane drivel six hours a day it would drive most insane.

He is a professional. Talented, humorous, and knows how to elicit a response from his audience. Not every response will be positive toward his opinion. As long as he doesn't take an opinion he doesn't believe (ESPN) just to get callers it makes for real and honest radio.

Posted by: Jack | May 28, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Hell, Doc Walker says some of the most inane things and borders Emmitt Smith-isms (i.e. "debacled") but doesn't have the national platform for it, yet no one complains about him locally.

Posted by: Buffet Cap Space Clearer | May 28, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Buffet Cap Space Clearer | May 28, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Glad he's steered his fans to this site.

He's an elitist douche. Who wants to hear about his golf game or the TV set up he has in his basement at his new house out in the lilywhite Virginia hills? He says the same thing on both his shows. Someone he's close to evidently did some damage related to pot smoking, as he's more conservative on such a stupid issue than Nancy Reagan. This from a guy who acts like he's a big gambler and dedicates huge chunks of his show to gambling, but, in all likelihood, has probably never placed a bet in his life.

His call-in segments suck, they're generally of the "what's your favorite snack food" variety.

The segment that he has on the morning where he zooms through the list of MLB players that have hit home runs the previous night is pretty indicative of the lack of any kind of imagination that he has. It may be the lamest segment in sports radio.

The Junkies are much more entertaining, as is the baseball show in the morning on XM 175.

Posted by: mike8 | May 28, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Living in Milwaukee, I've been a Steve Czaban fan for over three years. I discovered him on the radio one morning after turning off yet another inane interview with a Green Bay Packer on the local classic rock station. I switched the channel to 102.9, where Steve does his half hour of sports every morning, and he was funny, refreshing and as a woman, dare I say, rather sexy? I've been a fan ever since.

I've never heard his morning national show, but I do catch his afternoon Sports Reporters show occasionally on the internet, and he never fails to entertain. That's the operative word here, people. Entertain. If you don't like the guy, then turn your dial. No need to be vituperative or spiteful.

Czaban's a honest, hardworking guy who is just trying to make a living like the rest of us. I had the pleasure of meeting him once a few years ago at a local golf outing, and he was nothing but a nice guy and true gentleman.

Approve 100%

Posted by: Susy | May 28, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

First of all, I think that if he and I were working in the same office, we would hate one another, just because we are both opinionated jerks who never forgive those who violate our personal "sacred trusts"

In the years that I have been listening to him in Milwaukee, he has never failed to amuse me, challange my views, and call the people in power into question when the need arose, period.

So many of the comments on this subject sound so personal, too personal, comments on the personal have no place in this area, do they? Is he a warm fuzzy? No and if he were you would be calling him gay or some other term, not manly enough for sports, that he is opinionated and stays with it is a sign of his love for the work, and if you all want to whine and say it points to a personal flaw, go ahead.

His take on the Cub's crash and burn immortalized on a Bob and Brian morning show charity compact disc a few years ago is classic Czabe, it is his reason for getting up every day,and what is posted here is a lot of WHINING from people who hate their jobs and cannot stand that someone actually enjoys going to work everyday. He continues to define the medium, showing the way that things like politics and society impact sports, comments on athletes behaving badly, coaches phoning in seasons or cheating, all of this and more show a willingness to discuss the undiscussable, down in the trenches with us unwashed huddled masses of sports fans, no apologies no bs and, well, this Sociology instructor from Wisconsin approves of his work. . .

Posted by: Michele | May 28, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The only "REAL" person on the radio. Love listening every morning. Thank you Czabe. 100% approval.

Posted by: Rob Wenzel | May 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Czabe is great!

His sense of humor is great. I laugh at him even when he isnt trying to be funny.

It's sports (e.g. entertainment) not our lifeblood so his casual, fun approach is fine by me.

Everybody around here loved Glen Brenner and he was far more funny/entertaining than he was a sports geek.

The politics can get a little right of center for me but hey, Czabe is a straight shooter not a waffler so I respect that.

Andy Pollin is lame. I could do better work.

Cut the commercials and provide podcasts so i can listen to the shows later and you have the perfect sports show.

When Czabe is out of town, I don't even bother listening to his substitutes in the morning or in the evening.

Posted by: Two Bird | May 28, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Approve.He's smarter than the liberals that don't like him.

Posted by: Bill | May 28, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Czaban is no dummy. He steered his listeners, i.e., those more likely to like him, to this poll to increase his numbers. He manipulated the poll in other words.

Posted by: Joe | May 28, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Big Time Approve, makes an otherwise brutal commute bearable. Yes, Czaben, like most of us, has made mistakes "at his job". The novice points listed above are hardly a valid reason to crucify the guy.

My reasons for listening:
1. He isn't afraid to buck the system.
2. Not a vanilla espn chuckle head.
3. Knows enough to be interesting and ask the tough question.
4. Appreciate the smack talk and guy-punch in the arm every now and then.

I have to laugh at some of the comments above. Maybe we should incorporate My Little Pony and Mr. Rogers bits so that the show appears "Nicer".

Best in DC and Baltimore, hands down.

Posted by: Matt, Towson to Bethesda & back | May 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Approve! I can only hear him twice in the morning during the Bob and Brian show in Milwaukee. Diffinately the highlight of the commute. Covers a couple topics, not afraid to go against the grain, introduce Jimmy "Masterlock" Dugen and Southwest Tech Donkeys. Hope to play in his foursome somtime.

Posted by: Cubicle_Monkey | May 28, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Love your politics and your show! Laura and I should have you over for lunch sometime soon.

Posted by: George W, DC | May 28, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

czaban is the best sports radio host in this town along with John Thompson and Al Koken, even when I disagree with his sports opinions. Of course, this town has terrible sports radio host, especially compared to New York. However, czaban is one of the few who actually knows what he is doing.

Politics? I love his politics even more. He is 100% right in calling out liberals and it is about time that we had a sports personality who was actually informed on the issues, as opposed to idiots who take the non confrontational, I am a liberal and I aim to please everyone even though I know nothing about what I am talking about, approach.

Plus, he is 100% better than Andy Pollin. Then again, that's not saying much;)

Posted by: Nikhil Verma | May 28, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Tell me again why we should care what people in Milwaukee think about him?

And I think that a lot of people that don't like him (me, for example) probably DO turn the dial -- but the whole point of this blog thing is to talk about why you like or dislike him. Just because someone says they don't like him doesn't mean they'd prefer a shill. I'd prefer someone that cared about baseball, for example, or someone who was not a complete hypocrite. I don't care if he's "nice" or "mean," but I don't listen to him because I think he's a "tool."

Posted by: fresh fish | May 28, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

That donkey Czabe, is frickin' hilarious!

Posted by: Tstran | May 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is by far the best sports radio personality out there. Is he always knowledgeable about a particular topic? No. Is he always in a good mood? No. Remember people (as someone previously stated) this is entertainment. He is an entertainer - no more no less. He does that very well. There are times where you may not agree with him or his perspective but all in all, I always find myself entertained by his antics including his occasional rant or his irrational love/hate relationship with the Redskins.

If you want stats, facts, figures, etc. go to Yahoo Sports, NFL.com or Stats Inc. online. If you want entertaining sports TALK, listen to Czabe.

Posted by: TMD | May 28, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Entertainment to some, is blowhardiness to others.

How strange is it that DC has two sports media figures -- Czabe and Czarniak -- whose names begin with Cz. Herein, Dan, lies the true story...

Posted by: natty bo | May 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is the best in the area. Let's face it, radio personalities will never say anything that we can all agree on, but what Czaban does is to present topics, provides commentary and allows the listeners to give their two cents. What more do you want from radio entertainment? And while he is doing that he is funny, provocative, and occasionally enlightening. That combo works for me and I will keep listening. What makes me laugh is that some of you are stirred to comment on his politics rather than the pure entertainment value of the programs he hosts. Political rants may comprise 10% of his shows. Is that enough for anyone to go nuts over? By the way Czabe read a letter over the air a couple of years ago that I wrote with several other military friends of mine. He thanked all of us on active duty who listen to him and the service we provide this country. I don't know too many broadcasters that would take time to read something like that over the air after receiving countless emails and texts daily. That certainly shows me something, like he actually takes time out to read comments and responds to listeners. That meant a lot to me and is quite a telling fact about the man.

Posted by: mrmajestic4 | May 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Czaban's mastered the art of talking out of his butt. I'm surprised there are still morons out there that listen to this blowhard. He should be bussing tables at Fuddruckers...

Posted by: RowdyRoddyPiper | May 28, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I really enjoy Czabe's point of view. It's refreshing when compared to the rest of the stuff I hear on the radio.

I think most people tend to overlook the fact that a lot of the stuff he says is a mixture of fact with opinion. If you'd just take it with a grain of salt and understand that it IS entertainment mixed with an informed opinion the less of an issue his format becomes.

Can't please everyone all of the time. Keep up the good work Czabe. I also read your blog daily. One thing though, I know you do the blog totally on the side. Which is very cool of you, but the only thing I wish you did was on days you know you can't do an update or on vacation, toss in a "I'm out! Will post an update next week, blah blah blah" Such a bummer when the page sits there in stasis for days.

On a side note.. Martin comes across as obsessive. Almost in a stalker kinda way.
Creepy.

And completely unrelated, Larry Michael.. god, he's such a Danny's B*. The guy can't talk, can't offer any special Redskin related insight even when working at the team's central HQ. He couldn't report his way out of a wet paper bag!

Just my two cents.

Posted by: PT, FairfaxVA | May 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

RowdyRoddyPiper,

Well, as someone who has listened to czabe for 6 years, I am offended that you call me and other fans of his a moron. So much for respecting other people's views? There are times when I disagree with czaban and he does get on my nerves periodically. That being said, he does take the time to talk with the callers and engage. This is in sharp contrast to Andy Pollin, who appears to be an elitist whom is only interested in the views of his media colleagues.
The best thing about czaban is that like Al Koken, he will challenge the establishment. Anyone can sit around and kiss butt (like Andy Pollin does with Maryland basketball......actually, Andy is a paid PR agent for Maryland bball). It takes real courage to stand up for what you believe in. Say what you want about czabe. But at least he takes a stance, defends it, and engages callers in a discussion.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is a bore, Pollie is an idiot. If Tim Redding, Shaun Hill, John Lannen, Odaliz Perez and Jason Bergmann all fired 90MPH fastballs at their heads those two would still think that it was a football that hit them. Both are horrid, but Czaban by far is the most obnoxious of all. Hey Czaban been to a Nats game yet? Its year 4 ya know!

Posted by: tippy canoe | May 28, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for the geniuses who've chimed in to say that sports radio is (or IS) entertainment. That's completely obvious, although what's entertaining to some isn't to others, which is why many don't listen to Czabe and His Forehead.

Mike Wise should have a show. (No, I'm not just sucking up to Dan, knowing that they're friends.) I used to not even like the guy, but he's smart, has interesting insights, is independent, and, unlike Czabe, is not a complete egomaniac.

Posted by: mike8 | May 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

According to dcrtv.com, Sports Talk 980's on the verge of being sold to Dan Snyder - so Czaban may soon be forced to drink the Redskin Kool-Aid.

Either that or quit the station.

Posted by: Mike, Fairfax | May 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It was easy to dislike Czaban when I first heard him. Then I grew to like him for a number of reasons.

One, he does have a pretty good sense of humor. There a number of clever, occasionally snarky, remarks that truly reach the essence of the topic and present it in a humorous light.

Two, he is able to recall a number of sports situtations and create appropriate analogies to describe the situation at hand. Many people think they're clever and can do it too, but they often fall flat on their face. Czaban doesbn't. He is precisely on point a great deal of the time.

Three, he's professional. He keeps the show flowing and interest high. Try listening to other sports radio shows - which is easy to do thanks to the internet - and you'll appreciate how well he executes compared to his peers. There's little dead air, there's something to laugh at, he keeps topics fresh, and he asks tough questions - even when they might get him, um, removed from Comcast.

Four, he knows more about Washington sports than some would like to admit. I know that he has a strong opinion, but it's not ginned up in a vaccuum with little to substantiate it. He's not some McNeil/Lehrer report on sports that is strictly facts and little emotion; if he thinks it's garbage, you'll hear it. Try listening to Andy Gresh and Mike the Maddog if you want to hear opinions on what's garbage and horrendous reasoning. Czaban actually backs up what he says without sounding overbearing.

Finally, I appreciate his tenacity on some topics that show the dark underbelly of the sports beast. He's addresses the shadier side of the NBA, why the Patriots scandal should be taken seriously, and how the Snyder Family is running the Redskins like a fantast football team.

Czaban may rub some the wrong way, but he's so much better than you might normally think.

Posted by: DT in DC | May 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

APPROVE: Best sports personality on the radio. I normally can't stand a Redskin fan's opinion on anything but Czabe's opinion has merit on all issues sports. I don't listen to him for stats, thats what the internet is for. If you love BORING, listen to the other guys or that MTV of Sports network called ESPN.

Cocky, arrogant, opinionated and humorous - Czabe pulls it off.

Posted by: AZ Cowboy | May 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Zabe is the man. He has an amazing grip on the obvious. Most of you don't, and therefore don't like him.

Do you want him to magically wisk you away into a fairy sports land of knowledge and stats?? If that's what you're looking for, call up the "Schwab" and go spoon with him before you go to work.

IDIOTS.

Posted by: SupaFly | May 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is the best thing on DC radio. Is some geeky, know-it-all, quote statistics sports nerd? NO. And thank god. He's a guy, who loves golf, electronics, and sports. But not all sports. He has a take, he works his tail off, and he loves the Simpsons. That's enough for me.

Posted by: Tony D | May 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Thiscould be Czabens last week at 980 along with the rest of the crew.

Dan Snyder is on the verge of buying 980.

I am sure they will keep Doc Walker because Vinny and him have a good relationship.

So we may get are wish very soon. Czabe will soon beout of job in this local market. I dont know if a FM station will hire him. But at least he wont be on sports radio.

Posted by: Josh | May 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Thiscould be Czabens last week at 980 along with the rest of the crew.

Dan Snyder is on the verge of buying 980.

Posted by: Josh | May 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I was initially shocked at the disapproval tone of those replying to this blog. I quickly reminded myself that only 2% of the listenership ever calls in to sports radio (I'm a 12 year listener); I think it safe to assume only a marginal increase in the readership of this fine blog review.

I think Czabe has one of the best shows to ever come across the sports radio dial. He and the first-team on Fox are intelligent, witty, fresh, and typically upbeat about all things sports and pop-culture based.

The use of ideas/show segments such as the "Homer Roll", "I'm so done with, Remember When", "This may be a dumb question" take this show to the next level each day it comes on. If a show's were just about spewing stats then Stump the Shwaub would be the number one rated show on the four-letter. Rather, we get solid opinions and sarcasticly intelligent banter between all members of the first team.

Czabe's daily blog is something I look forward to each and everyday, as well. The fact that he pulls for the side of Team Elephant is only a bonus. The only other offering at these early hours are either local shows or two guys who attempt schtick (jock/nerd) off of each other's dialogue and never take calls.

Rock on Czabe!

Posted by: Christopher Jimenez | May 28, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I think SupaFly should get his own show. Then we could all not listen to it.

Posted by: something strange | May 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

something strange....did I say something to offend you?? Is the Schwab your dad?? Am I a little too clever for you?? Like I said before...IDIOT. Thanks for playing.

Posted by: SupaFly | May 28, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is smart and witty, has a fresh take on stale sports topics, and calls it like he sees it -- no athlete brown-nosing going on here. In the long, dark, thick morASS (yep, emphasis on ASS) that is sports talk radio, he is the only one I've found not only worth listening to, but enjoyable and entertaining....having said that, he needs to stick to sports. His tendency to stray into politics and social statements can be way too over-the-top and Peter King-ish. Czabe, if I wanted Peter King, I'd seek out Peter King.

Overall, big thumbs up!

Posted by: Carrie Calgaro | May 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Czaben after Snyder buys 980.

Do you need to refinance your house? Click

Posted by: Martin | May 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is a fan, and he is not a sycophant like many reporters in this town. He asks the hard questions. Just ask the recently departed Joe Gibbs. It's one thing to look good on TV for a few minutes "reading" news, or packaging a sports report. It's quite another to actually entertain while providing sports and commentary. He beats his afternoon work partner in terms of approval by 1 percent. This listener gives a thumbs up to the Czabe.

Posted by: Bobcat66 | May 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is an idiot a great deal of the time and his rants against the Redskins as a result of his losing the Joe Gibbs show are proof to that. However, Czabe does do a good job of having a strong opinion and supporting it with facts, he reports on humorous stories as well as pointing out the ridiculous. He's sports reporting for the everyman and I guess you could call him a DC fixture.

Posted by: Scott | May 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

From an earlier post by Czaban - "1. Andy doesn't know if pucks are frozen or stuffed. Sorta makes it hard on me, ya think?".

That's no excuse for not talking about the Capitals when they were the biggest sports story in town for a month or so. Pollin doesn't know jack about golf either, yet he and Czaban pay far more attention to that sport than hockey.

Posted by: Mike, Fairfax | May 28, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Czaben is the typical idiot.

If someone insults him they are " stalkers"

If some girl ignores him" they are "ugly anyways"

If 80 pecent of people hate him" they hate all big stars" when did he become a star?

This is what happens when you are not a good looking person. You find reasons why something is happning to you.

Almost like a fan who team loses in the playoffs. Well i hate the NBA anyways.
Czaben will be forever in denail.

Instead of changing and becoming a better man while entertaining. He just states AN EXCUSE.

Posted by: Jeff | May 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny how Czaben voted for himself 10,000 times.

This is the example of someone so sick and depressed that he would vote for himself to raise his self esteem.

The man played inthe marching band. He probaly though the pretty girls in flower dresses came to see him play. Not the event.

Posted by: Debra | May 28, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If I want 100% sport fact, and nothing else, I will get an encyclopedia, or pull up Internet Browser. If I want to be "entertained" - key word here people - I will listen to someone who can offer witty and humorous reflections on the very sports that I love. Whether I agree or not, its entertainment. Let's be realistic here, no single host can possibly appease every listener, so why beat the guy up for having the balls to express an opinion and provid great entertainment in the process. If you can't handle someone unlike yourself, then you shouldn't listen. Who are people with bloated ego's in THIS conversation. Geesh. Keep up the good work Czabe and thanks for the laughs.

Posted by: Steve | May 28, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

100 approve. We miss Czaben in Charlotte. Our drivetime sportstalks sucks. Maybe he could switch with Gary "no pulse" Williams and head back? DC you'd miss him if he left...

Posted by: Not Gary Williams | May 28, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny how Debra believes that Czaban voted for himself 10,000 times.

Anyone who would seriously believe that probably isn't cut out for Steve's humor.

Posted by: DT in DC | May 28, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

He is a pleasure to read, a pleasure to listen to, always has an interesting opinion that is properly backed up with stats, figures, facts, etc.

Posted by: Buck Buchanan | May 28, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike WISE , CZABEN AND STEINBERG could be in the 3 stooges.

Posted by: Tyrone in Southeast | May 28, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Approve of everything but the politics (most of the time) and his stance on Josh Howard-esque foibles. Wish I would've been able to listen in Milwaukee before I moved here.

Also, a +1,000,000 for hyping and basically introducing the DC area to Leinenkugel's (even if he is getting paid). Going to college in Eau Claire made for multiple trips to Chip Falls to golf and hit the brewery tour for free 10 oz. samples. Good to get a taste of home out here besides Miller.

Posted by: JD | May 28, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Approve - I listen from 5:00 am to 5:45 am while jogging in LA... this may be his "worst" hour (the homer roll and '80's rewind are useless), but the show is a good mix of sports/other talk. He keeps the right-wing wacko crap off the air... His Tiger Woods interview was excellent... He keeps his family crap off the air (nobody cares about radio hosts' families and cute kids).. He seems like a pretty witty, intelligent guy.

I approve. And compared to the crapfest that is Mike and Mike, I strongly, wildly approve.

Posted by: Paul O | May 28, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Approve 100%.

That doesn't mean I agree totally with everything he says but he is Entertaining. There are hundreds of x and 0's radio guys and hundreds of loud mouth morans who are just working to fill their air time.

Czaban is energetic, insightful and intelligent. He tells it like it is and is not in the tank for Fox Espn or whomever else he is interacting with. I like the fact that he shares HIS opinions and listens to others as well.

It sounds like so many of these comments come from listeners who just want the typical sports surface info.

Czaban reminds us there is more to a sports radio talk show than just sports.

Posted by: Todd | May 28, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy listening to Czabe every morning on FSR via my XM radio. It's witty, intelligent and biting...and smokes the crap on local radio or ESPN radio. Czabe, keep it up - you have the smartest morning radio show out there.

Posted by: SouthTexGopher | May 28, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

APPROVE! I enjoy Czabe, though I don't agree with his "Team Elephant" ideals. As a sports talk show host, though, I get him. I like his style, sense of humor, and as a father of two and child of the 80's, I can relate to many of his references and experiences. Keep up the good work, Czabe! (See, Democrats and Republicans CAN get along)

Posted by: Ryan | May 28, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

This may be a dumb question, but how did Czabe get his gig? he left the mean streets of McLean for some job in California and reappeared here a few years back....I am so done with the canned routines they do in the morning show.....at least in the sports reporters they more often focus on sports....didnt they get the memo, it is SPORTS radio, not news of the weird radio, not techno gizmo radio.....

yeah, he's okay

Posted by: max | May 28, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Czabe has got my endorsement. I think he adds the right amount of humor to the broadcast. I especially like him on TSR. Even when Czabe takes a position that sounds a little wacked he doesn't come across uniformed like TK. Hell TK revels in the fact he has no idea about what's going on. I also can't stand M&M as I just don't find Greenberg constantly harping on how metrosexual he is as being funny schtick.

For the record, this "Martin" fellow has obsessed about Czabe 7 times already in this comment section over the last 48 hours. That's creepy and stalker-esque.

Posted by: Paul in DC | May 28, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

czabe provides opinions I can relate with. He is open to criticism. He will change his mind when confronted with facts or reason. If you want sports news and scores go online or something. If you want opinions and analysis he's awesome, even if he isn't right all the time. It's all about enjoying someone else's perspective and agreeing or disagreeing and letting him know why.

Posted by: nate | May 29, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Czabe's okay when it comes to talking golf and Redskins

Posted by: iown2microwaves | May 29, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Disapprove: I really think Czaban is one of the most un-professional and miserable people in the sportstalk business...who doesn't respect his co-workers and doesn't deserve to be employed. He doesn't understand how his dis-respect comes over and it's unfortunate Fox Radio and WTEM keeps him employed. I don't question his sports knowledge but rather his overall negative and sometimes distasteful attitude toward others and life in general.

Posted by: Raymond P./Annandale, VA | May 29, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Approve, for many of the reasons listed above. Czabe is one of the few members of the sports media that is ready to admit they are wrong: he'll bow to facts and not loud rhetoric. In addition, Czabe really doesn't give off the airs and graces of many other media members who seem to be desperate not to say anything controversial in case they don't get their shot on ESPN.

I listen to the First Team when I'm driving to work and TSR when I'm driving home and I know I'm going to enjoy the drive more -- Czabe is a vital part of that.

Posted by: Chris C | May 29, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday evening was a great example of his lame call-in segments: "After the break, your favorite tv show jing..." I changed the station before they finished the word "jingles."

Posted by: mike | May 29, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

there is absolutely nothing else worth listening to on 980 until 4pm with Czabe and the guests on TSR. Polley adds no value--knows nothing about sports. How Thompson still has a show is beyond belief. Haven't met one person who hasn't turned that dial a long time ago.

Posted by: CL | May 29, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Approve! - Let's face it, Sports talk radio is the litmus test for major sports markets and Czaban is on air both to AND from work. Our other choices in market are the two clowns on ESPN in the morning, then #44 butchering the language in the afternoon (I'll comment on Tony K's show after I find it).

I'll admit I listen to Philly sports talk whenever I can, but I would put Czaban in there with any of them (frankly, Eskin has become a shill for Eagles lately...we true fans are much more bitter and cynical about the team).

Posted by: Marc | May 29, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The problem with the Washington, DC area is that we do not have more then 2 choices for sports talk radio. There of course is "dumb and dumber" and then the know it all, Czabe.

Czabe is like the guy in your local pub where you go to watch sports. He knows every thing and anything in sports. The sad part is that he consistently shoots from the hip with made up stats or stories. And when you know the true facts and call him out on it, he trys to turn it around with his constant nagging of; "give me a number? How many? or When?", but he too does not have this information because he is to lazy to do the research.

Remember when (to use one of his mundane bits), no one knew of, or cared who Steve Czaben was?

Posted by: David (a.k.a keelsail3) | May 29, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The fact that his approval rating is above 9% is deeply depressing. I may consider leaving the area.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 29, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You won't be missed.

Posted by: Goodbye | May 29, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

For all of you drooling over his emminent "firing" at the hands of Dan. . .are you all ready for TOTAL Sports Domination?

Are you SO Fricking CLUELESS that you cannot see the hegmonic forest for the trees?

If it is so f'ing important to you that all of your sacred cows be kept in pristine condition, then ENJOY your spoon fed sound bite lives as sports fans. .

Cling to the Good old days- Joe done us real good in the past. . .Dan want to buy the market, but would lose against this broad from Maryland in picking players to invest in. . .all HAIL the Sports dictator. . .Dan is our Man, Dan loves us- all who speak ill against Dan will pay. . .

Yeah, good luck with that, if that is what you consider good sports radio, let the experts in the head office do your thning for you.

Steve- come to Wisconsin. Our weather SUCKS, but our fan base, like our football team, has no owners.

Posted by: Michele | May 29, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If she had an editor, I think that would make me hot.

Or HOT! Maybe HOAWT!

Posted by: mike8 | May 29, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is the de facto sports-talk radio demographic 100%. He is the beer & golf buddy you hang out at happy hour with and swap stories of sports, women, politics or whatever...He is exactly what his listeners predominantly are inside, so of course he will garner a significant approval rating.

He has never attempted to big-time anyone or ascend to a walking encyclopedia of exact sports information. He approaches Sports & Life exactly the same way your lifelong buddy would. No one ever confuses factual professional debates with simple fun harmless arguments ad "what-ifs".

Czaban has mastered this light-hearted bar conversation style. Anyone who doesn't "get him" needs to step out of the cubicle or away from the family...call up an old buddy, crack open a cold one and reminisce about sports glories over some nachos...Those can some of the best times of your life. It is harmless fun.

Posted by: Thank You Czabe | May 29, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank all that is good in this world that Czaban is on the radio. Seriously how many times can you listen to an ex-jock talk about eating donuts while his metrosexual side kick talks about his latest trip to the hair salon?

What a breath of fresh air to have a guy speak honestly without defending some position because the producers think he should. Now if he could stop focusing on the Redskins he would be perfect.

Of course no one always agrees with him but at least he is real.

Posted by: Bradly08 | May 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

So- I am a crappy speller. . .you got me.

But seriously, if you want someone to hold your hand, and whine with you, that is your choice. You want someone who will kiss the collective asses of the owners, the yes people, and never have an independent opinion beyond corporation approved speak, for real? or do you want someone asking the people who willingly take your money why they are acting as they do?

The fact that so much time and attention has been devoted to hating this sports guy shows that to have him gone would leave many scary people (Martin) with WAY too much time on their hands, and since many of you here are all still local. . .maybe you can be Martin's new Psychotic Chew Toy. . .and repeat chapter and verse about the bold new/old direction taken by the Caps, the Skins, hell the Nats. . .with the explicit approval of management, of course.

Careful what you wish for, I am guessing it will suck.

Posted by: Michele | May 29, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I feel a certain sense of loyalty to Czaban because of the disturbing number of hours a day I listen to him talking. And I don't mind that fact. When my alarm goes off in the morning, when I drive to work, when I drive home, and when I drive to wherever else I go in the evening I hear Czabe. Year after year. And yet I still look forward to it so he must be pretty good.

I share virtually nothing in common with him when I read or hear his political views. But that is what makes sports special. It binds people in ways that so many other aspects of our lives are divisive. I listen to him because he comes across as engaging, funny, and hard-working. I like the fact that he does not claim to be an insider with any special level of expertise or knowledge. Nothing grates me more about sports broadcasting than reporters, hosts, or pundits that drop names and flaunt their own level of access to impress listeners. When has Czaban ever claimed to know more than the listener? In fact, he comes across at times like he is hearing about and discussing the controversy du jour like I would with friends sitting around my living room (if I had a living room).

It is interesting the heat he is taking on this blog about his coverage of the Capitals. I've been incessantly listening to his show for years and years and I don't perceive it the same way. I think he is fairly critical of the NHL in general because the league deserves it. Or have most Caps fans forgotten how poorly managed the league has been and how it was driven into the ground through fruitless expansion and a pathetic television contract? Guess what Caps fans (of which I am one), it just isn't a sport that sells and most listeners don't care to hear that much about it.

The thing that I find odd is how unprofessional looking Czabe's personal blog is. I wonder why it is not hosted by Fox Sports since he is, I guess, one of their primary voices on the radio. But that is a side issue.

I love the shows. I like Czabe.

Posted by: Andrew | May 29, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Approve- I crave Czabe, it gets me to work with something different, no books on tape or that thing.

Also, many of the women who have commented act like they are SO outraged about his views- you really want him to go easy on us gals in sports, you hypocrites? Equality, BUT don't hold us to standards. . .puleeeezzzze.

Michelle Wie is an exploited girl child that, if she had implants will only stay in the media via some Playboy shoot, Martha Burke took on. . .GOLF. . .with honor killings and massive social inequality all over the place.

And even though I do not agree with him, I get the sense that he would not question my sexuality simply because I love most, not all, sports. . .which is more than I can say for some of my fellow females, here and in my life.

Loud, proud, straight and female. . .sports fan

Posted by: A sports girl | May 29, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it funny how when you talk to an Orioles fan about Jeffrey Meier interferring with the ball in the '96 playoffs vs the Yankees, they forget about the gift call they received in the '70 World Series when Elrod tagged Bernie Carbo with his catchers glove and the ball was in his right hand?

Just thought I'd point this out.

Posted by: Xavier | May 29, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I love Czabe - I approve. He is funny, he calls it like he sees it, and he talks about sports - the good, the bad and the ugly. No sugar-coating. About time.

I found Czabe listening to the Ben and Brian show in Milwaukee. It was the best 20 minutes of sports news and commentary on the radio then and kept me laughing all the way to work. I moved to DC and enjoy listening to even more of him.

When Czabe has an opinion, he throws it out there, but always lets listeners know it is his opinion. You don't have to like or agree with his views or opinion and he respects that.

I find a sports reporter who is not afraid to call it like he sees it refreshing and enjoy listening to him more than the "pretty boys" on ESPN who have become boring and afraid to say anything management won't agree with.

Czabe's stance on women in sports is right on. Michelle Wie can talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Women's basketball is not as exciting as men's basketball. And if you read his blog about Danica Patrick, it is clear he respects any woman who chooses to play sports with the boys and back it up by playing at the same standards and level.

Even when I don't agree with him, I'm a girl who loves sports and listening to Czabe talk about them.

Posted by: Another sports girl | May 29, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Czaben is Kornhsier without the crediblity.

They both mock how much they dislike sports other than the NFL and golf.

They mock how people hate them.

They mock about annoying things people say.

But the difference is Kornhiser earned respect by working his way up covering the redskins in his young days. He was just a beat reporter. He earned his way into respect.

Czaben is nothing but a communications major from some crappy school in caifornia who only clame to having a show here is he grew up in Mclean like the Redskins.

No one respects Czaben other than idiots. People respect Kornhiser or any guy of that ilk becauae they have paid their dues.

As you seeJoe Gibbs probaly did not like Andy Pollen or Czaben. BUT HE RESPECTED ANDY POLLEN. POLLEN is worthy of respect because he knows a lot of things and has been around. That is why you heard Pollen get an interview with Gibbs when he retired. Czaben did not. Same with Snyder. Snyder may not like Pollen. But he respects him.

Czaben is just a idiot. So his jokes dont come off as funny.

Posted by: Josh | May 29, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Guess what Caps fans (of which I am one), it just isn't a sport that sells and most listeners don't care to hear that much about it."

Maybe that was true in the DC area prior to this year, but local hockey interest took a quantum leap forward with the Capitals rising from the ashes to make the playoffs for the first time in five years.

At the national level you could perhaps make a defensible argument for not giving hockey much run, but it was inexcusable for a local program like Sports Reporters to largely ignore the Caps for nearly the entire regular season before grudgingly paying some attention to them during the Flyer series.

Posted by: Mike, Fairfax | May 30, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

The talent across the board on 980 is one of the worst in the country. I totally respect the jobs Andy and The Coach are doing, however, Doc doesn't understand that "not everyone" gets what a 'baller' means and he really thinks he knows what he's talking about...and he doesn't. I really hope Snyder buys all of the stations and starts over. The Washington, DC market can use makeover when it comes to sportstalk radio.

Posted by: roland r. -ashburn, va | May 30, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, please.. I agree that this year the Caps were exceptional. Not amazing, but exceptional. But to draw a comparison, nobody gave a rat's ass about the NFL's Patriots until their run of Superbowls. Now everyone talks about them.

Win the Stanley cup, Caps. Then your woes of lack of coverage will cease. At least for awhile.

Posted by: Phil, FairfaxVA | May 30, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is at the top of my list for sports radio hosts. I've tried listening to ESPN but the lack of a coherent opinion is repulsive (see also Golic, Michael) and many sound like they're towing the company line. I'm also tired of the screamers with nothing to say. Czabe gives his opinion and states his reasoning with humor mixed in as opposed to those with emotional diarrhea-of-the-mouth.

His politics are right on the money too...once again a product of logical thought but Czabe doesn't overwhelm the show with it like when K.O. comes on with Dan P.

I find Czabe very entertaining and give him a BIG two thumbs up!

Posted by: Billy | May 30, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

i can't stand Czaban. He's such a misogynist. This guy claims he has 2 daughters yet all he does is bash women and women's sports. He's a real blowhard who spouts off about topics when he doesn't have the facts. The only think I like about him is that he is hard on Snyder and the 'Skins.

Posted by: mcskin | May 30, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a DC native or a fan of the teams here, but I thoroughly enjoy Czabe and Polley's show, have for years.

They are good even when football is not on. Always entertaining.

I'm not looking to be "educated" on sports either, I'm looking to have fun and forget about going to work and being at work. They have fun and they are best when Thom Loverro is on.

Especially compared to the abysmal Mike and Mike - All Sterids all the time (do they ever talk about anything else) - completely tired over their contrived schtick.

Posted by: Brian | June 2, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I hate him because he's a typical knee-jerk soccer basher. Hey, you may not like the sport but his complete contempt for it seems pretty irresponsible if you are working in, you know, sports.

He along with the Frank Defords and Jim Romes will find themselves on the wrong side of history here. Sports stopped being boxing, baseball and horse racing a long time ago.

Posted by: Publius | June 6, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse