D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: John Riggins

From television back to radio, and this time we're dipping lower on your AM dial to 730, home of Redskins Radio (which soon might eat WTEM), and home also to the John Riggins Show.The times have changed, but the current setup is 4-7 daily, running directly opposite WTEM's The Sports Reporters, with Riggins leading a cast of characters that also includes former Tony Kornheiser/WTEM contributors Kevin Sheehan and Gary Braun.

In his now-lengthy media career, Riggo has done football talk and games for Westwood One Radio and Sirius Radio, has worked as an analyst on WRC's "The Redskins Report" and during some NFL television broadcasts, and has earned various reviews as an off-Broadway actor and soap-opera star. When he signed up with Red Zebra to do his current show, the network promised an "Unfiltered, off-the-cuff, and a little bit off-the-wall" show, further promising that "The John Riggins Show will provide Washington, D.C. sports fans with Riggo's one-of-a-kind insights and opinions."

Riggins also had something of a football career, breaking Gale Sayers's career rushing mark at Kansas, becoming an early-first round draft choice, scoring 116 touchdowns, gaining 13,435 all-purpose net yards, earning Super Bowl XVII MVP honors and being elected to the Hall of Fame. He was born in Seneca, Kansas, and is about a year shy of his 60th birthday.

Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge John Riggins, the media members, not the football player. Choose carefully, and offer explanation below.

Past Results:

Chick Hernandez (82 percent approval)
Steve Czaban (75 percent approval)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 29, 2008; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Video Overload
Next: Kornheiser on Style, The Post, Chad (and Me)

Comments

Riggo? Sure. Never heard his show, but he was great with Mr. Tony. Much more appealling than Czaban. Literate, funny. Would approve even if he weren't the Super Bowl hero of my childhood.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | May 29, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I gave my approval, even though I don't like his current show. He was great on the sports reporters as a weekly guest, when he could play as a foil to Pollin and Czaban, and he's great on Redskins Report. I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a radio show frontman.

Posted by: Mick | May 29, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

As an athlete, great. As a radio personality, pretty awful. Clearly, he needs a BUNCH of folks around him to carry his SEVERE lack of knowledge about almost everything that isn't football.

Posted by: TMU | May 29, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I REALLY look forward to the day that Larry "House Man" Michael is up for evaluation . . . the horror, the horror.

Posted by: TMU | May 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Who doesn't love a drunk live on air?

It certainly works for Charles Barkley.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 29, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge John Riggins, the media member, not the football player."

impossible for me to separate

drunkenly approve

Posted by: qualude conduct | May 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Riggo sometimes likes to play (or used to like to play) the "dumb jock, I'm only here for the beer" role, but he's a pretty articulate, insightful guy on the radio. I'd listen to him over that tool Czaban any day.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | May 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Every time I've tried to tune in his radio show, I can't hear him through the static. But he's funny and insightful on Redskins Report, even with George Michael slowing him down.

Posted by: Fingerman | May 29, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

As far as former athletes-turned-radio-show hosts go, he's pretty good. Particularly compared to his competition in that area locally (I'm looking at you Brian Mitchell and John Thompson). He's smart enough to ask about what he doesn't know (which tends to be a lot), which makes him a nice contrast to Czabe.

He's solid. I approve.

Posted by: pondaz | May 29, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I might add it's unlikely that Riggo will come his show and whimper and whine like a little girl so people will vote FOR him on this site, like some other (Steve) local (Czaban) radio hosts did.

Posted by: TMU | May 29, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Approve. This is based purely based on his old 980 days since I can't get that crappy Danny-station even though I live inside the Beltway. Love ya' Danny....

Posted by: Bam Bam | May 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Approve!

I've oft cracked a beer and tuned into Comcast for the Riggo show. Good Times. I think his co-hosts are nice contrast, but its definitely the diesels deal.

I'm not sure how the content translates on the radio because Red Zebra sucks.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 29, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The thing that I like about his show is that he'll TRY to talk about different sports without viewing them with the contempt that 980 seems to have, even if he doesn't know the first thing about most of 'em. "A" for effort!

Posted by: Chris | May 29, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Unlistenable! Booooooo!

Posted by: Marc | May 29, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is a complete idiot on the air. Never saw the guy play football, but he's a complete tool to listen to, can't make an argument, doesn't have basic common knowledge and is probably not smarter than a 5th grader. Listening to him is like the Monty Python "I'd like to have an argument" sketch.

I heard about this poll yesterday and came to vote against Czaban and I get a two-fer! Thanks Dan!!

I love my sports talk radio and I'll flip between whoever is being less of an @$$ that day. I've reached the point where I'll start with Czaban because it lowers my IQ to listen to Riggins.

I know their main audience is not the 25-45 female bracket, and I'm pretty hard to offend, but really guys. Sometimes you just need to shut up and read the baseball box score.

Posted by: NC2 | May 29, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is awful. I've completely given up listening to the Danny station with its posse of lap dogs.

Posted by: Riggins Awful | May 29, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The famous "bored, broke and back" line when Riggins returned to football with a few minor changes. Now, we are "bored",he is rich, and we wish he would go "back" to whatever rock he climbed from under and take those two lapdogs with him!

Posted by: Bored, Broke and Back | May 29, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is good, but he rambles and does not allow the others to comment.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I've tried to listen to the John Riggins show, but I am just not a fan. Dunno why, I've found Riggo entertaining in most ventures, but as the host of a show, I think he falls short...way short. Because he's a better complimentary player, i disapprove. Go skins!

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | May 29, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dan -
How about a shout out to the good folks at MASN who televise Riggins every afternoon for 2 hours?

(It's the only way to catch the show since the radio signal is so weak...)

Riggo is a born entertainer.

Posted by: Joe Beercan | May 29, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I dont give my approval because beyond football, and especially beyond the Redskins, Riggins really doesnt know or contribute much to the discussion on other sports: baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. pro or college.

Sports Reporters have better guests and talk about more than just football - even sports I dont even like, like golf.

One thing Sports Reporters should do is shut Czabans pie-hole and bring someone in to actually talk about tennis and soccer, two sports he clearly despises. Who knows, maybe they could get a larger audience that way????

Posted by: Vic | May 29, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

My main problem with the John Riggins show is that it sometimes feels like its "the john riggins show starring Kevin and Gary." I loved listening to John when he did his weekly hour-long segment on TEM, and when he did sidelines for Westwood One football, but the 3 hours is just too much. There dont seem to me to be too many sports stars who can handle discussing other sports. The one thing this city needs again is another Sportscall. Not necessarily bringing Ken Beatrice Back, persay, but just a nightly local sports talk show from say 7-10. Sports talk around here is so biased, and cliched. I dont want to listen to you talk about movies, babes, or your dog. I wanna hear about sports and everything! not just the redskins, but other teams too! All the shows here are just irritating.

Posted by: Ken | May 29, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove. Like a previous commenter said, I liked him as a guest with Steve and Andy, but find his current show boring.

Posted by: bowiemd1 | May 29, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I like listening to Riggo, but that signal is so weak it's hard to pick up. I like Andy and Czabe, and I loved when Riggo was on their show every week, especially the "Ask Riggo" segment -- hysterically funny.

Posted by: zelda | May 29, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't listen to his radio show often, but he's fantastic on the Redskins Report. That alone earns my approval.

When I do listen to his radio show, it sounds like he's not all that well versed in the other sports, and I do think that's valid complaint.

Still, he's money on the Redskins, and really comes across as an easy going, likable guy.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm back, you web nerds. Riggo is a fine guest on TV/radio (and was one for us for a long time), but can't carry off a show on his own. Have you heard the guy try to string 2 sentences together? Painful. Not all his fault, I blame Kansas public skoolin'. Plus I heard that his contract stipulates that he dress up in his old uniform and run around Danny's office whenever the mood hits the Boy King. Kinky!

sc

Posted by: Steve Czaban | May 29, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Since I'm not a drunken football fan of drunk en ex-football players...I'll have to say I disapprove...

Posted by: maryb | May 29, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Approve! Because of 4th and 1. Because he ran over Don McNeal. Because he told a Chief Justice to loosen up. Because of "I'm bored, I'm broke and I'm back!"

His show could be him reading a magazine and he'd still get top approval from me because of the above mentioned.

Posted by: Jack | May 29, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Problem with Riggins is his cohost stink. As much as dislike Czaben, Pollen and him came Riggins in line. They did not let him ramble and stutter.

Its almost like Bill Waltons partner. If he has a good one he is funny. If he has one who lets him talk to much you find the idiot comes out.

The more you talk the more idiotic you become.

Posted by: Martin | May 29, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Riggo is pretty good on the air. He isn't slick, but he isn't afraid to give an honest opinion, especially of the Redskins. He's not a pushover like Sonny or that Larry Michael creep.

Posted by: Go Riggo! | May 29, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I love his theme song (Diesel Power - Prodigy). This is embarassing but I've gotten goosebumps when they play his entrance music with announcing spliced in.

Posted by: Jeff V | May 29, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Riggo is better as a guest such as on George Michael's Redskins show. But he's fine on his own show. He gets a plus.

Posted by: Joe | May 29, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

He obviously has no idea what he's talking about an overwhelming majority of the time. And on top of that he obviously hates the Wizards?

Strongly disapprove.

Posted by: Horrible. | May 30, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Approve.

Much better than Steve Cz.

Posted by: Crabhands | May 30, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse