Kornheiser Takes Buyout

Dang. From his radio show a few minutes ago:

"All I ever wanted to be was a newspaper writer," he said, which is likely not something that anyone under the age of 30 will ever say again. "This other stuff is great, but I don't care about it," he continued. "In my mind that's what it says on the headstone, it says 'newspaper guy.' "

But he also said he signed the papers to take the Post's buyout last night, after working here for, I believe, 29 years. He said he still might contract with The Post to do his Talking Points videos and his Page 2 excerpts, and he said some people in the leadership asked him to stay but didn't really insist, and even though he'll keep doing PTI and the radio show and MNF, he said he feared he'd never have the moral high ground again.

He has seven days to reconsider, but he said "I'll have somebody kidnap me and tie me down so I don't change my mind." And, as any longtime listeners would expect, he was plenty wistful when discussing what happened yesterday.

"There was not enough wine in the world, there wasn't, not last night," he said. "I'm watching 'Idol,' and I'm thinking about all these things, and I don't know who I'm supposed to talk to about this....It just feels odd. It feels odd and it feels bad. It doesn't feel sad, there's no sadness to it, it just feels wrong."

He also said "the Web site is sort of the future on some level," which I guess might be accurate, on some level, maybe. Then again, newsprint might make a dramatic comeback.

And no, I'm not happy. I've said this before, in several contexts, but when I moved from Newark, Del. to D.C. in 1998 as a miserable non-profit researcher who had never lived in a major media market, suddenly I was reading Kornheiser, Wilbon, Boswell, Jenkins and all the rest every day, and I was amazed. It was impossible for me to get my non-profit research done, because I spent all morning reading The Post sports section, before the Web was sort of the future. It absolutely made me want to leave non-profit research and become some manner of sportswriter, although first I decided to sell cheese for a while. But this paper's Sports section in the late '90s, and presumably for years and years before that, was something pretty special that actually made you anxious to open that stupid plastic bag in the morning.

Either way, will try to dig up some "Best Of" over the next few days, if the Web site poobahs don't beat me to it, since they're the future and all.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 14, 2008; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Softball Girls Shirts
Next: TK: The Bandwagon and the Blogs

Comments

Farewell, Tony.

Cheeseboy is the new Satchmo.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 14, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

So, I take it you heard...

Posted by: Dan Levy | May 14, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Don't think of it as taking a buyout, think of it as paying Kornholer to not write anymore. Money well spent.

Alas, ESPN will probably take a bit longer to come to their senses.

Posted by: athea | May 14, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

make easy money

Posted by: dc_feels_me | May 14, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Another sad day in the long slow death of the print version of The Washington Post. In all fairness Kornheiser hasn't been writing that much for WaPo the last few years anyway. At least not to the extent he used to write a column in the Sports section. All good things must come to a close. The golden age of Sports writing has come to an end. Which is a travesty in itself.

Posted by: TK Stack Money | May 14, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser still works for the Post? When was his last full-length column? Three years ago?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

such rampant use of the word "he" causes this to read like hemmingway...you can do better, can't you?

Posted by: stevedave | May 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hos long has it been since there has been anything of Kornheiser's in the Post other than snippets of his radio or TV shows? Isn't this just a formality?

Posted by: Tom T. | May 14, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Not really a stunner, but sad news for Post readers older than 24 years old.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 14, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This is kind of a sad day for me. Kornheiser was the writer I idolized while growing up. He's the reason I am a sportswriter.

Posted by: A sportswriter | May 14, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Weird - he goes from being a columnist to a multimedia personality, wins the MNF lottery, and even has Jason Alexander play him in a sitcom - but now is losing his newspaper foundation and at some point could just vanish from the scene...

Did you recommend a cheese to go with his wine?

Posted by: Rob Iola | May 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It's been downhill since the Bandwagon, and that's been a while. It was fun, nevertheless.

Posted by: FC | May 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Steinz, the late 80s and early 90s - when Shirley Povich was still alive and Richard Justice was still in town - really were a golden age for this paper's sports section. While Kornheiser was never as good in print after PTI started up - the column always seemed more dashed off after that - this is truly the moment where we know that that era ain't coming back. As someone who vividly remembers going to see the Bandwagon at Montgomery Mall, it makes me sad.

Posted by: Paul | May 14, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

A polarizing figure - at least due to his PTI and MNF career - to be sure.
But a great radio host and tremendous newspaper man is gone now.
I, for one, will miss his style, wit, charm and intellect. Well, I have missed it for a while now.
Fare thee well, Sportswriter.

Posted by: marksman | May 14, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm 31, loved Tony as a kid -- peaking with the Bandwagon and his style columns. So this is a little sad for me.

But, this is Tony's doing, too. He made the choice to stop following sports closely enough to the point where he didn't have any new insights. His entire frame of reference for the NBA remains the 71-72 Knicks.

I don't blame or begrudge the guy for it; he's had some great opportunities come along. But notice Wilbon isn't being bought out. He still *covers* sports closely enough to be able to offer opinions thereon that I wouldn't find elsewhere. That's what people want from their columnists, and Tony wasn't interested in doing that anymore.

Posted by: Ben | May 14, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This is a great day for Washington sports lovers. Kornheiser has been a waste of time for years. Ever since his massive ego took over. Be nice if he left the radio and MNF too.

What do we have to do to get Wilbon to take a buyout too? Mike Wise, Sally Jenkins and Tom Boswell and all three so far superior to the self-adoring "TK" and "MW" it's not even funny.

Posted by: Bethesdaguy | May 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

about time. his columns will not be missed.

Posted by: stick | May 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

It's time to get happy! Happy trails to Tony Kornheiser, who is leaving the Washington Post after 29 years. Post executives thought it was a gots-ta-go situation!

And the Post just continues to diminish itself. What are we left with now, Mike Wise? Feh.

Posted by: Netsrak | May 14, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The King is dead. Long live the King.

Seriously, though, it's a sad day for this lifelong Post reader.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 14, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

When it was columns and then books, mixed in with the first incarnation of the radio show, TK was still the man ... TK Stack Money!

It doesn't seem to me that the TK of today is the same anyway. I don't know if TV changes you, but it seems everyone who makes the jump to the other side eventually doesn't come back - Wilbon perhaps being the notable exception.

I'd say TK the writer is going to be missed ... but the period for missing the glory days of his writing long since ended. And that's a mean thing to say ... it's just been a while now since TK's been a writer.

And YET!!! He still got the Post to buy him out. Brilliant.

Posted by: Eddie C | May 14, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Screw Kornholio. Who cares!

Posted by: Finn | May 14, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I feel like I just got a boil lanced.

Posted by: Maradona | May 14, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Great picture of TK on OFB.

Posted by: kvetchin | May 14, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck Tony. Sad day for The Post. Thanks for the advice you offered at RFK in 1995. Hard as it was to hear at the time, some of the best advice anyone's ever given me.

Posted by: Mike S | May 14, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If TK stayed another year, he would have gotten a WaPo complimentary bog for his 30th anniversary gift ...

Posted by: greg | May 14, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

From a caps fans point of view...WHO CARES...

Posted by: Ovechkin | May 14, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Have fun covering Idol, it seems to be what you do best now.

and I won't take the moral high ground when I say that your coverage of the Caps was abhorrent. Thanks for nothing, buh bye.

Posted by: good riddance | May 14, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Not only was his coverage of the Caps abhorent, same was his snide ridicule of DC United and other DC teams. If it wasn't the Redskins and maybe the Wizards on a good day he couldn't be bothered with it. It's high time for dinosaurs like him and Deford to be put out to pasture and to nurture new reporters that cover the new sports landscape. Dan Steinberg is a helluva good start.

Posted by: DC Sports Fan | May 14, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Sports Fan | May 14, 2008 12:31 PM

100% Agree. I used to be fan, but his ego, and his arrogance of covering certain sports over others has definitely tarnished his legacy as a sportswriter in my book. TK, you won't be missed.

Posted by: TB | May 14, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I'm sad to see him go. Rather than become educated on sports he didn't understand like Ice hockey and Soccer, Korny chose to belittle those sports, their fan bases and their players to mask his own ignorance. I welcome to open minds of the writers who happily jumped on the Capitals bandwagon this past season and were able to recognize that something special is brewing in DC.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 14, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Now he can concentrate on becoming the worst NFL commentator in the history of the game. He's already well on his way.

Posted by: Wenalway | May 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It's really not a sad day. Tony stopped being an integral part of the Post years ago. I loved him as a sports columnist, but it makes no sense for The Post to spend money on him for such little return in terms of writing. Those blurbs on Page 2 are unreadable. There is nothing to them.
The Post needs to invest in new writers for Post.com and the paper. I wish he would just stay on the radio and drop TV. Radio is what he does best.

Posted by: Ted | May 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Won't miss him. His continual disrespect for United and its fans made me quit reading his columns on any sport. Other than that idiot Fisher, he was the worst writer on the Post staff by my measure.

ps--good to see you the other night Dan at the tailgage.

Posted by: Bigrob | May 14, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

(1) Yeah! Another "celebrity journalist" is gone. Good riddance.
(2)I will add my voice to Ovechkin's: WHO CARES?
(3) I don't care about his radio show; I'm way out of earshot, THANKFULLY.
(4) How do we get him to disappear from MNF, too?

Posted by: rg | May 14, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Umm, ya'll do remember that one of his last big colums, addmitedly from about 2 years ago, was about Ovy when Ovy made that hole-in-one, right?

I hope this doesn't mark a turning point for the Washington Post toward not having the big names in sports reporting and commentary. Tony in no small part helped make the WaPo sports page as godo as it is, and if there's anyone who thinks it isn't good go check out the sports pages in many other papers, even many of the large market ones. We're very lucky here and I think a lot of peopel will realize that only after it's all gone.

Posted by: EricS | May 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Tony's writing career was ruined by ESPN and his new persona ESPN helped foster. He began to view the sports landscape as something that could always be encapsulated in a 90 second ticking clock. Every issue was cut and dry. He lost the big picture view of things. He became WAY too comfortable with the status quo of the sports world as he understood it and had no interest in evolving or asking new questions. He was most comfortable in a Yankees/Red Sox world, where the script never changed. Basically, his career aged as fast as his body did. He never could find a way to stay young in spirit like the great Shirley Povich.

Posted by: James | May 14, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree with poster Paul's comments about the Golden Age of WaPo sports writing preceding Tony. Before Tony became spread too thin, I thought his full columns were insightful and often funny. Hooray for the Bandwagon-- we loved that run.

Now, Tony is a TV guy who clung to the purity he felt under the "WaPo journalist" aura. Fotr some years, though, he and Wilbon bounced off each other in columns almost as well as tnhey do today on PTI and their local WaPo videos, so the duo is entertaining.

Another poster with whom I agree noted that Tony now only keeps up to date with a few sports. (I know or care nothing about hockey, but I think Tony considers himself a hockey reporter, but I don't know or care. Is he OK on hockey?)

Nonetheless, it is passing of an era for what it says about economics of WaPo-- if they keep shedding writers to save money, what's ahead for smaller newspapers without deep $$ reserves and commitments to a quality news product?

Posted by: West Coaster, Ex DC Guy | May 14, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Meh, he wasn't laid off, he took the money and ran; jumped ship, maybe a sinking ship.
I'm supposed to feel sorry for this guy for selling out?

Posted by: Michael | May 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Finally!!!!

(Editor's Note: This wasn't really written by Mike Wise.)

Posted by: Mike Wise | May 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Kornholer was still (working for) getting paid by the Post?! Wow, that should be extortion...

Posted by: Sam | May 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Tony is a donkey.

Posted by: Bobo | May 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Tony can now find time to take in some manly sports like soccer and hockey, instead of the time-out ridden ones he favored for so many years.

Posted by: Bartolo | May 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

TK was pretty awesome back in the day. He and Norman Chad were must-reads every single time. At least the latter is still around and writing, although I expect he'll be ruined by his burgeoning poker-commentator stardom.
Richard Justice is still pretty awesome.
I miss the old TK.
"NEXT!"

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | May 14, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser was a great Washington sports columnist in the 1980s and 1990s. But considering that he hasn't written a full length sports column in years, he gave up that title long ago. This is actually a good day for the Post--instead of paying Tony big bucks to make videos three days a week, they can spend his salary on someone who actually will write for the paper and cover or opine about local sports teams. Everyone will benefit.

Posted by: Fingerman | May 14, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This was not surprising, and not terribly disappointing, either, in my view. I used to enjoy reading Tony Kornheiser's stuff, back when he was funny 8-10 years ago. Since then, he's been writing less and less, and the quality of what he does write has declined, frankly. Good luck to him in his broadcast endeavors, but I don't think the Post will miss him much.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 14, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

It does seem like a bit of a formality, from a reader's point of view. Nonetheless, it's a sad day for me. I've been reading Tony's work since I was in my teens (I'm 45) and I will miss him. I know he's become more polarizing since he became a "TV personality", but he was a GREAT sports columnist.

Happy trails, TK.

Posted by: KR in DC | May 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This isn't disappointing. The sports world is changing and becoming more global. If anything, we need to trim the fat off by ridding the landscape of more bias, narrow-minded sports reporters with no culture.

Posted by: Sean | May 14, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Cheeseboy,
Please go away. Of course you make my hero's departure about you.

TK 4 Life

Posted by: Dan O'Conner | May 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance, Tony. I enjoyed many of your columns, but your narrow-minded take on so many sports besides Football/Basketball/Golf drove me nuts.

Live in the now, man. LIVE IN THE NOW!

Posted by: Blackaces | May 14, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I've been a life-long DC area resident, and the Post Sports pages in the '80's and '90's were as good as it got. Povich, Justice, Feinstien, TK, Wilbon, Jenkins, Solomon - What a banquet! I know Tony was one who most folks either loved or hated, as can be seen above. He'll take the money and run--keep doing PTI (though I think sometimes the show is a bit too stage-managed) and MNF for a while--probably write a book (or two). Maybe even take another dead tree news gig just for old time's sake. I think it's too bad that the print world seems to be going downhill. The net and TV just don't have the time (or the desire) to do deep journalism. It's flash in the pan - 30 seconds and your done.

Posted by: ebtnut | May 14, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

In the good old days, Post readers would get Tony Kornheiser several times a week in the Sports section, plus a Sunday general interest feature in Style (or its equivalent). Then, with his television duties increasing, Kornheiser began doing shorts for the Sports section instead of full-length columns. Often they were terrific. The verbatim excerpts the Post now runs from his shows are only a pale shadow of the vintage, print Kornheiser -- not because he isn't witty, amusing and insightful on the air, but because almost all of us sound like dolts when somebody types out a raw transcript of every word coming out of our mouths. It all makes me yearn for the days -- God help us -- of the Bandwagon. Tony must know that these off-the-cuff snippets from his shows aren't up to par. Perhaps he'll return to print in some form after realizing that shooting off your mouth is no substitute for the hard work of reporting and writing a column.

Posted by: Alexandria | May 14, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

This announcement was ironic for me since it was just yesterday that I resolved not to listen TK's radio show anymore. This came after listening to him rant about how Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy was not qualified to sit on the Supreme Court since he only had about $100K in life savings. Of course, Kennedy has been in public service for most of his professional life, but who are we to confuse worth with wealth? TK has made his mint on Monday Night Football. Good for him. But the Post won't miss him since he stopped writing for the paper years ago (and I was a big fan of TK's 10+ years ago).

Posted by: Ironic | May 14, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

About a year and a half ago, Wilbon and Kornheiser were commenting on a play in an international soccer match on PTI. Gary Neville, a defender for England, kicked the ball back to his own goalkeeper, Paul Robinson. Robinson geared up for a kick, only for the ball to skip off the grass past his foot into the net for an own goal.

Kornheiser's response was that Robinson should have picked up the ball, ignorant of a prominent rule in soccer that goalkeepers cannot use their hands when a ball is played back to them in the penalty are by a teammate.

Situations like that are indicative of what Kornheiser has been the last few years. He is a trash, old-fashioned TV personality (I refuse to use the term writer in reference to him anymore) whose prime was 20 years ago. He was disrespectful to any sports other than baseball and football, and reported more on Jessica Simpson and Brittney Spears than the Caps, United, and hockey and soccer in general. Good riddance, and here is hoping ESPN gives him the boot soon.

Long live Wilbon though.

Posted by: Ted | May 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

He hasn't truly written for the Post in years. He's an ego-maniac. He single-handedly ruined MNF. The sooner he goes, the better.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Dan...over 50 comments, and you didn't even end your post with a question!

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 14, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Long live Wilbon? Aren't there enough race-baiting retards on TV already?

Posted by: Yo Momma | May 14, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of money by the WaPo. What exactly are they buying him out of. The 40-word sound bites they pull from his daily video vomit - er, I mean "commentary." If I'm a shareholder in WaPo Co., I'm pissed right now. They might as well offer me a buyout - for the past five years, I was doing as much work for the Washington Post as Kornheiser was.

Posted by: thediesel | May 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

We've already missed him in print. Still, it's sad to hear the news. Keep listing to the show and watch PTI!

Posted by: Big Time | May 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Ironic that "Ironic" missed the sarcasm in TK's Kennedy rant yesterday.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how anyone who grew up as a sports fan in this area can not have a special place in their heart for TK Stack Money. The United and Caps message-boarders who flocked here to crap on Tony's grave are either the boring too uptight type, or they don't get it, or both.

Tony's persona is that of a self-important a-hole who is too big-time to be bothered by "the littles"...yeah, that's him. But he's also the guy who wrote funny must-read columns that brought sports closer to home throughout the 80s and (moreso) 90s. He didn't just bring the amazing Bandwagon to DC, he brought nickanmes like David "Bird of Prey" Falk and he has inspired a legion of people who think of Feinstein as "Junior", not as a famous author.

Tony also made sportstalk radio in DC. When Sportstalk 570 started up years ago, Tony made it legitimate with his morning show that would be re-broadcast during drive-time. I disagree with commenters who suggest he won some sort of lottery to get famous...his charisma and persona on the radio and TV is unique and compelling (whether you like it or not). He has earned his success.

He hasn't written anything meaningful in the Post for years and he's not going to disappear from the public anytime soon. Nonetheless, today's news should not be a reason for people who aren't from around here (or are so easily offended by his distaste for hockey and soccer) to talk down about him. Today should be for looking ahead to a cool retrospective of his golden-era work in the paper in the 90s.

Rack me.

Posted by: Markus V. | May 14, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Metaphorically for TK: Video Killed the Radio Star ...

Posted by: greg | May 14, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Agreed w/Markus...it's a better day to reflect on Kornheiser's stuff than to rip. It's not fair to imply that he big-timed the Post in favor of other media...I remember Wilbon saying in an interview that TK didn't think his stuff was that good anymore, that he'd lost his writing gift. If anything, he was probably paralyzed by the criticism that a lot of folks are levying: All of his other gigs prevented him from really knowing a subject and being able to quickly weigh in with a salient point or column. Any writer can understand that.

Posted by: DD | May 14, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous:
Yes, I got the sarcasm. What I left unsaid was that TK's Kennedy rant was indicative that his sarcasm has gotten increasingly mean and petty. But maybe that just means his sarcasm is too smart for me.

Posted by: Ironic | May 14, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing more pathetic than a Kornheiser fanboy rushing to the defense of a man who would be appalled if one of his fans ever dared approach him. I mean, what happened, did the Star Wars conventions not do it for you guys anymore? Had to find something else to obsess over? As for TK, he had some great moments as a writer, got off a few good lines, but was never among the upper tier of American sportswriters. He made himself a brand and a personality, and abandoned the Post long ago, in spirit if not in body. So today's news means nothing. Will the Post be any different tomorrow than it was today? Nope.

Posted by: thediesel | May 14, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I know the kiddies don't get Mr. Tony and having been reared in Boston and living in Atlanta, I didn't discover him until far too late.

Growing up with the Bird-led C's team I couldn't wait to read Bob Ryan, Leah Montville, Shaunessey, Gammons, Jackie MacMullen every day. I suspect it was the same in DC with the outstanding writers working at the Post. Maybe this Internet thing isn't just a fad, but I think its too bad some of the old geniuses are getting bought out and ending up on NAMETHATSPORTSSITE.COM.

Posted by: Mr. Know-it-all | May 14, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

DC United fans, get over yourselves. Same goes for you Capitals fans.

At best, soccer is a fledgling sport in the US.

The Caps have been pretty bad, save 2001. And hockey had been in disarray up until recently.

Kornheiser covered the Skins because they truly are the only sports team that permeates every corner of the area. It made sense to write about the team that everyone cares about. And he did a great job at it.

Posted by: Native | May 14, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame that all of you criticizing Tony on this site couldn't hold his jock when it came to writing... there's a reason he writes for the greatest newspaper on Earth and you write comments on its Web site.

Thanks for all the years of solid writing... hopefully Wilbon will carry on for many years to come.

Posted by: NY Journalist | May 14, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is ALIVE? I thought he died when he finally KILLED MNF! Oh well, now he'll have time to attend a NASCAR race.

Posted by: Combover | May 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

noooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser has been a waste of good print space for several years now. More of a writer for Style than sports. Wilbon is afraid to tackle any tough race issues (note that Emilio Garcia shied away from having Wilbon address the McNabb-Limbaugh controversy and had Boswell handle it instead). Ralph Wiley would be rolling over in his grave.

Thank goodness for Mike Wise. At least there's somebody at The Post's sports department willing to write about sports for a living.

Posted by: Brian D. | May 14, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

For the longest time, TK's writing was the best possible way to start my morning. he was a joy to read. But life moves on and his success took him away from what he did best...pure Peter Principle.

I spent the better part of 45 years in the DC area, until that toad, GWB, ruined my run. now i'm a continent away and the official end of TK's Post career cuts another strand to that burg.

i do have to thank the hater's that have posted here though. they confirm what I've believed since my family moved to DC from Baltimore, when I was in the 5th grade. DC is a venal town who's only industry is self-absorption and who's denizens try desperately to fake having a tenth part of the class and decency of a real community.

Posted by: mdrockjock | May 14, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"DC is a venal town who's only industry is self-absorption and who's denizens try desperately to fake having a tenth part of the class and decency of a real community."

Posted by: mdrockjock | May 14, 2008 5:02 PM
***
Dude, you're taking anonymous comments from a local sports blog, and using them to say *THAT* about my hometown and everyone who lives here? I mean, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence you could use to make that point without having to rely on freaking anonymous blog comments...while I'd still disagree with you, I wouldn't necessarily be glad that you're now a continent away (though to be fair, I'd still rather have had you here these past 7 years than GWB, and not just because he thinks even less of DC than you do).

You stay classy, mdrockjock. You stay classy.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 14, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance.

now leave PTI

and radio

and MNF

and go away

Posted by: Jerry | May 14, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

NY Journalist - Maybe some of the people who write comments on this website could have actually produced better columns than the half-hearted tripe Tony tried to pass off as "columnettes" over the past year.
Also, Brian D, I agree with you regarding Wilbon, who - like Tony - appears more and more to treat readers as an annoyance he must put up while waiting to rub elbows with his jock and sportswriter buddies at the next sports-related party. (Is there any sportswriter - or journalist, period - who has the words "I've gotten to know (insert Celebrity name here) a little bit" come from his/her mouth more than Wilbon?)I still haven't forgiven Wilbon for his arrogant, back-of-the-hand response to readers after his insensitive comments regarding Sean Taylor's death

Posted by: roje | May 14, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

He wrote a very funny column once, a few years ago. I think it was in the Sunday Style section. The rest of his writing was, I thought, mediocre. From what I understand, he is in private very much as he appears in public: cranky and bitter.

He never won a Pulitzer, and obviously, he did not love his craft, since he consistently sold out for the money. Even his books were lazy, since they were just reprints of mediocre columns. He was no Dave Barry, he wasn't even a Gene Weingarten (who DID win a Pulitzer). He was occasionally funny on radio, and he did get better as he gained experience. His first few months were unlistenable.

If he does not know it now, and I think he does, he could've been better. Instead, he's wealthy. We are all better off.

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 14, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

No. When you carry on like an insufferable jerk for as long as Kornheiser has, you don't get any kind of free pass. I'm not sorry to see him go, he hasn't written anything worth a damn since the bandwagon columns in 1991, when he became am egomaniac. It was funny for one football season, and he hasn't been worth the paper he's printed on since.

And for those of you who missed it, check out the transcript of a recent radio show of his here: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2008/2/welcome-back-to-radio-show-for-50-year.html

Posted by: Sorry folks | May 14, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Excellent news!
I have hated him for decades. Totally unfunny.
"Sports Writer"... yeah, right.

Posted by: buzzard | May 14, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if we can get comment from Dave McKenna, Paul Farhi, and Ken Beatrice on this.

Posted by: Bingo | May 14, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok, just for the record...Tony didn't ruin MNF...the people who hired him did and they've got a solid run of mistakes going in recent years. So please don't put that on Tony. Any of you would take that gig in a heartbeat and suck too.

Now I suspect a lot of Tony haters weren't reading each week the Bandwagon articles in the 91. If you did, you don't love the skins and don't realize what an iconic piece of history and the hold on our hearts those articles still have.

Best wishes Tony. And Maggie...

Posted by: www.redskinsdb.com | May 14, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest. The bandwagon columns were phoned in. It was SSDW.

Posted by: Come Now... | May 14, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

good ridance :D

Posted by: Srdan | May 14, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to bad rubbish. . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser was one of the best humor writers in the whole country. He took his comedy and smarts to the airwaves for more money. So what. Good for him.

His column and his radio show, when it was fresh and not a bitter rant, were his therapy couch and we were his psychoanalyst.

A good writer only has so many great words in him. Most of his left his brain and fingers long ago.

I don't mourn his passing as a writer; that happened a while ago. What's sad is seeing a major media star take a buyout. I don't know how much he makes from the newspaper but he really needs the cash from the Washington Post? They have been paying him to do nothing for almost three years. They keep offering buyouts, downsizing, losing readers and giving the paper away on the Metro.

It's not like he's cashing in his Microsoft options. Tony is a millionaire, not some person who got coffee for people like Kornheiser for 30 years and maybe swept floors or wrote about crime or education and probably tries to support a family on less than 70k.

He can't just have a nice goodbye party and retire and give back that money for people who might deserve it?

A friend once told me he met Kornheiser and said the old guy grandpa act was not really who he was. He said he was really a nasty guy who was unapproachable and was obsessed with other people who might be getting ahead of him. I didn't believe it and told that person he was acting like a kid who didn't get his baseball card signed by Barry Bonds.

The more I read the more my friend unfortunately sounds right.

Wilbon still has insights and intelligence. Tom Boswell still romances baseball and provides great golf analysis. Sally Jenkins harldy writes but sometimes can say things stronger and better than anyone. Mike Wise has heart and depth and courage I haven't seen in years in the sports writing world.

I haven't thought any of those things about Kornheiser for a long time. I've been missing him since the late 1980s.

Posted by: Bill, Wheaton, Md. | May 14, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Like the Beatles with "Sgt. Pepper," Eric Clapton with "Layla," and the Carpenters with "The Carpenters Greatest Hits," he was never able to escape the shadow of his incredible run of Bandwagon articles leading up to the Redskins third Super Bowl win. Every one of them - every single one of them is a classic.

Posted by: Kemp | May 15, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight, Canada.

Posted by: Bluefield Hokie | May 15, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Tony, along with Larry Michael, prove that lack of sports knowledge is no hindrance to success in the sports field.

Posted by: Longtime Observer | May 15, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Think of how many Post jobs could have been saved if they pushed this self-important, one-dimensional, overpaid, overhyped, over-indulgent blowhard to the plank 10 years ago, when he last made the Post his employment priority. His act got old about the time of Nixon's resignation.

Posted by: rickNmd | May 15, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Korn was the past, you are the future... and don't forget, Colonial Nation is Steinberg Nation!

Posted by: Colonial Fan | May 15, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Buh bye, Tony. Don't let the door hit you in the rear.
Wilbon, you're next. Leave, please. What an arrogant waste of space each of you are.

Posted by: Caps fan | May 15, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

This is a sad day for the Washington Post. Not so much because TK is leaving, he will always be part of the proud tradition of the Post, but because the paper is dying.

I love the Post. I think it is the best paper in the country. It is a local paper in an international city, that is precisely the right size, containing a brilliant mix of stories and perspectives. Even though I live 3,000 miles away and read the online version everyday, there is nothing I miss more about DC then waking up to the Post every morning. I remember passing around the sports section with my high school basketball teammates pouring over box scores. I remember fighting over the Style section with my mom. Most of all, I remember just starting to read Kornheiser and Wilbon and Boswell and discovering what would become a life long love of sports writing. I read about sports more than I watch them. Now that I think about it, I enjoy reading about sports more than I like watching them.

The WP was in my hand, or under my cereal bowl, for many of my best days. But it is going away. It is dying. Remember those days when you ran outside in December, without your shoes, because you couldn't begin the day without the paper? Who does that now? How many kids are going to school with ink stained hands? Now they have carpal tunnel. How depressing!

Kornheiser, for a very long time, was a great sportswriter. He was funny and smart and insightful. And yes, eventually, being just a sportswriter did not satisfy him anymore. He is an ambitious guy. He wanted more. Who doesn't? Sports columnists are supposed to annoy and poke. On occasion, he did that better than anyone. He also, in the light of tragedy, wrote as thoughtfully and skillfully as any sports writer on the planet.

The Post that many of us grew up with is disappearing. Tony leaving isn't the rose on its grave, but it certainly is a big nail in the coffin.

Posted by: Portlandmike | May 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way:

As a TK apologist, I'll relay this story about him.

When I was an undergrad of U of Maryland, I enrolled in a communication class that required me to interview a complete stranger. My dad who I spent time everyday talking sports with, suggested TK.

Of course I responded that was the stupidest thing I ever heard and even if I did call, he would never call me back.

Well, for some inexplicable reason, I gave it a shot.

TK called me back within two days and allowed me to interview him and spend the entire day with him and Andy Pollin on their WTEM radio show. He was a nice guy, but he wasn't without edge. He busted my chops and he busted chops of everyone around him. But he was candid and honest. I appreciated the time and will never forget the incredible feeling that I could just pick up the phone and call him.

Good guy, great experience.

Posted by: portlandmike | May 15, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

My God, portlandmike. I mean, my God.

Posted by: afronation | May 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Screw Kornheiser. Good Riddance to his ugly mug and tacky combover.

Posted by: Zman | May 15, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Too bad, although his columns have fallen in quality over the years. He (along with Gammons) was a big reason I wanted to be a journalist, and why I went to journalism school.

This happens quite a bit though, especially lately; if you read Richard Justice now, his columns are often terrible, and he mocks varying viewpoints from his own (the increasing statistical analysis in baseball, for example).

Posted by: CS | May 16, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser has been mailing it in for years now.
gnushound.blogspot.com