The Redskins Are Hiring a Blogger

WARNING * * SELF-REFERENTIAL MEDIA TALK * *

A couple weeks ago I got a call from Redskins Minister of Information Karl Swanson. He wanted to talk about the team's idea to create a blog on Redskins.com. In theory, he wasn't talking about a collection of press releases and bad video clips published using blog software, but rather a real honest-to-goodness blog, filled, theoretically, with behind-the-scenes nuggets on Chris Cooley's drug testing tales, Fred Smoot's energy drink business and DeShawn Stevenson's beard. Yeah, that's right, the concept is an all-D.C. sports blog, to include posts about whatever its author deems fit, including artisanal cheese when necessary.

(I was, embarrassingly, a bit humbled to have been contacted. I also felt that this was a sure sign that the Bog is just way too fluffy, and so I tried vainly to write a whole bunch of anti-Redskins jokes last week, just to make myself feel better.)

Anyhow, I had my first-ever face-to-face conversation with the Minister of Information last week. This position isn't going to end up working out for me--although a friend pointed out that it would have been "the most exciting two-and-a-half weeks of your life!!!"--but I still think the idea of a behind-the-scenes, video-and-photo-heavy, well-written and authentic Redskins.com blog, composed by a real blogger, is a tremendous one that will almost certainly succeed. And there are some extremely impressive names being bandied about for who this blogger might turn out to be. I plan on stealing his or her copy almost immediately.

That's the news. Anyhow (and here's where this entry becomes unbearably media-obsessed), you might have learned about this yesterday from reading some other Post blog, which led to me suddenly getting e-mails to the effect of, "So what's the deal with the Redskins job?" Yeah, months after I had refused to blog about the job-offer rumors swirling around some other Post reporter, and on the same day that I was ardently defending that other Post reporter against the Source-o-Meter, he was blogging about my career path using anonymous sources and my initials, leading some confused message board folks to think Karl Swanson was going to hire Daniel Snyder to blog about Brandon Lloyd.

Now I don't have much of a leg to stand on here, since I once wrote an extremely obnoxious blog post about a co-worker based on anonymous sources without talking to him, but jeez, if some other Post blogger wanted that badly to report on my career path, he could have asked me. Then, instead of "I keep hearing," he could have written "Steinberg just told me." Or, he could have called the Minister of Information, and then written "the Minister of Information just told me that he almost tried to buy Steinberg's soul."

Then again, maybe mysteriously sourced material makes for better copy than "Swanson said."

See, I could work for the Redskins! I'm whining about anonymous sources! Somebody dial up the Source-o-Meter!

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 21, 2008; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mystics Go Vegan Hard-Core Punk
Next: Cooley's Wedding Approaches

Comments

You should work for BehindTheBadge.com - that's the best blog in DC Sports. By Far.

This is not Kyle Sheldon.

Posted by: Your biggest fan | May 21, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Here's the basic question: will there be ONE piece of information on this blog that isn't officially vetted by the Skins front office?

The obvious answer is "no."

So why do it? Don't they already have The Larry for their on-air house man? Do they really think that they need a Net house man?

Whoever takes this job will have demonstrated that his/her need for cash is greater than his/her need for self-respect.

Posted by: TMU | May 21, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

JLC has the most up-to-date redskins blog in all of the internet,it also contains a huge negative slant to the current organization.coming off of a winning season you'd think things would be peachy or at the very least neutral,but NOPE,not in JLC's world.

if JLC doesn't like a move the redskins FO makes he'll give his negative opinion,and won't report the other side or the other possibility,just the usual doom and gloom.

slanted journalism at it's worst.

and how ironic that JLC has gotten a hardon for Morocco Brown. Is JLC looking for a new source since the organization has gotten rid of all of his old ones?

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | May 21, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

JLC tells like it is. If the Skins win a Super Bowl, I'm sure he'll say all of the positive things the Skins FO needs to hear to feel like they accomplished their mission in life. But since that isn't happening as long as Snyder owns the team, we can all relax.

Posted by: JLC forever | May 21, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

No, if you want slanted journalism at its worst, you have only to tune into the stylings of Larry Michael.

The Kool-Aid drinkers will never be happy with JLC because he dares to point out that Emperor Danny is sometimes naked.

Let me put it to you this way -- as long as Dan Snyder treats his employees like dirt, and he always will (because he always has), JLC will never want for sources.

Posted by: TMU | May 21, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgandy = Larry Michaels.

Posted by: Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

JLC DEFENSE FORCE UNITE!!!

I've been critical of the danny and cousin vinny before. However,once Vinny was given a real title and amount of power,things have seemed like they're moving in a normal as possible pace.(minus OchoCincoGate)

and I agree about larry michael,he's the opposite of JLC,he's permantly stuck in dan snyders rectum. While JLC is always trying to tear the skins FO and ownership a new one with every article.

if you disagree about JLC acting like he has an axe to gring with Snyder and the skins FO, your equally brainless and spineless,and would probably believe anything you read from JLC.

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | May 21, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Ron/Larry, you wrote:

"While JLC is always trying to tear the skins FO and ownership a new one with every article."

Please, enlighten us with an example of this from "every article" JLC has written. All of them. Each one. Specific examples, with links. They're all online. Shouldn't be too hard to prove if what you write is true.

Posted by: Football's So Great | May 21, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I have no intention of linking a single thing that is 2-3 clicks away from you already,you twit.

just read the blog and you'll find petty cheap shots throughout it,and if you need articles look for

The numbers don't lie

or when Louis Riddick wasn't re-hired JLC acted as if the skins FO was making a grave mistake.

I prefer straight up information,sadly you'll never get that from larry michael or JLC,and if you want the inside info from JLC you get his garbage slanted view of things with it.

JLC doesn't tell it how it is, he tells it how he'd like other people see it.

I swear it comes from a midget superiority complex, JLC and Snyder look like they could be cousins.

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | May 21, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Football's So Great | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

50 comments... easy

Posted by: littles | May 21, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"ignorant turd wrote:So you made an absurd blanket generalization, then refused to back up your assertion and topped it off with name-calling? Nice work. Now please, do everyone a favor and go back to ExtremeSkins."

can't to busy getting LULZ at the spineless JLC defense force

you know and I know JLC rags on the skins FO at any chance he can get be it deserved or not.

you prefer to be a sheep and accept someone elses opinion without forming your own.

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | May 21, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

This job is made for B-Lloyd.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 21, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

dude, jlc gives some nice nuggets and is better than what we used to have. However, Ron Burgandy is right, he has a negative spin on all things Redskins. All you have to do is read his blog for bout a week before you realize that this man does not like the Redskins. Now you don't have to like them, just be fair, which he is not.

Posted by: Ted | May 21, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ted,thank you for seeing the truth and not being a sheep

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | May 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I never realized that good Redskins coverage precluded the author from reporting anything negative.

Considering Snyder's meddling past in the staff hirings, his fantasy like devotion to buying players, his loyalty to those who toe the company line and his incestuously close relationship with Cerrato - isn't it fair to take a critical look at Snyder and Cerrato?

Posted by: Hail, hail | May 21, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Ron, what are you, 5 years old? Grow up, child.

Posted by: Skins Fan | May 21, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

You can work for the Skins and get behind the scenes clips of Larry literally kissing Danny Boy's ass.

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | May 21, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

" ... if some other Post blogger wanted that badly to report on my career path, he could have asked me ...."

In the bloggy world of "new media", people want to know ... the blogger is as much the story as the content, right?

So if some other WaPo blogger hadn't outed you about it, would you have blogged on it on your own?

Posted by: dcsween | May 21, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Bog,

It would have been highly enjoyable seeing you walk down the hallway at the Park in your Redskins polo while the WaPo staffers glared at you like a scene out of Mean Girls or something equally ridiculous. That would have been something I would have enjoyed blogging about. Oh well, maybe they'll hire Dave Elfin.

Cheers,

murf.

Posted by: Homer McFanboy | May 21, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

so where do I send my resume/url?

Posted by: Bobtimist Prime | May 22, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"My name was on the street!? ... MY NAME IS MY NAME!"

Posted by: Marlo Stanfield | May 22, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse