The Wizards Disappear, With Smiles

(By Preston Keres - TWP)

"No, he's crazier than me. I'm already broken. I learned early. He's not filtered. I think about stuff. Mine goes through the filter first." - Gilbert Arenas, on whether DeShawn Stevenson is as crazy as he is.

"I'm a man, he's a man, and when the battle was over, I went up to him and gave him respect.... We fought it out, and the best man won. He said, 'Good series dog, respect, respect,' and we walked off. That's what men do." - Caron Butler, on his postgame chat with LeBron James.

For the second time in 11 days, a D.C. season ended at Verizon Center. No tossed beer bottles this time, although plenty of tossed little white cheer towels. And just as with the Caps, the home team's biggest star took a minute to clap for the fans, with Caron Butler walking off the court, arms raised, saluting whomever was left in the arena.

A friend said Thursday night that he'd rather lose with Gil than win without him; in a related thought, I (almost) would rather watch the home team lose a ludicrously entertaining series than win some boring drudgery. And, as noted above, this has all been with the "filtered" Gilbert. The "unfiltered" Gilbert? It boggles the mind.

Tonight's starting lineup was easily the team's most successful of the sesaon; its winning percentage was something like .570. Teams that play .570 ball are only going so far.

The hope can only be that the same group comes back next year, no one gets hurt, Caron learns to play like a madman even when Gil's on the court, Gil learns to dial his game back a bit, DeShawn decides to keep acting like a nutso, and everyone's Internet click counts remain high. At the same time, is it possible that this team is smashed to bits and becomes as unbloggable as the Cavs?

"Anything can happen," Butler said, "and obviously we know that, but I got faith in this organization and I strongly feel that we'll stay intact."

Does he want everyone back, despite the drama, despite the talking, despite occasionally being trashed by national media types?

"Of course," he said. "It's a great team, man."

Eddie Jordan too?

"I love him as a person, I love him as a coach, I can't wait to put on that uniform and play for him again next year," Butler said.

A few more postgame thoughts:

Eddie Jordan on the timing of the Songaila suspension: "Nothing surprises me. Nothing surprises me. I stood my ground, I said what I had to say, and I'm not gonna fight the league or the officials."

Butler, on the series: "I mean, we played hard on both ends of the floor. We had tough fouls, they had hard fouls, it was a tough fought series. I think it was entertaining for the fans, the fans all across the world loved it. I think it was one of the most watched series, and we was on BET. We made the Black Carpet. That was nice. Jay-Z diss, all that. It was a great series."

James, on the series: "We had a lot of things go on besides basketball in this series, which was fun. But at the same time we took care of business. Soulja Boy, DeShawn Stevenson, my big brother Jay, myself, the crowd with 'Overrated,' all that, it comes down to us winning a really gruesome series 4-2 and looking forward to the next round."

James, on Stevenson: "You know, Cleveland is advancing, we won the series 4-2, that speaks louder than me saying anything about the fans here, anything about DeShawn Stevenson. Cleveland is advancing, that's all that matters."

Stevenson, on the hype: "I think that made everybody come out and play hard. I know I did. If we didn't, it wouldn't have been exciting. Like I said, it made everyone's jobs easier. It made the media's job easier, and it was exciting to play. I'm a talker, you know; that's what I do. I was raised like that. We need someone on the team like that."

Gilbert, on his summer plans: "I'm not gonna try anything stupid this summer, playing summer league games. No Barry Farms this summer. I'm gonna just take my time and just prepare for next season. I'm gonna be smart about it this year. I'm gonna have 5 to 6 months, I'm gonna actually get this thing strong again and ready to go again...I'm gonna do just a lot of body work. I'm gonna go into yoga. Probably go into boxing a little bit, because I ain't gonna be able to use my legs for at least a month. Just to keep burning some calories. I'm getting my pool built so I can swim a lot."

Gilbert, on summer golf: "No, I don't golf. Walking and hitting balls? Is that a sport? Is that an actual sport still?"

Butler, on the loss: "Anything I had in me, everything, I left it out there on the court. I know it's gonna be a long summer and I can live with that. I sleep good at night."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 2, 2008; 11:51 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pro'Verb's Got a New Wiz Anthem
Next: Wizards Dipped in Chocolate

Comments

Thanks to all the Wizards. We were tired, many men down, bruised and battered, and we fought hard.

Posted by: Nancy | May 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

LeBron absolutely OWNED the Wiz tonight. They had no answer for him, or for anyone else defensively. Not surprising, for a bunch of punks straight off the playground. No D, bad shot selection on offense, no heart, but a lot of talking. This team is absolute GARBAGE, and all you CRYBABY fans in DC got exactly what you deserved.

Posted by: King James | May 3, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

and you represent Cleveland so very well.. god speed jackass...

Posted by: littles | May 3, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Tonight and yesterday just proves the NBA is a business and not a basketball league. DQ'ing Songalia 6 hours before tip (after we did morning practice) proves the NBA needs rating. Why didn't the NBA make the suspension call the night of the play or the day after??? No! The NBA waits til 6 hours til tip do it. The fix is in. We all know the NBA wants to go international and they can't do it with the Wiz. They need LeTravel. Tim Donaghy and now this. FN CROCK.
-ahern

Posted by: ahern | May 3, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

I cannot wait until all of these ridiculous Cleveland idiots stop coming out of the woodwork and posting on this site. Let's see you win SOMETHING, ANYTHING, in ANY SPORT and then you can talk trash with DC. We may not be able to beat the Cavs these days, but I can sleep at night knowing that my city has a proud sports history that dominates the sorry, pathetic sports scene in Cleveland. You guys haven't won a title in over 60 years (in any sport)! Good riddance.

Posted by: MD to DC | May 3, 2008 2:41 AM | Report abuse

This was a tough series to watch with a kid. How do you explain why grown men on the court and in the stands taunt a great player as overrated and hit him in the face over and over? When adults with microphones stoke the fires of provocation with each post-game question?

Here's what I wish I'd said to my son. Did you see when they asked Lebron what he thought of Deshawn when it was over? How he talked about his team's success, not his own? How he resisted the urge to trash the people he beat on the court? And did you see Antawn come out and play a better game of basketball than the guys on his team who talked louder and took cheap shots on the court?

These are things a man does. These are things to aspire to. The rest is an embarrassment to the people who did it, cheered it on, and "reported" it.

Posted by: Outta Here | May 3, 2008 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Stop with the excuses. The better team won...again. The Wizards will never beat the Cavaliers with LeBron James.

Posted by: Keep Crying | May 3, 2008 3:16 AM | Report abuse

well, keep crying thats good, cause lebron will be in NY with his "big brother" in a couple years and Cleavland will continue to suck and have no Ikea.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 3:58 AM | Report abuse

Great post, Dan. I won't miss the trolls. What will they miss more, the bowling alleys, liquor museum or LeBron when he goes to Brooklyn?

It was frustrating watching the Wizards for many reasons, but it's hard for me to be mad at the players. I hope things are done to better the team for next season. The current personnel has a lot of potential. The style and sets don't always fit the team though. I'm not sure if Eddie Jordan was running the team or the front office, but I still believe that may mean a new coach. Jordan's strategies may work in theory, but too often he uses the wrong players. Mike Brown and Lebron James won a couple games off the court. The only person softer than James in this series may have been Jordan. He needed to fight back.

Posted by: sitruc | May 3, 2008 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you shouldn't raise your child as a "sports fan", as you are both far too sensitive withstand a bit of heckling. Maybe polite sports like golf or tennis would be more of your speed.

Here's what you should have said to your son:

1. Every time you are fouled, make sure to point out to the refs that you may be bleeding. It helps to flail your arms wildly and have your coach jump onto the floor as though somebody stabbed you. It is called flopping. The Spurs have won multiple titles doing this.

2. When asked about an opponent who is taunting you, have a multi-millionaire issue a "diss track" against said opponent.

3. When asked what you would like to accomplish during your basketball career, don't mention NBA titles, just say "global icon."

4. In your quest to become a "global icon", bail on your hometown. Can't think of any "global icons" from the greater Cleveland area offhand.

Posted by: godshamgod | May 3, 2008 4:34 AM | Report abuse

MD posted, "I cannot wait until all of these ridiculous Cleveland idiots stop coming out of the woodwork and posting on this site. Let's see you win SOMETHING, ANYTHING, in ANY SPORT and then you can talk trash with DC."

The Wizards and their fans trash-talked. The Cavs played basketball.

It's that simple. Trash-talking is best left to the experts - the Washinton Wizards and their fans.

If the Wizards could play as well as they talk, they would have swept the Cavs.

Posted by: Mark-Ira | May 3, 2008 5:00 AM | Report abuse

When are the excuses going to end? People keep saying Lebron was whining. The man was getting punished. It was obvious that was the game plan all series because the Wiz had no one on James' level. No one. Lebron spoke loudest in the end...27 pts, 13 asts, 13 rebs. Nuff said. Have a nice summer DC fans. Maybe you can support the Caps...oh, their done too. Maybe the Nats...oh, you can write them off too.

Posted by: MD | May 3, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

To all of you Washington Bullet/Wizards fans you now know how it feels to have a superstar beat you.
You truly the Cleveland Cavaliers of the late 80's early 90's.
Michael Jordan single-handedly beat us every year.

Posted by: Mark Price | May 3, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Now that the Wizards are out in the first round(again) The ownership can get rid of Eddie Jordan, and hire Avery Johnson. He can get the Wiz over the hump. It seems that one superstar(LaBron) can beat 3 all stars(Arenas,Butler,Jamison) any day of the week.Avery Johnson is what the Wizards need. along with a Great,not good, big man.

Posted by: Eddie boyd | May 3, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Once again, a tale of two teams. I, as well as those sitting in my section, all felt the Wiz lacked passion last night. The crowd certainly tried to will them to win. Once again in the fourth, the Wiz couldn't buya basket. We all kept shouting for them to take it to the hole because the middle was wide open on several occasions but once again, they settled for outside shots that didn't go in. Anyway, this is my last post for the season and maybe it is time to really take a look at this team as a whole. They all want to be together next season, but as a fan, I truly don't think this team can get it done. As for the loss, I would have rather them have lost in Cleveland by one point than to have them come back here and get manhandled on their own court. Truly disapppointing end. In the end, if I must be honest, Cleveland wanted it more and showed it with their play. Have a great summer everyone.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Think of all the $$$ Abe will save on the electric bill for the Verizon Center now!

He could buy some FAs for next year. O, never mind, that won't happen either.

Posted by: caphcky | May 3, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Gilbert should be carefull what he wishes for. thats what happens when you shake a tree a leopard falls out. Maybe the whole Wizard team overrated themselves and underrated the cavs! see ya next year

Posted by: BUCKNUTS1111 | May 3, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

LOL at cleveland fans - oh poor sweet baby james, getting hit over and over, poor lebron, oh my god, they touched him! Their thugs, throw them out, it's amazing how - lebron going on and on about how I ain't no 6'9 270 for nothing - then looks for blood every time he's touched, cries like a baby when someone lays a finger on him, lies about starting the trash talk, cries about how scared he was that he might get hurt, the most flagrant, viscious, bushleague hit of this entire series was lebron's intentional elbow to Andre Blatches face - for that Songalia gets suspended -- the Wiz were just another pawn in david stern's comical farce - anything to promote queen james and his arsenal of whining, crying, drama queen faces.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

To the guy who thinks his kid should worship the "class" and "dignity" of James, maybe he should hearken back to the elbow the nutso with mucho gusto laid on Andray "not the Giant" Blatche. That deserved more than a late flagrant 11 days later, he shoulda got SONGAILA'd!!!!

Posted by: the real deal | May 3, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

btw, thanks for showing your own class Cleveland, you chanted curse words everytime DeShawn the Don stevenson touched the ball in your home court. It's one thing to do it as a person, but the whole stadium chanting "a-hole"??? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror and not shatter it when the report comes you aren't the fairest of them all

Posted by: the real deal | May 3, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Enough about LeBron "crying". There were 139 fouls called on the Cav's 137 on the Wizzards. The Cav's shot 175 free throws and Washington shot 174.

Maybe Cleveland fans should have called Stevenson "rapist".??

Posted by: Real deal II | May 3, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Cleveland fans should have called Stevenson "rapist".??

Posted by: Real deal II | May 3, 2008 10:15 AM

You're taking it a bit far there, what does it concern you what Deshawn did outside of the court? i ain't defending anything he did outside of bball, nor does it concern me. Seems like like you guys are taking things a bit too personal, probly cuz your team is full of crybabies whose bibs need changing every couple hours!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Amen to all DC fans...Coach, players and Fans, they all deserve this...taking out frustration on Cavs fans, classless...LOL!!!

Posted by: LBJ23 | May 3, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Cleveland fans should have called Stevenson "rapist".??

Posted by: Real deal II | May 3, 2008 10:15 AM

Again, this is and always will be the LAMEST and most asinine defense of crappy reffing. Just because there were an even number of fouls called on both teams does not prove anything. If Cleveland players hacked Wizards players twice as many times, but were called for the same amount of fouls during the series--this is supposed to prove the refs were fair to both teams?

Please.

Posted by: Barno | May 3, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Is there no silver lining for ProVerb in this whole saga?

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 3, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Who's crying now. The wizards should do all their talking after the series. The Wizards should change their name to the dirty female dogs.

Posted by: sphinxmen | May 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Stop crying Wizards fans. now you can go home continue smoking crack

Posted by: sphinxmen | May 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Does the crying ever stop for DC fan? Excuse after excuse as to why you lost for the 3rd straight year. Songaila was not going to prevent the a** kicking that took place last night by the "overrated" King of Akron.

Stevenson can you feel your face now? as the tears run down it...

Arenas do you still want the cavs in the first round? So they can own you again...nice call moron

Posted by: cavfaninmiami | May 3, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Let's start with a little perspective. I've lived in both DC and C-town. Both have up sides and some serious down sides (guys, sitting in a traffic jam on 66 at 02:00 is NOT NORMAL). I can't believe these two cities are having a pi$$ing contest over he said/he said. Get real ... DeShawn doesn't give a rat's a$$ about DC or anyone/anything else but DeShawn.

1) The Wiz aren't going anywhere with EJ coaching. C'mon, your big strategy was hack-a-Bron? Dude, you coach a running team! ... and have you not been paying attention. DON'T piss off LeBron. He's not as motivated when he's not mad.

2) The Cleveland crowd WAS chanting a-hole whenever De-Sh??head touched the ball. They should have either been chanting "F'n idiot" or "thank you". He says "I'm a talker. Every team needs someone like that." Well, thank God he's a talker and not a basketball player. The Wiz could have used another one of those.

3) Caron and Antawn stepped up too late. Not in their playing, but in their leadership. EJ had them going in the wrong direction and never tried to muzzle De-what's-his-name and Brendan. When they finally told the boys to "shut-up and play" they turned in the game 5 performance. Those guys were killer in game 5!

If the Wizards want to move forward they need to lose EJ, De-whoever, and unfortunately Gil. Butler and Jamison and the rest of the team (Mason, anyone?) play better without him. There's just not enough ball to go around.

Posted by: G-town rocks | May 3, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Stop crying Wizards fans. now you can go home continue smoking crack

Posted by: sphinxmen | May 3, 2008 11:33 AM

What the heck? I suppose all you Akorn ohioans gather walnuts all winter and then feed them to Alvin and his chipmunk gang.

Posted by: the real deal | May 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Barno,

I hope you're not implying that the Cavaliers committed a lot more fouls and they just weren't called. I think what the other guy was saying was that there looked to be an equal amount of contact on both sides and the free throw numbers bore that out. Don't see how that's "lame" or "asinine."

Yep, David Stern has a grand plan to fix the NBA for ratings. That's why he "chose" two of the smallest markets in the NBA, including one team that everybody decries as "boring," to play the Finals last year. People will believe anything, I guess.

Posted by: 216 | May 3, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Lebron James is OVERRATED

Posted by: Washington DC | May 3, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

hahahahahahaha...see you next year D.C.!!! BTW, Gil looked like he was on his way to the prom!!!

Posted by: Big Rich | May 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Akron prefers meth. Get it right. In Cleveland, we do smoke our fair share of crack.

Posted by: 216 | May 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Let's rebuild this team. We cannot get it done in the playoff three years straight. It is time for management to overhaul the entire roster, let Gil go if he opts out, same with Jamison if he starts asking for a 100 million contract, Get rid off Stevenson who at the 2 spot can't shoot and finally get a new defensive minded head coach.
A frustrated fan.

Posted by: DFigure | May 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

STU JACKSON~U ARE THE BAMA OF THE WEEK WEEK WEEK WEEK )))))))

paraphrasing.....
On Darius suspension....we looked at the tape and saw they were tangled up and he(songolia)intentionally slapped LeBron in the face(blank stare)

On LeBron/Andre~We did not see anything intentional it was in the course of play so there was nothing flagrant

Are that pressed to save a Religion for a mans namesake ?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Lebron James is OVERRATED

Posted by: Washington DC

Dude, the guy just went off for 27-13-13 in an away game 6. If you want to be a hater you've got to come up with something else. That's just showing you B-ball ignorance.

Posted by: G-town rocks | May 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

pro'verb is going to be ok, he just won the friday night mic fight on 95.5

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn can you fell your face now?
Deshawn you are so underrated!!!
Antwan you can come play for the Cavs, because you have exhibited class and dignity on a team that truly lacks it!!
And Caron, Cleveland had an opportunity to draft you and didn't, they should have because you deserve better!
Deshawn when you you talk the talk , remember you have to be able to walk the walk! Over the summer work on your game and practice a little more quietness. If you need to talk smack to motivate yourself then you need to really take a look at yourself. You play ball with the best players in the world, that should be motivation enough!
Oh Gilbert, opt out baby, opt out!!!!!!
You are in my opinion one of the top 5 offensive talents in the league!
Come and play for a winner baby, where we play ball and that's all!!
Oh Deshawn one more thing I hear Oprah is looking for a replacement for her TALK SHOW! Oh yeah, brendan don't cry it will be okay!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stupidest Player in the NBA | May 3, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Why everybody underestimate the cavs and Lebron. Is like what Jordan said in his post game interview. Lebron is a load. Defense around the league have to come up with some type of strategy to stop him. Not even Kobe gets this much from his opponents. Lebron gets three to for guys on him, everytime he gets the ball. In last year finals, San Antonio did the type of defense against Lebron. The cavs had nothing else that can counter what San Antonio threw at the cavs. Every team just hope the other members of the Cavs just missed their shots. Now that the cavs aquired outside shooters and biggest name in the league for defense(Wallace). The Cavs are the most dangerous team in the NBA.

Posted by: Jcav | May 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the players, coaches, management, and the owner for a good year! It would have been better if we had gotten further in the playoffs. Nevertheless, you all did a wonderful job this year given the challenges and the injuries.

From a lifelong Bullets/Wizards fan, THANK YOU!

Posted by: JFM | May 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't there anymore talking??????
Jaw muscles a little fatigued?????
Bruised egos???????
I cant wait to see the gone fishing picture with Charles and Kenny!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Deshawn, do you fish?????? Travel or practice your standup routine during the offseason, because you were real funny!!!!!

Posted by: Stupidest Player in the NBA | May 3, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Lebron James owns the WIZARDS. it sad
Lebron> Butler,jaminson, Arneas

He put better numbers then Butler and stevenson combined
has more assit then the Wizards team combined in game 6, and who is overrated?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

hey steinberg, didnt you post something on here after the caps game 6 about how it was shocking to see philly fans leave a game 5 minutes early? why not post that about the half empty verizon center with 5 minutes left yesterday?

no? okay.

go nats!

Posted by: lenny dykstra | May 3, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Who's cryng now?? Poor little Wizards fans - got d***smacked again by that "overrated" guy. It was such a joy to see you all forlorn and muzzled at the end of game 6, as you realized you were going to be owned for a third time. Don't worry though, there's always next millennium! You Wizards fans are bigger turds and trash than your team. Take a tip from Antawn and try to show some class next time. All this time, I thought the most stupid person in DC resided in the White House...LOL!
Have a nice summer everybody! Bye bye!

Posted by: Awww | May 3, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The Cavs completely own the BULLETS... oh sorry Wizards...

Gil doesn't think Golf is a sport... thats crazy its much harder to control a golf ball than a basketball... which he can't do either apparently...

Posted by: Cavs Fan | May 3, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's the true view of this team from someone who has actually watched them evolve over the last three years:
1) The wizards are better defensively this year and should be even better with Eton coming back and another year in this defensive system. Gil, if he comes back, will also have time to learn the system and not be such a liability on defense
2) Gil, if he is thinking at all, should NOT opt out. If he really thinks about it, what team is going to give this guy a MAX contract after he had two surgeries to the same knee and looked terrible when he played over the last 2 weeks. If he has a clue, he will realize this and not opt out giving the Wiz the leeway to resign jamison and maybe get someone else to help
3) Eddie Jordan is a good coach, and is thought of very highly throughout the league. When he leaves DC, he will be snapped up immediately. His in game coaching can improve but this team was without its starting/star point guard for 60+ games, without its starting center all year, and without its other starting forward for 20+ games and still made the playoffs easily.
4) We have good young talent that will grow and help this team. Of all the people i trust in this organization, Ernie G. is the man that has shown he can make great teams and can evaluate talent. I agree with the above sentiments that just making the playoffs and expecting to make it every year is a new situation for the bullets/wizards and we just need a few more players or improved health to make a deeper run in the playoffs.
5) Not sure how we can trade Gil. What team is going to give us equal value for a guy that can score 30+ points every game but now has two surgeries in the same knee. Gil needs to stay and prove he is the man still and then we might get full value. As it stands, if Gil opts out he will not get a Max deal.
6) If we play the Cavs again next year (hopefully in the finals and not in the first round) we have to continue to let the offense flow and not double up on Lebron so much. If we do double up, we have to trap quickly and get the balls out of his hand like we did in game 3 which gets him out of the play early. Watching him sit at the top of the key until it was obvious where the defense was overloading and then dishing was killing us. We needed to trap quickly or back off.
7) We had a good year, we can have a great year if we are healthy, and i'd rather have a team with this much personality and excitement than any other team. Sports is about winning, but it is also about entertainment and no one can say the Wizards were not entertaining this year
8) One last thing, i'm moving to DC. I can't take it living in this city over the last three years, and every year the Cavs have bumped us out of the playoffs. Cleveland ain't as nasty a city as most people think, but i still hate being here when we are playing the Cavs.

Go Wiz in 2009. The new logo, The Take Back, taken back, and reloaded and remixed with a new Diss track thrown in....

Posted by: Sad Wiz fan in Cleveland | May 3, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

MD to DC....Cleveland did have a indoor soccer team that won a few championships. Soccer is a sport.....stop being a tool.

Now lets get past the lame comments of people crying about the fouls (check the stats they were just about even), the technicals (say what you want but there were some very dangerous plays out there), the retarded sub plots (a roll player calling one of the NBA's best overrated), one of the NBA's best giving a roll player attention. Than there is the haters they say Lebron is full of himself (Oh wait GA was referring to himself as the assasin in some interviews...does hipocracy mean anything to some people). Bringing in rap stars into trash talking that should not ahve even taken place.

Amazing that with all those subplots so much attention has been taken away from the solid D on the Cavs ZI, the great adjustments made from game to game by the coaches (yes the screwed some up but lets be serious these guys are not Phil Jackson or Pat Reilly). The leadership shown by Jamison and Butler to take a team that needed it in game 5. Wally Z given no props but still going out game after game and giving it his all and showing up in the clincher. Lebron's leadership in game 6. The way Arenas came in for his first minutes and reminded everyone his abilities even while hurt.

I am glad we have not played the Wizards while healthy, do not take that as a I am scared of the Wizards because right now Cleveland has no reason to be scared. They are an immensly talented team and any team taht can play another without key components makes one feel better about their chances. Personally I think the wizards need to either get a new coach or drop either Butler, Jamison or Arenas. They all are immensly talented and having those three on the court at once takes away from one of the others. So they have to have a special offense or let them reach their potential by trading away one.

Posted by: C-Town for ever | May 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

To watch and listen to the Wizard's fans talk about LeBron being over-rated really makes me laugh. Jealousy maybe? Then to call him a cry baby!! Goodness, what would they have done if their star player (they do have one don't they?) was mugged as much as King James, who by the way, STILL won the battles? Get over it DC, you only are making your city look worse nationally.

All of the nationally sports media are laughing at your implications. Even Charles Barkley, a non Cleveland CAv believer, toasted all your remarks on Lebron's being "overrated", a "cry baby", and "soft"!! Is the rest of the worl wrong and only DC right?

Even in victory, James never mocked or dis'ed the ones who mugged him, called him over-rated, or their fans. At 23, he is more of a man than many NBA veterans. Case Closed. See you next year.......

Posted by: judge | May 3, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

The rest of the world will see how big of a whiner LeQueen is and they will all so see the preferential treatment recieved come next series. For all those who gives a rats behind, just watch the series and see. As for my Wiz, you exceeded expectations even with your limitations this year that the fans dared hope for more and are of course disappointed. However, I still say you had a great season, all considered. With that being said, Wiz players have a great summer and lets do the damn thing again next year!

Posted by: TruBluWizFan | May 4, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Deshawn Stevenson!
Was that you I saw at Soulja Boy's concert last night????
Doing the superman?????
Next time you wanna take a swing at somebody on the down low! Make sure your feet are planted, and your feet and shoulders are square with your target. Because if not, your punches, just like your jumper will be a little off! Jerry Sloan relly misses you!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stupidest Player in the NBA | May 4, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Your turn Brendan!
You just suck!!!!
Mike Tyson said you do a great impression!
Maybe that is your true calling! Impersonations.
Because you really are trying to impersonate a NBA center! I bet Dean Smith is ashamed!!!!!!! Michael, Vince, Antwan, James, Phil, and the other Tar Heel Alumni need to smack you upside that big bald head of yours!!!! The next you are going to the basket at full speed and are at the top of your flight, someone needs to push you in the back and hope you land safely!!!! I guess you didn't wanna be on a poster!!! Push someone like that in the regular season and I bet you someone will be glad to be suspended a few games and fined for knocking your block off! Hey you do look like one of those rock em sock em robots!!!!! Just go fishing!!!! Just go fishing!!!!!!

Posted by: Stupidest Player in the NBA | May 4, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

One last thing before I prepare for the second round of the playoffs! Mr. Sonaglia!
I am so glad that you practice the fine art of boxing an opponent out! I thought the fundamentals of rebounding were gone because of all the athletic jumpers who use their pure athleticism to rebound. But you have proved that their are NBA players who still use the fine art of boxing out!!! But, Mr. Sonaglia you don't box a man out while he is in the air attempting a game winning shot, that's when you are suppose to be playing defense!
Not only were you suspended for your little chin check, but because the refs didn't call you for a foul on that ridiculous play. In all my years of basketball, have I seen anyone box a man out while in the air attempting a shot not be called for a foul, and I thought I was the stupidest player in the NBA. I think I will make a comeback because some of the Wizards players make me believe their are gonna be a few roster spots available in the 2008-2009 season. So Deshawn, Brendan, Darius and Wizard fans my trash talking, cheap shot, days are over! I have to prepare for Boston or Atlanta!! Antwan and Caron I am proud of you, next time make your boys play ball and quit all that talking because it backfired! You had enogh talent to beat the Cavs but you didn't use those talents! Just play ball that's all!!! And Gilbert just opt out baby!!! Opt out!! Maybe you can get some cash and a ring!!!! You can come take Delonte's spot And play with a truly overrated basketball player!!!!!! Just go fishing!! Just go fishing!!! Round 2 baby!!!!Round 2!! Hurry up Hawks and Celtics let's get it on, Baby!

Posted by: Stupidest Player in the NBA | May 4, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Whats all this talk about what if Gilbert was healthy. Wasn't he healthy in 06 when the Cavs beat them in 6. Excuses are flying all around D.C.

Posted by: Cavs win again | May 4, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"But, Mr. Sonaglia you don't box a man out while he is in the air attempting a game winning shot, that's when you are suppose to be playing defense!"

Wait, what? On that last play, Songaila got hit from behind by Z, and that was STILL more of an offensive foul than defensive by Lebron James...what are you talking about?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wizard fans and media are among the dumbest, most immature, and jealous fans I have ever encountered. You guys are a disgrace to the Wizards team, oh wait the team is a disgrace all by itself.

Your team and fans talked a lot of trash before the series, and once you lost one game, the excuses just come flowing out like water. "NBA cheats for LeBron" "We're not healthy" "LeBron is on HGH" "LeBron is not really 23" "The rims in Cleveland are rigged"

Please grow up you sad Wizard fans, and enjoy your summer, cuz the Verizon Center (at least the b-ball court) is CLOSED UNTIL OCTOBER!!!!

LOSERS!

Posted by: Tom | May 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

thank you cleveland fans, for winning with class.

Posted by: jrp | May 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was done!
And I apologize for the trash talking, because it is not at all a way you win with class. But I was so enraged with all the extracurricular activities that some of the Wizard players used as an excuse to get motivated I just couldn't resist. I had to talk about an average 2 guard calling someone overrated. An underachieving, journeyman center calling someone a crybaby. So now that I have gotten that off of my chest and realize that I have only sunk down to that level, I will bow out with class.
Wizards, I hope your summer is productive and pleasant! You played a really tough series and I hope your season next year is injury free! I pray that your owner's health improves and I wish you nothing but success next season. Goodbye I have to fly to Boston!!!!!!

Posted by: Stupidest palyer in the NBA | May 4, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

the real deal says that the stupid palyer in the NBA resides in Cleveland and his name is the Cavaliers. I would like to quote myself in this regard:

Lebron is a whiner and that's a one-liner

Posted by: the real deal | May 4, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

"thought I was done!
If you carefully look at the tape of the last shot in Game 5! Mr. Box'em out was next to Z slightly behind him but in front of Lebron and clearly turns his back and backs up to box Lebron out while he is in the air prior to him releasing the ball, practically undercutting him. But I guess you probably had your had over your face doing the Deshawn I can't feel my face thing while reviewing the tape!!!"

wow, are Cavs fans that delusional that they can't even see the truth? at no point in that play does songaila have his back to Lebron...seriously, how can you even be stupid enough to make that claim??

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 6:03 AM | Report abuse

Tom's an idiot. His team wins a tough series, and he comes on the other team's blogs and has to talk trash. Wow, talk about class. Of course we're going to discuss what happened...this team has shown it can beat the Cavs, but just couldn't get it done. We're exploring all explanations and discussing the team's future, which is what fans (real fans, not fair-weather) do. A lot of it was venting, which is understandable after a tough loss like that. What's really immature is coming into another team's blog, reading through all the posts, then posting a flame of the FANS of the team.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

"practically undercutting him" and that? you said so yourself...Songaila was in front of Lebron the WHOLE TIME. Even before Lebron started to drive...how is that undercutting? If anything, that's a charge. But I guess we should get used to Cavs fans not knowing what's going on on the court...I mean, anybody else can see Lebron traveling so much he may as well bring bring his luggage with him onto the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...Cleveland....Cleveland....aren't they the ones who could never get past Chicago in the playoffs?

Posted by: unseldsghost | May 5, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

All the best for gilbert and the team from Spain.

Of course , we are with Lakers , Gasol it's our NBa connection , but Wizards has a fantastic team

KIM,
htp://www.servifans.com

Posted by: KIM | May 5, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

minus gilbert plus or minus the square root of gilbert squared minus four times jamison times caron all divided by two times jamison equals lebron's cavs advancing. sad, but you can't dispute numbers.

Posted by: greg | May 5, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait until we get our blogs back from the functionally retarded Cavaliers fans. Then at least we can discuss the future of our team in peace.

Posted by: Kev | May 5, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Good blog entry dog, respect, respect.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe in trolling, but I would not be able to resist if LeBron does leave Cleveland.

If the Cavaliers don't make it back to the Finals this year, I would say the season is a failure because the team regressed from last season.

Pistons are representing the East this season, so Cavs fans should just spew hate toward Detroit. Continually bashing on the Wiz is like teabagging a dead person on Call Of Duty 4 online. It doesn't change the outcome, so just move on.

Posted by: greg | May 5, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Good blog, dog. Respect, respect.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | May 5, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

check this game out: http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=5883377

Posted by: PursDog | May 5, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Where are all the Crybaby t-shirts on EBay? Gotta have one.

Posted by: PowerBoater | May 5, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

If the wizards and thier fans wouldn't talk so much trash maybe you wouldn't get so many comments from CAVS fans on this blog. Talking trash and not being able to back it up makes you look stupid. Take a lesson from "King James"....let your actions speak for you not your mouth!!!

Posted by: Baller44 | May 5, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Baller44, Lebron James does not speak - he just gets someone else to do his dirty work - hello Jay Z and Damon Jones!!!!

He is not man enough to speak himself because he fears ruining his "media darling" reputation and endorsements. But he should have no fears....if he has to leave basketball, the acting world is waiting for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

when LeTravel win a championship, then i will give him some respect. until then, hes just a 6'9 player with some talent, nothin else. oh and he should change his number cause he doesnt deserve to wear # 23

Posted by: wizzz | May 6, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

thats sad cav fans think of lebron as KING JAMES....doesnt that make you his slave?? well i guess you need that in the city of cleveland cause theres nothing else good about the city.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

CAVs fans call him King James or Lebron but the way he played in the series the Wizards and their fans had to call him UNCLE!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse