D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Doc Walker

Five years ago, Rick "Doc" Walker was described thus in The Washington Post: "the former Redskins Hog...may be the hardest-working man in sports broadcasting, handling local radio and TV shows, and game analysis every weekend on big-time college football and basketball and the NFL."

And that was before Rick "Doc" Walker had his own radio show, which has introduced to the world Jay Cottrell, Ralph Wesley ("The Young Fella"), "The Word" from Al Galdi and Wednesday's with The Birdman, which a co-worker has called the most entertaining hour of sports-talk radio on local airwaves Yes, I listen to too much sports-talk radio.

Anyhow, Rick "Doc" Walker won a Rose Bowl with UCLA and a Super Bowl with the Redskins during a nine-year pro career that started in Cincinnati and ended in Washington. In addition to being a sports-talk radio host, motivational speaker, charity golf staple and in-person observer of every significant sporting event within a 100-mile radius, Rick "Doc" Walker does radio color commentary for NFL games on CBS-Westwood One, TV color commentary for ACC games on Jefferson Pilot Sports, and hosts "Doc Walker's Proview" on Comcast SportsyNet. He's also fond of using terms like "warlock," "barbarian," "savage," "beast" and "caveman" to describe professional athletes.

Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge Rick "Doc" Walker. Choose carefully, and offer explanation below.

Previously, in order of approval: Steve Buckhantz, Dave Johnson, Johnny Holliday, Charlie Slowes, Chick Hernandez, The Junkies, Mike Wise, Tony Kornheiser, George Michael, Steve Czaban, Dave Feldman, Brett Haber, John Riggins, Andy Pollin, Larry Michael.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 30, 2008; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Bearded Gilbert
Next: O's-Nats Rivalry Gets Serious

Comments

This man is not a journalist. He is a walking propogandist for the University of Maryland. Screw Doc Walker.

The more of these Dan does, the more I realize just how pathetic the local Sports Media is.

Posted by: FS | June 30, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I would rather pour hydrochloric acid into my ears than listen to one second of Doc Walker

Posted by: Brian | June 30, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen a 60/40 split like this since I was at JMU oggling the gender majority.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | June 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I approve of Carol Walker

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | June 30, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Five years ago, I would have disapproved. But over the past few years, Doc has really become entertaining. His show is really unique on the D.C. airwaves, and everyday I find myself laughing out loud about something he says. Approve.

Posted by: Doc forever | June 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

He also used to call Sean Taylor "The Tarantula" which i think is awesome.

He also acknowledges Ovechkin as more than a novelty but in fact "a baller" --> a high honor in Doc's esteem.

Approve.

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Disapprove.

You could easily replace Schlock Walker with ten -- at most -- MP3 files:

"Come strong to the mike."

"That was a manhood check."

"Burgundy-and-gold pride"

He gets SOME credit for being willing to call out the Skins on occasion. But he's just painfully dull and repetitive, and is among that (increasingly) large group of announcers who thinks that ONLY ex-athlete announcers should be listened to.

Posted by: TMU | June 30, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Two words: THE. BEST.

He tells it like it is, speaks with authority as a former player (and Champion), and keeps it funny.

Its unbelievable that he'd get less than 70%, haters...

Posted by: Truthsayer | June 30, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Approve.

Only because Doc Walker's Scoreboard in Herndon was my favorite restaurant growing up.

Best. Chicken Fingers. Ever.

Posted by: Matt C | June 30, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Doc has good and bad moments. He CAN be a bit pompous, but he gives it straight.

Go 'Skins!

Approve with hesitation

Posted by: bornafan | June 30, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Doc doesn't add anything to the conversation. And he's littered with catch phrases. Disapprove.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | June 30, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

You left out "Viking".

Posted by: Dan Z. | June 30, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The bigger question is, who did Steinberg crop out of this photo. You know, the person who was actually IN focus.

Posted by: Dan Levy | June 30, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Warlock? Really? Withholdng my vote until I hear some examples.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | June 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Two words: THE WORSE.

I'd rather listen to political bantering on FOX than to listen to a second of the Doc Walker show.

Hopefully, this show will cease to exist once everyones favorite owner takes over SportsTalk 980.

Posted by: 761-091 | June 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Walker seems like one of those pseudo ex-player tough guys who once given a paycheck and a microphone, just talks tough ad nauseum to overcompensate for some perceived manhood (seen also Brian Mitchell). A big disapprove.

Posted by: He's not a Ph.D. or an M.D. | June 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Cyborg

Posted by: Hogie | June 30, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I like DoC Walker. He doesn't appear to have that Redskins ax to grind like B-Mitch and Smokin' Al Coken. I do however, like him better with his own show.

Posted by: sicwidit | June 30, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I love when Walker starts lecturing folks about what it takes to be a champion.

If you ranked the Skins' players during his years as a passenger on the championship bus, he was EASILY in the bottom ten on the roster.

Apparently, what it takes to be a champion is to be on a team with MANY players who are MUCH better than Doc Walker.

He's dreadful, just part of the local media Old Redskins Full Employment Program.

Posted by: TMU | June 30, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Doc is the man He and John Thompson are what makes listening to 980 bearable

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 30, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Painful, lazy sports radio.

Disapprove.

Posted by: Stalk Much? | June 30, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget former restaurateur.

Everyone in the know knows that the Hooters in Fairfax used to be "Rick Walker's Scoreboard".

Posted by: Flizzo | June 30, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I love when Walker starts lecturing folks about what it takes to be a champion.

Posted by: TMU | June 30, 2008 1:14 PM

I couldn't agree more. It's funny. When you think of all of the great Redskins TE's from the Super Bowl era, you think of Clint Didier or Don Warren. Most people don't even remember Walker being on the Redskins teams of the 80's.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I went to Doc Walkers restaurant in Fairfax. I ordered the ribs. They sucked. Thumbs down...

Posted by: Chico | June 30, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying reading the comments on these polls. What I've deduced so far:

- If the media member has any connection to DC United, very high numbers.
- If the media member criticizes soccer or DC United, very low numbers.
- If the media member criticizes the Redskins regularly, lukewarm numbers.
- If the media member is good enough to get national gigs, lukewarm numbers.
- If the media member is Larry Michaels, fire up the blowtorch and let's riot.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

That's some poor analysis.

Go check out these polls histories. Only Dan Snyder and Larry Michaels are negative, while Pollin is sitting on the fence at 50/50.

EVERYONE else has at least a 70% approval rating. Including the extinct dinosaur, George Michael.

If your soccer theory was right, Kornheiser and GM would be in the Dan Snyder territory.

Posted by: Kim | June 30, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Rickdoc tries to hard to make sure we all know he's just one of the "boyz from the 'hood." Everybody has some sort of nickname he dreamed up and blah, blah, blah and so forth and so forth.

He's one of those sportscasters -- and there are a LOT of them out there -- who try to over-intellectualize (if that's a word) sports. It's just freaking sports, for crying out loud.

Rickdoc, like George Starke (and the Holding Company, as I remember) were two of the least important Hogs, but have exploited the group more than anybody.

FS is right, the state of local sports media is pretty sad.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | June 30, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Another 75% approval. Shocker!

Posted by: Stalk Much? | June 30, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WaPoLiveFan16: To which era of JMU's Gender Majority are you referring? I was there in H-burg from late '91 to mid '95 and the disparity was so excitingly one-sided that at times the split felt more like 85/15! LOVED THAT PLACE AT THAT TIME! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! I LOVE AMERICA!

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | June 30, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Approve b/c without him I'd be stuck listening to Dan Patrick in the mornings. I can't have that.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | June 30, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

DOC is a stone cold BALLLER

Posted by: J-Bonius | July 2, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Disapprove:

First, what makes matters worse about hearing Doc on the radio is the fact that management really thinks it's ok to let Doc speak his own language. Why is the general population crticized when some calls a person "boy" or "man" or other words used by Doc and Coach Thompson. Doc talks a good game about being cool...smoking cigars and knowing everything. However, the only reason why he's on the air in this market is that there's no other Redskins left in the area to talk about the team. Bring back Jess Atkinson!!! When I'm looking for sportstalk on the radio, I don't want to listen to Doc's producers talk about their opinions. Doc needs to lose the ego and clean-up or refine his language skills and start doing his homework.

Posted by: PeterSol Landover-MD | July 5, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

I find Walker to be pompous and overbearing. He tries to exploit his Redskins connection, but the guy was pretty much a back up. He is one of the problems with DC sportstalk radio, not one of the solutions.

Posted by: Jim | July 7, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I like Doc he isn't great but he does know his stuff. I would rather hear him or some buffoon from Fox Sports Radio at 9:00 in the morning. I do wonder if he is in trouble though with his producer being fired and I've noticed the last couple of weeks he has been stressing on his show that he will talk about other sports he won't allow his show to be Football only even though that is his sport.

Posted by: Skins Fan | July 13, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse