Morning Look: Bearded Gilbert

(Photo courtesy Eric Young)

I always sort of figured that news of Gilbert's next destination, if not broken on his blog, will be broken by some random Internet type who runs into Zero holding court in an Filipino sandwich shop, or playing shuffleboard in Miami, or sitting by himself in a Tysons Corner P.F. Chang's.

Well, my prediction came close on Thursday night. Longtime Bog reader Eric Young was wandering out of the Tysons P.F. Chang's, when he saw a man he believed to be former Redskin and WaPo.com contributor Ken Harvey sitting with a large group. Eric was getting ready to tell his girlfriend, Karin, about this D.C. sports celebrity sighting when he noticed something else:

This tall, bearded guy sitting in a booth by the door, surrounded by plates, all by himself. No one was even looking at him or taking notice. As I went by, something in me clicked and I realized: it was Gilbert! It being draft night, I figured he was probably at home playing Halo between picks 18 and 47, or off doing some other completely unrelated, random activity like learning how to ride a unicycle. But, no, there he was.

Whole Foods, P.F. Chang's and the Cheesecake Factory: Gilbert's sources of sustenance and future sponsorship deals. Eric, it goes without saying, did what any of you would do; approach Zero, get the handshake, make small talk, ask the most important athlete in D.C. whether he plans on staying here for the foreseeable future once free agency begins, etc. ("He sheepishly smiled and shrugged his shoulders," Eric reported, which, frankly, is not the response I'd be looking for.) As for Eric, he seems to have blacked out during the experience, although luckily Karin was there to capture the image of bearded Gil.

"I don't remember what exactly I said," Eric wrote, "but it was some combination of:

* I'm your biggest fan (original);
* I thought about MySpace'ing you (seriously, what?); and, the kicker,
* I've got your shoes (I hate myself)."

All in all, a great story, a great e-mail and a great beard that could rival Baron Davis's with enough patience and care. Also, I look forward to some Filipino sandwich shop correspondent breaking the next bit of Gilbert contract news. Or at least telling us that he's sporting a ponytail and a Fu Man Chu.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 30, 2008; 10:31 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Look , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ben Olsen: Heart of a Lion
Next: D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Doc Walker

Comments

Gil should keep growing that thing until the next time he drops 50 in a game.

Any word on how the Gooden-Stevenson contest is going? Or did I miss something there?

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | June 30, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Gil needs to go back to the fro he had at Arizona. Bring back his youth

Posted by: JDP | June 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm Filipino and I've never heard of a Filipino Sandwich shop before.

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | June 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Are all Bog readers that awkward when meeting Bog subjects?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Aforementioned Eric | June 30, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Dan you were probably thinking of Vietnamese sandwich shops in California. If you find one around here, tell us about it!

Posted by: rgz | June 30, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Guilty as charged. Never blog late at night. My fault. And I've never had a Vietnamese sandwich, either, but I've heard great things.

So GDA, what woulda been an appropriate type of Filipino restaurant to mention? Are there Filipino funnel cakes?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 30, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Great sighting!

Hey, here's my sighting: I see Nick Young as a fashionista on SI's webpage -- as ab example of hip and outrageous NBA draft wadrobe choices.

I think Nick Young is STYLIN' in these threads: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1141192/14/14/index.htm

Posted by: Nancy | June 30, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"In my defense, I'm usually that awkward and misanthropic, regardless of whom I'm meeting."

Posted by: Nancy | June 30, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Dude... where is this filipino sandwich shop?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Dan, Manial Cafe in Springfield is a good Filipino restaurant but filipino's don't eat bread we eat pandesal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandesal

I've never heard of a Filipino
Funnel Cake but I know what I'm going to add to the menu for this year's tailgate

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | June 30, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I actually saw Gilbert a few weeks ago at Disney World in Orlando. I was with my girlfriend and he was with a gorgeous lady and two kids. He had the ratty beard at that time also. I didn't approach him because I figured he wouldn't family time at the Magical Kingdom interrupted by some yahoo with a digital camera.

Posted by: Timmmay | June 30, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Eric has the proof that he saw Gilbert Thursday night. Somebody else said that he was at the Lion King's play @ the Kennedy Center with his 2 kids.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Eric Young, are you a graduate of Robert Frost?

Posted by: little river turnpike | June 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"LOL, Eric. Thanks again for letting us know about Gil and, um, warning us about yourself! ;)"

Ha! I've probably scared him off P.F. Chang's for good. :)

"I didn't approach him because I figured he wouldn't want (sic) family time at the Magic Kingdom interrupted by some yahoo with a digital camera."

Again, he was by himself. And, it was with my crappy camera phone. I wouldn't've bothered him if I'd had a chance to stop and think, but I just reacted.

"Somebody else said that he was at the Lion King's play @ the Kennedy Center with his 2 kids."

Admittedly, we were there kinda late so he could've gone to an early show.

"Eric Young, are you a graduate of Robert Frost?"

Indeed.

Posted by: Eric | June 30, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, we were there kinda late so he could've gone to an early show.

No Eric,

That Lion King show started around 7:40 and ran for 2hrs almost 3hrs.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Gil's friends with the manager/owner of that place. It's been 100 degree's outside this week, I wonder why he's sporting a beard! It makes him look older too!

Posted by: K.B | July 1, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

"No Eric,

That Lion King show started around 7:40 and ran for 2hrs almost 3hrs."

Okay, my bad?

Posted by: Eric | July 1, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I went much smoother when I saw Doug Overton at Landover Mall 12 years ago.

Posted by: StetSports.com | July 2, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Zero, that Chang skrimps is off the grid, man. Stay clear, you hear?

Posted by: CP | July 6, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse