Caron at T.G.I. Friday's

(Photo courtesy Danny Suk)

Some blogs have made their mark with pictures of famous professional athlete doing borderline inappropriate things with comely young ladies in social settings. This blog is in the process of trying to make its mark with pictures of famous professional athletes awkwardly posed with excited young men at large retail outlets.

Sound familiar? Yeah, I wrote those words yesterday, after posting a photo of John Park Williams and Clinton Portis at the Verizon Wireless store in Tysons. Two days before that, it was Eric Young and Gilbert Arenas at PF Chang's. And then--will wonders never cease--I received this tale from "Danny from Vienna," accompanied by the best photo of the series thus far. Someone tell me if these start to become photoshopped, but I really want this to be real. Oh, and e-mail me your best candid shots with D.C. sports icons, please.

Anyhow, Danny's story dates from late April, Game 4, Wizards vs. Cavs. Delonte West, you might remember, leveled the Wiz with a late-game dagger. I think any D.C. sports fan must have been feeling a bit down just then. Danny and his depressed friends sought refuge at the T.G.I. Friday's in Tysons, which offers a Sunday night happy hour. His full tale is after the jump; I can't possibly tell it better than he did. And I'm serious, keep sending these to me.

By Danny Suk

Right when we sat down, I see Caron Butler strolling towards the AMC movie theater with a couple of his boys (we sat in the open bar area). I yell out "Hey Caron!" He looked over and waved at our table before he made his way inside the theater to watch "Harold and Kumar 2." Actually, I don't know what movie he saw, but I'm guessing he had to watch something to cheer him up after such a devastating loss. What better than Harold and Kumar?

Anyways, I was upset that I didn't get to take a picture with him. So I decided right then and there to wait at T.G.I. Friday's until Caron comes out of the theater. I didn't care if that meant downing 10 Miller Lites and gaining eight pounds from eating chicken fingers while waiting for Caron's movie to end, I was determined to take a picture with him.

About two hours later (the rest of the mall was closed so it was pretty empty), I see Caron and his boys walk out of the AMC and head toward the exits on the other side from where we were sitting. After wiping honey mustard sauce off my face and trying to gain my balance, I sprint across the food court yelling "Caron! Hey Caron!" I think he was weirded out and a bit frightened from seeing this drunk Asian boy running towards him. Luckily, he stops and waits. Our conversation (from what I recall) went like this:

Me: "Do you mind if I take a picture with you?"

Caron (utterly frightened at this point): "Uhh, sure."

Me (to no one in particular while posing): "Tough Juice! My favorite player!"

Caron: ...........

After taking the picture:

Me: "Make sure you guys get a win in Cleveland and come back to D.C. for Game 6!"

Caron (chuckling to himself): "Yeah."

Even after such a bad loss, he took the time time to take a picture with me. Nice guy. Of course, I had to ruin the picture by looking as Asian as possible with my peace sign.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 3, 2008; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Why Covering Golf Rules (Nice Cheese)
Next: A Conversation With Stuart Scott

Comments

Pretty classic. Best story of the series so far, even without the self defamation.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 3, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Only in America.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | July 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"Some blogs have made their mark with pictures of famous professional athlete doing borderline inappropriate things with comely young ladies in social settings."

The Dirty?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 3, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Caron is such an undercover fashionista.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | July 3, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Go Danny! I can attest to the fact that this picture is not photoshopped. This is definitely something Danny would do. i can see him now sprinting across tysons to take a fobby shot with some superstar.

Posted by: crazylady | July 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Danny needs to be the token asian on Saturday Night Live!!! He is hilarious!

Posted by: Bajee | July 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Robert DeNiro would be so proud

Posted by: Rashad | July 3, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I was much relieved to read this story. The headline made it sounds like Caron was eating at T.G.I. Friday's. Thank god that wasn't the case.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 3, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

That was funny! Your a real go getta Danny:)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 3, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

LOL This is classic Danny. Def not photoshopped.

Thanks for sharing your glorious moment with us.

Go Wizards!!

Posted by: hj | July 3, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

...And the best photo award goes to (drum-roll)...Ironically, the drunk guy! Were you sooo drunk that Caron caught a "contact" off of your drunkenness, to the point where he walked away from you tipsy? Or maybe that's just how awkward it all felt to him LMAO...I loved how you assumed which movie he and his buddies went to go see.

Dude, that peace sign is sooo freakin' cheeeeessssy!

Posted by: Bridge | July 3, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Snyder does not approve of Danny Suk.

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | July 3, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

i love danny oppa!

Posted by: ememkay | July 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

by the way...that sort of peace sign is not accepted overseas. HAHAHAHA

Posted by: Anonymous | July 3, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

lemme know when he shows up at MORTINE'S

Posted by: thigh master | July 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

you mean MORTON'S?

And who the hell is Snyder? Dan Snyder? Owner of Redskins?

What the hell does football have anything to do with this post?

Funny story. Keep it up.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the Wiz won game 6 just because this guy asked Caron to do so. Never underestimate the influential power of a drunk Asian.

Posted by: SoFlowin | July 3, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Danny is hilarious! Great post. I'm sure Caron was mesmerized by Danny's unashamed dorkiness.

Posted by: greentree | July 3, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

hilarious story! awesome picture... the peace sign is the best part.

Posted by: lilsis | July 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

LOOOOOOOOO-SER...but a likeable loser.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

What you don't see is that Danny's other hand is on TOugh Juice's ass. I can't believe you submitted your picture danny oppa.

Posted by: Mike K | July 10, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse