Fred Smoot Hangs Out With Gilbert

Gilbert hangs with Fred Smoot, goes to World Team Tennis matches to hang with Mark Ein. (By Lawrence Jackson - AP)

So it turns out that Fred Smoot, Gilbert Arenas, Clinton Portis and Shawn Springs all live in the same Great Falls neighborhood. That's what Smoot told the Junkies yesterday morning, anyhow. Must make for some lively block parties, at the very least.

"Well, you know, Gilbert's one of them guys, he'll just stop by your house, see what you're doing," Smoot said.

Hmmm. Gilbert just stops by Fred Smoot's house to see what he's doing? Interesting. I would have guessed the universe would implode if Gilbert spent an afternoon hanging out in Fred Smoot's mansion, but I guess not.

"I actually need to stop to stop by his house," Smoot continued, "because I rode by his house not too long ago and I think he put an oasis in his backyard, he's got his pool and his waterfall back there....I seen a piece of mountain in his backyard the last time I passed through there. So when they finish carving into that mountain, I can go back there and see what he got going."

Right. A mountain. Oh, did I mention that Chris Knoche was on ESPN980's Sports Reporters on Wednesday, and he said that he heard from a kid on the work crew that Gilbert's putting three bull sharks in a massive aquarium that's part of his new million-dollar outdoor pool complex, which, like Smoot said, features a waterfall, as well as a grotto? And before you say, "it doesn't really cost $1 million," I talked to another NFL player in recent days who was telling me about his $700,000 pool project.

More highlights from Smoot's appearance on on yesterday's show:

On his energy bar: "It's all organic. I made this bar mostly out of honey, and it don't have a lot of preservatives or calories in it, that's what i tried to cut out of it."

On his social life: "I settled down man. See, c'mon, Fred Smoot, when you first met me I was about 20 years old. C'mon, now I'm 28, 29. C'mon. As time goes on we get older, we make better decisions."

On his girlfriend's race: "She's from South Carolina, country girl....Actually she's a tweener, she's what I call a tweener, play as a linebacker and a D end. You know, her mom's white, her dad's black."

On her profession: "She's a lawyer. You know, I had to get somebody who could actually equal my talking. You know, that was one thing I had to do."

On whether he could discuss any topic: "Yeah, point blank, I think I could."

Ok, on gas prices, then: "I could talk about it, man. It's awful, man. I could tell you like this man: today it take a hundred dollars for me to get from Virginia to Washington, D.C. I got to start commuting."

On Arenas's new deal: "He's worth every dollar, man. I think over the years he's proved to be one of the best point guards by far in the league. And more than a point guard: he's a scorer, he can play off the ball, he can play defense, and I think the Wizards did keep their guys together. If you want to make a run, you've got to keep your guys together."

On his high school career: "I had a play where the other team was kicking a field goal and I went to block it. Instead of blocking it, I caught the field goal and ran the field goal 90 yards. Listen to me, I had to win money from Gregg Williams by going to get the high school film and showing him this play. He didn't believe it. He didn't believe I actually caught the ball after the field goal kicker kicked it, I ran past him, caught the ball and ran 90 yards."

On his future on reality television: "Hey man, I need to be working on that. You know, I had actually met with Comcast not too long ago talking about some projects, and hopefully we can get one on the way. You know, I need to get my own show, though. I need to go around D.C. and just do regular jobs."

On his personality: "Well, you know, I like to be more than a football player. I think with athletes, a lot of people don't get to meet the real us....Me, I'm gonna be Fred Smoot 365 days a year."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 25, 2008; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin Seems Confused
Next: This Week's Top 10 WaPo Sports Stories: Skins Rule

Comments

Freakin' laser beams will easily add another $300k.

Posted by: athea | July 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Bull Sharks?!?

We're talking Bull Sharks?!?

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

i always thought a reality show with Gil and CP would be great... throw in Smoot and we are talking multiple Emmys.

I dont know if we can win anything, but damn i love out squads.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Fred Smoot and Gilbert are the 2 main reasons why we have a bog.

Well done.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | July 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Rob & Big meet Gil & Smoot.

Posted by: JDP | July 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

dan, you just keep being dan 365 days a year.

Posted by: dude | July 25, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

That was, point blank, an outstanding post.

Posted by: Choowee | July 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Smoot, bringing the LOLZ every time.

Also, I actually LOL'd at athea's comment. Great job.

Posted by: Ben | July 25, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Mouth from the south, baby. Smoot never gets old...

Posted by: Mike | July 25, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Smoot Smack & Agent Zero with guest stars, the Bull Sharks

Posted by: Reality Show | July 25, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Just Danny being Danny.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | July 26, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

lol he said gilbert plays defense

Posted by: bruceO | July 27, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

lol he said gilbert plays defense

Posted by: bruceO | July 27, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

smoot and gil live near each other in great falls, cp is in mclean right by the 495 exit for gtown pike

regardless of location, they need to just move into one mega mansion in mclean and get the film crew rollin

Posted by: ak | July 28, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert's not the first NBA player to put a shark in his backyard. I recall Christian Laettner was fascinated with sharks and had a 600 gallon tank in his backyard full of seawater where he kept a very large shark....

Posted by: Los | July 28, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Me, I'm gonna be wrongdog only, like, 285 days a year. But I'm pretty lazy...

Posted by: WrongDog | July 28, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Who will maintain this shark pool while he's on the road? Where is he going to get them from, Tahiti? He did swim with them there.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert's baby has a egg shape head...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We need to rename Fedex field to Fred'ex Field

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | July 29, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope w/ this kind of resource, Gil will do some charity work. He has kids too, and there're kids just like his in this world living way below the poverty line, suffering senselessly.

Posted by: W | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Your An Idiot to spend that much money on A swimming Pool.

Posted by: NANA | July 30, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Must be nice to make those 9,10,11 figures incomes. I would take it in a heart beat. Although I am huge basketball fan the sports that are more dangerous to players deserve the NBA incomes. Yes they are talented I am not arguing that point but have them turn around and begin receive the income as a hockey player or the average baseball player and then they might take in the value of each dollar they make. At these levels nobody is worth that much for playing a sport and too many times they take it for granted. I am with you folks though, dont hate the player hate the way the pay the game !!!!

Posted by: Joe D | July 30, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

bullsharks!! damn i thought peopel arent allowed to have those.

Posted by: chris | July 31, 2008 3:18 AM | Report abuse

You only live once, gilbert doing what he wants to do...don't hate ,,,

Posted by: sherri | July 31, 2008 3:49 AM | Report abuse

hey,a man's got to do what a man's got to do. we all need to do our own thing separately and Agent Zero has this great dream of having this grand swimming pool. and what a mean pool he's got, its just great. he didn't steal it from nobody. and i think with his demeanor and being friendly and all, i feel he deserves it.

Posted by: geewizzz | July 31, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That's also Jack Pace from winwinsportsbetting in the background...I think?

Posted by: Nathan | July 31, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Gil's about to be making as much money as Jack Pace.

Posted by: Chris Brown | July 31, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

they dont all live in the same neighborhood, gilbert and smoot live within a few minutes of each other in great falls, and portis and springs live a couple minutes from each other in mclean about 20 minutes from great falls. portis and gilbert live on the same street though just opposite ends.

Posted by: BOOYA | August 8, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse