Fred Smoot's New Nickname

Me: You got anything to replace Johan Whatever-It-Was last year?

Fred Smoot: Yeah, my name now is "Brother O'Dell, Pass the Biscuits, Pappy O'Daniels." That's my whole name.

Me: Can you...can you pronounce it again?

Fred Smoot [slowly]: Bro-ther O'Dell, Passsss the Bis-cuits, Pap-py O'Dan-iels.

Me: Pappy what?

Fred Smoot [losing patience]: O'DANIELS.

Me: How you spell that?

Fred Smoot [talking to a third-grader]: O-Daniels.

Me: O'Daniels? What's that mean?

Fred Smoot: "That's my name, man. That's just my name."

This would appear to be a reference to the Coen Brothers's "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" which, if I were running a Fred Smoot related sports book, would have been about 932nd on my list of "movies likely to create Fred Smoot's newest nickname." Also, I've never seen the movie, so I have absolutely no idea why a talkative NFL cornerback would wish to call himself this. But there it is. Will have to wait until tomorrow to find out Carlos Rogers's response, and if this makes sense to any of you, have at it.

(PS, when Smoot was calling himself Johan Cavalli last year, why did no one ever tell me that Johan Cavalli was a French footballer?)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 21, 2008; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Kelli Johnson
Next: Happy Birthday to Mike Sellers

Comments

::dropping into negative numbers::

Posted by: The Collective Bog IQ | July 21, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
You haven't Seen O'Brother Where Art Thou??

For shame.

Posted by: Eric G | July 21, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, its a great movie, one of Clooneys best

Posted by: alex35332. | July 21, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

{discussing the effective of Homer Stokes' campaign to unseat Governor Pappy O'Daniels)

Pappy's Staff: The reason he's pullin' our pants down.
Pappy's Staff: Gonna paddle a little behind.
Pappy's Staff: Ain't gonna paddle it - gonna kick it, real hard.
Pappy's Staff: No, I believe he's gonna paddle it.
Pappy's Staff: I don't believe that's a proper characterization.
Pappy's Staff: Well, that's how I'd characterize it.
Pappy's Staff: I believe it's more of a kickin' sitcheyation.

Posted by: dcsween | July 21, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope he doesn't derive his next nickname from "Fargo". I can't take those accents, and it would probably end up being something like Lutefiske 'Wood Chipper' Svenson Ya Sure Ya Betcha.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

According to this site Pappy O'Daniel was the governor of Texas some time back. Confirmed by Wikipedia

The first of the two sites also refers to the "Pass the Biscuits Pappy" nickname, but no backstory.

Posted by: Rage | July 21, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

So links don't work apparently.

First site (search for Pappy): http://www.newamerica.net/publications/articles/2002/world_history_and_the_texan_mind_of_george_w_bush

Second site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_O%27Daniel

Posted by: Rage | July 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Pappy" Lee O'Daniel was the leader of a pre-war Western swing band called the Light Crust Doughboys. The name of the band came from Light Crust flour, the sponsor of their radio show. O'Daniel leveraged his notoriety to launch a successful campaign for governor of Texas. Biscuit biz banter from the radio show morphed into a "Pass the biscuits, Pappy" campaign slogan. He become one in a very long line of inept and corrupt Texas governors. Despite this, O'Daniel remained popular and went on to face Lyndon Johnson in a 1941 special election for Senate. Johnson failed to steal as many votes as his opponent and lost. LBJ never repeated that mistake.

Meanwhile, most of the band regrouped behind Bob Wills to become the legendary Texas Playboys.

The true story is much more interesting than the movie. Really.

Posted by: Truth is stranger than fiction | July 21, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for my Smoot Smack bar Stein

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | July 21, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I heard there was some graphic, shall we say, nautical lovemaking in "Oh Brother...", hence Smoot's affinity for the flick. But I could be wrong...

Posted by: Stalk Much? | July 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I guess "Nathan Arizona" sounded a little too much like "Ron Mexico".

Posted by: EdTheRed | July 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
You haven't Seen O'Brother Where Art Thou??

For shame.

Posted by: Eric G | July 21, 2008 1:54 PM

Seconded.

Check out that movie, Dan. Hi-larious.

Smoot is the Redskins new "paterfamilias."

Posted by: Colin | July 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we can start calling Agent Steinz "Dapper Dan"?

Posted by: EdTheRed | July 21, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse