Morning Look: Portis in Tysons

(Courtesy John Park Williams.)

Some blogs have made their mark with pictures of famous professional athlete doing borderline inappropriate things with comely young ladies in social settings. This blog is in the process of trying to make its mark with pictures of famous professional athletes awkwardly posed with excited young men at large retail outlets.

Yes, that's right, just two days after beginning the morning with Gilbert Arenas and Fan at P.F. Chang's, it's now time to debut a month-old photo of Clinton Portis and Fan at Tysons Corner. The fan in this case, 22-year old John Park Williams of Vienna, was actually inspired by the Gilbert tale to share his own brush with D.C. sports blogging greatness. John writes:

I am at the Verizon Wireless store in Tysons Corner, and I see Clinton Portis asking an employee questions. In a store with about 25 people in it, I think I was the only one who recognized him. I walk over and ask for a picture, which the confused store clerk obliges to take (with the phone I was about to get rid of).

As I walk away, a gorgeous blonde girl (basically the prettiest girl I have ever spoken to in my life) comes out of nowhere and asks me "Who is that?"

From there the dialog between John and the blond goes fast and furious. "That's Clinton Portis," John said. "Who's that?" the blond asked. "He plays for the Redskins," John said. "Is he good?" the blond asked. "He's the best," John said.
That was all she needed to hear. She went over to him and in a ridiculously ditzy voice goes, "Oh my God! You're my favorite player. Can I get a picture?" So the pretty girl and Portis pose for a photograph identical to mine except for he put his arm around her.

Portis was extremely pleasant and polite during the entire thing. After the photo with the girl, he went back to trying to decide what phone he wanted. A good 25 minutes later, he left the store in a Mercedes Benz that had no distinguishing features other than the Florida tags.

Basically, the point of the story is that Clinton Portis buys his own phones, drives a rather unremarkable car (for Tysons, anyway), is very approachable, and treats his fans the same regardless of who they are, be it the 22-year old loser with kabob stains over his shirt or the most beautiful girl in the world.

Well, maybe there are two points to this story. The one listed above, and also the point that if you ever see a famous D.C.-based professional athlete in a major American retail location, the absolute best course of action is definitely to e-mail me the resulting photo.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 2, 2008; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Look , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Man Fails to Set World Treadmill Record
Next: D.C.'s Top Six Beloved Athletes

Comments

Um, while I'm sure we are all TOTALLY excited to see the photo of John, where is the photo of the woman in this story?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

CP is the man!
#26 FTW
HTTR!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | July 2, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

We need Forsythe Mini-blogs. It's time for this tree to grow some branches.

Posted by: More Forsythe | July 2, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed he doesn't wear his Dr. Do Itch Big outfit to the mall.

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | July 2, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Here's how the story should've gone:

John lies about Portis' identity and says the athlete is Arenas, who wants to be approached by fans to stay in Washington. John could've told the lady "if you call him Mr. Arenas and tell him to re-sign with Washington, he'll be extra nice and take a picture with you." That would've been great, but John had to be honest and truthful.

Replace Arenas with any famous area athlete/entertainer along with an instruction of what to say to the celebrity and it still would've worked. It's kind of like DC Celebrity Mad Libs.

Posted by: Random Character | July 2, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

For me, the biggest takeaway is that AT&T Wireless phones (which is what was used for me and Gilbert) take terrible pictures compared to Verizon.

I think I just found you a new sponsor, Dan.

Posted by: Eric | July 2, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Show us the blonde, JP...

There are murmurings here in Blacksburg that you should blog LA in lieu of Gilbert.

Posted by: Wilson | July 2, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Man that guy on the left sure is cool. I really wish I could hang out with him.

Posted by: Adam Corolla | July 2, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet that guy on the left gets all the ladies.

Posted by: Akon | July 2, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Okay, let's go over the ground rules. You can't leave first until you chug a beer. Any man scoring has to chug a beer. You have to chug a beer at the top of all odd-numbered innings. Oh, and the fourth inning is the beer inning.

Posted by: Umpire | July 2, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we know how to play softball!

Posted by: Chief Wiggum | July 2, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I liked Clinton Portis in Denver, and parting with him was palpable because we got Champ Bailey back. In any case, I like the fact that Portis treats all his fans the same, I guess that's why he's a favorite for even we Broncos fans despite the fact he's been gone for several years.

Posted by: Brad James | July 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse