Raving About Rove

Karl Rove's plan to leave the White House has awakened our readers and a number of the city's political reporters on an otherwise sleepy August news day. His announcement came in the Wall Street Journal this morning and has generated a surge (if I may that use that word in this context) of comments, many of them expressing jubilation at the departure of one they see as evil, many more stating a firm conviction that Rove's statement to the Journal that "I've got to do this for the sake of my family" is a cover story at best and that the real reason has to be to defend himself from some yet unspecified scandal or legal hassle.

A few cite his extraordinary capabilities as a genius political operative. In a challenge to those of us who defend the appearance of comments on news stories, too many entries in this string violate our obscenity standards and have been removed. No question, Rove is a lightning rod for all that is good or bad about the Bush administration; by far the majority of those we have heard from this morning seem happy to see him go. Some suggest that he will be valuable to other conservative political interests down the road.

meldupree was the first out of the box to suggest there's more to the story in writing, "What scandal is about to blow up that hastens Herr Rove sudden exit? This ought to be good!"

Va_Lady2007 added that "Doubtless Mr. Rove, like many of his subordinate cronies, believes that by no longer being paid by the Administration, he will no longer be criminally liable for his felonious misdeeds. Mr. Rove thinks incorrectly. The scandal that MUST be about to blow up should be a good one..."

But nicekid posits that "If Rove is leaving because of any impending revelations of criminal activity, he doesn't have to worry about jail because of course Bush will pardon him..."

proballdc said that "...The Democrats must be getting close to revealing something dastardly criminal if this man 'chooses' to leave the white house. Keep digging. Just like all of us, if he has done a crime, he must do the time."

paulnolan97 characterized it as "...Rasputin finally moving on. Has he done enough damage to this president? His advice ensured that a majority would despise Bush's policies for incompetence and partisanship."

But DocWright asked, "... what if there really is a problem in his family that he needs to take care of?? The Bush administration is at an end. The left will rant and rave about it for years but ... it is for all practical purposes over. Why not go home and take care of your family?"

truthperiod1 said, "...As a Conservative, I see Rove as the worst thing that happened to the Republican Party in decades. The 'architect' built his house on sand, and it came crashing down. When he started to believe the propaganda about how great he was, he was finsihed..."

lwelsch1 summarized it this way: "A rat leaving a sinking ship."

nychap44 defends Rove and chides his detractors, writing, "For six years you tried to push Rove out or put him in jail. You failed each and every time. He left his position on his own terms and time table. He wins, you lose."

And pspurio said that Rove's "legacy will be that He exploited the events of 9/11 to win a second term for Bush. Sulfuric Acid will not wash the Blood of His Hands..."

garryh said, "It is clear to me that Rove is not leaving for personal reasons. It is damage control--he really cannot do any more damage to the US in the time left with a Democratic Congress, so what's the point in staying..."

But ctmont, in clear recognition of the political wonderworker many think Rove is, said "rove is simply moving to another office where he will work for the Republican party and try to bring a corpse back to life. My greatest fear is that he may well succeed. This is an evil genius that we're dealing with. I hope the Democrats will be on their toes this time."

BlueTwo1 said that "...Karl is left with little damage left to do. He's bored. So he is booking. Too bad there is no hot tar and no chicken feathers with which to celebrate."

And we'll give the last word to Bill_In_DC, who asked, "Does this mean he'll lose his health insurance?"

All comments on the Rove article are here.

By Doug Feaver  |  August 13, 2007; 9:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cutting-Edge Tax Proposal
Next: Iraq and Petraeus

Comments

there was something good about Rove? talk about spin!!!
When i see Rove, the traitor, imprisoned for outing a CIA agent, then the word "good" will apply.
otherwise, unless you think divide and conquer is the "American" way. Rove and Good don't exist in the same sentence, much less the same universe.

Evil/Death incarnate,Voldemort, the synonyms are endless.

Posted by: Beleck3 | August 21, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Obviously criminals run to avoid detection, capture and punishment. On this note, I believe that it's time that "We The People"
vigorously and aggessively pursue Karl Rove
until his stealthy activities are put
before The Grand Jury!

Posted by: Dale Leisenring | August 16, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

His work with Bush is simply done. And Bush is done but for the quacking. Time to plan the strategies and get the teams in place to steal '08. That's the future.

Posted by: smchris | August 14, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

This is all a ploy to get Bush's numbers up because of Rove's unpopularity. They don't want him leaving the White House with such low nunbers. The puppeteer will still be pulling the strings, just not from inside the White House.

Posted by: jmic4k | August 14, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Guter Beitrag, danke

Posted by: Schmuckfee | August 14, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Karl Rove thanks for your arduous work and contributions in solving the vexations that plague our country but mostly for Pi## off the liberal Democrats.

Best Wishes in all you future endeavors.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 14, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Best Wishes in all you future endeavors.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 14, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Ding Dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch, the wicked witch, Ding Dong the wicked witch is DEAD!!!

He should be in jail. However, I'll take gone. Now that murdering creep president of ours needs to go too, the sooner the better and take that smirking shrine of corporate welfare, Cheney,with him.

Only 17 more months of these morons left.

Posted by: Jacquie | August 13, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Moonflower? writes
Mr. Truthseeker: This Republican administration has put the U.S.further into debt than any other prior administration. You have some nerve labeling the Democrats as the "tax and spend" party. War is indeed a great sacrifice, and one of the sacrifices should be that taxes go up to pay for the war. If Bush had said "We have to go to war and we will all have to sacrifice. Some of you will give the lives of your sons and daughters. Others will have to pay much higher taxes." - do you think people would have considered going to war? During WWII, taxes were sky high to pay for the war.
Bush has often said "In 80 years I suppose people will be debating whether or not I was a good president." Well, I've got news for Bush, he won't have to wait 80 years. As for Karl Rove, he needs to be in jail. I'd like to see Cheney, Rove, and Bush tried for war crimes and have to pay the U.S. their entire fortunes they made off of this war. If you don't think Cheney, Rove and Bush have made a fortune from this war, then you are the ignorant one.
They are indeed "the axis of evil".

Your economic analysis is pretty screwed up...but that's why you're in the wrong party.
Actually the debt to GNP ratio is a low as ever. This is occurring because the President along with the Republican Congress CUT TAXES and stimulated the economy and growth generating MORE monies to the government.JFK knew this, but Democrats today all flunk economics 101. Yes I expect to pay more in times of war and for our protection but I also expect our economy to keep going like it is...LOW UNEMPLOYMENT and HIGH GNP.
Truman had one of the lowest approval ratings as President, but is considered today by many as one of the best. I expect Bush to be in this category...in spite of the vacuous charges by ignorant Democrats and continuous propaganda by a dying liberal press.
I'd rather see the President criticized for his action in taking out terrorists than being accused of not connecting the dots and further emboldening and empowering the enemy by inaction, the path that's been followed till now. The weapons that these creeps are using can only become more compact and devastating, threatening us and our children.
I'm glad the President is doing the right thing rather than holding his finger high in the air to see which way the wind from the ignorant is blowing ...that's what leaders do.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Post-Traumatic syndrome:
What just happened? How could we have been so badly abused and lied to?
I agree completely with the first post, that said "Rove: 100, American people: 0"

Posted by: kp | August 13, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi ACTUALLY appointed William Jefferson AFTER he was found with 90,000 in marked bribe money in his frig, to Homeland Security. The Democrats are investigating , ad nauseum, the LEGAL hiring and firing practices of the president. THE DEMOCRATS ARE HYPOCRITES.
The Democrats are pissed because he's outsmarted them every time.
Rove has been in front of a Grand Jury five times in an attempt by Democrats to convict him on ANYTHING. This has got to make Leahy and Waxman pee in their Depends.
Democrats 0
Rove 100
Beat Wishes to Karl Rove , You"ve been a good civil servant.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if 41 had anything to do with this ... the recent family get-to with sarkozy at the "compund."

compound dubya

Posted by: seven20 | August 13, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

he's a dirty fat liar and he should think of something more original than being with my "family". now that he has a little time on his hands, he can vacation with the iraqi government, theres so much he could teach them. next dead eye dick,and crossing the border gonzo,should go.

Posted by: dee kluhlmann | August 13, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Karl retired so that he can spend more time w/ Jeff Gannon

Posted by: friedtoad | August 13, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

dKarl retired so that he can spend more time w/ Jeff Gannon

Posted by: friedtoad | August 13, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Moonflower - I misread your post and I apologize. I too am stuck in a part of the country where people are asleep or afraid or both... I'm frustrated beyond belief and saddened that we have had to endure this crap in our lifetime. Who would have thunk that we would be fighting the 1984 Orwellian version of "be afraid stay afraid be afraid"

Sorry for the misread. Keep on keeping on and if you get a chance to come to DC on either September 15 or September 29th we sure could use you. I think that there will be a huge showing but you know how the press is. They minimize or under state the number that march, i.e. in January there were over half a million not "tens of thousands"...

Peace out

Posted by: The American People are "Stick A Fork In Me - DONE!" | August 13, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dee kluhlmann | August 13, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Shocked! Shocked! OMG! The supreme head of the Republican National Committee is going to Cut-and-Run!
For all of the reasons stated by Mr. Rove to leave his job; family, writing his autobiography, a quieter life in Texas, etc, are equally valid for all of our troops baking in the deserts of Iraq.

Posted by: Paul Yee | August 13, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

How long before he gets his Medal of Freedom for doing such a heck of a good job dividing this country?

Posted by: Ray | August 13, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Someone brought up the point that Rove may have single-handedly destroyed the GOP.

Sweet!

Maybe he'll come out as a Democrat operative?

Oh, but who will keep Dick in line? Duck and cover, Iran!

Posted by: the real tony | August 13, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scott Laughrey,
Thanks for the comments. I'm stuck here in the heartland for the time being and I'm sick to death of the religious right. I live in the state that chose to "redefine science" last year. I think that the liberals here are finally finding their voice.
I like Noam Chomsky and Molly Ivins.

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Come on folks! Wake up! Rove and Bush are both finished in Washington. Together, they have been the most successful team in American history, at acheiving what "they" wanted to acheive. Bush can now go back to being the moron everybody knows he is, and Rove will no doubt soon go to work for his real bosses in the Middel East!

Posted by: P. Rainey | August 13, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

To "nameless" who wrote response to me.
I'm so sorry you have a son in Iraq. I'm sorry for all of the soldiers over there and I blame nothing on them. They are victims of the system. But with all due respect, why should I enlist so that your son could come home? I say bring them all home NOW. I've opposed this war from the get-go. I was lucky not be drafted to go to Viet Nam, but at that time women didn't do combat. I also opposed the Viet Nam war. I certainly understand you wanting your son home and it's wrong for him to do 3 tours. The military is indeed stretched too thin and desperately in need of enlistments. I suggest the Bush twins enlisting and every other young Republican who supports the war. Bush could go over there himself to finish his military duty that he abannoned during Viet Nam. I am not a hater, but I'm so tired of "the right" claiming that anyone who is opposed to the war isn't patriotic or we don't support our troops. I'm very patriotic. I volunteer in a literacy program to teach adults how to read. I have volunteered in Head Start day care centers. I've worked for Habitat for Humanity. When I see soldiers in uniform, I thank them for their sacrifice and I never tell them that I oppose the war. I don't want them to think I oppose them, because I don't. They are always so grateful that I take time to talk to them. I'm not a hater but I'm angry at Bush and his administration for doing so much damage to our (yes, your's and mine) country that we may never recover. What stunned me the most was that you did not see my comment to Imao as pure satire. It's a sad commentary when such outrageous comments are taken as truth.

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californianian | August 13, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Rove ran a couple sucessful campaigns and people say he is a wonder boy. If that is the case, ther would be a lot of wonder boys / girls. He is just lucky and not a genius.

Posted by: kcleung8947 | August 13, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Was the deal passage of FISA and we throw Karl out?

Posted by: J Taylor | August 13, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

moonflower --

Progressives like Noam Chomsky and Molly Ivins have been telling us about the American military war machine for years. What is really cool about Noam Chomsky is that he questions authority and doesn't want to accept the propaganda about what really happened on 9/11. The Bush illegal war in Iraq (masterminded by Karl Rove) was only possible if the people believed that 9/11 was the result of 19 hijackers and jet airplanes.

There are many really cool progressive Web sites that prove it was more than likely squib charges that brought down the WTC, and the use of holograms convinced many (but not us really cool progressives) that it was jet airplanes being flown into the building.

Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore won't accept that propaganda, and other really cool progressives like me and Sean Penn and Randi Rhodes are all onto the lies of the Bush regime.

Thank goodness there is the Internet, that allows for those on the left to bypass the corporate controlled media to find the truth. -Scott Laughrey

Posted by: Scott Laughrey | August 13, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

To "nameless" who wrote response to me.

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"A few cite his extraordinary capabilities as a genius political operative."

If he's so smart, how come you lost Congress?

-- question from reporter at Rove's resignation

Posted by: stewart | August 13, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I would personally like to thank Karl Rove for basically destroying the Republican Party. So much for that "Permanent" Republican majority - hahahahahahahaha. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: Jeff M. | August 13, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Imao wrote about "the Left": "...but please, one request: don't ever, EVER, use the phrase "..the American people"....if nothing else...it belies what should be obvious to everyone: there are very distinct divides in this country, at this time."
Well said Imao. Time for "those other Americans" (you know, the ones who didn't vote for Bush) to get with the program. If there are people in this country who do not agree with everything our "decider" has "decided" then I think they should be stripped of their rights. Every person who disagrees with this administration should be stripped of their right to fight for "freedom" in Iraq. Who knows what kind of propaganda they are trying to spread over there?! You are right to say that they shouldn't wrap themselves in the American flag. Everyone (you know who "everyone" is - the people who agree with you) knows that it is impossible to be patriotic if you vote to the left of the line. I'm sick and tired of "the left" being so negative and defeatist. They continue to imply that things are not going well in Iraq when it's clear that Dubya is the only one with the intellect to truly understand foreign policy "YeeHaw". I'm sick and tired of the Left not understanding that divide you talk about. What! Are they blind?! Clearly there is a line between torture (inhuman acts carried out by other countries) and those "special tactics" conducted by "our" country to keep us safe from tyranny and terrorists. It's so obvious that the truth is obvious to you!

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Moonflower: The reason dearie that the republicans are going to lose in 08 is because so many republicans (myself, my family and my friends) feel abandoned by what the Republican leadership (NOT) has done to this country. Quite simply they have:

DESTROYED it!

We are LESS safe. More vulnerable and wait

it gets BETTER

American sons and daughters are DYING in Iraq or coming home to a failing VA system that is going to deny deny deny them any care!

Yep YOU ARE RIGHT! Those "lefties" have to go... but in those "lefties" are the republican base you used to call brother/sister.

Hey I have an idea.... you enlist and then my son can come home from his third tour!

Brilliant!!

You have to be taught to hate and fear. It has to be drummed in your dear little ear. You have to be carefully taught!

Seems like Mr. Rove has taught the American people how to hate... God Bless him for it! (not)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If there is a Unified Field Theory of Republican Mischief, Rove is such a force. He is Donald Segretti writ large.

Posted by: daveb99 | August 13, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, he can't escape God's judgment.

Posted by: sourpuss | August 13, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Can they come up with a better excuse than "need to spend more time with the family?" I mean I suppose one of these days it has got to be true, but it's so overused you end up wondering anyhow.

Posted by: Alex | August 13, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"good" that rove has done?/???

ARE YOU CRAZY!?

You have been drinking the koolaid WAY to long... no more for you!

Rove is an evil evil man. Did you stop to think that maybe he urged Bush to stay away from the Gulf (where they are STILL suffering) for two weeks and that Cheney should STAY on vacation for the long as well.

Good?

nah

Just EVIL!

Posted by: Not my party anymore... Phoenix, AZ | August 13, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

My guess is the apostate liar thinks that he will avoid prosecution for his admitted actions in committing treason against America by outing an active CIA operative. He admitted as much to the grand jury, and has not yet been charged for his treason, but there is no statute of limitations on Treason or Murder, so he's probably worked out a pardon deal.

Posted by: WillSeattle | August 13, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Rasputin has left, but probably not for Siberia. Maybe to hatch an evil plot to delay the next presidential election indefinitely, for *national security* reasons?

Posted by: oldhonky | August 13, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see a little more written about the good things Karl Rove has done, during his six years in office...what he did during 9/11, to help reconstruct NY and the Pentagon, about the talks with No. Korea which saved us from Nuclear Attack, about the diplomacy with Pakistan which has allowed us to keep Al Qaeda at bay, about the revamping of the intelligence agencies and the ongoing border and immigration changes to provide security. I'd like to hear more about recognition of the positive efforts and accomplishments, rather than the partisan garbage focusing on the negative.

Posted by: bruzzones2000 | August 13, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Karl Rove's upcoming book on his participation in the Libby and Gonzales scandals..."IF I DID IT".

Posted by: A.Lincoln | August 13, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone in this thread has a clue about Rove's real intents. Rove is a person who never does anything without a plan. Moreover, he has a love for and a talent for multi-layered plans in which the real objective is achieved not as a direct result of the actions that are taken but as an inevitable and inescapable side-effect of those actions and often buried under several layers of cause and effect.

I am sure that Rove's stated reason of "family" issues is perfectly true but, as is always the case with Machiavellian minds like Rove's, it is also guaranteed to be far less than half of the truth.

After all, when has the world ever known a person with Rove's ambition and ruthless pursuit of success to suddenly wake up one morning and decide to "retire"? Democrats and Republicans alike would be well advised to keep a watchful eye on Mr. Rove, especially considering his newly acquired ability to return to working in the shadows and without the daily oversight of a free press and inquiring minds.

Posted by: DF in FL | August 13, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Rove's upcoming new book about his involvement in the Libby and Gonzales scandals....."IF I DID IT."

Posted by: A. Lincoln | August 13, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Truthseeker says: GO KARL

I guess Karl was listening.

Posted by: jojo | August 13, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I am happy to see other members of the angry, bitter left chime in with us really cool progressives and let the truth be told that Bush Lies and People Dies and that Karl Rove is the puppeteer while smirking Bush is the puppet. If not for Internet chat boards, the really cool progressives might not have a voice to compete with the jingoistic flag-waving of the corporate controlled media.

The angry, bitter left all know for a fact that Bush's war for oil in Iraq is illegal. By speaking out on Internet chat boards and using the façade of communist/socialist groups like A.N.S.W.E.R. and MoveOn.org, the really cool progressives are becoming a powerful force on the Internet chat boards.

The Internet also allows us really cool progressives to question authority. Really cool progressives like me and the Web Fairy question authority and have intellectual discussion on the fact that it was squib charges and holograms used on 9/11, not the propaganda put out by the corporate controlled media of 19 hijackers and jet airplanes.

I am somewhat of an expert on 9/11. I can look at a 72 dpi image on a really cool progressive Web site and tell you more than any aerospace or civil engineer what really happened.

There's a lot more going on in the 9/11 cover-up than meets the eye. People who buy every word that the corporate-controlled media says should go buy George Orwell's 1984 and practice up; it won't be long before the hopelessly indoctrinated manage to get the clocks to thirteen here. Peace. - Scott Laughrey

Posted by: Scott Laughrey | August 13, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The idea that Rove's leaving now to spend more time with his family doesn't wash. His son is a college student which naturally implies he wants to spend less time, alot less, with family. For those reading who haven't yet been there and done that, other than some meals and laundry, the social life of college students doesn't include parents.

The only logical conclusion to draw is someone/group is closing in on his latest nefarious/criminal activity.

Hopefully, the Post will clue us in sooner, rather than later.

Posted by: Ariel | August 13, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

It is completely understandable that Democrats and lefties would cheer Rove's departure. Most of this can be attributed to partisan bitterness.

But Republicans also have ample reason to say "good riddance" to their failed former hero. Rove has completely negated and rejected any good advice that this Homer Simpson of presidents had available to him. His much-celebrated political skills have cost the Republicans both houses of congress, and left his boss without any --- ANY --- positive accomplishment that might balance numerous failures after 6 years in office. The 2008 hopes of his own party are foundering, largely due to his destructive work. "Genius", my foot. Any Republican candidate would be foolish to touch him even with a 20-foot extension on a ten-foot pole.

Come to think of it, I don't see many Republicans embracing Tom Delay's advice and services, either.

Posted by: Dennis Chamberlin | August 13, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

March on Washington! September 15th and September 29th!

And for the record... there were over half a million people in DC for the March in January of 07.

Given the rate that people are pissed off over what is happening here... I think the number is going to MUCH MUCH higher!

See you THERE!

Posted by: Wake UP! | August 13, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me most of my fellow bloggers are over thinking this one...Rove is not leaving to either position himself to create fresh hell for the democrats or to avoid a new unannouced scandal within the Bush Admin but for that most basic of instincts-Greed! Carl simply understands that he can position himself into a lot more lucrative spot if he gets out now before the S.S. Bush sinks completley beneath the waves...No mystery, greed plain and simple.

Posted by: Birddog | August 13, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

They are indeed "the axis of evil".

Posted by: moonflower | August 13, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

IMAO (sigh) your attempts to engage me are apparent... you dear are in the MINORITY so I suggest you hush up and LEARN something from your contemporaries...

oh

and if you don't think that millions of republicants have been disenfranchised you need look only to the Iowa straw poll. The republicans there stayed home rather than subject themselves to more crap from the Game Show Hosts vying for the Presidency.

Face it... the repugs are OUT in 08! Too late in 08!

hahah!

Posted by: LI Girl | August 13, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What a worthless jerk! Now if we could just get bushie and darth vader to leave. Those three people have almost destroyed the United States. whoops ,forgot Rumsfeld. He probably did more damage than the rest of them

Posted by: selby Orear | August 13, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldhonky | August 13, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye to the man who did more damage to the American political system than anyone in history. Time will reveal how he lied cheated and stole his way to the White House. He gives fat white frat-boys from Texas a bad name..and they don't even know it. Bye Karl, see you in court.

Posted by: thebob.bob | August 13, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If Rove wished to spend more time with his wife and son, he should have done so a decade ago, not when the son is off at college. This "reason" is so transparently hollow it is a wonder the White House is even trying to sell it.

Posted by: Trii | August 13, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

LI Girl...you do know how easy it is to defeat RFID...do you not?

my God...you're leaving the Republic fold?! say it isn't so.....you were a bedrock of ideas and leadership!

Posted by: lmao | August 13, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

First there was Nixon's Donald Segretti and his dirty tricks, then Lee Atwater, a master of Republican subterfuge, and now (drum roll, please) there's Karl Rove whose entire life achievement was devoted to falsely destroying reputations of others with the relish of a Svengali.

Posted by: vicsoir | August 13, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

NYRunner...you can't be that obtuse..can you? or are you just conditioned to only look at one side of the coin?

one man's jumping ship is another man's "the average political operative mans the rail for 22 mos". by this standard, Rove far exceeded the norm. give it a try! look at the actual facts instead of cliches!

Posted by: lamo | August 13, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Our national SHAME AND NIGHTMARE will soon be over.

We have 17 MORON months left...

They have taken our freedoms from us.

They have taken our privacies from us.

They are forcing the States to abide by the Universal ID Act that will have an embedded RFID chip on a card that must be carried at all times... Think the movie "enemy of the state" and you get the picture.

As a former Republican I no longer recognize the Party, My Country or see where this country is being lead on ANY level.

Posted by: LI Girl - Our National SHAME is more like it! | August 13, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Like most sociopaths, including his dead hero Lee Atwater, Rove knows all about how to destroy things and people, but nothing about building anything constructive or helping his clients create visionary policies.

History will not be kind to this effeminate sociopath. I hope he works out the conflicts in his own sexuality before he again besmirches anyone else's...

Look for him to re-surface, like Jason in "Halloween" as a consultant to Thompson or Remney. We haven't seen the last of this fairy...

Posted by: LBA7895 | August 13, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Gonzalez next? Dirty Al goes while Congress is in recess. Bush appoints a stooge replacement who will continue the DOJ coverup and who will be exempt from Senate confirmation hearings.

These guys are down to lying & hiding. Nothing would surprise me, not martial law, a canceled 2008 election or an assassinated Democratic presidential candidate.

Posted by: Jeff L | August 13, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

heavyJ...you mean the criminal Leahy guilty of breaking security laws?

yup...guess that ends any reality check one might think of pointing your way!

btw....is it outof the realm of possibility for Rove to exercise an influence even if not formally appointed? nahhh...not in the symbolic world you all live in!

carry on karl! the hatred/comedy you instigate in the opposition is worth its weight in gold!

Posted by: been there | August 13, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Interesting... the republicants used religion and that phrase and now they want it not used!

Get a clue!

The worm is turning folks and if you thought November 06 was stunning, just think what November 08 is going to be like.

WE ARE DONE WITH THE CRAP COMING OUT OF WASHINGTON! GET IT?

DONE!

Posted by: We The American People! | August 13, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope that many of these posts are true, that Rove left because of an impending scandel that even a packed Supreme Court cannot fix. Karl Rove is an enigma. Does this man care about anything? Does he have any principals at all? He has been a brilliant strategist, that is for sure, but to what end? Has this country been in worse shape in this last century, ever? And that is why I hope that someone has something on him because a man who has been the archetect of electing an administration that has virtually destroyed everything this country stands for, our reputation, our constitution, our ability to distinguish right from wrong, well he needs to suffer, at least a little.

I am kind of new to these forums but is this truthsayer guy or girl for real? How can anyone think that the last six years, the years of an unecessary war, Katrina, Gonzalez, and on and on, has been sucessful. This is surely the mark of such delusion that I doubt even intensive mental health care could cure it.

Rove is gone. The rats are leaving the sinking ship. And soon, soon, our long national nightmare will be over.

Posted by: NYRunner | August 13, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vicsoir | August 13, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

these pipricking outbursts are too funny! made my day.

it's good to see Rove has instigated so much hatred. keep the nitwits engaged while the real work gets done I always say.

but please, one request: don't ever, EVER, use the phrase "..the American people". That is a conceit the Left likes to employ to justify it's own agenda....however limited in support it might actually be. it generally connotes an abscence of ideas and consensus more than anything else. if nothing else...it belies what should be obvious to everyone: there are very distinct divides in this country, at this time.

it's not a friendly debate and there are no clear cut visions. you want a knucklebrawller..fine by me. but don't wrap yourselves in your own flags. it's...well...unbecoming.

Posted by: lmao | August 13, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet the Democrats are truly upset over Karl Roves resignation...they won't know what to do now except raise taxes, try to hide their earmarks, raise taxes, eventually get to William Jefferson whom they appointed to Homeland Security and Reids and Obamas shady land deals, and yes, raise taxes ...and they won't have any cover...Damn who can we blame now.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Obviously the Dems made a deal with the Devil, they agreed to warrentless wiretapping in exchange for Karl Rove, just like they took impeachment off the table in exchange for Rumsfeld.

I would have liked to seen them both investigated but the Dems dont have the 'nads to go after them.

Posted by: turdblossom | August 13, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting that Rove and Mehlman are already putting their fingers in everyone's political pies that they think viable (think Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney)... to further the neo-con agenda. Rove isn't gone by a long shot...

Sadly if only Ken Mehlman would announce his sexual preferences to the world rather than hide in the shadows, the gay community might have a chance with the republican party in 08...

It's too bad that Mehlman has allowed himself to be part of the gay bashing policies when he could have done so much good to change them as in Dick Cheney's daughter.

Lastly if:

Straight parents produce gay children
then wouldn't
Gay parents produce straight children?

Posted by: Out and Proud | August 13, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Rove's genius, if it can be called that, is to recognize that in a democracy you can do a lot of damage to your opponents if you understand that what is unethical and immoral is not necessarily illegal, and that the scope of this gray area is enhanced substantially as soon as you acquire power by any means. So victory at any costs becomes the sole goal of politics, and to what point this leads the country as a whole assumes secondary importance, and you get torture and warrantless wiretapping and unprecedented politicization of the tradionally more or less neutral institutions like the judiciary, miltary and intelligence.

This will be the legacy of Rove. Being the amoral man that he is, he will not think twice about it, especially with the multi-million book advance that he his surely going to get after his departure from the White House.

Posted by: varan | August 13, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

...and what, pray tell, will history say about Karl Rove? That he trashed John McCain's image by orchestrating a whispering campaign in South Carolina? That he managed to sucker enough voters into thinking that another war hero (Kerry) was actually a coward and a traitor? That he worked to get rid of U.S. attorneys who wouldn't go after Democratic candidates?

Rove is little more than a glorified dirty trickster. He contributed nothing to his country but the debasing of public service.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think the celebration from the Left is a bit premature. Though it is true that Rove served as the lightning rod for all that was wrong with the political process from the Right, his absence leaves Cheney without any semblance of a counterbalance for Bush's attention. As weakened as Cheney may have been by the conviction of Scooter Libby, he appears to have won the power struggle and eliminated his only opposition.

Expect a hardening of the neoconservative line and the complete abandonment of Rove's domestic vision. Chief among the casualties will be Hispanic Republicans.

Posted by: Krusty Krustofski | August 13, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Any Democrats that think that Rove's leaving is good news for them, should think again.
First he rests up for a couple of weeks, then goes to work for whichever Republican candidate is the most likely to get the nomination...my money is on Fred Thompson, who at least looks presidential, is a perfect blank slate, and will be a willing puppet for Cheney and the neo-cons (just like W.)

THen Rove has to re-energize the Republican "base" of opp researchers, thugs, thieves, and bribed state officials to make sure that those Diebold machines aren't eliminated or made secure before he can use them to steal the '08 elections.

Posted by: smeesq | August 13, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This Administration has done NOTHING for the common man! Our borders are wide open, the Universal ID is about to be unleashed on us, our sons and daughters are mired in a civil war due to Bush's Folly and now this...

Karl Rove is a TRAITOR! He has failed his duty to uphold the Constitution.

He will be tried for his criminal misdoings and will no doubt face charges in front of the Hague.

It has been said that a fish rots from the head down... if so... Bush's brain is diseased and festering... just think we have another 17 months of this!

I agree with Jenn in Lakeland, FL. GOD HELP US!

Posted by: Fed up in South Carolina | August 13, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Who is going to be Georgies butt buddy now?

Posted by: dimbulb | August 13, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Rove is a lightning rod for all that is good or bad about the Bush administration; by far the majority of those we have heard from this morning seem happy to see him go."

Very funny "the majority we have heard from this morning" a group of victims of propaganda and are in a sea of ignorance.

Best wishes Karl Rove, you've been an effective and good civil servant...

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Karl Rove gone from Washington! Wow! That's music to my ears..... I wonder what position in a major corporation will now be handed to Rove to reward him for his loyalty to the "failed oil man from Texas?" It appears that the rats are continuing to leave a sinking ship.

I have a question...can Rove now be forced (once he leaves his present position) to testify before Congress since he will no longer have executive privilege? I would love to see that happen. Can you imagine the crap that he could reveal if forced to do so.....? I'm sure it would put both Bush and Cheney behind bars....a couple new federal prisons would need to be built just to handle Bush, Cheney and their "band of thieves".........interesting!

Posted by: RunninWlf | August 13, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

When the stink of political bodies is too rank, the untouchable leaves. The monster he created, Mr Frankinbush, is still there to taunt and punish us.

Posted by: Jim H. | August 13, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

This man has avoided responsibility for his actions his whole life. I don't think the Democrats have the fortitude to bring down Rove, I think he is leaving to continue his dirty deeds in an "undisclosed location", he is evil and not stoppable, at least by the spinless Democrats in Washington.

Posted by: Joaquin Ramirez | August 13, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The Democratic Party is a DIRTY TRICK

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Did I hear correctly that he's leaving to spend more time with his wife and son?? His son is in college! Who leaves their job to spend more time with their college-aged child?

Posted by: John | August 13, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"In a challenge to those of us who defend the appearance of comments on news stories, too many entries in this string violate our obscenity standards and have been removed."

I appreciate your defending readers' comments appearing at the end of reports. When it comes to obscenities, however, please bear in mind that nothing readers could write about Mr. Rove could ever approach the obscenity which his part in government since 2001 has represented. Many hundreds of thousands are killed and maimed in a criminal war; our electoral processes are now completely corrupt and unworthy of respecct or trust; we have seen no less than the complete dismantling of constitutional government.

To speak or write of Rove without resort to obscenities is to grossly understate and thus to do violence to the simple truth. It's high time we cared more for speaking the truth than for using polite language.

Posted by: proximity1 | August 13, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The Democratic is a DIRTY TRICK.

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Democrats hate Mr Rove and try to vilify the man whenever it seems convenient because he's so effective. They NEVER actually connect him with wrong doing but try to associate him with everything evil that ever existed. Democrat leaders are bankrupt of ideas other than to tax and spend and conduct vacuous hearings. Todays Democrats are major LOSERS.
GO KARL

Posted by: truthseeker | August 13, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I suspect he's on his way to Paraguay to purchase the "ranch" next to Bush's 98 thousand acres, they have to have someplace to store all those dirty little secret files and evidence of the corrupt WH and it's mastermind. Hopefully, turd blossom will soon be flushed down the toilet of disdain. He's a pathetic human being and now that he's a civilian I hope he's brought up on charges of crimes against humanity, the American people and for outing a CIA agent. But that will never happen because his master will pardon him.
How truly pathetic the Republican party is.

Posted by: Sue F | August 13, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

CUT AND RUN Karl Rove smells the stench of what he has unleashed on us the American People and the path of destruction he has laid for this once great country!

Because dear readers if he stays past the end of August he is REQUIRED to ride out the cruise on the Titanic...

May God have mercy on his soul because WE THE PEOPLE surely won't!

Posted by: Jenn Coolidge, Lakeland, FL | August 13, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If only he had used his intelligence for good and not for small-minded pettiness and outright evil.

Posted by: nicaro | August 13, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Dont let the door hit you on the way out...

Posted by: Garaldo Ruperto | August 13, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

No! No! No!

Don't think the dirty tricks will end. Rove will only be a Palm Pilot away.

That little you-know-what will only be more slippery, not less.

Congress needs to press criminal charges against Rove, Cheney and eventually The Decider-In-Chief, Bush.

Posted by: the real tony | August 13, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Roving possibilities:

1) Karl Rove severs (publically at least) ties with the WH so that he can AGGRESSIVELY fight charges that will be lodged against him after the August break.

2) Karl Rove resigns because he knows that the Cheney contingent is going to get its way and will nuke Iran and even Rove thinks this is lunacy. (i.e. Rumsfeld resigns and Rice gets her way; Rove resigns and Cheney gets his way.)

3) Karl Rove is lying (as usual) and will announce plans that he will manage _________ ________, as yet unannounced presidential campaign. (This person could be Newt Gingrich or even Joe Lieberman.)

4) Karl Rove resigns so that his legal battles are completed in time for him to get a presidential pardon.

5) Karl Rove resigns because he's only 56 YO and figures he needs an "out" to rehabilitate his image. He leaves the WH and things get even worse than they are and he can say, "Look at what happened AFTER I left!"

6) Karl Rove resigns so that they can successfully change the subject, AGAIN, and he still does his dirty work behind the scenes. Look...it's working. We're talking about it. ;-))

7) Karl Rove resigns because he's going to marry Jeff Gannon.

Posted by: micki | August 13, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Remember that in horror films the monster always dies twice! He will be back...pethaps with another puppet/pulpit.

Posted by: darklrd | August 13, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

About time. There is no genius in Rove, he just did tricks that other political opratives were squeamish or ethical not to do. Bush's administration will be remembered as incompetent, inept and mediocre. However, at least Bush can claim as having been president despite his lack of intellectual acuity and horribly inadequate communication skills.

Posted by: M. Stratas | August 13, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"He left his position on his own terms and time table. He wins, you lose."

Um, let me modify that slightly:

"He left his position on his Pat Leahy's terms and John Conyer's time table. They win, he loses."

Posted by: HeavyJ | August 13, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Why wait until the end of the month for the joyous occasion--do it now and we'll
cry all the way around the beltway!! I
wonder who'll do the dirty tricks now??
grodeman