Lay Finally Emerges

Kenneth L. Lay just poppped out of the court house with his family. The holdup: He had to come up with the $5 million required for his bail so he could go free.

CBNC was reporting that there were federal agents in Lay's luxury Houston penthouse -- the last liquid asset he has (he testified he has an annuity for retirement of about $10 million, if I recall correctly) -- pricing assets to see if they added up to $5 million. The network also reported that family members had to sign forms vouching for Lay, i.e., pledging their assets to his bail.

Wow.

When he came out and faced the media, he made a brief statement, proclaiming his innocence and saying he'd have more to say later.

"I am still a very blessed man," he said, next to his wife. "I have a very warm and loving Christian family that supports me. Most of all, we believe that God in fact is in control and indeed He does work all things for good for those who love the Lord. And we love our Lord."

Wow.

By Frank Ahrens |  May 25, 2006; 4:24 PM ET  | Category:  Dispatches
Previous: Taking a Breath | Next: The Specter of Prison Becomes Real

Comments

it's a pleasure watching rich crooks go to jail.

rich crooks who are, of course, intimately involved with the crooks in the white house.

see:

Posted by: ethan | May 25, 2006 04:42 PM

The ENRON convictions are a victory for honest, hard-working Americans, because they send a message to executive suites across the country that behavior that calls into question the integrity of our stock markets is BAD FOR THEM and BAD FOR AMERICA. Stock markets provide capital for industry and are the places where individual wealth grows, in anticipation of retirement -- the 401(k) being the mechanism of choice for retirement planning, in place of pension plans of yore.

Posted by: Richard Balsham | May 25, 2006 05:13 PM

I have to admit, I do feel some pity for Lay and Skilling and their families. I can't imagine what it must be like for them right now, to know that they likely have only a few months of freedom left and then will be sent to prison for the rest of their lives. And make no mistake, that fate is entirely deserved and appropriate, given all the pain and suffering they have caused others. But I still find it hard to take much pleasure from their own suffering.

Posted by: Krotos | May 25, 2006 05:20 PM

Krotos, if it will make you feel any better, rest assured that while Skilling and Lay will probably do some time (unless the verdicts are reversed on appeal), it will almost certainly not be "for the rest of their lives."

Which is a shame.

Posted by: Meridian | May 25, 2006 05:33 PM

Apparently God, who "works all things for good for those who love the Lord," is calling Lay to a new career in prison ministry.

Posted by: Zane | May 25, 2006 11:26 PM

Isn't it amazing - or perhaps, coincidence - that all crooks tend to find God AFTER they've been convicted.

No doubt, Tom Delay will be spending more time in the company of his clergyman in the near future.

Posted by: TroubleBoy | May 26, 2006 03:21 AM

Texas sure is a breeding ground for criminals,,,DeLay, Skilling ,Lay and the whole Bush family ( who by the way were evicted from New England for crimes unreported)Every state has its share,,but then again Texas IS BIGGER in more ways than one !!!

Posted by: Tommy C | May 26, 2006 08:43 AM

I wonder if it occurred to Kenny-Boy that this VERDICT was God's will??

Posted by: macRandall | May 26, 2006 09:39 AM

Krotos, do you feel any sympathy for the guy who is convicted of robbing a corner store? I think most people will agree with me when I say this small time hoodlum hasn't destroyed as many lives as Lay & Skilling but yet the hoodlum is going to get hard time, which he should, just like Lay & Skilling should. And none of these criminals deserve our sympathy!

Posted by: SteelWheel25 | May 26, 2006 01:20 PM

Will the American people ever be compensated for what these men have stolen?

Posted by: Nancy | May 26, 2006 10:06 PM

Living in Texas, I am well aware of the harm caused by the white-collar criminals of Skilling and Lay.

The criminals in the White House ( and they HAVE broken the law) continue committing their crimes. The American people only wake up when it hits their pocketbooks.

Posted by: Lynn | May 27, 2006 10:42 AM

My faith in the Criminal Justice System has been restored to a point. The jury, judge, and prosecution did their jobs admirably. NOW, we'll see if the System's effectiveness will be circumvented by the slick defense lawyers for some arcane reason they dream up. These two criminals deserve as intense a punishment as an armed robber....but we'll see.

Posted by: Jackster | May 28, 2006 03:41 PM

As a christian I feel deep pity with these guys. As I see it , capitalism means"Getting the biggest amount of money with the least effort", even "selling your own grandmother". This is for me a fact as well as the quote from someone saying "Democracy is the lesser evil". So I don´t feel any jealousy hearing about people making the big deals, getting the biggest piece of the cake, owning cars, pools, houses etc. Could you say the same or is there always this little nagging greed and jealousy ? Of course these guys need punishment, they are guilty, but that was the way they were brought up and taught at school and college.That you can´t deny. Most things managers are doing are not illegal but immoral. That is the greatest problem in our society. I reject the stock exange and everything that goes with it (believing in "Zero Growth" and the Tobin Tax), but I won´t change this world. Both men should do jobs (besides prison term)like the ones done by Skilling because of court order , for example working for Charities like Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross,or work for old peoples welfare( to feel in the buddhist sense sympathy for others and to give before take can be learned...)Call me naive but there IS still a difference between murder, rape and business delinquency , don´t you think ?

Posted by: Hermione | May 30, 2006 02:56 PM