Lay in Prayer

Jeffrey K. Skilling and his lawyer, Dan Petrocelli, emerged from the court house and briefly addressed the media shortly after the verdict.

But Kenneth L. Lay has yet to emerge. CNBC reported a few minutes ago that Lay and his family, as well as his lawyers and much of the Lay team, had joined hands in a circle of prayer, along with Lay's longtime pastor, Stephen Wende, inside the court house.

Lay had said all along that the verdict was in God's hands.

By Frank Ahrens |  May 25, 2006; 1:38 PM ET  | Category:  Dispatches
Previous: Grooving on Glisan | Next: Taking a Breath

Comments

If Kenny boy had aspired to ethics ten plus years ago, he wouldn't be praying for -- um -- whatever it is he's praying for now. Let's hope the rest of Cheney's energy policy task force follows him soon.

Posted by: TomorrowTheGOP | May 25, 2006 02:13 PM

Do they ever read the Gospel?

"When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them." - Matthew 5

Posted by: aj | May 25, 2006 02:14 PM

If the verdict was in God's hands, I guess that means Kenny Boy won't appeal.

Posted by: dgd | May 25, 2006 02:38 PM

Amazing how these guys discover religion when the wrath of God is upon them!!

Posted by: SteelWheel25 | May 25, 2006 02:52 PM

Lay in prayer brings to mind the saying "Religion is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

Posted by: Sully | May 25, 2006 02:53 PM

Kenny Boy - a prayer circle ain't gona get ya out of this one! No more din-din with the Bushs. Ask me if I feel sorry for you? Ask me if I care that you rot in jail (country club one probably)? Ask me if I think you are guilty?
NO NO YES

There is still NO justice after your rape of Enron.

At least Skillng had the guts to face the media. Hiding behind the Bible is not going to make you a better man, Kenny Boy!

Posted by: David | May 25, 2006 03:01 PM

Kenny Boy's better be praying that he doesn't get stuck with a sex crazed bubba as his cell mate who lost money on Enron stock.

Posted by: Mel | May 25, 2006 03:07 PM

Why he needs to pray is beyond me. He's got a "Get out of jail free" card that's valid until noon January 20, 2009. He paid for it in 2000. Pretty good investment especially since most of it was other peoples' money.

Posted by: Elmo | May 25, 2006 03:07 PM

Frank: great coverage. keep up the good work.

Posted by: Marc Zolton | May 25, 2006 03:23 PM

I understand that a federal crime has no option of parole of any kind. I hope this is correct. I also hope it is hard time given.
Lay's only prayer may lie with the judge who will impose sentence on the two thieves. I pray that he is as determined as that jury was to see that a fair decision is made for both. Read that as twenty years minimum. I honestly thought that money and fame would buy the plaintiffs freedom, as in the case of OJ Simpson. How refreshing to learn this outcome!

Posted by: wb perry | May 25, 2006 03:24 PM

Let's hope that Bush won't pull a Clintonesque pardoning of each and every felon who has connections with the fundraising apparatus of the Republican Party on his last day in office.

Posted by: Elaine | May 25, 2006 03:29 PM

The Post article summarizing the jury findings says that Lay and Skilling spent close to $70 million on their joint defense.

I know this was a big-bucks, long and complicated trial but come on, $70 million? How does any law firm justify that sort of price tag?

I doubt if Michael Jackson spent anywhere near $70 million in his child molestation trial.

Posted by: Ulricii | May 25, 2006 03:38 PM

Mr. Lay seems to finally understand that the chances of him spending the remaining years of his life in a prison cell and not with his loved ones, are very real. Nothing can save him now, "we reap what we sow."

Posted by: moeszyslak | May 25, 2006 03:44 PM

Well, it sure was a bad day for Hermes ties. Skilling and Petrocelli must own 400 of them as they wore new Hermes ties every day. I don't think they go well with jail overalls, however.

Posted by: peter haley | May 25, 2006 04:49 PM

it is more sad to hear what they did to their employees...thousands of lives shattered...life in prison would be appropriate for their crimes...will not bring back the funds these guys robbed from their people and investors but they will receive what they deserve...I hope every CEO now understands what they are up against if they try the same nonesense these guys pulled...time to clean up corporate America

Posted by: | May 25, 2006 07:06 PM

Great to hear from my old colleague Marc "Tsoltar" Zolton.

Posted by: Frank Ahrens | May 25, 2006 11:47 PM

If I could draw, I'd do a cartoon of a raft called "Enron" floating down the big river with "King" Lay saying "I told the dopes I didn't know much about the company" to "Duke" Skilling who says "I told them I didn't know much about finances," with Huck and Jim looking on in disgust.

Posted by: Bob McCracken | May 26, 2006 04:29 AM

The verdict does nothing to restore the savings the employees lost. But I imagine that as the employees struggle to put their lives back together they will take heart knowing that Skilling and Lay no longer have lives at all.

Posted by: jthames | May 26, 2006 08:08 AM

I wonder if Lay and Skilling know how to operate a pick and shovel? Perhaps, back when they could afford one, they watched their gardener on occasion.

Posted by: phlounder | May 26, 2006 09:05 AM

Why did Skilling and Lay accept those
huge paychecks if they did'nt know
what was going on.