Mac Market Math

Between those "Hi, I'm a Mac/And I'm a PC" ads, the well-documented problems with upgrading to Microsoft's new Windows Vista and the continued smart design of Apple's own hardware and software, a lot of people have been expecting the Mac's share of the computing market to rise.

Some numbers published last week suggested that this was finally happening:

Apple's share of desktop and notebook sales online and through brick-and-mortar stores rose to 13% from 11.6% in April, according to The NPD Group. Apple notebook sales rose to 14.3% of overall purchases from 12.5%, while desktop sales inched up to 10.4% from 10.2%.

Considering that Apple's market share has been stuck at 5 percent or less for most of the last decade, those numbers are big news. But they also leave out one of Apple's biggest competitors--Dell, which NPD says doesn't report its own sales.

On Monday, NPD researcher Stephen Baker provided me with data from NPD's own buyer surveys--which should cover all consumer sales in the U.S., albeit with slightly less accuracy than sales data direct from retailers. These, too, show significant gains for Apple: From May of 2006 to May of 2007, its share of the non-business market increased from 4.4 percent to 7 percent. In desktops alone, Apple edged up from 4.1 percent to 5.3 percent; in notebooks (a faster-growing part of the business), it almost doubled its share from 4.7 percent to 8.2 percent.

Are you among the people responsible for that increase? If so, what led you to switch from Windows when you did not before?

By Rob Pegoraro  |  June 26, 2007; 9:21 AM ET
Categories:  Mac
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cheaper Ink For Your Inkjet?
Next: iPhone iNsanity Continues

Comments

Vista made me switch to Mac, in addition to the new LED backlit displays on the new 15" MacBook Pro.

Posted by: John Murphy | June 26, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I abandoned Windows years ago, switching to Linux. I liked the ability to tinker and fix absolutely any problem, either with software or hardware. But, after a few years, I got tired of doing it and wanted something that just worked, even if it meant a slight loss in that level of flexibility. So I got an iBook G4 in 2004.

My job is to administer a predominantly Windows network, and I often wonder how much time I would save if all these people just used Apples...

Posted by: BR | June 26, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

made me switch because of the cost of anti virus.. and i don't want to upgrade to vista

Posted by: fz | June 26, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I switched to the Macbook for two reasons: the educational discount, and the fact that I'm starting law school in August and I want a reliable machine that's going to last through the process without the insane difficulties I've had with my work-issued Dell laptop. They've had to issue me three different laptops over my tenure at this company due to critical failures. I will only go back to Windows if forced to professionally.

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | June 26, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

To help drive the 'desktop sales,' we got a Mac mini a few months ago. I've never owned a Windows machine for personal use (a coworker recently gave us an old one of his, which I keep powered off except for once a month to download patches from Microsoft, and to do those few chores the Mac or Linux boxes can't do, such as those involving Windows Media Player DRM).

It seems a waste to run what appears to be a separate layer of software on top of the OS in an attempt to thwart malware which isn't (yet) noticeable on the non-Microsoft side of the fence.

Posted by: Charles | June 26, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I purchased a MacBook Pro last month. I was very surprised that Apple shipped it a week late and directly from China. Not to slick. It took 3 weeks to get my laptop. Perhaps Apple should learn the concept of a warehouse.

Posted by: Jeff | June 26, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I finally bought my parents an iMac as a gift to replace their PC, just so I wouldn't have to deal with their constant computer woes any more. It works like a charm, they're thrilled with it, and I don't have to play Ms. Tech Support.

Posted by: Relieved | June 26, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I just bought a new laptop today, and in slightly different circumstances it would have been a Mac. I've always been a PC guy, but I've been considering switching to a Mac ever since the introduction of OS X. I'm underwhelmed by Vista, so far, and would love to give a Mac a try.

The problem: I don't like Apple's laptop offerings. I want a laptop at 4.5 pounds or less; Apple doesn't make an ultaportable laptop. The MacBook/MacBook Pro is not huge, but the lightest MacBook pro model is 5.4 pounds, and the lightest MacBook is 5.1 pounds. Plus, I want a 12 or 13" screen, so the MacBook Pro is out anyway. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the MacBook design--it's too thick/bulky, the keyboard is goofy, and it's just generally not a great fit for me.

That being said, Apple knows what it is doing--their hardware and software are very approachable, comfortable, and functional. And I think it's very smart that they, unlike most hardware companies, limit their wares to clearly delineated product lines. For now, their stuff doesn't meet my needs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next computer I buy is, finally, a Mac.

Posted by: Jake | June 26, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Have always owned a Mac, even back to the days of the Mac clones and before. I work for a Software/Systems engineering company, and slowly but surely many of the engineers are buying Macs for their home use. They love the ease-of-use and the Unix underpinning. The system speaks for itself. Stable, reliable, powerful, AND easy to use. It's a no-brainer.

Posted by: Me | June 26, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

After being a windows user since windows 1.0 I just got fed up with the constant crashes and restarts I had to do. When you have 15 documents and programs open everyday you want to hypernate the computer in the end of the day instead of closing everything down. Windows xp only manages to do this 3-4 times before it requires a restart.

The OS X doesnt suffer from this. In fact I have not experienced a crash on my OS since I bought my Mac book Pro in january (apart from Microsoft office on osx). I have gone 40 days without rebooting and NO performance loos. I actually only rebot when i do system updates. I just wonder why I put up with MS for so long.

Posted by: Schnitzel | June 26, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

20 years of Windows.

Final straw was having to run 2 updates one being .net framework to run the Windows compability tool to see if my machine could run Vista. Took an extra 20 minutes with the downloads and 2 reboots. Just to find out my machine lacked blah blah blah for the update.

Said after that my next machine was a Mac. Now just waiting for the next iMac to come out with Leopard preinstalled...Christmas comes in late Oct/Early November this year..:)

Posted by: John | June 26, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I got tried of have to fix things after install the patchers in windows. With the mac, what patchers it does get go in with out have to fix things. Also when I did and OS upgrade It did so easy without any problem plus it didn't take hours and hours. I switched in 2005.

Posted by: Margarita | June 26, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I reckon I'm one of those folks who will be helping with Apple's market share surge, but I'm not a "switcher."

I'm a long-time Mac pro who used to buy a cheap PC every couple years to for testing stuff like websites, but that's longer necessary since new Macs can run Windows/Linux in virtualization so well.

Posted by: Tim | June 26, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I am a lifelong Apple customer who has extensive experience running a Windows computer lab. I'd never use Windows at home. It's just too aggravating by comparison.

Having lived through the years where all the media outlets were reporting about the impending death of Apple, the past few years have been a joy. Apple is healthy and vibrant, and I don't worry any longer about the platform dying away with the increases in marketshare.

Jake, rumors have it that a Mac ultraportable is in the works for later this year or early next year.

Jeff, I suspect your delays were due to the fact that the MacBook Pro line was just revamped when you made your purchase. Shipping direct from China is typical for Apple during the first weeks of producing a new model. Once stock is built up, they ship from regional warehouses (yes, they know about them!).

Posted by: Thor | June 26, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I wrote a comment about this a few months ago...

The tale of my move from Linux to Mac is here.

Posted by: wiredog | June 26, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Started with Apple II+, but went to DOS and Windows when Apple went to Macintosh, and was unable to get a good accounting and personal finance program, plus lack of amateur radio oriented programs. About 2 years ago got into Linux, but when I saw my son's Macbook, that did it. Got an iMac with Paralells desktop, so can use needed Win progs, but am tickled pink with the ease and durability of Mac OS X. Still play around with Linux, though:) I think that Apple prices its products rather high and reduces its appeal to a greater consumer group.

Posted by: Professional Retiree | June 26, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Professional Retiree | June 26, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I would probably be typing this on a macbook (pro); however, the 15" model has only two USB ports and I'm not going to lug around a 17" notebook to only have one additional USB port.

Seriously, the only thing killing it for me is the lack of enough (built in) USB ports.

Posted by: Jason | June 26, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Our family is in a slow process of switching over to Mac. Two years ago, my pastor husband purchased a G4 for his office use. He has loved not having the problems associated with Windows. There were a few communication glitches with the Windows computers in the office (Mac could talk to them, but they wouldn't listen!). They have learned to work through it and now have a good working system. It has been nice for him when the Windows computers are "acting up," he is able to simply continue working on his Mac.

Fast forward to this year. Our family had the opportunity to buy a notebook for home use (we also homeschool our children). We thought about which direction we would go and quickly chose a MacBook. We have had very few problems. And even when a problem arose, Mac customer service had us up and running in less than 15 minutes--no lengthy wait times on the phone!!

We will likely be replacing our desktop this year. It will probably be a Mac.

Posted by: Laura | June 26, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what all you people run on your computers to make them crash. I'm an engineering student (Dell Latitude D610) so i have some large programs that need to be ran. never had trouble or a crash. had many different applications open with no crash. maybe you guys spend a lil more money on your PCs to get a decent product then taking the "super sweet weekend deal special" for 299.

Posted by: ME | June 26, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I want to respond on John Murphy's comment. John, did you ever deal with Apple support? Couple month ago one of our Power Mac G5 failed. AppleCare rep told me that this computer has serious issue (motherboard failed) and it can be resolved only at Apple store or at Apple certified service provider, meaning that I as network administrator have to carry 40+ lb box to nearest service location. In NYC that means take big bag, catch taxi, spend 20 min in city traffic, spend time in line, waiting for technician to test, to do paperwork, and then taxi again... Wait for a week for a call from service shop and then repeat same trip again to get your computer back. And do all of that having extended service contract aka AppleCare?!
After a month this computer failed again the same way and I knew the drill. But this time AppleCare rep mentioned that according to their records for computer's serial number when I arrive to service shop I should mention that this time power supply should be replaced together with motherboard. Turns out that Apple doesn't make a recall even if they know there is an issue with certain batch of computers. I'll speculate that they just wait and see what happens. Maybe problem will happen after a year of purchase and you didn't buy AppleCare, or maybe problem will happen after 3 years or maybe it won't happen at all.
I have 20+ Apple workstations now and I live in fear that it will happen again. Apple has terrible support (actually no support!) for business customers. Don't be fooled by shiny Apple stores and Genius Bar there. For same money we spent on AppleCare (and I'm not talking about money and time loss for mentioned repair) we can purchase extended warranty from say Dell on their product and in case of any hardware problem technician will be rushing to our office same day with replacement part. Unfortunately art designers don't know Windows, so we can't switch.
Do you have a problem with Windows OS's? Don't give users administrative or power user rights and everything will be alright. Now explain me why Mac OSX user can drop say LimeWire on their desk top and run it even if don't have administrative rights on their Macs?

Posted by: Igor | June 26, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I have a media center HP pc and I have no problems at all. It's like "ME" said what kind of weekend special progs. are you running. I have large video and audio processing programs and they never crash. I have to agree that Vista is not all that good. I much prefer XP because of all the fantastic existing software for it. Not to mention a lot of free stuff.

Posted by: SgtConker1r | June 26, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

After repeated talks with support people in India and having to erase my hard drive 3 times in 3 months to fix various bugs I had had enough. With windows, you can't boot to an external drive or make a clone drive as you can with a Mac. I don't miss staying up until 1 in the morning talking to Jugdish in Bangladore.

Posted by: John Welch | June 26, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

My days as a Mac user date back to 1983 as a beta tester in college and I was a loyal customer until around 1998. Apple seemed to lose its way and the cuteness of the colorful iMac was not enough to make me switch, so we lived with Windows hell for nearly eight years. The MacBook we purchased for my daughter last summer changed that and we now own a 21" iMac along with a Mac Mini. While the Mac OS is not without the occasional fault, I don't worry nearly as much about viruses and rootkits.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | June 26, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I have long admired Apple's ability to maintain a loyal fan base in the face of many challenges. When I last considered purchasing replacement equipment I was deterred by the fact that Mac monitors don't operate in portrait mode (actually my requirement is to be able to rotate from landscape to portrait as required) and there were subtle differences in the features and function of "standard" products like Quicken that prevent the sharing of data between Mac and PC on the same network.

Am I the only one who cares about things like this?

Posted by: Adm | June 26, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The absurd overhead and maintenance requirements to keep Windows minimally functioning. After 18 years of struggling to work the way my computer made me, I went back to Mac and do things my own way. I have Parallels where I absolutely must use a Windows-only app, and for everything else I use the computer that serves me.

Posted by: CIOperson | June 26, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

My next purchase will be a Mac laptop (although I, too, wish Apple made an ultraportable.) There are a couple of Windows apps I can't abandon, like Naturally Speaking and Info Select. So I'm planning to install Parallels and Windows XP--fortunately I have an unused legal copy. I suspect many of us who admire Apple but can't abandon Windows entirely will make this move. The dual-core system and Parallels has changed everything.

Posted by: tam | June 26, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Adm

It's true that Apple-branded monitors, as configured, do not rotate, but the foot of the monitor is connected via a standard mounting mechanism and can be replaced with one that will rotate if you wish. Alternatively, simply buy a non-Apple monitor that rotates! They all work with Macs too, you know. The Mac OS has a simple preference setting to rotate the image as you desire. For kicks, I just made my image be sideways and upside down on my Apple monitor with a couple of clicks.

In other words, the desire to have a portrait mode screen is not be a barrier to buying a Mac.

Quicken, well, I have gripes about that too, but they are directed more at Intuit itself (i.e. I would not switch to Windows just for the Windows version of Quicken). Competing products on the Mac side have not made enough of a dent, yet, to force Intuit give the Mac version of Quicken feature parity with the Windows version, where it has to compete with Microsoft Money. I hope that changes soon, as I don't particuarly like Intuit as a company. They come out with new versions every year, with rather modest new features, and start de-activating online capabilities from older versions to force upgrades. I have used Quicken for over a decade, though, and it does what I need. They are testing my loyalty, however, and it won't take much for me to abandon the product.

Posted by: Thor | June 26, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I just bought an iMAc two days ago, to replace a 2 and a half year old custom-built PC. Sunday afternoon, when I realized that not only had I wasted an entire weekend trying to re-install XP on this machine, but that this was merely the latest episode in a 15 year history of patching, re-installing, re-booting, fiddling with settings, looking for drivers, worrying about viruses, and all that--ENOUGH! Back to Apple, which I left when I retired my Apple IIc all those years ago. Not looking back! I know MS has a terribly tough job, selling an OS that will work (sort of) with fifty zillion possible hardware set-ups, but still--if you're going to rule the universe, do a better job! Or I'll find a better universe.

Posted by: Jack Reacher | June 26, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

After years of using a PC I made an "apples-to-apple" comparison of features and price and bought a 20 inch iMac. It took a while to figure out the operating system but after a couple of weeks "the light came on" and all I can say is WOW. It is so logical and easy to use. Plus all my PC documents can be opened and then taken back to work. (mainly MS Office stuff) For years I had bashed Mac users. Now, I finally understand why they were so in love with their machines and the Mac OS. I'm sorry for all the nasty Mac remarks of the past. I will NEVER buy another windows PC.

Posted by: Tampa Tom | June 26, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I switched about two years ago when the hard drive on my 2+ year old 15" Compaq notebook crashed. I had just taken a job with lots of travel so the 12" G4 iBook appealed to me. It was right after Apple came out with a new iBook model so I got the "older" model for about $700 through Amazon-- much cheaper than any 12" Windows book.

God forbid anything happen to my little iBook now though. Cost no longer is an issue for me, but size is. I do not like the dimensions of the current 13" MacBooks. Their slightly enlongated shape does not fit well in handbags (it's much easier to whip a laptop out of a handbag than a carry-on suitcase when going through airport security). I might have to go back to Windows if the sizing is better.

Posted by: Alexandria | June 26, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I switched after owning 3 dells, each of which lasted a year before horrible malfunctions, and even worse customer service. I've had a Mac ibook for 2 years now. I've never before felt affection for a computer, but I love the thing. Once you get used to the operating system (which takes a day or two tops) it is super user-friendly, convenient and practical. No blue screens, no error messages, no ugly Windows OS to deal with. Apple's customer service is fantastic, as well. You can make an appointment at a Genius Bar at an apple store and talk to a real live person about your question or problem, and get feedback and answers right on the spot. Brilliant.

Posted by: maclover | June 26, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I can speak to Apple's excellent customer service. I had a non-critical problem (with my MacBook Pro) that the Genius Bar couldn't handle (a charging malfunction) and I had to send it in for service. For me, this was like sending my right arm off to a distant location so I was very apprehensive. I timed it to happen around Xmas of last year so my workload would be less. I sent it in (to TX) on a Friday. They returned it to me (fully functional) by the following Monday. Amazing!

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | June 26, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@Thor

The elegance and economy of space offered by the iMac is lost if you have to use a Mac pro and attach a foreign monitor in order get portrait mode. I, too, hate!!!! Intuit; however, I have not found a product that handles as many financial accounting services, is compatible with 15 years of Quicken transactions and is dirt cheap.

Posted by: Adm | June 26, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember the movie "Diner"? Remember Shreevie's wife--"I just want to listen to some music, Shreevie." That's why I use an iMac--I just want to do stuff with my computer. I don't need all the techno details and the agita.

Posted by: Mac user | June 26, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I started out using an Apple II plus, then DOS, and Windows 3.1 to XP. I switched after reading some PC Magazine reviews on laptops - Dell E1505 for one. I decided to try the Macbook in 12/06 since I was tired of the endless XP security updates, rebooting, and waiting for XP to boot and shut down. I am not disappointed. The Intel chip was another factor in my decision.

I too lament Quicken isn't fully compatible between windows and OSX. So, I decided to open a financial management account to monitor my spending and pay bills so I haven't fired up my windows pc in months.

Posted by: No more windows for me! | June 26, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@Adm

"The elegance and economy of space offered by the iMac is lost if you have to use a Mac pro and attach a foreign monitor in order get portrait mode."

Agree with you on that. Didn't realize that you wanted a rotating iMac! There is a solution for the 24-inch iMac, it appears. Google this: VESA Mount Adapter Kit for 24-inch iMac

With that kit plus an ariculating arm, you can have one large rotating iMac!

Posted by: Thor | June 26, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I bought a 17" imac almost 6 months ago. This computer is for home usage and is very easy to use. I have downloaded several free software programs, including NeoOffice, and haven't had to buy expensive software, apart from Quicken. This computer is much simpler than my Windows XP computer. There is only the rare hiccup and is overall exceptionally stable. The simplified features of ichat are a pleasure to be able to video chat with friends and family. All in all, if you need a new computer, the design and functionality of the mac can't be beat. Finally, Firefox, Camino and Opera all work on Mac.

Posted by: Adam Schmuckler | June 26, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Quick set-up. I've been using Apple products since the IIe, and still have a Mac SE that plays Zork realy well. I've also been using Windows since 3.1, although I skipped Win95-ME and went the NT 4/2000/XP route.

Currently, I have a 17-inch PowerBook G4 running 10.4, as well as a Sony Vaio running Vista Ultimate. The two machines literally sit side-by-side on my desk. (I'm also playing with Ubuntu on a separate machine, but really nothing about it has gotten me really jazzed.)

The surprising part? Since Vista was released, the PowerBook is really gathering dust. While I won't defend Microsoft's multi-SKU nonsense, this OS kicks some serious booty. And it's the little things that shine. For example, I feel like I can navigate the file system much, much faster in Vista than I can in Tiger. So much so that I've found the Mac Finder to be painfully frustrating in comparison.

And you can't really compare Front Row to Vista's Media Center. Media Center is a far superior experience that you have to see for yourself.

Best of all - not one crash since I installed Vista in late Feb. Restarts have only been necessary for a few installs/updates. Meanwhile, the Mac is crashing more (yes, more!) frequently - both the OS and individual apps (especially Firefox).

Anyway, just some recent observations. I really hope some of the Mac "faithful" truly look at the platforms objectively. It's been helpful for me, and has resulted in a more pleasant and fresh experience over the last few months.

Posted by: Paul D. | June 27, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Macs are assembled in China?

I will NEVER buy one if that's the case.

Posted by: Critter | June 27, 2007 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I have been using windows, sun and linux for last 10 - 15 years , a few months back i went to a apple store to buy a iPod and checked the Mac book pro .. it was too good to ignore and that made me dump my old think pad

Posted by: YASH | June 27, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I switched right before I started college about six years ago. There were a few compatibility issues back then, but at a big University with computer labs it wasn't much of an issue, and really everything just WORKED on my Mac, and worked the first time. Apple's done a really good job of upgrading their laptop lines to the point that I really don't need a PC around for anything anymore.

Posted by: JAG | June 27, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I switched to the Mac about six months ago after the umpteen-millionth crash of a PC (three different computers, all running Windows.) The last time I lost three college papers, all due within a week. I got tired of all the hiccups and freezes. I got tired of having to teach myself some arcane process to run anything. The Mac has certainly won me over with its ease of use.

Posted by: Trey | June 27, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

My first computer - in 1985 - was a Mac and I was a loyal Apple fan until my son wanted to run computer games about 5 - 7 years ago. Then we bought him a PC desktop and the Mac use slowly withered away by all of us.

When it was time to get a new computer for him we got a Windoze laptop. Last year I purchased a MacBook with Intel chips, knowing that I could run the few Windows programs I needed or wanted to on it.

As my son's laptop is pokier than the MacBook, he's started to use mine more and more. So is my wife, who never really used computers much.

As my son is looking at starting college in 2008 we'll be looking to upgrade his laptop. I'm thinking he'll be wanting a Mac when that happens.

So in 22 years we've gone about full circle in our family computing habits.

Posted by: Patrick | June 27, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Started with an Altima II laptop running DOS, I bet none of you under-50s remember that one; then a Compaq (Win 3.1), several H-P notebooks and finally in late 2005 came the Light from Above: a G4 iBook.
BUT a big but. I can't figure out how to put XyWrite III on my iBook. What? No one knows what that is? Only the best word processor ever invented.
Sigh.

Posted by: Irene | June 27, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I've been using Apple computers since 1989. I have a "museum" of the greatest Apple computers (28 in all). I have the Apple II, IIe, Woz IIgs, Mac 128k, 512k, Plus, SE, etc, etc.

I'm gettiing rid of all of them except for my Xserve. I'm switching to mainly using Linux on PC hardware. This is because I don't have much money and I want to learn 3D design with the program "Blender." The only new Macs that I can afford have terrible Intel GMA 950 graphics processors. Apple used to have good graphics processors in their entry level machines. I'm very dissatisfied with their dumbing down of the GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit).

For the price of a Mac Mini I can build a computer with a dual core processor which is better than the Mini's. I can also have two high end graphics cards running in SLI mode, which means they are connected and processing together. I can also have a good quality 19 inch monitor, and a keyboard and mouse. All this for the cost of a Mini without keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

I'd like to stick with Apple, but they just don't have what I need right now. You would think that with the Pixar/Apple connection that Apple would want to support entry level 3D animators. Good GPUs would help them break into the gaming market, too.

Posted by: Mucha Lucha | June 28, 2007 2:45 AM | Report abuse

I want to get a new Mac for home use soon but one of my kids plays Warcraft and a few other online games and my quick read is that no Mac can, unless I spend a lot of extra $ to beef up the graphics card and run the program w/Parallels or Boot camp. Are my impressions correct? Can anyone offer their experience on trying recent version Macs with such games? thanks.

Posted by: Howard wants to switch | June 28, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Do you have any thoughts on portable scanners? Pen or handheld? Looking to have a college student use it for notetaking.
Thanks for your time. Do appreciate it.
Teri
tdcarpenter@gmail.com

Posted by: teri carpenter | June 29, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Microsoft sold consumers their beta version of Windows ME. I gave up on Microsoft and switched to Linux; the open source community. When Apple came out with OS X (panther), I purchase my first Mac. Now I only have computer problems at work, when I'm forced to use Microsoft; install reboots, lock-ups, registry keys, ...).

Posted by: Tom H. | June 29, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Where does "Critter" think computers come from? Where did the machine he/she wrote that reply about never buying a mac if they're assembled in China come from?

Posted by: XC Coach | July 2, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse