Don't Run Out To Buy An iPhone Today

Whether you love, like or are just curious about the iPhone 3G, I'll recycle my modest suggestion from a year ago: Don't line up at a store to buy one today unless you absolutely need it.

Even though the iPhone 3G isn't the same kind of brand-new thing the first iPhone was, the lines to buy it may be even worse. That's because--unlike at last summer's hype-soaked iPhone launch--Apple won't let you get out of the store without first signing up for a two-year AT&T plan. You won't be able to grab the box, pay for it and activate the phone in your own copy of iTunes.

In a Bloomberg story Tuesday, Apple retail vice-president Ron Johnson expressed confidence that this would go quickly, saying "Our expectation is that in 10 to 15 minutes, you'll be set up and ready to go."

But consider the paperwork and credentials involved in setting up an account, as listed on Apple's Web site: credit card, Social Security Number and valid, government-issued photo ID. Apple's stores have featured some of the sharper employees in the retail universe, but there's only so much you can do to accelerate the bureaucratic process of signing up for cell-phone service.

So if you've got an older phone, iPhone or not, that still works fine and is in no danger of expiring imminently, let other people fill the lines and crowd the stores. Waiting another week or so won't kill you. This isn't like getting tickets to a Fugazi reunion at the Black Cat; there will be plenty of iPhones to go around.

If, however, you are going to queue up with the masses, please report back here on your experience--I'm out of town today, thanks to prior plans, and so will miss the festivities. (Bonus points to the first person to post a comment from a newly-purchased iPhone 3G!)

By Rob Pegoraro  |  July 11, 2008; 6:33 AM ET
Categories:  Gadgets
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Social Skills For Address Books
Next: iPhone 3G First Impressions

Comments

I just walked by a line of over 1000 people waiting for this phone. Materialism at its finest. Get a life people.

Posted by: Mark | July 11, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

There are co-workers taking the day off today (Friday) to stand in line.

Why not do the release on a Saturday instead to help worker productivity. Sort of like the loss of productivity under March Madness.
john@sjebcdmz.com

Posted by: john | July 11, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

It's not even a matter of standing in line. Everyone knows Apple will lower the price in 3 months and come out with a better version next year.

Posted by: Ritch | July 11, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

hehehe just got it writing from it lmao they didnt take that long to set up I already had plan with AT&T so thing were easier they give out coffee and water around 7 am this morning they welcome us with cheers as we enter the store lmao kinds funny if u ask me we had channel 7 news crew also only allowing 15 people at the time the lines were kinds long I wanna guess were about 200 people more or less we came around 4:30 am and got a good spot hehe well not much to say I guess

Posted by: Kevin G. | July 11, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could see people lining up to donate some money for the people in need... where are we heading people, individuality and materialism will eat away all good values that people still have...

Shame on us all... me included for reading such an article...

Posted by: Antoon | July 11, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

marketing is the greatest psychological warfare operation ever devised and implemented. The same people that whine and complain about lines, inconvenience, greenhouse gas, etc, are lining up sheep to a slaughter, lemmings over the cliff, just to buy something that they can live without.

It does not feed you, clothe you, or keep you healthy.

We the people are stupid as a mass, and only intelligent as individuals.

We managed top survive as a species for 25k years without an iphone, PS3, wii, etc.

I don't want one, especially on the largest call dropping network in America.

All of my ATT friends can't even make calls from their house, but my Verizon non 3g non smart phone, certainly does.

Posted by: Marketing is Psyops | July 11, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

To the anti-iphones people:

Some of us have the disposable income to give to charity AND blow a few hundred on a toy phone. Don't hate.

Posted by: Mark | July 11, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I turned my smartphone service off over 3 months ago and, without a cellphone, my life has never been better. Fight the capitalism. Ignore the marketing. You want to be human? Create something for yourself instead of letting someone else tell you what you 'need'.

Posted by: BurnTheTowe | July 11, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Mark,

That is the weakest of excuses I've ever heard. I personally challenge with $100 to go to your local pediatric cancer ward and explain your position to it's patients.

Posted by: BurnDaTower | July 11, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

What happens if you get a 3g phone but at&t dosen't support 3g sercives in your area, why is no one talking about this?

Posted by: Mark | July 11, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

BurnDaTower,

I spend over 80 hours a week in the hospital already. And those kids have wiis/xboxes already in their rooms, they don't need a iphone.

Posted by: Mark | July 11, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Apple have got themselves into a business that they could have avoid. I have been to an apple store just yesterday, always friendly enjoyable friendly visit, at one of the counters, I have picked up a brochure, and guess what was it? it was an ATT contract, data usage guide and requirements for New and Existing costumers. And in comparison to other existing planes ATT has with other phones this is the worst. Man, I forgot where am I at the moment, I couldn't realize that I'm in an Apple Store. It felt weird, $199 for an iphone is just a number, you'll pay the rest and more later on in the contract.

Posted by: amer | July 11, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I got to my local 02 store at 8:00 am this morning. There were only 10 people in front of me. The process was very quick, and I was out of the store, carrying my new 3G phone, within 1 hour.

But then I do live in England.

Posted by: Paul | July 11, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, doesn't that happen with all technology? And it's doubtful that they will lower the price on this one like the last, especially that soon.
Apple just does an awesome job marketing. Every company wishes they can get people lining up at the door for a new product like this.

Posted by: Adam | July 11, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. Apparently getting an iPhone is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Get a grip. How often do you get to own something that is both productive and genuinely fun to use? How often do you get to be part of an event?

You've got to twist reality pretty hard to turn a fun time buying a fun thing into proof that mankind is decadent and a puppet to the whims of greed and marketeers.

Posted by: Falkirk | July 11, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

We in the south east do not suffer from the "I got to have it" bug as much as the west coast and NYC people.

I just cannot fathom standing in line for something today, that you can walk in and buy with no line, next tuesday.

How sad of a life these poor people must have that in oder to justify their existence, they will willingly stand for hours, just to kneel and pray at the alter of consumerism. When I see some young teen or 20 something flashing about with their latest gadget, bluetooth in their ear, rudely and loudly talking so as to draw attention to themselves, I just shake my head and pity them.

I wouldn't stand in line for a free iphone, let alone line up to shell out $200+ and a 2 year contract to a lousy network.

Who are you trying to impress? Are you that shallow that a mere gadget justifies, and villifies your existence?

Posted by: SouthEast and Happy | July 11, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

It occurred to me while I was in the shower that my previous Handle could be interpreted as supporting the horrible tragedy of 9/11. No one deserves to be subjected to that level of violence. When I came up with "BurnTheTower" I was thinking more along the lines of 'Fight Club'.

Posted by: MyLastPost | July 11, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

So a person needs a phone to complete their life. For three months they will be the center of attention at parties, street corners and coffee shops. And then reality sets in. Saturation. The person is again just a phone number in a sea iPhones.

If a person needs that much attention, they need a program, not a phone.

Old gods vs. new gods. The difference - New technology gods and the people who worship them are always concerned they will be forgotten tomorrow afternoon. Chances are very good they will.

Posted by: John | July 11, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Mark,

You're hopeless... I'd love to continue this pointless debate, however I must get to class.

Since you spend so much time in a hospital already, I'm assuming you're there now, or at least should be. It's good to know you have time to argue in a silly blog and make sure Americans are getting the health care they deserve and desperately need.

Posted by: Burning | July 11, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

So, let's see:

Don't get in line because you can wait a while and not have to spend as much time later.

OK then:

What other ways in which people choose to spend their personal time when they could be doing something "productive" should be avoided?

Movies seem like a waste of time. Hey - why watch sports? (I don't..) Look at the unfathomable hours spent by people watching "their" team.

I've got some advice for you: Don't waste your time grasping at straws writing about how others should spend theirs.

And for those of you talking about how ashamed people should be for not giving more to those in need: That's a slippery slope. I personally feel there is no greater importance than that of medical and scientific research, but $100 here and there compared to the (again, unfathomable) amount of our children's inheritance and future earnings our country squanders domestically and abroad doesn't even approach the universe in which its statistical insignificance hides.

Posted by: Andrew Turner | July 11, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

how about accepting different strokes for different folks?

I'm sure I wouldn't agree with all your priorities.

Perhaps you need to get a life and stop focusing on other peoples obsessions?

Posted by: ne and cranky | July 11, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from the local ATT store. I was #42 on line when at about 8:20 the ATT guy announced they only had 40 iPhones today. Oh well, guess I'll get mine whenever...

Posted by: Russ | July 11, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Why don't the two of you meet for coffee somewhere? You might find out you go to the same gym, like the same sports team and have a lot in common.

Or do you both prefer to hide behind your screens and spam this thread with things you would never say in person.

The Internet is such a wonderful thing. It let's people hide and say things they would never say in person. Blogs are full of this kind of crap.

Posted by: John | July 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to an apple store tomorrow. I won't deal with the local (Cville) AT&T store.

Posted by: a tiny bit smarter? | July 11, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

So we now have people arguing over a blog, about people that spend too much time worry about what others do who spend a lot of time waiting in line for a new release product that will be the same product a person can get at a later date and then say they were there first. Is there some special marking on the first day phones? Do you get a special " I waited 15 hours for my first 3g iphone" sticker or wallpaper?

The average window for newness is now about 45 days. So for a month and a half you can be the top of the heap, the big cheese, the top banana. The you will have to do it all over again.

Thank you for filling my days with humor and laughter.

Posted by: Slippery Slope | July 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

You say don't rush out to buy. But you are awarding bonus points for the first to post from a new iPhone. Talk about mixed messages.

BTW, what are the bonus points worth? Is that equivalent to WashingtonPost Points? :D

Posted by: Bart | July 11, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Buying an iPhone is not a moral issue. Considering everyone almost needs a cellphone at this point, it certainly makes sense to mix needs with wants. As opposed to having a cheap phone and a bunch of jewelry.

Posted by: Tim | July 11, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIm02 | July 11, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I just wanted to say, "ADRIAN"

Basically we will argue over anything as a species.

The web offers anynomity and that allows people to spout off in ways that they wouldn't face to face.

Phone, no phone, whats the difference?

The actuallity of it is that the longer we respond to hese posts the more time we spend on the page, the more of a chance we will click a link to an ad and boom, they make more money.

We are all just part of the marketing machine. Maybe Ted K. had the right idea, he just went about it the wrong way.

Technology was supposed to assist us, now it enslaves us.

Posted by: Rocky | July 11, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Waiting in line within the Apple Store in Providence, RI right now. Got here at 6:45am, Got into the store about 9:00am and now waiting in a short line within the store. I do all my work on Apple computers, so I'm happy to get a phone that will be fully compatible. I'm upgrading from a basic cellphone to the iphone, so I can keep my web based business (www.kidoinfo.com) up-to-date all the time:

Posted by: Kidoinfo | July 11, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I am a current iphone owner. If apple would have upgraded the camera's megapixels, I probably would have upgraded to the new iphone. I guess they want to give people a reason to buy the iphone again next year. O well.

Posted by: B2DAC | July 11, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Christian | July 11, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Ted K? that's your role model?

great.

Did mommy and daddy pay for everything including that LA education where they taught you all that anti american nonsense. Now no one cares you have a poly sci degree and you are angry you can't get an iphone.

Posted by: jim02 | July 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd wait, but my contract with Sprint expired last week and my current hardware is garbage.

My advice: Bring a friend and some coffee (probably latté), talk about something meaningful, and you won't have wasted any time at all.

Now,

@Burn...whatever

Don't blame people for seeking a palliative diversion from the misery of life, because then you would have to condemn yourself for wasting time on your computer, reading and posting to a blog that makes no difference to anything.

If you want to make a difference, go do something about it instead of clogging.

Posted by: Blackheart | July 11, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Apple loyalists are wonderful for the economy - thank you! Everything Apple is "great", but paradoxically, after a couple months, they're not satisfied with what they have. Keep upgrading, keep spending! Keep replacing! (But please don't give any thought to your own contribution to waste over time)

Posted by: Mark C. | July 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Even though the iPhone 3G isn't the same kind of brand-new thing the first iPhone was,"

You are sooo wrong. the App store and GPS will change everything. It will be a culture-changing event... and it starts today. In 5 years we'll be saying "remember when you had to use a -computer- just to look up something"

Posted by: Brian Williams | July 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Stood in line for 45 mins at an AT&T store and then was told they only had 45 phones, BUT we could order one and get it in 4-7 business days. That would have been good info for the first 45 mins I stood in line behind 75 people.

Posted by: D | July 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I love Apple products and have used them for over 5 years. However, I am so incredibly disappointed in their switch over to "Mobile Me", that I am wary about any more. Something that was suppose to take a few hours as been over 24 hours with no means to access mail, webpages etc though websites. The customer service on this has been non-existence and moreover, no one was told when the switch was going to happen. Certainly if someone spent time perusing MAC boards, then they might have discovered it on accident, but if you are going to shut down access to email for over 24 hours, especially email that costs $100 a year, then you sure as hell better let your customers know.

Posted by: Alexandria | July 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious. All these people casting their holier-than-thou judgment on folks who are excited about a cool gadget. I assume you people have sold all every unnecessary item in your life and given all the money to charity? I'm sure that you've never, ever gotten excited about some inanimate object in your life before? I suppose you eat rice for dinner every night because consuming anything extravagant would be an insult to all of the starving people in the world? How about you just accept that we all have different wants and needs and that your way of living isn't necessarily the only way of living?

Posted by: getoveryourself | July 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

ALL I PHONE USERS, GET A LIFE. F THE I PHONE. YOU BRAINLESS SHEEPS. ITS JUST A STUPID PHONE. WAITING IN LINE TO GET RAPED BY APPLE AGAIN. DIDN'T YOU LEARN THE FIRST TIME APPLE CAME ON YOUR FACE AND CALLED IT RAIN.

Posted by: joe | July 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the things that some people actually argue over. To the liberals that posted about saving the world instead of waiting in line - please, do the entire world a favor and JUST SHUT UP!

Grats to all that have gotten their new iPhone. I will be getting one on Wednesday.

Posted by: Snwodog | July 11, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Rob,

You are Liz Kelly!!! For shame WaPo, fix your links!

Posted by: Dorkus | July 11, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's not a "holier than thou attitude". We're just laughing at folks who would consider themselves sophisticated and enlightened, not realizing they are as caught up in the vortex of consumerism.

It's a testament to Apple's design and marketing departments that this "excitement!!" happens each and every year. Sure, gadgets are great, but don't you see the folly of this yearly PR launches? MadTV did, and it's mockery was on-the-money.

Reporters and psychologists might follow purchasers of technology (esp. Apple buyers) for a couple years to see how much their Apple device changed their lives.

Posted by: we ARE over ourselves | July 11, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

WAIT . . . FUGAZI IS REUNITING?!!!!

Posted by: OD | July 11, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, I am so bored with all this iPhone hype.

Come on guys, it's just a freaking phone.
Let's just bomb Iran or something.

Posted by: Neil | July 11, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It's not just a phone ...

that's the whole thing .. it's a computer in your pocket ..

It has the potential to change everything .. in a good way if its used right ...

Posted by: Eric | July 11, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I was in line to buy an iphone and didn't get one. I was about 50th in line and shortly after 8 a.m. a store employee told us that they didn't have enough phones for everyone in line. It seems like they had maybe 30-40 tops. Two people actually started crying. I was disappointed, but I didn't cry. I did, however, go back to my car and put on lipstick to make myself feel better. I wiped it off before I got to work, but for some reason it always makes me feel happy when I put it on.

Posted by: Thomas Jacobs, East Windsor, New Jersey | July 11, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

hey boys and girls,

i hope you like the iphone

Posted by: stebe jovs | July 11, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Neil on this one.

Posted by: FedUp | July 11, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

First post from the new iPhone. This thing is the awesome.

Posted by: iPhoneUser | July 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

You waited in line to buy an iPhone and the best thing you can do is post a comment on this blog? Yeah, thank God for the iPhone. What would the world do if we couldn't post comments to a blog from our phone.

Posted by: Get a life | July 11, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

People do what you want, that is what makes this country so great. We have the option of not listening to the jerks that want to rule every facet or your life.

God Bless Freedom!

Posted by: Don't be a jerk! | July 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

i can't believe i just wasted 5 minutes of my life skimming these posts. I would have gladly spent 10 times as long in a line rather than read these pathetic rantings by ALL. And yes, i can't believe i just added to this.

Posted by: eric | July 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Stood in line for 2 hours, one of the first ones to get one. The store only had 40. Sucks for a lot of others.

Posted by: Got Mine | July 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"It's not just a phone ...

that's the whole thing .. it's a computer in your pocket .."

Exactly! I have the original and will probably upgrade in a few months, but the reason I got the iphone in the first place was not to use as a phone but to surf the web and get email from everywhere. And judging by the studies that are out, I'm not alone. More people use the iphone for things other than as a phone than with any other phone.

It's not a phone. It's a computer that can double as a phone. And it is something that most iphone owners quickly learn they can't live without.

Posted by: Gary | July 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I love how people are so quick to make assumptions on why people line up for iPhones. I can almost guarantee these haters work on a pc. Have you ever considered the benefit this technology has on the world. New inventions only create more room for free thinking. I save two hours a day by having an iPhone because of its capabilities. Is that such a bad thing to stand in line for? So the next time you question somebody for waiting in line for an iPhone....go outside and look at your SUV and question "what the heck am I doing to make this world a more efficient , knowledgeable, and healthy environment to be in?" this message was written on an iPhone by the way. JJ out!

Posted by: JJ | July 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

After reading this blog, I really wish I had an iGun in the house.

Posted by: TJ | July 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Some of you people are nuts. Help people in need instead of lining up to get an iphone? Maybe apple should just go out of business and donate all it's money to make the world a better place. Get a life you hippy anti-capitalism pansies. People have businesses to make a profit, this isn't a communist society. With that kind of thinking we should all devote our lives so everyone can be equal. What a waste. Everyone has the opportunity, most people decide to throw it away.. As for the iphone I don't really want one, AT&T just doesn't cut it.

Posted by: dumb | July 11, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You half-wits criticizing those purchasing an iPhone are pathetic. Maybe if you understood that the increased productivity you get with an iPhone will in turn help you make more money, affording you to donate more if you so choose.

Of course, I would never donate to charity. I make plenty of money and spend it all on myself.

Posted by: Jesus | July 11, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Shame on the author for getting my hopes up for a Fugazi reunion. :). iPhone 2 = less exciting.

Posted by: Alex. | July 11, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"iPhone, the Segway of the internet superhighway"

Posted by: must...buy...latest....version... | July 11, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

got in line at 7:30am at the Apple Store in Clarendon and am STILL in line! We're also hearing that if you already have at&t and get a discount, you are supposed to go to an AT&T store. Will let you know, but there's currently a lot of angst and frustration in line right now

Posted by: rob | July 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Hi, i queued this morning in Bristol, England for an iphone, only to be told the 16gb was sold out. Apple have done a good job by panicking us and saying there will be low stock for a few months to come as i wouldnt have queued otherwise. Will have to wait a few weeks now, hopefully early reviews are good.

Posted by: Kevin (UK) | July 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I love that you referenced Fugazi!

Posted by: Greg | July 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

According to the manager at a store in Orlando, the AT&T activation system went down all across the country at around 9AM and was still down at 9:45AM when we left the line. They only had around 40 phones but the manager refused to tell us (against corporate policy he said) how many iPhones were available for sale.

Posted by: Max | July 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, it's just a (yawn) phone.

I have to give Steve Jobs credit though -- he's a master of marketing pseudocool to wannabes.

Posted by: JohnJ | July 11, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

This is really pointless, people (including the author of this article). If you need the features on the new iPhone, and you think you need/want them now, by all means go stand in line and get it, and enjoy. If not, don't. Just because one buys something *certainly* doesn't mean that they're caught up in "consumerism", for chrissakes.. it just means that they want to buy something for their own reasons. And since you all don't know what those reasons are, case-to-case, STFU. This holier-than-thou attitude is a lame cover for insecurity, and it shows.

I use my iPhone for Internet browsing for my business. Having 3G will save me huge amounts of time, which is worth money to me. So I'm going to stand in line for 1-2 hours, and it will save me that much time next week alone. Stick that in your attitude hole, people.

Posted by: iPhoneBizUser | July 11, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

You save two hours a day by surfing the net on your phone? How about don't waste two hours a day surfing the net. That will really save you two hours a day.

Posted by: JJ is an idiot | July 11, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How are people affording this iphone? Yes, actually buying the phone is cheaper but have you seen the monthly fee to use it? I don't know how people are affording to use the phone! What amazes me more is I see more younger people with these phones and I wonder who is paying for it. I'm guessing their parents but really with layoffs and money disappearing to the pump how in the world do people afford this kind of luxury today?

Posted by: iellie | July 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

OD, I was thinking the same thing!

Posted by: mudface | July 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

does anyone that went to wait for the iphone, (Kevin G.), know how many people walked out with one, or how many they had at the at&t store. I was planning on purchasing one but figured I could wait a couple days and go back like wednesday.

Posted by: skip | July 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Here is the iPhone line in Evanston IL this morning. Surprised me!

TO'B

Posted by: Tom O'Brien | July 11, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I work at an AT&T store on the East Coast. We received only 40 phones, although we aren't allowed/supposed to tell customers that number. My manager said all AT&T stores received 40 or under, except less than a dozen stores in major cities.

Posted by: Tad | July 11, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What's an iPhone?

Posted by: Tiny Mind | July 11, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

iPhoneBizUser,
Aren't we getting a bit sensitive? Stop wasting time and get back to work.

Posted by: Mr Pragmatic | July 11, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I got an iphone today...have to activate at home on iTune though because the servers were so backed up...wait time 3 hours.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Apple is now telling people that in order to get one of the remaining iPhones they must get a tattoo of an apple on their butt cheeks.

Posted by: Sarah | July 11, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Good Lord -

So some people want to spend their day waiting in line. Have Americans become so socialist in thinking that we have to bash other peoples' decisions?

Stop whining about other people's decisions and get a life. If you want to criticize capitalism move to Cuba. Then you can get an iPhone when the government allots one to you.

Posted by: Brian | July 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Eric:
What you don't realize being an Apple fan boy and all is that the iPhone isn't the first "PC" in your pocket.

I had the Cingular 8125 2.5 years ago before the first gen iPhone. That phone could do everything and more than the original iPhone. then in April I bought the AT&T Tilt and guess what, it has everything and more than the iPhone 3G. GPS, 3G blah blah blah.

Posted by: Jim | July 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If people didn't buy stuff they didn't need there would be a lot more people who need charity.

Posted by: Peter | July 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow. You kids are...
"Passionate"? "Excitable"? "Have entirely too much time on your hands"? iPhones and cancer wards? Where do you guys come up with this crap?

Have had my iPhone since the first week they came out. Bought an iMac because I was impressed with the creativity and brilliant simplicity that Apple created in the iPhone. Won't stand in line, though - not even for a reunion tour. They'll be here in a couple of days at Apple on 5th Ave - just like last year. Although its probably safe to assume that those who bash, never owned (or cannot afford).

And I donate thousands a year because I don't need much to live life - except for maybe a really cool phone...

Posted by: Fred Zeppelin | July 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If military recruiters were smart, they would offer a free iPhone to anyone who comes in and enlists today.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq and Afghanistan have better wireless networks than AT&T.

Posted by: TJ | July 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

My store ran out of iPhones while I was still in line. Here is a pic of me after finding out I wasn't going to get my iPhone: http://bp0.blogger.com/_wDhb-K3haGY/SBpQIf_P03I/AAAAAAAAAH8/mK-4d-0Y3Xg/s1600-h/mattymonkey2.jpg

Posted by: Matt DeRienzo | July 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I ran past the apple store in NY at6:30, there was a bit of a queue but more barriers and cops nearly.
I have an I phone, and allowing for
a few shortcomings and the fact that AT&T have
a monopoly on it, I thinks its great and I use it
constanty in my job, whether it be for mail or directions
to customer addresses.
But yes , I do think its a bit sad that
one might feel the need queue for an item
like this. It's not like its a food line in Somalia
or tickets to fly to the moon.
yes I'd have to concur 'get a life'
and yes I will get the 3G version eventually

Posted by: murrnua | July 11, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

There is a lot of projection going on here- a lot of assuming. It's a problem.

Some people ****ENJOY**** waiting in line for a new product and the product plays a TINY part in that; You get to meet people with similar likes as you, you get great conversation, share the anticipation & experience with others, and in the end you get a neat new toy to play with. I experienced just this waiting in a line of 1,000+ at my local bookstore when the last Harry Potter came out. It was such a festive atmosphere and I was surrounded by people that were as enthusiastic to read the books as I was. It was actually a lot of fun. I don't see how gadget-enthusiasts would be any different.

Posted by: James | July 11, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Its funny that its full of haters. Nobody is here to defend themselves because they are all in line getting their iPhone. hahaha Take advantage haters!!! I'll be upgrading my iPhone after work. Best phone ever!!! Microsoft is losing its grip. If all you haters used one you would know what we are talking about!!!

Posted by: Cali | July 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the App store offers an iPhone program (nominal charge) to help save the world. The world peace functionality has some issues, though.

Posted by: it's been done | July 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

OK, James, now go back to your mom's basement and put on your Luke Skywalker costume.

Posted by: Uh James | July 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Whatever idiot is flaming Mark for spending money on an Iphone must be perfect. I'm sure they do not drive a nice car or live in a nice house or have anything that is not a necessity. Well I for one, don't donate any of my money to charity. I don't spend any time at the hospital helping sick kids. I drive a Hummer H2 and waste a ton of gas, purchase things like jet skis, motorcycles and just about any toy I want. Flame away at people like us, that's fine. Some of us like to spend the money we work hard for. We all can't be at perfect as you and give it all away. I got my new Iphone 3G this morning and I'm super happy about my $300 purchase!

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Here is a pic of me after finding out I wasn't going to get my iPhone: http://bp0.blogger.com/_wDhb-K3haGY/SBpQIf_P03I/AAAAAAAAAH8/mK-4d-0Y3Xg/s1600-h/mattymonkey2.jpg "

Which one is Matt, and which one is the monkey?

TM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

To those who fret about people feeding the "vortex of consumerism"... please come back down to Earth. The word you're looking for is "fanboyism", complaining about "consumerism" makes you sound like a class-A d-bag. I would love to have an iPhone but I'm about to drop ATT because I don't get a signal in my new apartment. Getting phone service from ATT is like getting room service at Gitmo.

Posted by: Optimus Dime | July 11, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Waiting in line in Providence as well. I'm sure I'll be able to get one tomorrow easily but nothing feels better than owning it first." - Posted by Christian

"And it is something that most iphone owners quickly learn they can't live without." - Posted by Gary

How sad for you two.

Posted by: Mary | July 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Apparently all that sun has addled the brains of someone in the Southeast. Not all the people of the region, mind you, just the one with the delusion that he speaks for all. Who in their right mind would equate purchasing a product with justifying one's existence? Is that what the poster is attempting to do when he goes to the store? Strange. Rather than buying an iphone, he'd be better off purchasing a dictionary and looking up "vilify" and "capitalism.

Posted by: Diane | July 11, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I just got hit in the face with an iPhone by some idiot. Right in the nose/mouth. Anyway, it's a little more chaotic than I was expecting. Here is a pic of my face after getting hit that iPhone: http://www.facebook.com/people/Kevin_Leitzell/560628811

Posted by: Kevin | July 11, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Why get an iPhone. Blackberry is way better.

Posted by: Chops | July 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

After reading all this ranting..... I want a MePhone too!

Posted by: djohh | July 11, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The iPhone is not the only phone of it's kind, and it's not a new concept either.
Apple is just the first ones to have such a widespread desire for it. Likely because of their devote following and large consumer base from other types of products. (iPod, iMac etc..)
Phones that are "computers in your pocket" are not a new concept and were around long before the orginal iPhone (Blackberry anyone?), they were just not as consumer oriented as the iPhone.
My current phone can do pretty much everything an iPhone can do (although it doesn't have a touch interface), it cost me less than an iPhone and my monthly charge is under $30.

Posted by: Mike | July 11, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The Steve Jobs festival. Always something that will "revolutionize everything" and he does it each and every year to whoops of delight. He's the Ron Popeil of tech (no offense, Ron!)

Posted by: set it...and forget it!! | July 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Okay, this is OUTRAGEOUS people! nevermind standing in line for an iphone, I just wasted an hour on the internet trying to confirm a FUGAZI REUNION that isn't happening. more lies spread by the MSM!!! ARRRGHH!!!

Posted by: OD | July 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I bought a phone in Owensboro KY and their itunes in store was messed up. So they told us to take them home and activate them. Well I have been trying t=for 2 hours to activate my phone without success

Posted by: Danwiser | July 11, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I love the posts calling people stupid for other people being offensive. I appreciate Apple and the iphone for making the market competitive. I'll buy a smartphone next year (maybe the iphone) when the market is saturated. I don't mind enthusiasm for new products, but let's be clear the iphone isn't a full-featured computer and also isn't the only game in town.

Is anybody else a little concerned that AT&T raised the data plan price $10/month along with this release? I imagine that's going to be the case with all their smartphones now.

Posted by: irony | July 11, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Woah

What the F**K is an iphone?

Posted by: DW | July 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Reading over these comments was a good laugh! Anyhow, I've been waiting for the 3G version before buying an iPhone, and I think I may very soon. Like someone said, it's like having a computer in your pocket.

Posted by: Nathan | July 11, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm all about getting a phone I can actually do work on. Unfortunately, I have a problem with missing a week of said functionality because I have to send it off for a new battery. There are plenty of other options - just as functional - just without the logo.

Posted by: Lizzie | July 11, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I am having problem upgrading old iphone to the 2.0 software. In the middle of process there is an unknown error at the iTunes store. Now my old iphone is stuck without having completed the new software install. I have been on phone waiting for support over an hour on hold.

I thinks they have a problem!!

Posted by: Steve | July 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

This is the latest and greatest which for all of those consumer electronic retail stores means a nice boost to their bottom line for people that make a sub-average wag. Tough being in sales typically in the retail industry to have such a loyal and excitable follwing instead of picking over pennies like most other phones are trying to grab.

Posted by: NT | July 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

WOW! $200 for the phone + $70 (not including taxes and fees) per month. That works out to about $2000 over the two year contract.

Posted by: Don | July 11, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

After reading all the pre-release hype, I figured it was better to wait until the rush was over. So, I got pre-approved on the credit, gave my card to the sales rep at the AT&T store down the block, and told him to call me when he was slow.

Posted by: Andrew | July 11, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

iellie, you're right, but the bigger joke is the "Twice as fast, half the price" slogan. With the monthly fees added in, the phone will cost a buyer $200 more over the 2 year contract than the older model.

Posted by: iClone | July 11, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

i'm curious, and maybe others are too -

i've reverted to a 'pay-as-you-go' plan for my cell phone.

if i purchase an 'old' iPhone, can i use it with this kind of plan from AT&T?

i'd like to try out the technology, but i don't need the monthly charges.

thanks!

Posted by: tom rusch | July 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

/Users/edsylvis/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jul 10, 2008/IMG_3954.JPG

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm....

Let me get this straight...YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE THE PHONE BEFORE YOU CAN LEAVE the stores - AT&T and Apple?

If this is True, I guess this will cut down on people tryting to buy more than one and selling them...let's just say...ONLINE.

Posted by: * | July 11, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

What exactly does AT&T charge monthly for iphone use? I already have AT&T and only pay about $35 for my current phone.

Posted by: Diane | July 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I got mine today. Took less than 15mins and its great!
I blog about it here.

Posted by: Brian | July 11, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Yup, over $2000 with the two year contract that you are forced to buy, for 3g service mainly in just the metro areas on a device with about 1/2 the battery life, with an added charge for texting (I think I heard that, too)...with batteries that you can't swap out in a crunch.

(Wonder what folks would say if this exact device were being marketed by Microsoft?)

Posted by: not..standing..in..line | July 11, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Hello all,

Thank you all for your enlighten contributions and 'civilized' disagreement.

But what is Apple up to? Should the likes of Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson be worried.

Is Apple now a Phone or Software company?

Tack!

Posted by: Ben | July 11, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Computer in your pocket? I just thought you were happy to see me.

Posted by: B | July 11, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sandy | July 11, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

After reading most of the comments. I would suggest that many of you should spend your time learning to speak and write properly and a lot less time on the phone playing games.

Posted by: cngspost | July 11, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow, bunch of Holier Than Thou, judgemental jerks on here. I understand the idea that you shouldn't blindly follow the herd, but just because something's popular doesn't make it evil. Do people need it? No. But you hypocrites are posting a message on a website from your computer that you don't need. So, get bent.

Now, back to what we should ACTUALLY be commenting on...

How's the phone??

Posted by: Captain Jimbo | July 11, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Capt. Jimbo -- don't be so judgmental

Posted by: Nemo | July 11, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The iSheep who waited in line today were "rewarded" with extra hours of waiting, because the activation servers are down. Way to go AT&T/Apple!

Posted by: Tom1 | July 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I just waited for 3 hours in the line at AT&T and the worker their said that they were out of iPhones to the couple in front of me, so then i went in and figured i would order it, and the manager approaches me and said they do have ONE left. I went to the cashier and told him i was eligible for an upgrade, he said no your not the next uprgrade is JULY 13, 2008, and they wouldn't let it slide. I waited in line only to realize i have to wait 2 more days..so mad!!

Posted by: Angry | July 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"After reading most of the comments." That is not a complete sentence. You better find a copy of See Spot Run before you start mocking other people's writing.

Posted by: cngspot needs to go back to skool | July 11, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

To the person that said nothing was better in the world than being the first to get an Iphone....that is a sad sitution.

I personally wouldn't stand in line for anything like this...I don't do lines...I am a conservative and I don't believe in waste...not time (time is money) and not money. I am a bargin hunter...not a keeping up with the Jones type. To those that want to stand in line...who can not do without the latest gadget...more power to you. If it is that important to you, then do what you must.

All the while that I am thinking this is crazy...people are crazy to go nuts over a cell phone....I laugh as my parents (in their 60s) are standing in line in Stephenville, Texas since 8 this morning waiting to buy 2 i phones. They spent half the work day yesterday on the phone trying to find a local store that would have them....got up and drove an hour...stood in line...and 10 minutes ago got their phones. Now they have about a two hour wait to get them all set up.

They are crazy....and I am laughing at them. It is not socialist to have an opinon....it is freedom...

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

here's my experience of purchasing the white 3G iphone this morning

**Business customers with corporate discounts BEWARE!
you will not be able to purchase the iphone at an Apple store. here's my recap

Posted by: Paul | July 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I have really baggy pants on today.

Posted by: LC | July 11, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

It is funny to hear people's hatred for Bill Gates when Jobs is a much bigger ass hole.

I am sure that Jobs is laughing at all the little people who are wasting their lives in line to give him more money.

Posted by: Steve Jobs is an ass | July 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

You said:

"who cares about the haters on this board. whine whine whine...go buy a stupid prius and put an obama sticker on it and then go get your organic garbage at whole foods."

actually, that's the exact demographic for people who want iphones. i suggest you get another phone, yo.

Posted by: pbsers | July 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Karen

If that's what your parents want to do and what makes them happy, why call them crazy. Everyone is not the same, some people would spend $60 for a bottle of good scotch, some people would spend $60 on a dinner, some people would spend $60 to fill up their gas tank. Why waste your time writing a response to an iphone blog if you think the whole idea is stupid? Amazing.

Posted by: Chuck | July 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Dag, man, the iPhone is ill. Word.

Posted by: Harrison Von Whitie | July 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Man. We went 100 million years without computers or the net. There are hungry life forms in the universe. Which idiots are wasting their lives bashing iPhone users on their computers when they would be doing more good for the planet by just shooting themselves and leaving their rotting bodies to be fed upon by more intelligent life forms (maggots and bacteria)??

Posted by: lol | July 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The only people who hate the iPhones are the ones that dont have them. I must admit I had the "hate bug" until Jan 08 when i got one. It, the hate, was so much easier to ignore after that. This is a good study in social psychology. We are all specimens.

Posted by: FredK | July 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Chuck,
My response took all of five minutes...not hours in a line. It was done while multitasking and making money lol. I can get that phone on ebay for 300.00 right now...and have it tomorrow.

It didn't make them happy...they have called twenty times to the office today....griping about the lines...griping because they can't get it activated...I see no happiness here...I see a morning spent miserable...for phones that still don't work...and in a year they will want another. Crazy....it is. Anyone that pursues happiness in a cell phone...is crazy hahahahhahahaha.

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Why stop at buying iPhone to help people in the hospitals? Why not stop drinking for a week? $200 spending on iPhone won't change anything and you know it.

Posted by: ICanWaitIPhone | July 11, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

To those who have a problem with the iPhone... I think your problem is with capitalism.. you might want to re-examine.

I think it's kinda funny that so many people have such harsh feelings and words toward people who simply love a company and their products.

Did you ever stop to think that an iphone might actually inspire more good work and good will than the money it takes to purchase and maintain one ? it's possible.

Posted by: Steve | July 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I bought an iPhone just because I like how it makes me feek when it vibrates.

Posted by: Tingly | July 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thats insane that people will wait that long in line.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Time is Money!" Yeah, it is and the Iphone saves me time and lets me work on the road. I made the $300 back I spent on the Iphone back in less than 45 mins of owning it. Maybe Mr. Productive should get himself one!

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

my laptop lets me work on the road...and it has a bigger screen. lol I am not a mister. I have no problem with capitalism or with purchasing products that are needed and well used to run a business....it is the standing in line for hours or even over night that makes no sense to me. I believe in making money...but tell me honestly....if you had a laptop instead of that iphone...would you have been able to make the same money? If not...why?

So your iphone is working?

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"why do we need to give social security numbers in order to have the at&t service?"

Because they run your credit before they give you a phone line, and if you have not-so-perfect credit, you pay up, big time.

Posted by: JM | July 11, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Until you give up all your worldly possessions and turn yourself into a starving child of the Sudan with cancer, I will not recognize your need for an iPhone

Posted by: what is needed! | July 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Waiting in line to purchase an iphone is not a sign of immoral material greed or done in replacement of giving to charity-but a sort of celebration of the ingenuity of man.

Let's compare the average productivity (i.e. enhancement of human life) in a years time of the average iphone "line waiter"/user vs. his critic...or how much he gives to charity vs. the complainers.

Those of you who use jealousy rather than reason to justify your complaints might be surprised.

Posted by: JR | July 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It was 70 years in 150BC and it is 73 years today. Wow...what an advancement.

Posted by: Average life span | July 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

no, seriously...Fugazi is reuniting??? me looking on web and not see anything. Not Fair. Don't tease please.

Posted by: waitaminute | July 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The comment by poster "Uh James" is a fantastic example to follow up what I was trying to explain about ignorant assumptions.

It's easy for the ignorant to assume people that buy iPhones are spoiled kids who's parents pay for everything and they don't do charity or empathize with peoples.

It's easy for the ignorant to assume if 1,000 people wait a couple hours for a book they must be socially-awkward costume-wearing role players. I wasn't waiting for an iPhone but at the book debut it was a good mix of college students and adults and a couple kids in costumes. But of course it's much more fun to assume otherwise- even if it makes you look like an ass to the people that know better.

Posted by: James | July 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

How do you spell loser?

"The iphone rocks. Who cares about the haters on this board. whine whine whine...go buy a stupid prius and put an obama sticker on it and then go get your organic garbage at wholefoods

Posted by: JIm02 | July 11, 2008 9:03 AM "

Posted by: JIm02 | July 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I could do it with a laptop and a home pc, but it's realy hard to carry those in my pocket. Oh and I live in Boynton Beach, FL and waited in line for about an hour this morning.

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

My laptop fits in my purse....along with a cell phone. I understand though....it is a guy thing....don't wanna carry the kitchen sink around in your pocket. lol

is your iphone working?

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Got to the Columbia, MD at&t store (Dobbin Rd.) at 7:15 am and there were already about 60 people in line. At about 8:15 am, the manager came out and was counting folks, then ended up at me and told me (and the people behind me) that they only had 60 phones and would likely run out before we got in.

I want an Internet compatible phone, and I like the touch screen and Apple products in general (though I don't own any at the moment); plus my Nokia phone broke a week ago, and I'm already an at&t customer anyway, so I decided to stay in line. I had a camp chair with me, a book and a water bottle, and it was a pleasant 70ish degrees out, so I was comfortable. At about 9:30, a barista from the Starbucks next door brought out a tray of free iced lattes, and the at&t manager brought out bottles of water, which was nice.

I got into the store around 10:30, and they started processing my order for an iphone that is supposed to arrive in 7 - 10 business days. In the meantime, they have lent me a Nokia loaner phone. Then the power went out in the entire block, so they had to throw everyone out of the store. (By that point, everyone who had been in line was in the store anyway.) They told me that they'd finish my order when the power is back on. So at least I have a working phone for a week or two, and hopefully will have an iphone soon.

Posted by: Rebecca | July 11, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

To the troglodytes who seem to resent the i-Phone: Apple's new phone is a culture-changing technological breakthrough, perhaps the most important consumer/commercial product since the advent of mass produced PCs.

To the enlightened: This is a must have device whose utility will increase exponentially via the avalanche of incredible apps that are headed its way.

To the thoughtful: Buy Apple stock now because at about $170 it is the best bargain on Wall Street. Be sure to divert some of your profits to charity. By the way, it is essential to deprive Iran of the i-Phone to remind them of the displeasure of the civilized world.

Posted by: squarf | July 11, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

My phone was working before I left the Att store.

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

To all the people who seem to think the only reason why someone would purchase an iPhone, is to satisfy the insecure child inside, ask yourselves why you are posting on a message board about it at one in the afternoon, instead of doing something more productive yourselves. Im getting an iPhone becase: A. I need a phone B. It's the best phone. My purchase doesn't say anything more about me than the fact that I'm smart enough to figure out what the best product is in a given market. All this other stuff about shallow consumerism is pretty typical pot addled lefty wingnut BS and is part of the reason intelligent liberals havn't been taken seriously in this country since the freaking Carter administration...

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Chris....I am a die hard...Bush loving conservative....I think standing in line for hours for any product that I can buy over the internet is crazy.

I am tickled pink that the economy is such that hundreds of people can stand in line for hours to spend over 200.00 on a phone so they can have music, phone, and internet all together in something that fits in their pocket....I am impressed with the marketing and disappointed that they were not techically prepaired for today.

I am online at 1 because I can be...and still be productive. I get bored waiting for others to get their stuff done...and this ammuses me inbetween.

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Glad your phone was working....many many are not....seems the system crashed.

Posted by: Karen | July 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Lucky for Apple, they could take a dump in a bag, name it the Ipoo, and idiots would still line up to buy it. I for one, will avoid their overpriced merchandise, and stick to things that work and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Posted by: Cliff | July 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Iphone vs voyager
Iphone - no pic/video messaging, no removable battery, no external memory, limited games, no QWERTY keypad
Voyager has all these things, costs less, and is on the Verizon Network (more reliable)
My question is this....what can you get from an Iphone that you can not get from another device?

Posted by: See4urself | July 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I just got back from Clarendon and checking out the Apple Store. There's still a line past Barnes and Noble (pretty far for those that haven't been to that shopping area). The Apple employees have been out and about giving out water and teas to people in line. Looks like the server issues really slowed things down.

You have to really want one to be waiting now 6+ hours in 86 degree heat.

Posted by: Tom M | July 11, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Your all losers for posting here! Except me.

Posted by: JF | July 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

haha JF made a funny

Posted by: See4urself | July 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm on my lunch break and decided to read the article. I actually forgot the iphone was coming out today I guess because I have a life. If you look at the people in line its a bunch of unattractive geeks who I bet have never been laid in their life. I say if the iphone gives them some peace and they've got the money then go ahead. Thank God I'm not a slave to consumerism.

Posted by: Carol | July 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Was in the line at the Bethesda story from 8 am. - 9:30 a.m. I got out of line when I realized that I probably wouldn't get a phone until about 1:00 p.m. I'll get mine over the weekend (I hope!).

Posted by: LG | July 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

FYI. Since I currently have an AT&T plan, the 8GB iPhone 3G costs $399, not $199. I was so angry I didn't buy one...

Posted by: Aspherical | July 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm just fine with the older model of the iPhone--although I got swindled out of $200 bucks! Oh well, for the hassle, the 2.0 update will have to suffice.

Posted by: Rashid | July 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

i have a three hundred dollar phone in my hands that doesn't work.

Posted by: another cow | July 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

No line for me. my worplace service provider is setting it up and delivering it on Monday morning!

Posted by: Patrick | July 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Carol --

Unfortunately, you seem to be a slave to narcissism.

Posted by: DHoltz | July 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No line for me. my workplace service provider is setting it up and delivering it on Monday morning!

Posted by: Patrick | July 11, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Today, I ordered a Samsung Instinct from Sprint, my current carrier, over the phone, no lines. I was eligible to buy it for $229 minus $100 rebate, net $129, and I was due for a new phone. Will it do everything the iPhone does? We'll see.

Posted by: Randy | July 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Patrick.....GOOD FOR YOU!!! If your lucky, the darn things will be working by then....LOL

Posted by: See4urself | July 11, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LG | July 11, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Randy

You made a wise equipment choice, although Sprint is not the best service

Posted by: See4urself | July 11, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

$2163.36 is a lot to pay for a phone for 2 years. But that's not the iphone- it's the RAZR I've got that won't even let me use my own music for ringtones.
And the same usage with the iphone? $1975, although even if it comes out more, consider the other things I don't have to buy now: I didn't buy the gps navigation system, portable star charts, an ipod, the portable guitar tuner, metronome, or internet service at the community health center I work at, so my savings with the iphone is actually quite nice. When it's all over, I will have an ipod touch (the inactive iphone).
I know there are competitor phones, but I'm not willing to spend the extra time learning a new system. I have borrowed my friends iphone, and it is very easy. Easy is worth a lot to me- I don't like being a full-time problem solver, as my ibm computer would like me to be. That time is probably the biggest savings I can think of.
I am not standing in line, though I do understand why people would enjoy that. It is because they are selfish. Just kidding, it is because anticipation and society are fun!
I am very excited about this phone! The only downfall is that when I drop my iphone I will be sad; when I drop my razr, I just try to kick it before it hits the ground to test my reflexes.

Posted by: Chad | July 11, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Okay!!! lets get a grip. Hurray for Apple for doing what they do best, both in product and service. Not to mention the advertising pushed to kick this one out in to the field. I don't own an Iphone or do I plan to get one soon....maybe later, but someone has to say YES! for this kind of technology. For those who need it, WOW, this is one's own personal choice, for those who admire it, again to each his own, but for those criticing those obtaining one in whatever legal way they can, please stop being so dramatic and full of yourself, as it comes across to us, who could care less if they stood in line or waited. Yeah, standing in line for a movie for one or two hours is the same. I am sure people have their own little reason for going at it in this manner, but we are not here to comment, ask if its going to change anything, But we should comment as to show our own inteligents. Will these people make a miraculous change in their life because you had the sense or lack of, to comment negatively on their behavior..Please. Leave these people to the their excitement, fun and whatever else buying an Iphone brings to them. Say again Thanks to the technology that we have now for someday it just may save your life. One of those people waiting in line just may keep you around just a bit longer with the help of that IPhone you so criticized. I know, sound pretty far fetch, but holding a plastic object in your hand and being able to communicate with another person around the world was not something that was imagined 50 years ago outside of a Science fiction movie... Enjoy the victories, ignore all the noise in between.

Posted by: budhuntr2 | July 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Okay!!! lets get a grip. Hurray for Apple for doing what they do best, both in product and service. Not to mention the advertising pushed to kick this one out in to the field. I don't own an Iphone or do I plan to get one soon....maybe later, but someone has to say YES! for this kind of technology. For those who need it, WOW, this is one's own personal choice, for those who admire it, again to each his own, but for those criticing those obtaining one in whatever legal way they can, please stop being so dramatic and full of yourself, as it comes across to us, who could care less if they stood in line or waited. Yeah, standing in line for a movie for one or two hours is the same. I am sure people have their own little reason for going at it in this manner, but we are not here to comment, ask if its going to change anything, But we should comment as to show our own intelligents. Will these people make a miraculous change in their life because you had the sense or lack of, to comment negatively on their behavior..Please. Leave these people to their excitement, fun and whatever else buying an Iphone brings to them. Say again Thanks to the technology that we have now for someday it just may save your life. One of those people waiting in line just may keep you around just a bit longer with the help of that IPhone you so criticized. I know, sound pretty far fetch, but holding a plastic object in your hand and being able to communicate with another person around the world was not something that was imagined 50 years ago outside of a Science fiction movie... Enjoy the victories, ignore all the noise in between.

Posted by: budhuntr2 | July 11, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Greenwood, Indiana. Got to AT&T one hour early to be 26th in line. They sold out of 16GB by the 12th person. Line ended up being 65. Last person to get an 8GB were 27th and 28th. Signed up for direct fulfillment.

Posted by: dave | July 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

i don't like that phone

Posted by: ed | July 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

People!!!!

It's just a phone.. (coolest phone) but who cares if they stand inline today or wait until next week? You should worry about how Obama is going to make events like -taking the day off and spending $200 for a cool phone- harder for all Americans. I say enjoy it while you can!

Posted by: Ben Hosterman | July 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I don't belong here, but a few weeks ago I bought a new Instinct. I'm a non-tech person and I love my new phone.

After all this hype, maybe people should know there's a new and intuitive alternative. I can't say enough about how much I love my phone!

Posted by: nancy | July 11, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I just used YOUR social security number and YOUR Visa to buy 3 iPhones! Thanks and god bless.

Posted by: randumness | July 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Back the year 1984 I was pretty disgusted at the famous Apple commercial that showed the masses of PC users as brainwashed stooges and implied that somehow Apple was a force for liberation. What was obvious was that Apple was trying to brainwash people into thinking that their personal consumer fetish objects somehow helped people to be more 'enlightened' or 'free' - even though in reality Apple always had tighter control over their hardware and software than the PC clone side of the fence. Fast forward 24 years and it's obvious that Apple's propaganda machine continues to be highly successful - even as the companies products become more tighly locked down and the opposite of 'free'.

Posted by: BobOran | July 11, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

gotta BlackBerry Curve - quitely goes about business does everything I want and need and can update to the to the Bold if needed. There's more to life than apple.
boyfromoz

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

iI idon't iknow ihow ianyone ican isay ithis ihas ianything ito ido iwith ismart imarketing?

Posted by: MikeyHi | July 11, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

New rule: If you're going to insist that people should spend their money on charity instead of a consumer product, you have to be working for the Red Cross in Malawi. Deal?

(But I have to say, the whole plan fiascos with AT&T are pretty sketchy.)

Posted by: Neutral | July 11, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Next Year the I-phones will be half off and come with free 'Classic' I-pods. There will be other providers as well, and not just 2-year plans. But of course, that means one is patient and wise.

Posted by: On Hold, Slowskie Replays Recording, Ad infintum | July 11, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

who the hell is Fugazi? Did they waste their day standing in line for a stupid phone?

Posted by: blogreadingisawasteoftime | July 12, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

i just got back from waiting in line for the iphone. I went at 4, was there until 1:30 in the morning at which point they said AT&T shut down their servers.

I just stood in line for 10 hours with nothing to show for it besides a white reserved card. So at least I can go back tomorrow without waiting in line.

This is absolutely AT&Ts fault. Apple kept its store open with employees there until 1:30 AM to try to service us all. But, they simply couldn't because AT&T wouldn't let them.

This is the biggest failure on AT&Ts part that I have ever seen in this industry. Taking 30 minutes to an hour PER PERSON to activate. Absolutely unacceptable.

Posted by: Dylan | July 12, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Folks, I have to agree about not wanting to stand in a line. I feel that is just the most Stupidist Idea to me. I don't mind if anyone buys what tey want but, Bowing Down to consumerism shows just what people are like. Think of how technology gets held back now so that markets can be flooded with products that will be upgraded in next year so that same Sheeple go ouot and buy the same product all over again because it's been upgraded to a 5 mpx Camera or something similar. I have a Nokia N95 and I would regard it as being as good, if not better than the iPhone. At least I have inbuilt maps, video recording, stereo bluetooth (Shame on Apple), I could go on. Anyhow, to the people who have iPhones, Let me know if it was all worth it in a month or so..
damian07@bigpond.net.au

Posted by: Damian007 | July 12, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

I can just hear it now "Are you just happy to see me or is that an iPhone in your pocket"..

Posted by: Damian007 | July 12, 2008 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Btw to budhuntr2, It will be definately interesting to see how many iPhones save peoples lives....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 4:29 AM | Report abuse

some people want an iphone, some people don't. some people give back to their community and try to in some way make the world a better place. and some people go on and on piously about things in cyber space like they're a prophet or teacher for humanity, but they are only gazing in a mirror, impressed with how righteous they are. the iphone has nothing to do with this rather less than desirable human trait.

Posted by: dontbotherposting | July 12, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I was in the line (in Mexico) trying to buy the new iPhone in some store of Telcel (like AT&T in USA), surprise! they try to seld the phone about 900 usd!!! (this is because I already have a rental plan since 10 months ago). No 8GB plan, just 16GB.Of course, I didn't buy it.

Posted by: Agustin Perez | July 12, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The advertised price is of course not the real price unless you are eligible for an upgrade. This was not advertised when the announcement of the price was made. Reminds of of a used car lot. I was excited initially about the iPhone after the experience at the store finding out the cost difference and being told in the ATT store that there was nothing that they could do, that APPLE set the cost and if i did not like it i don't have to buy it. I understand that most providers subsidize the cost of phones, however this was not identified when the announcement was made and i feel like a real bait and switch was made here.

Posted by: bigtoke | July 12, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@BurnDaTower: Stop being a self-righteous, arrogant elitist.

Mark can give his money to whomever he wants, whether it be Apple or the pediatric cancer ward. The fact that he IS donating money to charitable causes is better than most, and quite possibly you.

If you want to continue being a communist, then there are several countries that will welcome you with open arms. The United States is not one of them. We don't share our wealth evenly. It's called capitalism. If you don't like it, go to North Korea and see how well it's working there.

Posted by: Aaron | July 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@bigtoke:

Watch the keynote again. The subsidy WAS disclosed. Stop whining.

Posted by: Aaron | July 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@dontbotherposting:

Follow the advise of your user name.

Posted by: Aaron | July 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

In reading newspaper reports across the US quoting potential buyers, I am amazed at how few have checked to see if they have the 3 G network in their city, let alone in their state.

For example, there is NO 3 G network in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont, but the 3 G IPhones are flying off the shelves in those states.

Posted by: Peter B | July 12, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Antoon | July 11, 2008 8:08 AM
"I wish I could see people lining up to donate some money for the people in need"

Why would that generate demand?

Posted by: tankilo | July 13, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Have been ultra confused about whether i will be happy with an iphone, or just pi**ed off with it because...
- cannot cut and paste
- cannot forward text messages
- cannot sync notes/tasks with outlook
- cannot sync with any other mail/contact client
- Mobile Me has, apparenlty, tons of problems and also will not sync notes/tasks
- there is no video ??? ...in a modern media phone...!!
- camera is only 2.0 MP when the world is has been talking 5MP for a while ! At least it should have been 3MP
- no flash on the camera !!
- GPS is 'assisted' and slow
- Battery is quite limited with 3G switched on
- Battery replacement will mean no phone for 3 or more days !!
- Cannot use my own ringtones or set my own sound files for alarms, alerts, etc.
- no photo SMS
- no voice dial
- no speed dial
- no flash in the browser - at least we should have the choice
- bluetooth is limited to certain devices
- cannot bluetooth files across to another device
- no video calls/conferencing

Is this a phone of 2008?

Agreeable that some of the items can be updated with software, but when? another year before we see a v2.x software update? or will we wait for iphone 3.0 only to find they still cannot do video or forward a text message !!

Can anyone really convince me that these are not functions that you'd expect to see and use in a modern mobile phone, especially one so expensive and so 'exclusive'... ?

Can anyone convince me to buy an iphone over the HTC Diamond or the Sprint? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Posted by: Yphone | July 14, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

TO NEIL: USA won't even bomb Iran even if UK and other European countries back him up. Wanna know why? Cause Bush and other European heads suck Iranian dick for oil and money .Now go ask who planned the 9/11 attack. It's a dirty world and money had become more important then human life. SAD but TRUE.

Posted by: I(ran)phone | July 15, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse