Posted at 3:26 PM ET, 03/22/2006

Cherries Jubilee

By Erin

The National Cherry Blossom Festival draws thousands of visitors to behold the fleeting flowers, but this event is not just a treat for your eyes. Several local restaurants are offering dishes, drinks and even full menus inspired by the cherry blossoms. Circle Bistro and Michel Richard Citronelle both incorporate cherries into succulent foie gras dishes, while Finn & Porter serves up a rib eye filet with cherry mole sauce. Charlie Palmer Steak ends dinner on a sweet note with cherry and dark chocolate brioche bread pudding and the Melting Pot stirs up flavors of the festival with a cherry chocolate fondue.

As for beverages, Firefly muddles cherries with ginger-infused brandy for the Viscontess cocktail, while Morton's mixes up a cherry blossom martini. If you're looking for a nonalcoholic mid-afternoon treat or a stop-off after battling the crowds for a glimpse of the vibrant buds, sip cherry-infused tea with cherry-based treats at the Willard Hotel's Peacock Alley. Found any other cherry treats? Post 'em below.

--Erin

By Erin  | March 22, 2006; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Long Live the Bee
Next: Rock On

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

No, no, no--the cherry blossom festival has nothing to do with cherries. It is about flowers, people, not fruit! Think admiring the pretty flowers, and leave fruit out of it! The Japanese must think we're crazy when they see menus like these. If a chef served a cake decorated with pink flowers in honor of the cherry blossoms, that would make sense, but not fruit! That's a complete non sequitur. These menus make about as much sense as serving a rabbit stew in honor of Easter!

Posted by: Ugly American | March 22, 2006 4:22 PM | Report abuse

mmmm... rabbit stew... great idea

Posted by: Bonjour! | March 22, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Rasika has fabulous house-made cherry infused bourbon -- great to sip over ice.

Posted by: Stephanie | March 23, 2006 9:39 AM | Report abuse

(A snowball's chance that "Stephanie" doesn't work for Rasika?)

Posted by: Ugly American | March 23, 2006 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Geeeez, Ugly American, calm down. Any excuse to have fruity drinks is a good one. And as long as we're projecting opinions onto Japanese people, *I* think the average Japanese would be like, mmm, fruity drink.

Posted by: h3 | March 23, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ugly American, don't be a Grouchy Washingtonian. There is plenty to get riled up about in life; the Cherry Blossom festival and fruity drinks are not in that lot.

Cheery cherries = good
Cherry blossom festival = good

So I don't get fresh cherries off the trees at the tidal basin...I'll live. So someone gives me a saucy, cherry-themed drink...I'll drink it.

Posted by: Oliver'sMom | March 23, 2006 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Somebody...anybody....suggest a resturant for Saturday night. I'm running the marathon Saturday and I want to eat like I've got a lobbyist paying for it Saturday night. In other words....I'll hit the Dubliner for cocktails and tunes after a fine meal!

Posted by: yankeekeeper | March 23, 2006 9:56 PM | Report abuse

For a very fine meal, I suggest Nora on 2132 Florida Ave, NW. Great food! $$$

Posted by: cyntdav | March 24, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey yankeekeeper, depending on where you'll be and what you're hungry for, Charlie Palmer Steak, Rasika and Tosca are all delicious and reasonably close to the Dubliner.

Posted by: Erin | March 24, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Washington, D.C. is already known for being ultra-conservative and uptight. Let's clean house and make nice for our Japanese visitors/friends please? It's only for two weeks. Yay!

Posted by: D.C. | March 24, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I highly recommend Singapore Bistro restaurant near Dupont Circle. It has GREAT sushi and a broad menu of Pan-Asian cucines,including Chinese, Thai,Vietnamese, Malysians,Japanese,and Singaporian etc etc. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxing. And the price is very moderate. It's very close to the Washington Momument,at 1314 19th St. ( 19 the st between L & M ). You can call 202-659-2660 for reservations or more details. Bon appetite!

Posted by: Andy | March 26, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Andy that Singapore Bistro is a great choice and place to have a pleasant dining experience, especially during this two-week Festival. Singapore's delicious sushi and DC's Cherry Blossom Festival are a match made in heaven. I am going there with a few friends today after the Cherry Blossom tour and picture-taking.

Posted by: Nicole | March 26, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) would be the approprate drink for the Cherry Blossom season. Drinking anything else would be like serving sushi instead of Turkey at Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Haru | March 27, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Washington's Cherry Blossom Festival & Singapore Bistro's Sushi Place

Are a Combination Made in Heaven

You are CHERRILY invited to have a pleasant dining experience at Singapore Bistro Restaurant (202-659-2660) during the Cherry Blossom Festival celebrations.

Singapore Bistro, heralded as Washington's Best Sushi Restaurant by the Washington Post, offers:

* Most authentic sushi delicacy with exotic and beautiful presentation

* Specialty in health-conscious sushi, including delicious low-carb and vegetarian sushi

* Complimented with a broad-range selection of Japanese sake wines

* A fusion of pan-Asian cuisines, including Chinese, Thai, Indonesia, ............(fill the blank)

* Conveniently located in DuPont Circle ( 1134 19th Street between L & M Street)

* In a friendly and relaxing atmosphere

* At a moderate price

Bon appetite!

Posted by: Johnson | March 27, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Chery Blossom Festival celebrates the original gift of the 3,000 cherry trees from the city of Tokyo to the people of Washington, DC. So why eat sushi at a restaurant with the name Singapore? Wouldn't you rather eat at a Japanese restaurant with perhaps a Japanese name?

Posted by: Haru | March 27, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Johnson. You had the address of Singapore Bistro restaurant wrong.

SINGAPORE BISTRO RESTAURANT
1314 19th St, NW
Washington DC 20036
202-659-2660

Now you can drink up all the Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) to your heart's content over there!

Cheers!

Posted by: Walter | March 27, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Haru, you don't need to be so narrow minded (or provincial) about the name of a restaurant! If Singapore Bistro offers great sushi, then just go try there and enjoy it. I am browsing their website at singaporebistro.com and I like what I see. My family will probably try it out sometime this week. Best of the luck to me.

:-)

Posted by: Mary Stewart | March 27, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I highly recommend Sushi Taro at

1503 17th Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20036, U.S.A. (17th & P street)
(202) 462-8999

It's walking distance from the Dupont Circle metro.

www.sushitaro.com

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2006 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I like Singapore Bistro very much as well. Here is the link to customer's comments about Singapore Bistro from the Washington Post website :

Average reader rating: (7 reviews)
Write your own user review

1-7 of 7

A Full-hearted Endorsement and Appreciation from a Hotel Concier
Posted by PeterWagner on Oct 21, 2005
I work as a concierge in a highly-reputable hotel in downtown Washington DC. When I was asked by our hotel guests for recommendation of Asian cuisine such as Chinese, Japanese, Thai,or Vietnamese food , I usually suggest Singapore Bistro as my top recommendation. The most gratifying experience I have had with Singapore Bistro is that the hotel guests usually come to me to thank me AFTER they enjoy a pleasant and satisfying dining experience at Singapore Bistro restaurant. It just warms my heart and makes my job an easier task. My kudos to Singapore Bistro.

Singapore Bistro's Super and Reliable Catering Services
Posted by koreaninventory2004 on Oct 13, 2005
I am a catering service coordinator/hospitality administrator for a medium-sized law firm in Washington DC. As recommended by a colleague from another law firm, I have used Singapore Bistro to provide catering services for our office meeting luncheons as well as entertaining the clienteles inside our offices . What I like the most about Singapore Bistro's catering services are the followings: food quality and presentation, attention to details, always on time, flexibility and responsiveness to special requests,and location proximity. I am pleased when our staff and our clients are satisfied with the food and services furnished by Singapore Bistro. Two thumbs up!

A Dining Experience that You'll Never Want to End and Will Never
Posted by MaryThomas on Sep 30, 2005
We entertained eight guests visiting our family from Michigan at Singapore Bistro near Dupont circle in last weekend. The menu was rich in a variety of Asian cuisines, including Japanese,Chinese,Thai, and Vietnamese etc. The restaurant atmosphere was relaxing and friendly,the foods we ordered were all delicious,the service was super

An Inexpensive yet Truly Fabulous Dining Experience that You'll
Posted by MaryThomas on Sep 30, 2005
An Inexpensive yet Truly Fabulous Dining Experience that You'll Never Want to End and Will Never Forget! We entertained eight guests visiting our family from Michigan at Singapore Bistro near Dupont circle in last weekend. The menu was rich in a variety of Asian cuisines, including Japanese,Chinese,Thai, and Vietnamese etc. The restaurant atmosphere was relaxing and friendly

An Inexpensive yet Truly Fabulous Dining Experience that You'll
Posted by MaryThomas on Sep 29, 2005

Hign Compliment from a Japan Hand
Posted by AnthonyJohnson on Sep 28, 2005
I was recommended by a colleague of mine to have a business lunch at Singapore Bistro. I found it boasted a well-balanced menu of Japanese sushi not only tantalizing to the taste buds, but each plate is a miniature masterpiece. The lively colors of the fish combined with the traditional garnishes of ginger and Wasabi created a sense of balance and beauty. One of my guests ,Joe, who had lived in Tokyo for several years said that Singapore Bistro's sushi was as authentic as the ones he ate in Japan. I think that is a high compliment to Singapore Bistro's food, coming from a person like Joe. On top of the delicious food, the service was great and friendly. Three cheers!

As Julius Caesar would say: " I came ,I sushied,I loved it."
Posted by Woodwards on Sep 27, 2005
As Julius Caesar succinctly described one of his victories : " I came, I saw, I conquered. " ( In Latin,!'veni, vidi, vici.!() I would describe my experience dining at Singapore Bistro as : " I came, I ate, and I LOVED it."

Posted by: Larry Chow | March 27, 2006 5:24 PM | Report abuse

What Singapore has to do with the Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival is beyond me. The restaurant is named after an island city-state which is the smallest country in Southeast Asia.

May I suggest these Japanese restaurants which are Washington Post Editors' Picks (FYI: Singapore Bistro is not a Post Editors' Pick):

Tachibana - Washington Post Editors' Pick

(202) 333-4187

Sushi Taro- Washington Post Editors' Pick
1503 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC
(202) 462-8999

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey just read all of the comments and as a Japanese American I want to say the following. a)Cherry drinks, food etc sound pretty tasty and all, definitely nothing to get riled up about but it would be nice if the reference to the festival were a little closer to what it actually represents. b) Eat Sushi wherever you like c) I'd rather have it prepared by a traditional Japanese trained chef. d) I was going to make a recomendation but it has already been made and in my opinion it is the best Sushi in the U.S. I have ever had; Tachibana!

Posted by: Hiro | April 3, 2006 5:52 PM | Report abuse