Posted at 12:04 PM ET, 02/13/2008

Heart Bakers

By Erin

Newsflash, folks. Valentine's Day is tomorrow. Sure, you can drop some cash on a box of fine Belgian chocolates or treat your sweetheart to a lobster dinner, but for me, there's little that's sweeter than baked goods. If you don't have the time or ability to whip up a batch of homemade brownies, there's a sparkling new confectionary destination ready to help you out.

Thanks to Georgetown Cupcake, D.C. can now gets its fill of the cupcake-mania sweeping the rest of the country. One bakery may not replace the dozens of places cropping up around New York and Los Angeles -- I gave my mom gift certificates to nearly a dozen L.A. cupcakeries and didn't come close to covering them all -- but it's going to do its best to keep up. Because while other bakeries stock just a few different varieties of the frosting-topped favorite, the Cupcake's menu boasts 24 varieties total, rotating in a dozen different cupcakes at a time.

Standouts? Where do I begin? Sure, you have the classics of chocolate, vanilla and chocolate and vanilla (all made with valhrona chocolate and bourbon vanila, mind you), but then you get into the enticing options like a chocolate and banana muffin with chocolate frosting, the chocolate cupcake with mint ganache, lemon with a lemon cream cheese frosting, mocha muffin with mocha frosting and a chocolate-covered espresso bean, key lime, coconut, lemon berry and the list goes on and on. If you're like me and crave cupcakes for breakfast, the Cupcake will even come to your rescue with "breakfast" cupcakes of blueberry coffee cake and honey yogurt.

For the grand opening, the store will serve red velvet cupcakes with extended hours from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. Just a hint for anybody looking to be my valentine: Red velvets have always been my favorite. Keep in mind that these aren't the same cupcakes that you got at the supermarket for $.99. They'll cost $2.75 each, $15 for 6 or $29 for a dozen.

If you can't make it to Georgetown Cupcake, Baked & Wired will sell ribbon-wrapped boxes with a red velvet cupcake and a few heart-shaped cookies for $8 each. Buzz has "red hot" Rice Krispie treats, frosted heart cookies, red velvet cupcakes and a few love-inspired beverages. Amphora Bakery will have heart cookies and love-themed tea cookies. Frederick's Proof Artisan Bakery plans two boozy red cakes: strawberry rum cake and cherry Grand Marnier cake, which will be available in 6- or 8-inch rounds. Sticky Fingers Bakery will have heart-shaped cakes made of chocolate and raspberry or vanilla and raspberry with ganache icing, regular or heart-shaped cupcakes topped with gummy hearts and pink sprinkles, and smackers, which are basically peanut butter balls covered in chocolate. Bethesda's Just Cakes isn't taking any more special orders, but early birds can probably catch extras on items like dipped strawberries, decorated red velvet cupcakes, raspberry mousse-filled cupcakes and heart cookies.

--Erin

By Erin  | February 13, 2008; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Miscellany
Next: Nightlife Agenda Podcast and Pick of the Week

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Not sure of their V-Day specials, but Love Cafe makes amazing baked sweets- U and 15th

Posted by: smperk | February 13, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I can honestly say the red velvet cupcakes from Baked and Wired are the absolute best, not only in taste but in presentation.

They are my absolute favorite. I brought a dozen to a bachelorette party weekend and they killed!

Posted by: bindrew | February 13, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

There's another location of CakeLove in Shirlington, too.

Posted by: polly | February 13, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Dough Boys is on the opposite coast. Talk about red velvet perfection!

Posted by: carrie k | February 13, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

i am not a big fan of cakelove, there are so much better places

Posted by: dc person | February 13, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Another vote for Baked & Wired (and no, I don't work there.) Their red velvet cupcakes are beyond amazing. Snagged the last one they had last Sunday, and it made my day.

Posted by: Sunny | February 14, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, LOVE Baked & Wired - just wish I could get there more often (stupid Georgetown parking)...and for what it's worth, IMHO cupcakes are a fantastic breakfast food, Valentine's Day or not!

Posted by: KS | February 14, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I thought Baked & Wired's red velvet cupcakes were my favorite too. And then I tried their strawberry cupcakes. Wow.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Any idea if that Frederick bakery will sell the strawberry rum cake year round??

Posted by: ChickieBaby | February 14, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of Heidelberg Bakery's cupcakes. They're pretty basic - vanilla or chocolate cake, vanilla frosting - but the sprinkles elevate them to nirvana.

Posted by: Apium | February 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I was lucky to get a doz red velvet cupcakes from the GTown Cupcake and they were divine!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JoeB | February 14, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

GTC is the best! Baked and Wired is played out and most of the cupcakes are like eating a blob of butter.

Georgetown Cupcake rocks.

Posted by: Gina K | February 22, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

As for Georgetown Cupcakes...ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!
I went 3 times before it was open (my fault because twice it was a monday and once it was before 11 am...It is beautifully designed and the cupcakes (chocolate with vanilla frosting) were to die for! I dont really even like sweets, much less cakes but these girls know how to bake em. Bravo for starting your own business and what more could one ask for to be so busy and popular to keep selling out! That's what everyone dreams for in starting a new business! Keep up the good work...I am definitely coming back!

Posted by: sara | April 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse