Posted at 4:02 PM ET, 04/ 7/2008

Coming Soon: Mini-Golf, Wine and Sushi

By Fritz Hahn

On a recent trip to H Street NE, I was heading for the Rock and Roll Hotel when I happened to look over at the old Phish Tea cafe building at 1335 H St. "Oh yeah," I said to myself. "What the [heck] ever happened to the plans to put an 18-hole indoor mini-golf course and bar in there?"

I've written about the plans for the H Street Country Club a few times, most recently in September 2007, when H Street bar mogul Joe Englert told me he hoped players would be putt-putting away on Washington D.C.-themed holes by "spring." (The announced opening date had been summer 2007.)

Spring's here, so I called Englert for an update. "We're going to get Enology [wine bar] open first, so construction will probably start in mid-May, and it should be done by November," he says.

Well, at least wine lovers have something to be happy about.

Enology is owned by Englert and Adam Manson, the team behind the successful Veritas wine bar in Dupont Circle. Their second project, which Manson says will offer 60 to 70 American wines by the glass, is moving into the old Zebra Lounge space in Cleveland Park, on the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Macomb Street. Look for it to take flight early next month.

Finally, on the subject of H Street openings, we've been talking about the sushi restaurant Sticky Rice for well over a year, but it looks like the opening is at hand. "It's taken forever, but it looks like we're going to be open the middle of May," says owner Brian Deily. "We don't have a firm date yet, but the place is about 95 percent done and we're waiting for inspections. We have one down, seven to go."

An offshoot of the punk-styled Richmond, Va., sushi bar of the same name, Sticky Rice's full menu is available on its Web site. Along with fried tempura rolls, sashimi and a decent selection of noodle dishes, Sticky Rice offers the one thing that no hipster pan-Asian restaurant could do without: tater tots.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | April 7, 2008; 4:02 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and Easy Events
Next: It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I'll believe Sticky Rice, the country club, etc...when I'm purchasing food and drink. I've been hearing all about them and I think the H st. development is going a lot slower than expected by Englert and Co.

Posted by: H St | April 8, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@H St

I feel your pain, I've also been being teased by the promise of Sticky Rice for what seems like several years now. Still, I remain hopeful that Sticky Rice is going to be opening in the 4-6 weeks.

Posted by: Hill Rat | April 8, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

After living in Richmond for a year and then moving to DC, Sticky Rice and Bottoms Up are the only things I miss about that city. One down, one to go.

Posted by: The R.I.C. | April 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I have lived in richmond for a while, and I think sticky rice is garbage. the only good things on the menu are the sticky balls and the tater tots, and anybody can make tater tots. plus a somewhat snotty vibe has always turned me off

Posted by: Richmond | April 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Naked babes

Posted by: drungolon | April 21, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

it's definitely been a little a little longer in the making than we would have preferred, but we're pleased to announce we're almost there! current projection for an opening date is May 19.

go here:

if you'd like to take a photo tour of the place.

cheers!