Nats Tentative 2008 Schedule

OK, a bit of a transition period as we move from the postseason to the offseason. I'm going to post when there's news, but not likely post every single day. I hope you're patient with me - and given how much news we can expect, I'd guess there'll be regular updates/rumors/etc.

Also: I'll get around to the Arizona Fall League stuff I did while in Phoenix, I promise I will.

But first - among the things that have fallen through the cracks while I spent October traipsing around the country - is the 2008 schedule.

Now, keep in mind, this has not been released by the team yet, and it is TENTATIVE - meaning any date on here could change.

The club also continues to work on getting a home opener March 30, a Sunday night, nationally televised game against the Mets on ESPN. That has not been finalized, and might not be for more than a month.

So here we go:

Tue 16-Thu 18: New York Mets
Fri 19-Sun 21: San Diego
Mon 22: Off
Tue 23-Thu 25: Florida
Fri 26-Sun 28: @ Philadelphia

So some interesting notes:

· UPDATE: An indication of the TENTATIVE (have I said that?) nature of the schedule is something some folks have jumped on immediately, and that's the fact that there aren't games scheduled for Memorial Day or Labor Day. But a check at the already released schedules of other teams shows that there seem to be games scheduled for Memorial Day (Milwaukee arriving on Friday and playing a four-game wraparound series ending Monday, May 26) and Labor Day (Philadelphia series starting on Monday, Sept. 1 (the holiday) and then the Nats taking the Thursday off). These are the kinds of tweaks you'll see.
· At the Twins for the second straight time in interleague play, which is a little strange.
· July is a cruel month, with 15 of 24 games on the road, including a 10-game road trip to start the second half, starting in Atlanta and then heading west for San Francisco and Los Angeles. Other 10-game road trip comes in September, with all divisional stops in Atlanta, New York and Florida.
· Ten-game homestand in late April-early May features Cubs, Braves and Pirates - in the first of a few "wraparound" series in which they play a weekend opponent on the following Monday. Other long homestands: Nine games in interleague play in June with Texas, the Angels and Orioles; close August and open September with nine-gamer hosting the Dodgers, Braves and Phillies; and final homestand is nine games in September hosting Mets, Padres and Marlins.
· A quirk: There are no weekend series at home against the Mets or Phillies, two of the bigger draws.
· This is a guess, but if indeed they get the ESPN home opener for March 30, I bet they'll take either the Mon., Aug. 11 or the Thurs., Aug. 14 game against the Mets and make that an off day.

Keep in mind: THIS COULD CHANGE. But any changes will likely be subtle and not involve major overhauls.

It'll become official when the club announces it, which might not be for some time.

Let the discussion begin.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 31, 2007; 1:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 4: Lineups
Next: Nationals Park: Grass is Greener

Comments

What kind of baseball schedule has a team off on both Memorial Day and Labor Day? I had started a tradition of going to the Labor Day game the past three years at RFK (kind of a great way to spend the last unofficial day of summer) but this year, no game on Labor Day in the new stadium. I can understand that maybe the Nats wouldn't get a Labor Day game at home every year, but they're not playing at all?

Sometimes MLB makes no sense at all....

Posted by: Eric | October 31, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Re no Memorial/Labor Day games: obviously MLB fears the Zimmerman effect! We don't get July 4 here either.

Posted by: NatsFly | October 31, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Barry, for the info!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 31, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

No official opener? No Memorial day? No Labor Day? No 4th of July? Who's running this outfit?

Posted by: 6th and D | October 31, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Brand new stadium in the Nation's Capital and we don't get to host Opening Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, Independence Day, or Labor Day. That sucks.

We better be getting the 2010 All Star game.

Posted by: DE | October 31, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait...we can't get 2010, it has to go to an AL city. 2011 then.

Posted by: DE | October 31, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Barry, when will the spring training schedule be posted?

Posted by: Nats Fan | October 31, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes MLB makes no sense at all...."

Eric - you can remove the sometimes from the sentence, as it is an understatement.

Hopefully, this is tentative. This team/city/stadium needs games on the major holidays to draw more fans. If MLB cannot see that, they again wake up with mud butt. And by my count, that would be #37 in the last 30 odd weeks.

Posted by: theraph | October 31, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

A little strange, but entirely awesome.

At least for me.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | October 31, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I really had a nice little tradition going with the Nats on 4th of July. Too bad.

Posted by: WC | October 31, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

We won't get an All Star game since we were bad boys and busted the guidelines for signing bonuses.
We must be punished!!!

Posted by: BristowNats | October 31, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Egad, and I'm old enough to remember when teams scheduled morning-afternoon doubleheaders on Memorial Day.

Why do we feel the need to swing completely in the opposite direction and have no games at all?

GHF: Maybe I can run down and see the P-Nats.

Posted by: Hendo | October 31, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, my first browse though the schedule has me happy about only one thing... and that is that they play in Seattle in Seattle on a weekend... As cool as the Sunday night opener would be, it doesn't work for me, since I want to be there.

From the silver lining department, perhaps it is good that there are no Mets and Phillies weekend series.

Posted by: Wigi | October 31, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Not happy at all about this schedule. Again, it seems that MLB is doing all it can to help people decide not to go see the Nationals. I am not a tin-foil hatted lunatic, but it's hard NOT to believe in a conspiracy.

Barry, can you find out why we hardly have any holidays?

I too had a 4th of July tradition. This year will be with the Cannons, I suppose.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

JDLAND reports that grass will be delivered tomorrow. Oh boy!

Posted by: 6th and D | October 31, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

No Jewish holidays with games. Thank you, Mr. Lerner.

The Interleague is really sad.

Posted by: Eric | October 31, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Check the update above regarding holidays. I can't say this enough: There is room for this to be tweaked, and it appears in some cases it already has.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | October 31, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I was browsing the stadium cam today, and it looks very impressive...

I could see them being ready to lay sod tomorrow...

Posted by: Wigi | October 31, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Did they work this out with the United? :) That is the best part of this, not soccer lines on the baseball field.

Posted by: ChrisC | October 31, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry, will remember to be less reactionary...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Non-schedule non-sequitor: does anyone know a site that lists declared free agents? One that updates as they declare? I'm mostly curious about decliend options, as the CF/SS/2b projected lists have been picked over to death here.

BTW - Home Run Kielty declared. While he's played mostly at corner, he's played some at CF. Decent defensive reputation. A switch hitter whose overall average stinks but who does well against lefties. Earned $2.1 m last year. Anyone think that he might be a platoon partner for Church? (I know, Boston fan boy talking again)

Posted by: jon | October 31, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Barry-

Thanks for the update. Now that you are back, can you see about changing the cover of Nats Journal from the month old Meathook picture? Perhaps a stadium cam shot or something?

A Monday night opening for a new stadium is awful. Please give us March 30th! Thanks MLB!

Posted by: roman1735 | October 31, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

how can you not have baseball on july 4th. that just seems ridiculous its become a tradition, for me at least. and they are usually really great games. DC is one of the only places that can do july 4th baseball right. clean the crap out of your head scheduler.

Posted by: love | October 31, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

You guys seem to think that the Nats have top priority in MLB. I'm sure it isn't as easy as you think to schedule 162 games for 30 teams. Does it make a lot of difference as long as there are 81 games? I would also think they would get bad dates because they will be drawing more based on the new stadium and won't need the holiday crowds as much as they did in RFK.

Posted by: NRCreager | October 31, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

MLBtraderumors.com has a list of Free Agents and updates constantly on declined options, non-tenders, etc...

I like Kielty, I only wonder if Manny is willing to do a stright Church/anyone platoon. He just doesn't seem to believe in it.

I still wonder if they consider Kearns as a potential short term (1-2 yr) option at Center Field. It would make room for Adam Dunn in Left Field...not saying its a good idea, but I bet JimBow has considered it and Dunn-Kearns-Pena does solve the power hitting outfield issue (while creating a massive defensive headache for an already fragile pitching staff).

Posted by: estuartj | October 31, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Baseball on the 4th of July in the nation's capital sounds like a no-brainer for even the most strained of baseball schedulers.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The Potomac Nationals (aka Prince William Cannons) are not home on Labor Day (they close the regular season that day at Wilmington), but they have a 7:05 game on Memorial Day, and as always a 6:35 game on July 4.

Posted by: Cosmo | October 31, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Go Cannons! Prince Willie signed my glove!

Before the Nationals, I spent every Fourth parking at my dad's office and walking over to the stadium (before it was Pfitzner, even). I started loving baseball at those Independence Day games and fireworks.

I learned a lot of new words too!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Holiday P-Nats here I come! I don't know if they'll have it next year, but last year the WaPo sponsored a baseball toss at the end of games that the P-Nats won. Before leaving the field, the players each took a brand-new baseball and tossed it to fans in the stands. Kinda cool. Some players took a while to figure out that the ball doesn't travel as far with the cellophane wrapper still on it...o-kay.

GHF on the non-Nats holidays, perhaps it will help to ease growing pains for the Metro station upgrades.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 31, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

That's the best idea I've heard in a very long time. Everyone could bring garbage bags.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | October 31, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board for F-Robby day vs. the Angels. Maybe they could give away an Intimidator Bobblehead.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 31, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Barry, from all of us at Nats Journal Nation, a BIG HUGE HEARTFELT THANK YOU for reporting on the most grueling of sports beats, the baseball season, with grace, wit and enthusiasm, and wonderful writing. Here you are, posting again two days after the season ended. Take a break, dude, you've earned it!

Posted by: flynnie | October 31, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Emilio would send you and Dave to the Dominican to cover some Lisay games.

Posted by: flynnie | October 31, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with flynnie, 100%. Thanks, Barry.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

50 years ago, every holiday had double headers starting at 1pm. And the Dodgers were in Brooklyn, NY. Times change.

Barry,thanks for all the great information and stories throughout the year. We read your blog spot each day, at least.

Posted by: Paul and Marilyn - Bethesda | October 31, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Times change."

60 years ago, the owner of Washington's ballclub opposed the Dodgers' plan to let a black man play in the National League. Times do change and often for the better.

But we could bring back the day-night double header if you really wanted to.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 31, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Eric - my favorite Jewish holiday baseball story. Game 1 of the 1965 World Series was on yom Kippur and Sandy koufax would not pitch. Walter Alston pitched Don Drysdale instead, who gave up 7 runs by the third inning in what would become an 8-2 Twins win. When Alston came to the mound to take him out, Drysdale said, "Hey, skip - I bet you wish I was a Jew!"

Posted by: flynnie | October 31, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice Yom Kippur baseball link:

Posted by: flynnie | October 31, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Also, when asked why he would not pitch, Koufax was quoted as saying, "G-d knows."

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 31, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I second, or third, or whatever it is at this point, that emotion. Excellent, flynnie!

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 31, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

When do the Nats have to make a decision on non-tendering Lopez, Patterson et al?

Posted by: estuartj | October 31, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"But we could bring back the day-night double header if you really wanted to."

In the old days, a twin bill that started at 1:00 would have been a day-day double header. Day-night double headers are a modern evil.

Posted by: joebleux | October 31, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The Reds picked up the option on Adam Dunn for '08 invoking a no-trade clause till June 15th. Anyone think he would waive that to be reunited with Uncle Jimbow?

If not (or either way) he'd make a good option in left if WMP is a bust (or Kearns is hurt).

Posted by: estuartj | October 31, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh. This is the journal I've come to know and love. The tone and flavor of the blog sure changes when it comes back to Barry, Nats, and old school bloggers, huh?
Thanks for "refreshing"--Barry, flynnie, everyone.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 31, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The lack of a home July 4 game is the biggest disappointment for me.

Seems like a no-brainer the team that represents the nation's capital, playing the national pastime, on the nation's birthday, would play in the nation's capital on said day.

What a shame, it has been my favorite day to attend a baseball game all three years in RFK. Nothing more American.

Man, the more I type the more upset I get about this!

Posted by: Ryan | November 1, 2007 7:43 AM | Report abuse

We got Grass at the Navy Yard!

Posted by: 6th and D | November 1, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Grass on the infield!!! The stadium is really starting to look great, I cannot wait to get there next spring, drink a cold beer, eat a hot hot dog and watch the Nats actually hit some homeruns. (three things that rarely happened at RFK)

Two questions about the stadium webcam: 1) does the area above the scoreboard actually say something or is it just a light-bank that looks like it has words; 2) is that large hole in the centerfield webcam (lower left-hand) a residential or commercial building? Any ideas how tall it will be?

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | November 1, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, there are probably 28 other teams probably also requesting July 4 at home (not counting the Blue Jays). Somebody needs to go on the road and we aren't a major TV market so we don't get priority. (As we all know, MLB rates teams this way: Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, everyone else)

Posted by: dgc | November 1, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

According to the team site, three of the Nats broadcasters are among the Frick award nominees...

Posted by: natsfan1a | November 1, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If you are looking to get excited, click here to see grass on the infield!http://clarkconstruction.oxblue.com/clarkhuntsmoot/

I also noticed Kenny Lofton filed for free agency. Might be a nice 1 year fix to the CF problem. He is stil a heck of a player and would leave in time to allow JMaxx a fplace to play.

Posted by: roman1735 | November 1, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Pitchers and catchers?
One hundred plus days looming
Sweet stadium cam...

Posted by: haiku woman | November 1, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Grass...We got grass!!!!!

The schedule is interesting. I would think that a 3/30 opener at GEICO/FBR/MARS field would be a no-brainer. New stadium in the nations capital. Prexy opener (also gives plenty of time for early arrival and required security) in the nations capital, with great views is the obvious first choice.

I'm betting that the hangup is Bud the (fill in whatever synonym for mentally challenged that you want). If, like me you have been following this odyssey since the late 90s, when it became painfully obvious that Montreal couldn't support a Major League ballteam, its owners weren't playing with a full deck (Hi, we can build a brand new stadium for $150 million Canadian), and that DC was the only logical place to put the franchise, Bud dithered, wouldn't be pro-active, etc.

Eventually, the whole process was taken to its logical conclusion, going through much pain, teeth gnashing, and ulcers. That will probably happen with the 3/30 opener.

The bright side is that a decision probably won't wait much beyond 1/1 so that tix can be printed and distributed. I assume that the Lerners will want to do things correctly, this year. It's key as far as fan experience is concerned.

Posted by: Catcher50 | November 1, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Re Ford Frick Award: EVERY broadcaster (living or dead) with at least 10 years of MLB experience is eligible. They make this announcement every year now -- it's a "fan vote" that means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: Cosmo | November 1, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cosmo, for the info.

Posted by: natsfan1a | November 1, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

In looking at the article again, the Hall of Fame staff research team nominates 7 of the final 10 candidates (fans choose the other 3).

---

The final ballot of 10 candidates, to be announced in early December, will include the three fan selections and seven other candidates determined by a Hall of Fame staff research team. The Frick electorate includes all past winners and six historians appointed by the Hall of Fame.

Posted by: natsfan1a | November 1, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Re: Barry's article on the Business of Boston Baseball, Mike Dee, the COO of the Red Sox was on Morning Edition today and said some interesting things: they will see no revenue increase from the World Series win, because they maxed out in 2004. Fenway has been sold out for 388 games, but it is the smallest park in baseball ("and we like it that way") at 38,800. Corporate sponsorships are maxed out and they will always be $70 million or so behind the Yankees. The pressure to win is great, because a losing season causes revenue to fall off 20-40%. I take from this that Stan is Dead Serious about The Plan, because winning is essential to the Nats getting off the ground financially. Exhibit 1- attendance figures for 2005, v. 2006 and 2007. and here's to Wigi for a really creative and great idea!

"Here's an idea for a promotion... June 25, Frank Robinson Day... against the Angels.

Posted by: Wigi | October 31, 2007 03:04 PM"

Posted by: flynnie | November 1, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

GRASS?!? OMG, we have grass?!? This is just amazing.

Do you guys realize how many thousands of opportunities there could have been for delays, hassles, stalls, problems, hiccups, etc. in getting this stadium up on time?

I mean, my god! Weather ALONE could have made our lives miserable with delays. But it's still miraculously on schedule!?! We have grass already?

Seriously, if parking is our only worry after all this, we're doing alright. And before you drivers vilify me, I'm not minimizing the problem. I'm just saying there could have been a whole, whole lot more to be worried about right now.

I never thought a spot of grass could mean so much.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 1, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

New post with grass link is above.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | November 1, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Good outlook, NatsNut.

Especially given that this was a 3 year project that will be completed in 2. I can only imagine how complicated it is to design as you build!

If parking is the hiccup, we can take the metro until the dust settles.

Posted by: G-town | November 1, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

i'm a little disappointed at the opponents for weekend home series next season. nothing against those franchises, but i'd rather see the mets and phillies than the pirates and astros. and once again, i'm left wanting where interleague play is concerned. the rangers and the twins?

as for bobby kielty, i'd rather have church playing full time in the nats outfield next year. his career numbers across the board are slightly better than kielty's, and there is a marked difference in slugging that i think will be even more pronounced in the new park. let church hit against lefties and develop more consistency there. i just don't see where kielty would be especially helpful. if they're going to upgrade, they should go after someone who would be a significant improvement, and that's certainly not bobby kielty.

Posted by: blueson | November 1, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

blueson - astros and pirates are fine w/me. I'd rather see a win.

Posted by: flynnie | November 1, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

you'd definitely have to think that your chances of winning the home series against those teams are pretty good. but i'm just not sure what a 4-game wrap around series against the bucs will mean for attendance.

Posted by: blueson | November 1, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the lack of Phillies and Mets weekend series was done to avoid the embarassment of having the stadium seem like it's filled more with their fans than ours. Those are the teams whose fans come here the most often, make the most noise, and relish the chance to act out on enemy turf. I'm a native Philadelphian, but if this helps to keep the Phillie and Met fans out of our house, then I'm all for it.

Posted by: Jim B. | November 2, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Are the schedulers assuming that since the stadium will be brand new, it won't matter because that first year they're assuming it'll be sold out regardless?

Pretty big risk, if that's the case.

Grass! Nice green grass!

Posted by: Juan-John | November 5, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hi!
It can be interesting!
myob doc [URL=http://myob.xbvo.info/]myob[/URL] doc http://myob.xbvo.info/ myob doc
BDg46FDFGbs6
Bye

Posted by: myob | November 6, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Hello!
It can be promising!
http://bangkok.xbvo.info/ bangkok news bangkok news [URL=http://bangkok.xbvo.info/]bangkok[/URL] news
BDg46FDFGbs6
See you

Posted by: bangkok | November 7, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

How is the new stadium coming along? Any chance it won't be ready in April as planned?

Posted by: seg | November 7, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

When do you guys think will be the "Nationals Year"?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse