Elijah Dukes to Nationals?

Dave Sheinin just confirmed what I've been trying to for the last couple hours -- that troubled Tampa Bay outfielder Elijah Dukes has been dealt to the Washington Nationals.

We do not yet know who was dealt in return.

This jives with what I heard this morning, that the Nationals are not yet done moving in the outfield. Dukes was a rookie for the Rays this past season, but he made far more news off the field. He is 23, extremely talented. But his wife also accused him of making threats to her on her cellphone. He has been arrested many times (I'm working on getting the details).

So there's lots of questions that arise once this thing is announced, questions of character -- which makes the ones surrounding Lastings Milledge seem minor -- as well as questions of where he would play for the Nationals, who would have Wily Mo Pena, Milledge, Austin Kearns and Dukes as potential starters. Dukes is also a right-handed hitter, which wouldn't help balance the Nationals' right-handed heavy lineup.

Will get you more as I can. Back to the lobby.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 3, 2007; 2:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lobby buzz
Next: Some details on Dukes

Comments

Yikes!

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

we *better* not have given up Cordero, Rauch, or anyone else of significant value for Dukes.

I'm find with Milledge but Dukes is a straight up nutcase.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Umm, WTF? I don't care if we got him for a ballboy. I don't want this scumbag anywhere near this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Worse yet...What if it's Kearns for Dukes?

Posted by: Baldino | December 3, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

holy sh*tballs. this is terrible. we have enough trouble with teenage pregnancy as it is.

Posted by: kwamesnani | December 3, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

That's terrible news. Someone as messed up as Dukes is very unlikely to be able to harness his talent in any significant sense.

Posted by: Simon Oliver Lockwood | December 3, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Looks like we're stockpiling really talented OF headcases. I agree that I really hope that we didn't give up too much value for him (ie Cordero or Rauch). He could just as easily be a 30-30 guy or as doing 30 years to life. I think he has a bigger upside than Milledge, but much bigger downside.

Posted by: Salty | December 3, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Nonononononononononononononononononononononono!

Make 'em take it back! (If it's true).

I can only imagine who they gave up for this kid. The way the Nats have been trading, I'd guess Cordero, Rauch and some other key player.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | December 3, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hoo-Boy. If it's really Elijah Dukes, this blog's going to be in flames. Buck sez 100 comments by 5:45.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 02:41 PM

Posted by: repeat... | December 3, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

No way the Nationals trade an outfielder (Kearns) who has hit 25 homers, 85 RBI's and is still young traded for a guy who MIGHT hit that well. We all know that RFK hurt Austin this year. No way the Nats don't give Kearns a chance to show what he can do in a less forgiving park.

Bowden won't trade Wily Mo, and I doubt he'll trade Austin, and Lastings just got here, so I'm guessing .... shoot ... I have no idea what's about to happen.

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | December 3, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please, please, please. Don't let it be Kearnsy.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

It obviously depends on the return, but Dukes is a legitimate talent. I worry much more about his off-field problems than I do Milledge's, but I'm encouraged by the fact that Tim Tolman got a chance to get to know him with Licey.

As long as we didn't give up too much (and I've gotten pretty greedy since the Milledge trade), I think the risk will be worth it.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Does he have talent? If so, do we care if he picks the wings off of flies?

(But I like the comment above: as good a chance at 30-30 as 30 to life.)

Posted by: DC Diehard | December 3, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

also, Dukes better not be all that we get back from Tampa.

or else i am spitting flames.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

sigh

Posted by: natsfan1a | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Roll your sleeves up, Dmitri. You got your mentoring work cut out for you.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I will be so VERY, VERY, VERY upset if we get Elijah Dukes. Please no. Please no. Oh my goodness gracious! I'm too upset already to focus on my work!!

Posted by: Isaiah is a better prophet | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Well, between Milledge and Dukes, your job should be interesting next season, Barry. Better brush up on your legal scholarship.

Posted by: pondaz | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Relax man.... this is bigger risk than the Wily Mo trade so you can expect that we gave up even less. No chance at all that it is Kearns.

Posted by: GoNats | December 3, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

WHY?!?!?

I may be a baseball newbie, but this potential trade/acquisition/hairball still doesn't sound right to me.

Could it be part of a larger, three-way trade for someone else? That would make a little more sense, right?

Posted by: Juan-John | December 3, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

And furthermore....young talented African-American ballplayers are EXACTLY what a team playing in the district should be stockpiling.

Posted by: GoNats | December 3, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

In all seriousness, I haven't paid my invoice yet for this year's season tix. If Kearnsy went for Dukes, ZIPPIE chance I pay. I would be done supporting the home team at this point.

Posted by: Worried | December 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I swear to dog, if they traded away Kearns for this nutcase, I will give up my season tickets. I am not handing this team more of my money for them to run juvenile delinquent center. Milleadge is one thing (young, a little misguided, needs a little direction). Dukes is a bad seed.

I'm still nervous that one of these days they are going to trade away Rauch. I'm even more nervious that today might be one of those days.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | December 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. But not necessarily young, talented African American ballplayers we're bailing out of jail every 10 days.
_______

Posted by: GoNats | December 3, 2007 03:10 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What everyone else said. Milledge is mild compared to this. No wonder the season ticket invoices went out prior to the trade deadline. Apparently character issues don't matter. Ask the Bengals how that worked out for them.

At least the jail is right by RFK and thus familiar to team officials if visits are necessary.

Posted by: Ray | December 3, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Milledge is just a young kid who got a little overexcited about his first HR.

Dukes is a certified nutcase.

there's a big difference between the two.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

How much time have Dukes, Milledge, Young et al spent in jail?

Save us the hyperbole, if these guys worked in your office instead of your baseball team they would hardly warrant much commentary, and before everyone jumps on their high horse - if they weren't ball players there is a very good chance that no one, co-workers, neighbors, etc would even know anything about this.

I'm wondering what JimBow & Kasten have in mind with all these young OFers, Pena, Milledge, Kearns, Maxwell & now maybe Dukes? I wish we had that kind of bounty of youth and talent in our infield....

Posted by: estuartj | December 3, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Milton Bradley is available as a free-agent too.

Posted by: DE | December 3, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't you get it? Dukes is cheap -- that's all they care about.

Also, get ready to say bye-bye to the Chief for the same financial reasons.

From Mark Zuckerman of the Washington Times:

Will the Nationals pull off another trade? Jim Bowden is aggressively shopping around closer Chad Cordero, and to a lesser extent, setup man Jon Rauch. With Cordero likely to make as much as $6 million in arbitration this offseason, now would seem an appropriate time to attempt to deal him.

Posted by: swanni | December 3, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"No way the Nationals trade an outfielder (Kearns) who has hit 25 homers, 85 RBI's and is still young traded for a guy who MIGHT hit that well."

MIGHT? Dukes hit a home run every 18.4 at-bats - Kearns has never had a season better than 19.5 (2003) and was at 36.7 last season.

Dukes is already a better power hitter than Kearns has ever been.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Unless they gave real value this is a great addition to the resurrection Nationals. Dukes did nothing worse in 2007, than Da Hook did in '06. Past performance is no guaranty of future results, but worth the gamble. If nothing else, should give Barry some fun.

Posted by: 209 @ the New House | December 3, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

JimBo sure loves toolsy outfielders!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Kearns makes about $4 million a year -- that makes him an ideal candidate to trade for someone who makes around the minimum.

Posted by: swanni | December 3, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dukes has been arrested six times, threatened to kill his girlfriend, and impregnated a 17 year-old foster child being cared for by one of his relatives.

I think you might hear something about one of those if he worked in your office.

Posted by: pondaz | December 3, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

pondaz - don't forget he threatened to kill his own child as well as the girlfriend.

and sent them photos of him holding a loaded pistol.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, people's reactions are way over the top. Kearns for Dukes? Not a chance. I'm guessing it's someone from the minors.

Giving up season tix b.c the team got a really talented 23 year old who has had some past problems? Geez. What a fan.

Posted by: .390 | December 3, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hate to stir the waters but one very unsubstantiated rumor site said Rauch. We best get more than Dukes for Rauch.

Posted by: GoNats | December 3, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Amazing!

A few weeks ago one poster after another was dumping on Kearns. Now, all of a sudden, he is the best right fielder in the majors.

Let's be real here. Kearns is a very good right fielder, with a fabulous (and accurate) arm. He has the potential to be a serious hitter in GEICO/FBR/Mars.

Dukes is 23. With the exception of Zimm, what I have heard about him (and Milledge) is not a lot different from what I have heard about many 23 year old big time athletes. After the wake-up call, most go on to become solid citizens. Personally, I'd rather deal with someone like that than a spoiled brat like BALCO Bonds.

Posted by: Catcher50 | December 3, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ten bucks says its cordero. any takers?

Posted by: theraph | December 3, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but comparing this piece of trash to Lastings or Dmitri is insulting.

And this guy wouldn't get through the front door at my office. And I believe the cops would show up if he tried.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK, folks- Bowden gets troubled players on the cheap. There is not a chance we traded Kearns for him. I don't even know if Dukes makes the team out of Spring Training.

Let's breathe deep, and don't chuck the season ticket invoices yet.

Posted by: Three more months | December 3, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

He wouldn't get through the front door of the federal building I work in.

I'm madly in love with the Nationals. I gulped the koolaid right down and holding my cup out for more. But if it's Kearns, I'm gonna think twice about my ticket too.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a tremendous talent, some believe he's better than Delmon Young which is really saying something, and if we didn't give up too much for him the risk is definitely worth the possible rewards.

Posted by: J-Dawg | December 3, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

At least now it is crystal clear why we signed Da Meat Hook for a longer contract.

Posted by: GoNats | December 3, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

okay. good idea. deep breaths.

Posted by: inhale....exhale.... | December 3, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

All I'm saying is a lot of this bad behavior is highlighted because they work in the entertainment industry. Lord knows there are worse Moms out there than Brittany Spears...

Oh yea, and young black man in this country had trouble with the police and fathered a child out of wedlock. That would sure stop the presses if he weren't also a professional athlete...

Let's remember that as much as we try to put these guys on pedestals they still come from, and often still live, in the same world as the rest of us.

Posted by: estuartj | December 3, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

===
No word yet on what the Rays are getting back, but, for what it's one worth, one statistical website - thebaseballcube.com - lists the Rays as the current team of reliever Jon Rauch.
===

Posted by: 231 (other 506) | December 3, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This might be part of a three way trade, we shouldn't get too excited, yet...

Posted by: G-town | December 3, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

then again...

===
[quote]A friend of mine at a Houston radio station just told me that the Astros are no longer able to acquire Chad Cordero from the Nats because he is about to be traded to the D-Rays for Dukes.[/quote]
===

Posted by: 231 (other 506) | December 3, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Name just ONE other 23 year old big time athlete who has been arrested SIX times. On top of that, he threatened to kill his Kid, and his kids mom. Also, when a girl he got pregnant at 17 confronted him, the guy threw a bottle at her.
Nice try, Catcher50.
This does spell goodbye for Kearns, though. We could get some solid young starting pitcher for him. Too bad. The guy plays his heart out. Milledge and Dukes could've learned a thing or two about hustle from him.

---------------------------------------- Dukes is 23. With the exception of Zimm, what I have heard about him (and Milledge) is not a lot different from what I have heard about many 23 year old big time athletes.
Posted by: Catcher50 | December 3, 2007 03:23 PM

Posted by: Bye AK | December 3, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

AnotherOF? The Nats better start addressing their real problem - starting pitching.

Posted by: lucky | December 3, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. This kid isn't youthful mischief. Getting into drunken brawls, catting around with women, showing up hungover is 23-year old mischief.

Threatening to kill ANYONE, much less your wife or child, are NOT 23-year old antics and certainly not in the same world as the rest of us.

Then again, I haven't confirmed the truth of the stories either, so I'll wait and see.

_______________________

still live, in the same world as the rest of us.

Posted by: estuartj | December 3, 2007 03:27 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | December 3, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1841

Edit Message

Dukes to Nationals?
[quote]

The Rays appear to finally have had enough of Elijah Dukes?

The teams have not confirmed anything, but word at the winter meetings this afternoon was that the Rays are trading Dukes to the Nationals. No word yet on what the Rays are getting back. The Washington Post is also reporting this.

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence, including word that Nationals GM Jim Bowden was overheard on his cell phone yesterday at the airport talking to someone named "Elijah.''Both teams have scheduled announcements at 5 p.m. Plus, the deal would explain why Dukes, the troubled outfielder, hasn't played since his latest eruption after being ejected from a Dominican League game on Thursday night.
[/quote]

Update Tampa near deal for Cordero

Posted by: hb | December 3, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Barry has a new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a | December 3, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

According to a Tampa Tribune blog, it's some minor leaguer for Dukes.

Posted by: dgc | December 3, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to wait til I hear all the details before I make any judgement about this trade, but I really hope that whoever we traded is someone expendable, say...Nook Logan? I really hope it's not Kearns, or worse yet, as someone just posted, Rauch.

Posted by: BSG | December 3, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I am fine with this trade under 2 Conditions:

1. We give up NOTHING of significant value.

2. Dukes gets a freakin clue and cleans his act up.

if either of those two conditions are not met, I'm breathing fire.

5pm can't come soon enough.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

If half of what is in this post about the character issue is true, it is disgusting that the Nats would sign this guy no matter who is traded. Some trouble, sure. Everyone makes mistakes and Da Meat Hook shows people can come back from that. But six arrests, threatening to kill someone and sending pics of yourself loading a gun--that is very disturbing. Maybe it ain't so. I won't bail on the team for it, but why on earth would the Nationals want to be associated with that? Maybe it ain't so....

Posted by: NatsFly | December 3, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Article from earlier this year on Dukes: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2823398
It does talk about him having a higher ceiling than Young. If he could just focus on baseball, he could be one of the few five-tool CF's around.

Posted by: Salty | December 3, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Bunch of nancies on this blog. The era of the bubble-gum chewing, folksy, aw-shucks gritty ballplayer is dead. You win today with horses, with studs. Throw this cat out there 150 games and watch him mash. Keep his nose clean outide the lines and take a quantum leap forward and towards a championship.

I'm not looking for his autograph, I'm looking for a run producer and elite baseball talent. Let Zimmerman pose for pictures and kiss the babies.

Posted by: Jim Bowden | December 3, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Article from the Tampa Bay newspaper says he was traded for a minor leaguer, so Kearns is safe.

Posted by: Pat | December 3, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Dukes reminds me of Albert Belle. If he can harness his talent then he could become one of the best hitting outfielders in the game.

Posted by: Mike | December 3, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

estuartj - you just don't get it. so let me put it caps for you, so you understand.

It's not because he's a "young black man who fathered a child out of wedlock". I'm black, and I say quit trying to make it a race issue.

Dukes is a nutcase. He's been arrested SIX TIMES. He *THREATENED TO KILL HIS OWN CHILD* ..

let's try that again - He *THREATENED TO KILL HIS OWN CHILD*. as a parent i find that alone absolutely appalling.

He *THREATENED TO KILL HIS CHILD'S MOTHER.* and sent them pictures of him *waving a loaded pistol*.

please don't try to downplay the severity of Duke's transgressions, just because he's black. the Race Card does not, and should not work for thugs like him.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I love all the support we're seeing for Kearnsy. Seems like just yesterday I couldn't believe we'd given up Majewski AND Bray AND Harris. Oh, how times have changed, and how glad I am of it.

Posted by: Atlanta | December 3, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

with that said, my previous post about being okay with this trade under 2 conditions still stand.

i may not like the guy as a person, but as a ballplayer, he's got potential, and as long as we don't give up much to get him, and he keeps his nose clean while he is here, then there isn't much i can say.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

according to Barry, it's only a PTBNL that we are giving up for Dukes.

that calms me down, VERY much.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 3, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

substance abuse, domestic violence and chronic health problems, what are we thinking!?!

oh wait that was da meat hook last off season and now he is the comeback player of the year and a team leader.

have some faith in Manny, JimmyB and the rest of the nats braintrust, they know a thing or two

Posted by: love | December 3, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

We just buried a guy who once got in trouble for waiving a loaded pistol, but by all accounts was turning his life around.

Here's to second chances. Welcome, Elijah.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | December 3, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It was just a matter of Dukes' wife accusing him of sending threatening message to her cell phone. He barged into the public middle school where she works and threatened to kill her and her child. That's a little beyond sending threatening text messages as the violence extended to strangers - children no less - that he had no particular connection to. Should he get another chance somewhere, someday? Maybe if he stays out of trouble for awhile first. At this point though he's likely to be nothing other than a bad influence on Milledge, Young, and all the rest of the Nats.

Posted by: Are you kidding me | December 3, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The halfway house on South Capitol Street continues.

Posted by: Vincent | December 3, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Catcher50... you think Barry Bonds using steroids is a bigger deal than multiple acts of criminal violence by this guy? Well guess what, in his divorce case, his wife accused him of using steroids too. I wouldn't be at all surprised from the looks of him (not that I would be surprised by any player). Now do you believe he's a bad guy because he's a potential steroid witch too?!

Posted by: Are you kidding me | December 3, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Put me down as in favor of a trade that brings talent for no cost. Usually, TBD is an inconsequential player. The last time we traded TBD it netted us WMP for Fruto. If we are getting potential starters at no real cos, then I'm ok with it. Dukes has not made the team yet. If he comes to Washington, behaves himself and donates time or money to DC schools (or any other form of community work) I would be happy to have him. Keep him on a short leash and hope for the best.

Posted by: NatBisquit | December 3, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dukes had a .190 BA. Why would he be considered a potential starter? He's a bench guy at best at this point - maybe Langerhans is gone. I hope they don't send Nook - his speed is valuable and he started to figure out how to hit and bunt effectively.

Can Wily Mo play 1B?

Posted by: Scaredy Nat | December 3, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard anything yet? The press conference should have started already.

Posted by: Clueless in DC | December 3, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | December 3, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

there's been a new post up for awhile. come on over.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 3, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Barry -- c'mon, man; you're supposed to *write* for a living!

the word you seek is "jibe" -- "that jibes with what I'm hearing." Jibe is a verb meaning "to accord with, be consistent with." "Jive" as a verb means "to dance to swing music" or "to tease."

Jeezus, man; we don't expect you to know how to hit a curveball, but we do expect you to write better than that.

Read "Garner's American Usage," dude.

-- yer pal.