Weapon of Mass Production: No extension yet

So ESPN's Enrique Rojas reported earlier tonight that the Nationals had reached agreement on a two-year, $7-million extension with outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who is eligible for arbitration. Through a team spokesman, General Manager Jim Bowden denied the report. Bowden, though, did acknowledge that the two sides have talked.

What should we take from this? That it's likely an aribtration-avoiding deal will get done with Pena, who made $1.875 million in 2007.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 5, 2007; 11:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is Paul Lo Duca worth this much discussion?
Next: Still more Lo Duca

Comments

I can just read the joy you get having the opportunity to use that nickname once again.

Posted by: Sam | December 5, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff, Barry. There was also an interesting tidbit from Ladson on nats.com about the team being interested in old friend Jamey Carroll--but the Rockies wanted a top reliever, despite him coming off, well, a pretty awful year (post-season securing play notwithstanding).

But my, oh my, t'would be nice to see some of the old crew back in red and white. Speaking of which, Barry, any news of Livo?

Posted by: Atlanta | December 5, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope they sign Wily Mo, he could end up being DC's Ortiz.

I read and agreed with Boswell's column this morning on Dukes. I think the Nats' thinking is that he underachieved in the minors and at TB because of his other problems. Maybe they feel he will do better on the field if he can control his temper and become a normal person off the field.

I still think he's way too big a risk with a fragile fan base and a young team that needs to play with a positive, controlled attitude AND be considered good community members.

IMO I'd rather have a decent team with solid citizens than a team of jerks that wins -- and I'm super-starved for a world series in Washington.

You need look no further than that football team up in Baltimore to see how bad a good team looks when it cultivates a bad boy image and has a collective meltdown in front of a national tv audience.

As they showed last season and teams like the Billy Martin Yankees showed in the 70s, you can win and still be losers.

And as the Nats' showed last season with their hustling, classy play and the Redskins showed last week, you can lose and still be winners.

Don't get me wrong, I'll put up with some "stuff" if the team wins and I prefer a team with a slight edge that wins to a nice team that loses.

It's all a matter of degree - to me, a guy like Milledge is in the acceptable range of antics (minus the rap song - THAT was way out of bounds) but Dukes is off the charts with his previous behavior.

I'm willing to give him another chance here in DC, but one even slight misstep and I hope he's released. And - I wish the team never put itself in this precarious position.

Posted by: natswriter | December 5, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

eh? the Os have a "bad boy" image? really?

Posted by: 231 (other 506) | December 6, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

____________

"You need look no further than that *FOOTBALL* team up in Baltimore...'

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 6:09 AM | Report abuse

The ravens aren't good this year b.c mcnair finally hit the wall and boller just isn't that good. Their defense is old and their offense hasn't been good...ever. I have no ida what a bad boy image has to do with anything. Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Posted by: the ravens suck | December 6, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Gee, Atlanta, I'd love to have Carroll back. He was a favorite of mine.

Posted by: natsfan1a | December 6, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

let's go, Wily Mo
clap clap clap clap clap

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse