Nationals 15, Georgetown 0 (No mercy rule enforced)

(My apologies: The box score issued here only went through seven-and-a-half innings, so I had the score wrong initially. The correct score is reflected above.)

So Josh Smoker pitched just fine, allowing two hits and a walk in two innings while striking out three. Not too shabby considering most of the Hoyas were older than him. You'll have the chance to read more about him in the paper tomorrow.

Other tidbits: Willie Harris goes 2 for 2, de Caster 2 for 4, Diaz 2 for 4, Whitney 2 for 3 with 3 RBI, and the Nats toss up 16 hits.

Collin Balester was quite disappointed that he walked two guys, but he did strike out five in his two innings of work. And Mike Hinckley -- who, back in 2005, was the Nationals' top pitching prospect -- mopped up with two innings of relief work, also walking two. Manny Acta said after the game that Hinckley will almost certainly be converted to a reliever this year, giving him a chance to reach the potential that has been held back by injuries and poor performance the past couple years.

Acta spoke to the Georgetown kids after the game, and he said he'd like to make this an annual event. The Hoyas -- who will be in Orlando for a tournament this weekend -- were obviously jacked about it, with some kids taking photos from the dugout.

The real exhibition season starts tomorrow. We'll see if the scoreboard operators get up to speed. I've got to get to hacking. I'll try to get you one last update before I leave my perch here.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 28, 2008; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spotlight: Jason Bergmann
Next: Official "Ask Jason Bergmann a Question" Post

Comments

GREAT news about Smoker. Here's hoping he's up to a challenge, and the front office obliges with a Hagerstown assignment.
I know it was Georgetown, but Whitney's performance is impressive, and I'll start leaning for him to grab a spot on the roster (being a rule 5 guy) this year.
Thanks, Barry!

Posted by: Section 138 | February 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I got a little excited, and forgot to finish that last sentence...
IF Whitney keeps it up, I'll welcome him to the roster. He's got the background, hope it works out for him, and we don't have to give him back.

Posted by: Section 138 | February 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Manny for President!

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If any of you guys here need a good, compotent lawyer make sure to call the Law Offices of Peter Angelos. I'll get you the money you need.

If you don't need a lawyer than make sure to come out to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and see some QUALITY baseball on display. We have the most beautiful stadium in all of MLB plus Boogs BBQ is to die for.

Posted by: Peter Angelos | February 28, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

compotent

Posted by: spellcheck, anyone? | February 28, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Playing Microsoft Word Spellcheck on an internet messageboard means that I need to get a....

Posted by: Life | February 28, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Peter,
it's "then" not "than"

Posted by: Grammatistician | February 28, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's "message board"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 28, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's... "Troll"

Posted by: We've Been Noticed | February 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is there even more than the usual Spring Training Exuberance??

We're undefeated in Spring Training Exhibition games! One of our top out-of-high-school draft choices pitched two scoreless innings, striking out three... and even the worst news of the spring training, that our number one and number two catchers are injured... just leaves the door open for the catcher that most of us want to see, anyway...

Even perched here where the Pacific Ocean and the Arctic Circle meet... spring is definitely in the air...

Posted by: Wigi | February 28, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Orioles, I gotta carry this forward from Diz. Good one. CRACKED me up!
________________
I wonder if the O's have to play the "Inner Harbor School of Beauty and Hair" as well.

Posted by: Diz | February 28, 2008 02:02 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | February 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Manny...I'd rather see GWU (but then again, I'm not objective in this).

Check the stadium cam. Much of the padding is on around the infield boxes. Hook up has been done for the RF scoreboards. Looks like they are connected to the "net" and are using Mozilla. Cool!!!! I expect to see the white covering off in the next couple of days and then...a real ballpark.

Posted by: Catcher50 | February 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, if we can get the Hoyas on the schedule for 162 games, we might be playin' in October!

Posted by: Diz | February 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I just want to thank all of you for the MASN money that you're putting directly into my pockets.

Thanks again

Posted by: Peter Angelos | February 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Definitely, definitely Wigi. Much more exuberance. From us AND from the players.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"MASN" is not an adjective.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

MASN is a money cash cow for me, thanks largely to Expos, I mean, Nats fans like yourself.

Posted by: Peter Angelos | February 28, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Remember, kiddies MASN stands for Mr. Angelos's Sports Network.

Posted by: natsscribe | February 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

...or more appropriately "Mr. Angelos Screws (the) Nationals."

Posted by: natsscribe | February 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"money cash cow" is redundant.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

15-0. Thought for a second there that we were playing Mr Angelo's supposed Major League team.

Posted by: Bazz | February 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hi Wigi,

... I just sat down to say pretty much the same thing you did, but you said it, so I'll now say 'Amen'.

... two games, two wins, eighteen runs scored. Who really cares about the competition at this point; I bet the Hoyas were even tickled pink just to play with these guys.

... but as the days go by, the semi-real games will come along. With these two days of practice against real live arms and legs, the Nats must be p***ing themselves just to get it on!

Go Justin Maxwell! Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Nah, because then we would have scored 30 runs.

---

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Marlins 16
Orioles 3

Posted by: oh yeah, I forgot | February 28, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less how my team does in the standings because thanks to fans like you I'm raking in money hand over fist!

I don't root for the O's or the Expos, I mean Nat's

I root for MASN.

Posted by: Peter Angelos | February 28, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"Nat's" shouldn't be possessive

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 28, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

506, you're hilarious.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 28, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Don't the fans who turn out for the Yankees and Sox games help with that as well?

---

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I can make my new moniker "Troll Grammar Troll"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 28, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

That or "GrammatiTroll"

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Troll, and you troll alone.

Posted by: That's "Petor Ongolos" | February 28, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Barry and Dave, for today's print edition pieces. I loved the pic of Manny addressing the college kids (I'm guessing with an inspirational message).

What's this about going upside our rookie pitchers' heads, though? Are we talking light dope slaps or what?? Hope the rookie pitchers' moms don't have to come down there and give those veteran pitchers a good talking to...

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse