Lannan, Langerhans out; Estrada on DL; roster at 25

The Nationals made the following moves to set their regular-season roster:

C Johnny Estrada goes on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow tendinitis. The move is retroactive to March 21.

OF Ryan Langerhans was outrighted to Class AAA Columbus. He cleared waivers, and will roam the outfield there.

LHP John Lannan was optioned to Class AAA Columbus, but Manny Acta said he could be back soon depending on Shawn Hill's status.

INF Pete Orr was reassigned to Class AAA Columbus despite a very fine spring in which he hit .389.

RHP Chris Schroder was optioned to Class AAA Columbus.

So that leaves:

Jon Rauch
Saul Rivera

DL:
Johnny Estrada
Shawn Hill
Wily Mo Pena

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008 Washington Nationals.

(Langerhans, Garrett Mock, Wil Nieves, Orr, Schroder and Mike O'Connor will all travel north with the team and be on hand as extras for Saturday night's exhibition at Nationals Park against the Orioles.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 26, 2008; 4:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roster to be set today
Next: The last day of spring

Comments

Can I get a side-by-side to last year's?

So what happened to Nook out in Cali - is he hanging out in Chavez Ravine or AAA (Vegas, right? there are worse places to spend your time) or even lower?

Posted by: Corey | March 26, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

so what happens when Wily Mo and Hill come back (we know flores will go to AA)? Harris seems like a lock but who else?

Posted by: steve | March 26, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Were any of these guys on the team for Opening Day 2005? Cristian and Chad? Anyone else?

Posted by: Cajund | March 26, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

No surprises there.

The real roster fun starts when Estrada, Hill, and Pena some back in early April, mid April and late April, respectively.

Also, what does the 40-man look like these days? Didn't the Nats free up two spots there, or was that from a post I read in a dream?

(Yes, I read NJ in my dreams, too.)

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

You also had Johnson, Ayala, & Rauch in 2005, I believe.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Here were my guesses from the official guess-the-roster thread a few weeks back:

SP: John Patterson, Odalis Perez, Tim Redding, Matt Chico

RP: Chad Cordero, Jon Rauch, Luis Ayala, Jason Bergmann, Jesus Colome, Ray King, Saul Rivera

C: Paul Lo Duca, Jesus Flores (Estrada to DL; Flores to AA upon return)

IF: Nick Johnson, Dmitri Young, Ronnie Belliard, Felipe Lopez, Cristian Guzman, Ryan Zimmerman, Aaron Boone

OF: Elijah Dukes, Austin Kearns, Lastings Milledge, Alex Escobar, Rob Mackowiak

I lose a point on the offense (Harris instead of my guess of Escobar) and a point on the pitchers (Hanrahan instead of my guess of Patterson. Silly, silly me). Anyone guess 100%?

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | March 26, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Who is the emergency catcher? Aaron Boone?

Posted by: JW | March 26, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Rivera has options so Rivera will go for Hill.

Kind of sorry to see Schroder down if you take the outside RFK stats Boswell rattled off seriously. I'm not worried about Rauch, though, as I think a few late year stinkers hurt him. As for Chad, I'll just say I hope he's right and not debate it for now.

Posted by: ptbnl | March 26, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Overall a team with possibilities. Best case scenario (certainly not my predictions though):

SS: Guzman - .260-5-45
CF: Milledge - .280-25-80
3B: Zimmerman - .285-30-110
1B: Johnson - .280-20-80
RF: Kearns - .270-22-80
LF: Dukes/Pena - .265-28-80 *
* Who knows when Pena comes back or how many at-bats Dukes gets
2B: Belliard - .280-15-60
C: LoDuca/Estrada - .275-12-55

IF the starters stay healthy and play at or near their ability, this is a potent offense. However, we all know that potential and production aren't the same thing, especially with the Nationals.

My guesses:
2)Belliard stays. He's cheap and has two more years on his contract, with no one being close to ready at the minor league level.
3)If Pena is out for a while, and if Dukes produces as hoped, I think Kearns gets traded during the season (for prospects or pitching), leaving an outfield of Pena - Milledge - Dukes. However, I really think Justin Maxwell is one year away from being a potent MLB bat.

Wins and losses? I think somewhere between 76 and 86 wins, depending on health and how the new park plays.

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | March 26, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Who is the emergency catcher? Aaron Boone?"

Robert Fick!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"1)Johnson doesn't get traded. He has two more years remaining and Marrero might/could be ready by then. Young is the one who gets traded as some point."

A good sign that this prediction is true will be if NJ "hurts" his hamstring about the end of April and has to miss two weeks.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Zimmerman on the cover of SI's baseball preview edition. Sort of. Cover is a foldout and he is on the inside portion of the fold.

Posted by: Uh-oh | March 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

PTBNL,

The reason Schroder was sent down is because he has options left, and while he had a great spring so did Hanrahan, who doesn't have any options left. And with Joel's spring he would never have cleared waivers.

GO NATS!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | March 26, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I would love it if someone resourceful here at NJ could provide the readers with the opening day 2005 roster.

Posted by: NYC Nats | March 26, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I am posting this from the previous thread, cause I am still not happy with Ray Ray.

I have never been a fan of Ray King. I know he's our "left handed specialist" out of the bullpen, but he "specializes" in giving up runs. He has been getting worse every year since 2004. Here is his ERA for the past 4 years:

2004 2.61 - Excellent
2005 3.38 - Good
2006 4.43 - Er...Not so good
2007 4.76 - Er...Bad
2008 ??? over 5.00 ???

I really had hoped that Maekawa could have come over because I think he would have been a really cheap alternative from the left side.

Posted by: Diz | March 26, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

No surprises!!!! BUT, they have some decisions to make in a few weeks......

1. Assuming no DL assignmments, when
Estrada,Hill & Wily Mo come back,
the assumption is that Flores will go to
AA and Harris & Mackowiak will be waived
two left-handed hitters they need.

2. BUT, Mackowiak has a $1.5M guaranteed
contract(not a good decision to release
him and Estrada has a $1.25M contract
(don't know if its guaranteed)

3. Manny likes to have a 12 pitcher staff,
5 staters and 7 bullpen pitchers.

4. Sounds like Wily Mo & Estrada could
remain on DL until an injury to another
player opens up a roster spot.

Posted by: Vienna | March 26, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Diz-

I hope you are wrong about Ray King, because he is a character, and I like him. It is a great thing about baseball that you get to care about individuals. Boz once wrote a great column on why baseball was better than football, and that was one of the most important ones.

Not only that, but we got Andrew LeFave for him, a really good minor league hitter and on-base machine who I think will taste the big leagues some day.

I had forgotten all about Maekawa by now.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Emergency catcher is probably Willie Harris or Rob Mackowiak.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | March 26, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

4. Sounds like Wily Mo & Estrada could
remain on DL until an injury to another
player opens up a roster spot.

Given our history that might take care of itself. But if not, I don't think they stay stashed there any longer than required to heal. Personally I think we'll be needing the WMP bat badly. Meanwhile the Estrada move should be directly tied into Flores heading to AA. (Hopefully he'll go on his own without an intervention).

Posted by: Bazz | March 26, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Joe Horgan
Antonio Osuna
Joey Eischen
Luis Ayala
Chad Cordero

Posted by: CluelessNat | March 26, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Using ERA to determine the value of a LOOGY has little merit, in my opinion.

King is on the roster to get left handers out. Whats his Batting Avg Against lefties? Or OPS? Or success with runners on base? Those numbers, for 2007 and his career, are solid and well above average.

He may give up several runs in one outing, but then will reel off 10-15 appearances without issue. If he only pitches to a batter at a time, his ERA will be bloated based on one poor outing.

I may be wrong, but todays outing may have been the first time all spring King has given up a run as well.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I still think Dmitri will get dealt before the break -- maybe even as soon as he shows he's fit. Orr will get called back up. Hang in there, Petey.

I agree with Diz about King. For a left-handed specialist, he's pretty weak. He's supposed to be in better shape this year. Maybe, that will make a positive difference. Otherwise, we need to find another lefty out of the pen. Certainly, long-term, we ought to get a couple of quality lefty arms out of the pen.

Overall, it's a pretty good team. If the staff stays healthy, and if Perez surprises all of us by pitching decently, the Nats may surprise a few people. We've got defense, a little pop, a little speed, some clutch hitters, and good pitching. We've come a long way in 4 years, but there's still some distance to go....Most of it, though, will come with experience. The talent is there, for the most part.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 26, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Diz, it sounds like you're really frustrated by Ray King (as certain other folks here are by a Mr. C. Cordero), but as I always say to them, the numbers aren't that bad. One day we'll want a bona fide left-handed wiz, but King is not bad by any statistical measure and he's certainly the best left-handed reliever in the system.

Now, don't get me wrong, handedness is one of the most overrated factors in baseball, in my opinion, but the fact that it's universally rated so highly alone makes it valuable strategically.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question for the true stat-heads out there:

Can anyone find an analysis of home team advantage? Does it really exist. Over the more than century baseball has been played, is there a definite difference - I'm talking a 99.9% confidence interval - between home average and away average?

Is it different in other sports?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Ray King equals "The Plan," the same way Mike Stanton did. We traded Mike Stanton twice for minor leaguers, and we are likely to do the same with Ray King. In the meantime, he will provide us with quality LOOGY work.

In the meantime, I have come to the unhappy realization that as a lower tier team, nobody is really going to want the players that we don't want either.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 26, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

You are correct, sir.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I think I understand why we have both D. Young and N. Johnson (and I think the folks on 506/Patrick Dempsey side of the room have it right)

But just how unusual is it for a team to carry two guys who can only play first base?

Is this, perhaps one of the key reasons why we've got a 4 man rotation, not an extra bat (which D. Young arguably is) or util-INF guy?

Anything from the Heidi Klum side of the room? Theories of what merits would be behind trading our left-handed, lightning-bolted might do for us? How would it fit into the [P]lan?

Posted by: i hate walks | March 26, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should have kept Lannan and sent Chico down. Chico has gotten blasted every time he pitched this preseason. Meanwhile, Lannan has pitched well and is twice the pitcher Chico every thought of being.

Posted by: Mike Hunt | March 26, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Diz --

As others have noted, using ERA to measure the quality of a situ-lefty doesn't give you an accurate picture, I'm afraid.

I prefer a ratio of BB:K/IP or something like that. It's a bit unscientific, I'm afraid, but that's baseball, I suppose.

Posted by: i hate walks | March 26, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Gosh I just love it when people talk about the O's even whem I'm not present in the thread. This shows that most of you are still O's fans (even if you're closet O's fans).

So, come on up I-95 and eat some Boog's BBQ, watch some exciting baseball as the O's battle for the AL East title. This is our year, our time to shine.

BTW, how many Calvert County little leaguers did the Nationals dedide to put on their opening day roster? They gotta be better than most of the players in the Nats farm system.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 26, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Home field advantage does exist. When a team plays at home, players must be in by 11pm or their wives will get pissed. On the road, they are out drinking until 2 or 3 am, thus their performance on the field suffers. An oh-two curveball is hard to hit when you are hung to the bejesus!

Posted by: 6th and D | March 26, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"I agree with Diz about King. For a left-handed specialist, he's pretty weak."

How is he weak?

Is he unable to bench 250 lbs? Is his spirit easily broken? Are his bones brittle?

Is it because of his 2007 ERA, which after giving up 4 runs in less than an innings work the second week of the season stood above 13.00?

Or his 2007 ERA which continually declined from that 4 run outing to the point were it ended at 4.76 after 67 appearances?

Couldnt be because he held left handed batters in 2007 to .187 batting average or .623 OPS or held batters to a .196 BA/.642 OPS with runners in scoring position is it? I wouldnt necessarily describe those stats as weak.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I havent had a chance to look it up, but I have read an analysis/article over at Baseball Think Factory on home field advantage.

I dont remember much from it other than the article hurt my brain.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm hallucinating again. Every time some one here mentions "losers" or "not worth a [RF]" I see "Former Browns," which is really an insult to the memory of Bill Veeck, but then, so is my whole team.
I just can't get spanked enough at home, so I come here.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 26, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

For O's Exec since he can't count...

Baltimore Orioles
Wins 69
Losses 93
Games Back 27

Washington Nationals
Wins 73
Losses 89
Games Back 16

Posted by: 6th and D | March 26, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Two random reactions to other posts:

1. Handedness does matter in baseball. All-time, left handed pitchers winning percentage is .514. Right handers are of course .486. Overall lefties offensive statistics are also higher. One needs balance on a roster of course, but the more lefties you have in general, the better off you are.

2. I read an article somewhere that showed in the four major sports, home field advantage in descending order went football, basketball, baseball, hockey. I think the home teams in baseball all time play at about .520, but I'm not sure about that. I admit to very fuzzy recollection on this one. The order of sports surprised me because baseball is the only one, I think, where the home team enjoys what is supposed to be a strategic advantage, batting last. Visitors even get to call the coin flip in football.

Posted by: #4 | March 26, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think Jose Guillen was on the Opening Day lineup in 2005. I could have sworn he wasn't traded to the Nats until mid-season 2005, but I checked and I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, glad you brought up the left handed batting average against King Mr. 12-8. I remembered it was under .200 but wasn't confident enough to post it. I don't think we need to freak out too much from today's performance.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 26, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@Os Exec,

The Nats roster cuts are harder than your team's because your management only has to decide which half of the Norfolk team will be at OPCY on Opening Day.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 26, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Chico over Lannan is most likely a reward to Matt for his efforts last year. Lannan has looked to be the better pitcher so far this spring, and you look at the improvement he made last year, it is pretty amazing for a guy who doesn't throw in the 90s. I do think that Lannan is the better pitcher, but agree with the decision to reward Chico and give him the final SP slot.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | March 26, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Point of clarification - O's exec: I hate the Orioles - always have. I remember going to see them play the Pirates at RFK in '73 (or so). One of the early efforts to force feed them down our throats in DC. I rooted for the Pirates (as I did in 79). I visited Camden Yards once when I was in Baltimore on business - they were playing the Mets (posing a real dilemma) - it was a terrible game in a hugely overrated venue (even Boog's barbeque was a disappointment but I should've known better in Maryland - stick to the crabcakes). The most exciting thing was watching a pair ducks blissfully stroll around centerfield for two innings. Fortunately, God was merciful and a thunderstorm came up in the fifth inning (of course that was nearly two half hours into the game) and I got to go home. The Orioles have NEVER been DC's team for those of us who grew up with the Senators.

There, that is out of my system. I strongly suspect that there will be absolutely no reason to discuss our neighbors on the junior circuit for the rest of the season. Let's play ball - I'm ready to go!

BTW, where is Hendo? I was gone for a couple of weeks and haven't seen him around. I am concerned about the quality of our poetry if we start the season without him.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't.

Feed.

the.

Trolls.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the shout out, lowcountry. I'm mostly over at NationalsPride.com these days, but keeping an eye out over here too -- and grateful to Barry and Dave for their work here!

Posted by: Hendo | March 26, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that you are still with us, Hendo.

506 - I will henceforth comply!

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

hendo, i had a feeling that was you but didnt know it and didnt think to check.

good stuff. i wouldnt mind picking your brain for a bit about somethings, plus i still owe you that maxwell story...

Posted by: theraph | March 26, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

And glad to know that y'all are continuing to keep the Nats blogosphere humming!

Without NJ to hold the keep the team (and the Post) honest, we'd be in a heck of a shape.

Keep the wisdom and wisecracks coming!

Posted by: Hendo | March 26, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Heavens, I can't keep up.

There is a definite home field advantage in baseball, but it tends to vary. I know that that may sound strange, but you have to remember that you can actually tailor the field to the team and the team to the park.

Also remember that with so many games you are not likely to have as much of a lopsided advantage as in some other sports.

As an example, a quick team would let the grass grow long, slowing down infield hits and allowing quick runners to beat out otherwise easy ground outs.

The reverse might be the Cards, when The White Rat was managing. They had real hard Astroturf and were able to build a team around its particular quirks.

Sure home-cooking helps, but a true home field advantage (i.e. one that provides more than just a few extra wins) is fairly rare. I'm sure that there have been some SABR articles. Maybe in one of the research journals. I'll try and check, but am sort of pushed for time right now.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 26, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Hendo! I'm very jealous that you managed to transform this blogging daliance into a respectable profession. (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this board). But I'm pleased that I will be able to continue to enjoy your insightful commentary, and, hopefully, occasional haiku.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Keeping Chico up over Lannan might be the team's way of avoiding the Ian Desmond syndrome mentioned earlier (where was that? Barry's chat?) They could risk him losing his head if they send Chico down down after a shaky outing or two. Especially when he only just recently adjusted his delivery.

Sending Lannan down while he's still on top is a different message than what Chico would get were he to be sent down right now.

I'm totally Lannan's mom, but I'm 100% behind Chico being up over him right now.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 26, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hendo - hope you did not abscond with Natsfan1a.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 26, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Checked Boz's assertion from today's article about the types of home runs Cahd gave up in RFK vs. on the road. He suggested that Chad's home runs would be our of any ballpark, thus he should not be affected by a move to Nats Park. I went to hittrackeronline, which is a website that analyzes home run distances. That site says that allof Chad;s RFK home runs were "just enough" types barely clearing the wall, while his road home runs were half "no doubt" and half "just enough." One would really need to look at his fly bal distances to understand the impact of the ballpark shift.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 26, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Hendo's already mentioned it here, but I recommend his blog:

If you're into stats nerdery or intellectually-tacking musing, and especially if you're the sort of person who enjoys mulling over a decent conundrum, it's worth checking out. It's like the parlor to the NJ dining room, except both Hendo and Barry are men of the people.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't.

Feed.

the.

Trolls.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 09:49 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Than how does your wife eat?

Posted by: Borat | March 27, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Hello fellas,

First time poster, been lurking all spring. Driving up from South Carolina on Thursday to JMU in Harrisonburg to get some pre opening night boozing in. Then Sunday its over to DC to hopefully scalp some opening night tickets.

Either way:

Question - Who surpasses expectations this season and who doesn't meet expectations?

My answer: Surpasses - Cristian Guzman

Doesn't: One of either a) Milledge b) Dukes (just don't see both living up to the hype.. would love to be proved wrong however)

thoughts??

Posted by: Zak | March 27, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Zak...say "hi" to the 'Burg for me. JMU class of '92 back in the Lefty days :)

Disagree somewhat on the expectations thing...mostly because I think it depends on what the expectations are. I don't have much faith in Guzman, so I'd guess he exceeds my expectations.

I think Milledge can go .270/15/15 with maybe 75 RBI and 90 runs scored, and I'd be surprised if he didn't. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did a lot better than that.

Dukes can rake, but we'll see. Very much depends on how much playing time he gets. My guess is that he's a year or two from showing us what he can really do.

I think the surprise of the year is going to be Kearns. Looks like he's going to enjoy hitting in the new park. And I expect Zim to take another step up this year.

And the big shocker could be Hanrahan...could he be closing by the end of the year? Could be, and he could be good at it.

I just can't wait for the real games to start. This season is going to be fun to watch. And I'm hoping to make a trip back east, so I can finally see the Nats in DC, instead of in Chavez Ravine or down at the Big A...Home of the Los Angeles, California Angels of Anaheim in Orange County.

Posted by: LANats | March 27, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Barry, does writing this stuff cause any problems in the clubhouse?

Call me a girl, but reading your (awesome) article on Johnson all I could think about was how I'd feel if I were Dmitri.

I guess they have pretty tough skins, but still...
____________________________
"...other infielders say -- both privately and publicly -- that they have more confidence in Johnson's ability to scoop out poor throws..."

Posted by: NatsNut | March 27, 2008 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of girls...

Zak. Lesson number one. It's not just fellas in here. ;)

Welcome aboard.
_____________

Hello fellas,

Posted by: Zak | March 27, 2008 01:02 AM

Posted by: NatsNut | March 27, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

LA Nats-

I like the way you talk about seeing the full potential of Dukes in a couple of years. I pray that he holds it together that long so we can see what kind of player he becomes.

Imagine eventually having a glut of really good players that requires us to trade some of them?

Posted by: Positively Half St | March 27, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: O's Exec | March 26, 2008 06:58 PM

Does the sun rise and set every day in your world?

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 27, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

We need another lefty ut there send down colome and pick up Aaron Fultz the indians released him a couple of days ago he'd be a goo pick up.

Posted by: DJ 36 | March 27, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

we need 2 lefties in the pen?

Posted by: 231 | March 27, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Below is a link to an article on home field advantage. It cites two studies that show baseball teams win about 53-54%. NFL football is about 55%. College football is 59%. Of course scheduling impacts that since the good teams play more home games in college football.

Posted by: #4 | March 27, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

This is what I was kinda trying to get at earlier about handedness being overrated. We don't REALLY need a left-hander or a right-hander in the pen, we need someone who can get out left-handed or right-handed batters. Theoretically, your left-handed specialist could be a right-hander who has amazing splits against lefties and you'd be in good shape.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 27, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Zak,

Welcome aboard.

FYI, the Nationals are going to be selling $5 day-of-game tickets all year, even for the opening game on Sunday. Details are on the Nationals' website in the press release about opening night events.

QUOTE FROM PRESS RELEASE:
"Grandstand tickets for Opening Night, in Sections 401 and 402, may be purchased for $5 at the Nationals Park Main Box Office, located on Half and N Streets, beginning at 3:30 pm on March 30. Fans may not camp out on Nationals Park grounds or line up for tickets prior to 3:00 pm. Fans may purchase only one ticket per person and must immediately enter the ballpark through the Center Field gates, located next to the Main Box Office. Please note, fans may not re-enter the ballpark once they exit through the gates at any time. The Grandstand seats are available for purchase only on day of game when gates open at Nationals Park, normally two and a half hours prior to first pitch."

The Braves did this at Turner Field during Kasten's years down there but I don't know if they still set aside day-of-game tickets anymore.

--- ---- --- ---

Hello fellas,

Posted by: Zak | March 27, 2008 01:02 AM

--- --- --- ---

Posted by: Section 222 (Wants the season to start) | March 27, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I would like to welcome the Lolcat that wrote this entry, and encourage more talking kittehs on board!

-------------------------

Posted by: DJ 36 | March 27, 2008 08:45 AM

Posted by: OMGZZZ!!!11!!1 | March 27, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

So, after NEEDLESSLY keeping Langerhans on the 40 man roster for close to a year and a half, sacrificing several players by trying to sneak them through waivers and having them claimed, he passes through waivers and is assigned to AAA. IDIOTS! Why didn't they do this in freaking september? Now we have 3 extra slots on the 40-man yet have lost promising players. dumb moves.

Posted by: Sec131 | March 27, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

How about a Post story on Dmitri?

He got the big bucks, promised to trim down to 230 or 240, but shows up at 300 pounds. The reason we are given is diabetes.

Maybe medical people and those struggling with diabetes can give insight on this. Is the balooned weight unavoidable? Does overweight exacerbate diabetes, or vice versa? How treatable is this, and what are we to think about Dmitri's level of commitment at this point? Is he doing the best he can?

Posted by: EdDC | March 27, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I am extremely glad I will not have to sit through the Ryan Langerhans Experience of wildly and ineffectually flailing at any pitches that bend, at least for the first few games this year. I was hoping we would release him to Mexico or Japan, but no such luck. (Wouldn't he rule in Japan? They'd rename the country the Islets of Langerhans!)

I think Wilford Brimley should do a vidcast about Dmitri's "diabetus."

Posted by: Lindemann | March 27, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

By name value alone, that might be the worst rotation in MLB.

Yikes.