Opening Night ticket lottery, etc.

Some of you asked about notifications of winners/losers in the lottery for Opening Night tickets -- the on-line lottery that ended last Friday. The Nationals told me that yes, indeed, emails have been sent out to the winners, so chances are if you don't have an email by now, you didn't win.

However, just to be sure, the Nationals will send out emails to the non-winners.

Also: It's clear not all the Opening Night tickets are gone, because there are still season-ticket packages available.

Still awaiting word on whether the $5 seats will be available the day of the game.

Stuff from today's game: Cardinals beat the Nationals, 3-0. Odalis Perez charged with three runs in six innings, but two of them came after Rob Mackowiak lost a ball in the sun in left field, a ball that dropped for a double and led to Albert Pujols's two-run single.

"He threw the ball very well," Manager Manny Acta said, "and he was able to mix all his pitches and he had command of his fastball. He used both sides of the plate very well, so he's ready to go. ... I can't ask for anything better."

Nats struggled offensively against Anthony Reyes. These position players have had about enough of spring training, I can tell you that.

Tim Redding: Played catch today. All went well. "He feels much better," Acta said. He should make his start on Friday with no problem.

Shawn Hill: Acta said the day after he threw was "better than expected." So the schedule remains for him to pitch every fifth day, and if there are no setbacks (obviously a big "if"), then he starts April 13.

And the workout for Dominican shortstop prospect Alvaro Aristy? That was pushed back because of logistics. Could be tomorrow, perhaps more likely to be Thursday morning.

That is all. Matt Chico's final start of the spring tomorrow, at Disney against the Braves.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 25, 2008; 5:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nick Johnson's hair: Lightning bolt
Next: 2008 Post Baseball Preview

Comments

*****************************************

What a shame the Nat's haven't sold out Opening Night at their brand new ballpark. I remember when we first opened Oriole Park at Camden Yards, no one could find a ticket to Opening Day. At least not this close to the start of the season.

If Nat's fans want to see a real, quality product put out on the field night in and night out I invite them to take a scenic trip up I-95 to OPACY and see the young, exciting baby-birds battle their way to the AL East, AL, and WS Championship this year.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, it seems that no trades are coming. All the more reason I think we should snag Vargas.

I got my "loser" e-mail from the Nats for the lottery, but it was a considerate touch (and an advertisement to buy season tickets).

The Nats should get a team barber:

LoDuca shaves a thoroughbred into his hair;

Dukes shaves an angel with halo into his hair;

Bergmann shaves NJ into his hair (double duty abreviation);

Lopez shaves a broken bench into his hair;

Milledge shaves a Met on bent knees into his hair.

Take this as a challenge that does not require haiku. If you do it in haiku, "double word score," I guess.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 25, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I won't do this again, but I meant "abbreviation."

I spell well. Mistakes are typos, for friends of an editorial bent.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 25, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

[carried forward from previous post]

KGWCOACH, it seems to me that if this were a useful strategy to use in the major leagues, someone would have already done it (and I'm talking about for a full season; not just for a few games when you have a good hitting pitcher).

Assuming (in La Russa's case) that he's putting a weak hitting position player 9th, he's not really gaining much at the "new" top of lineup (i.e., 9-1-2) since that guy's not going to be on base much to begin with.

And whatever he does gain by that, he'll lose by having his pitcher strand a lot of 5-6-7 hitters (keeping in mind that in MLB the pitcher is going to be significantly worse than the other hitters, unlike college/high school/etc).

I suspect what La Russa's doing will probably turn out to have close to zero net effect on runs scored; I just find it a little irritating since it's obvious that the primary purpose is to push his image as a genius.

Posted by: joebleux | March 25, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Barry, did any of the Nats execs mention how many tickets went out (or at least were made available) in the lottery? A poster on the Nationals.com messageboard said he was in their offices today because he'd been mailed the wrong tickets and had to drop those tickets off, and that he was told that only 5-10 people would "win" this lottery. If the story is to be trusted and the Nats person knew what they were talking about, 5 to 10 is a pretty absurd number to release in this manner. Hard to look at this whole deal as anything but a cheap trick to get more email addresses to which the Nats could send solicitations for season tickets.

Posted by: mrlogical | March 25, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Still have not gotten my "PRESALE" od tix. The Nats say wait until Friday. If they don't come, I can call and they will print new ones. Crazy man. Crazy. Mail must be way slow from the Yukon.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 25, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I won the lottery! At first got the cruelest joke, a congratulations subject with no body to the email! Then got a corrected email, have the chance to buy 2 tix Wednesday 9am to Thursday 9am. It isn't guaranteed and they talk about the virtual waiting room again. Wish me luck!

Posted by: Bethesda | March 25, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I won the on sale day lottery, then I sold my tix at five times what I paid for them, making me a double winner. Thank you, StubHub.

Posted by: pondaz | March 25, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

These projections are from the last thread, and are as close as a Belichick Super
Bowl victory. For CE, who wanted to know what kind of record this guy had in the past: For the Nats, he's been off by 3 games in 2007; 4 games in 2006; and 2 games in 2004.

Diamond Mind Projection Blowout puts each team through 1000 iterations on 6 computer models. It predicts a 2008 Nats season of 70-92. Past accuracy record: It predicted 70-92 in 2007, when the Nats went 73-89; 75-87 in 2006 when the Nats went 71-91;and 79-83 in 2005 when the Nats went 81-81.

"The 2008 Diamond Mind Projection Blowout

Opening Day is almost here, so it's time to present my annual Diamond Mind Projection blowout. The idea behind this is to take several projection systems and run the 2008 season through Diamond Mind Baseball, which I consider to be the most statistically accurate baseball simulator out there.
This year, I'm using six different projection systems, and I've run each one 1000 times for a total of 6000 iterations.

Sean Smith's CHONE. Sean blogs at Anaheim Angels all the Way and does some of the best analysis out there.

Diamond Mind's own projections.

The Hardball Times' projections, which are available in their season preview.

PECOTA by Nate Silver at Baseball Prospectus, which are generally considered the best projections.

ZiPS by Dan Szymborski from Baseball Think Factory. Dan's ZiPS are also higly regarded in the forecasting community.

Last and probably least, CAIRO, my own projection system which is new for 2008.

NL East

Mets
Projected W-L: 95-67
Playoff %: 85%
Best Average Projection: ZiPS (99-63)
Worst Average Projection: Diamond Mind (92-70)
The Mets are probably not the best team in baseball, but they have a very good chance of winning the most games. They added the best pitcher in the game to a strong defensive team that can hit a little. Put them in a division where they get to beat up on Washington and Florida 38 times and you've got the recipe for a 95+ win team. The Mets made the playoffs more often than any other team in these simulations. Their biggest weakness may be depth in the starting rotation, but you can say that about everyone except Milwaukee probably. I assumed about 170 innings for Pedro Martinez and 120 innings for El Duque, although it still pains me to see him in an orange and blue clown suit.

Braves
Projected W-L: 87-75
Playoff %: 40%
Best Average Projection: ZiPS (94-68)
Worst Average Projection: Chone (84-78)
I think Atlanta's going to end up better than that projected 87-75 average, but I don't know if they'll be good enough to catch the Metsies.

Phillies
Projected W-L: 86-76
Playoff %: 33%
Best Average Projection: Hardball Times (90-72)
Worst Average Projection: Cairo (82-80)
Lots o' runs. Scored and against. I think Cairo's way pessimistic here, but I do think the Phillies' pitching is suspect. They project to be the second highest scoring team in baseball, and that's without a DH. I repeat it every chance I get, but Chase Utley is an outstanding player.

Nationals
Projected W-L: 70-92
Playoff %: 1%
Best Average Projection: Pecota (74-88)
Worst Average Projection: ZiPS (69-93)
I have no rational reason for it, but I think Washington will be a little better than this. Must be my latent man-love of Nick Johnson.

Marlins
Projected W-L: 68-94
Playoff %: 0%
Best Average Projection: Pecota (74-88)
Worst Average Projection: Hardball Times (63-99)
Here's a fun game. See if you can name half of Florida's roster..."

Posted by: flynnie | March 25, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pondaz | March 25, 2008 07:02 PM
___________________________________________

Hopefully your scalper-a$$ will get a severe case of testicular cancer.

Scalpers are P.O.S.

Posted by: Scalp-Free Zone | March 25, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I "won" the lottery too, but I was wondering how many of those winner emails went out. I thought they might have gone to everyone who entered, but I guess not from the information posted here. I also got the first email with nothing in the body. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning whether or not I can really buy tickets. The email had a one-time code I'm supposed to use, but I don't know if the site will be swamped.

Posted by: dc | March 25, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I've played and coached a lot of baseball at a lot of locations around the U.S., but I've never seen a tougher sky in which to track a fly ball than Viera.

It is impossible.

Posted by: Frank in Funfax | March 25, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

joebleux,
La Russa's a stat guy. I just believe there is something that over a period of games he has seen that appears to breaks the percentages his way. This may be the season he confirms or destroy that belief at the majors.

I have found that there are some things that just work for you in certain situations that go against popular beliefs. When they work it doesn't make you a genius it, you have just been around long enough catch a trend that you can work into your favor. That "experience" can give you a game or two a season that other managers don't get. Its possible that it won't do anything for him. I just don't know what his feel is for the bottom third and the 1 2 batters of his hitting lineup. But I have had enough success with it that I can't knock him for trying it.

Posted by: kgwcoach | March 25, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

You really need to lay off the Natty Boh.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 25, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

are the nats scouting Alvaro Aristy or is that just like a random post?

Posted by: j-dog | March 25, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

are the nats scouting Alvaro Aristy or is that just like a random post?

Posted by: j-dog | March 25, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

To continue from the previous post:

Power Shortstops: Ernie Banks played more than 1/2 of his games at corner infield, not SS. He is listed, in the official MLB roster as a first baseman. Stephens had 3 decent power years in a 15 year career. Not exactly a fence buster. Rollins is post Cal, Jr.

LaRussa's "experiment". An interesting take. If I am not mistaken, Tony L. has a very quick hook. If you assume that he is only looking to go once through the lineup as presented and will be perfectly comfortable with the concept that in, say, 120 games he intends to replace the pitcher after 16 of his allotted at bats are done (Remember that, in home games this may well give the pitcher an easy 5 innings), it might be valid. Let's discuss in July.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 25, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

O's Troll, On Cracky in Opacy, take your Diamond Mind Prediction up 95 and reflect in silence:

Orioles
Projected W-L: 67-95
Playoff %: 0%
Best Average Projection: ZiPS (69-93)
Worst Average Projection: Chone (64-98)
Dan Szymborski the Oriole fanboy clearly rigged ZiPS to favor Baltimore. Seriously, if you wanted to pick the team most likely to lose 100 games this season, this is your squad. They have some potentially exciting players to watch in Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, but the other four teams in this division all project to be above .500 and that's almost half of the Orioles' schedule. No other team failed to win their division at least once.

Posted by: flynnie | March 25, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

** drops pin **

Posted by: Wigi | March 25, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course, since then the Dime Museum opened, so now there are two things to do in Baltimore, and attendance has suffered a bit, except when NY or Boston is in town with 20,000 friends.

************
Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 06:13 PM

Posted by: MIB | March 25, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

The Nats are still holding back tickets for "NEW" season ticket sales. Which means they aren't awarding them in the lottery.

If the Nats aren't awarding all the tickets in the lottery, when will they release those seats and how? And if they aren't awarding them all, what's the point? I mean, if they haven't sold the full season plan by now, they aren't going to.

Am I right?

Posted by: Sec 114, Row E | March 25, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey O's Exec - can't you find an O's blog to indulge in your delusions? This constant taunting is juvenile and pathetic. I seriously doubt if most Nats fans really care that much about your team. If you have found bliss with the current version of the O's then then party on and leave us alone.

Posted by: loman | March 25, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

114E, I don't see any reason for them not to wait until the last minute. They can always sell them at the gate, since people will be expecting to get some walkup tickets.

Probably.

Posted by: CE | March 25, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I tried taunting and making juvenile jokes on the Orioles blog, but they took away my cablevision and gave me a wedgie, so I came here.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

That was NOT me. Obviously. Since, like, everything was spelled right and all.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Pay no accusion to the man behind the tension.

Posted by: Ozeggzek | March 25, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

all of the nats fans stink go O's

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

all of the nats fans stink go O's

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Catcher50:

I can't go down without a fight. Ernie Banks played 7 seasons as an everyday SS between 1954- 1961. During that time he averaged 37 HR's per year. His HR production significantly decreased when he moved to 1B. The position shift and power reduction happened because he injured his legs. Vern Stephens was an everyday SS for 9 years, 1942- 1950. During that time he averaged 23 HRs per season. Taking just the first 11 seasons for Cal 1982 - 1993, which encompass his best offensive years and discount his decline with age, he averaged 24.75 HRs per year. Banks had a lot more power than Cal. With Stephens that's hardly a huge difference particularly when you factor in that Cal was playing in a more homer happy era. I still think it's accurate to say that Banks and Stephens were the first power hitting shortstops.

Also, I like to stop the talk about Vargas and Reyes and all these other so-so starters the Nats could pick up. I would greatly prefer that they bring up any or all of the starters at Columbus if the current staff goes down. They don't need to waste innings on guys that are short term and mediocre.

Posted by: #4 | March 25, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Although Ripken did pass Banks' record for HRs by a shortstop, Ern held the record for quite some time.

Posted by: CE - kibbitz | March 25, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Two other things to note:

1. In a 6 year span while playing SS, Banks hit over 40 HRs five times. Cal's best single season total was 34.

2. Stephens' high mark as an SS was in 1949 when he hit 39 HRs, again better than any one season for Cal.

Posted by: #4 | March 25, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Diamond Mind Blowout gives the Yankees a 53% chance of winning the AL East and the Red Sox a 34% chance. AL Central: Detroit 54%, Cleveland 42%. AL West: Angels 67%, Oakland 21% and Seattle, with Erik Bedard, only 8% (!). NL East, Mets 70%, Atlanta 17%, Phillies 13%;NL Central: Cubs 53%, Brewers 30%, Cards 8%. NL West: Dodgers 28%, Padres 27%, Diamondbacks 23%, and Rockies 20%. The top four teams in the NL West project within two games of each other. It should be a dogfight all year.

"The consensus is the Yankees are the best team in the American League. This doesn't seem unrealistic if their young pitchers perform as projected, but that's a really big if. On offense, the Yankees scored 1000 or more runs in 376 of the 6000 computer runs, so about 6% of the time. For comparison's sake, Boston did it 12 times, Detroit did it 13 times, Atlanta did it twice, Philadelphia did it 31 times, Milwaukee did it twice and Colorado did it 4 times. At least statistically, the conventional wisdom that Boston is the clear class of the division is just not true on virtual paper."

Posted by: flynnie | March 25, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

If you want to talk numbers, I've got two of them for you: 30 and 3.

As for attendance, let's talk again later in the season. Your numbers would be next to nothing if it wasn't for those nice Yankee and Red Sox always helping you out...

************
Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 06:13 PM

Posted by: BSG | March 25, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

#4 - Banks also played at Wrigley, where every fly ball was a home run if the wind was blowing out. I love him, but I remember those 20-18 games, and put Cal in them, and, well, I think he hits for more power than Ernie. Does that still happen in Wrigley? It doesn't seem to, but maybe I'm just not noticing. If now, what changed it?

Posted by: flynnie | March 25, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!! The "$5" tickets for opening day are already available for purchase on razorgator.com!! There are currently 35 tickets for sale in section 401, ranging in price from $135-$187. Hurry while supplies last!

Also-if you are handicap good luck finding parking at the stadium!! In all seriousness, I am headed to the opener with my father who requires handicap parking. I searched nationals.com for quite some time and couldn't find any info. I called the contact number and WAS TOLD this had been overlooked-and they were working on securing a handicap lot. They said an email would go out within the week-that was last Tuesday.

This actually adds up to a pretty fun time for our senior citizen fan base, as they can purchase some "$5" tickets within their budget, and then burn out the wheels on their walkers/wheelchairs on their way to the stadium.

.........

Posted by: Kevin O | March 25, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

i agree about scalpers being bad, but the jewels are off limits, even for making money off our suffering

Posted by: love | March 25, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Kevin O - Are any of the RFK shuttles dedicated to the handicapped, and will they drop off passengers at the gate? I've been to the new park, and it's just a huge construction zone. Boz predicted that this would be unacceptable to a fan-base used to the two great amenities of RFK - parking and easy in and out. Making elderly people wait for buses is awful, but there's no handicap parking at Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or Wrigley that I ever noticed. I hope your Dad can goto some games with you, somehow.

Posted by: flynnie | March 25, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Walkers have wheels? Cool. I thought it was just tennis balls.

Alright, the Nats appear to be better off heading into the 2008 season than in previous years. Pretty well established bullpen. Couple of promising, young building blocks. Couple of players in their prime above league average. Deeper starting rotation. Legit, lower level minor league prospects.

Sure, there are flaws. I'm pretty excited, however. Really looking forward to seeing Milledge and the young SP's develop over the course of the season.

Seems the most obvious long term issues for the Nats are SP, SS & 2B. What are the long term solutions? Not sure if anyone's checked out the 2009 free agent market, but it seems pretty comparable to 2008. Not alot to offer based on the Nats needs, though a bit better group of SP's.

The draft this year seems short on middle infielders that could advance quickly as well. I'm not as concerned about the starting pitching, as the lower level SP depth clearly is a strength in the Nats system.

So my question is this - How will the Nats solve their middle infield situation for 2009 and beyond? Plug the positions with stopgaps until a high school draft pick or latin american free agent progresses through the system? Sign O Hudson maybe?

At what point in the plan should fans expect big free agent signings?

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 25, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

well... if they hold onto him, belliard covers 09 at 2nd. ss, however, will probably have to come from a trade.

Posted by: 231 | March 26, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure my dad and i will be able to make our way into the game, my comments were meant to point out that all of us are getting WORKED. The "$5" tickets are described as such on the website:

"Grandstand $5
Day of game purchases ONLY. Purchases can be made at the Nationals Park Box Office after gates have opened. ONE TICKET PER PERSON."

Yet these $5 tix are on razorgator.com....

And the handicap thing is just insult to injury. I mean I see your point with Wrigley, Fenway, and Y Stadium-but all of these were built well before 2008. Its not as if the space isn't there, they just choose to use it for $$$$ lots. And handicap people do have/spend money-which just furthers the confusion for me. As for the shuttles, I don't recall, the guy I spoke with didn't mention them.

Posted by: Kevin O | March 26, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Couple tidbits on handicapped parking/transportation from a recent Nats press release:

"For those who need accessible parking on a single game basis, the Nationals have reserved a limited number of $35 accessible parking spaces in LOT "E". These spaces may only be purchased online at nationals.com/waytogo, starting March 26. Fans must present a state or DC-issued disabled parking placards/license plates, as well as their single game parking pass purchased on-line. Guests of Nationals Park are strongly encouraged to arrive to this lot at least an hour or more prior to game time to have an opportunity to access these spaces.

In addition, there are a number of free, designated accessible parking spaces at RFK Stadium, available 90 minutes prior to each game. A free shuttle bus service, the Nats Express, will drop off passengers five blocks from the ballpark at 300 M St., SE; and pick them up at the same place postgame for the return trip to RFK Stadium. Wheelchair accessible motor coaches are also available from RFK to 300 M Street and back."

Is it really shocking to see tickets being scalped for the season opener of a brand new ballpark, even tickets that may not have been released yet?

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Going to Opening Day isn't quite as bad as going barhopping on New Year's Eve, but it's definitely optional. Sold-out games are nice for playoffs.

Or was I spoiled by all those years at Candlestick? Fans by the hundreds would come out to see the Giants in those days...

Posted by: MIB Amatuer night | March 26, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

LDO, the shocking part is someone thinking that handicapped accesss means dropping people off at 300 M SE, fully half a mile from their seat. I'd like to see Stan try that on one foot, with a walker, in traffic.

Posted by: CE | March 26, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I'd agree...I'm not sure how the sidewalks and curbs are set up but I would imagine a handicapped stop along Potomac or Tingey near the blue parking lots would provide much easier access.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Mr. 12-8,
Boswell has an interesting article up about our core hitters and bullpen in relation to the new park.

I still agree that we seem better off this year, but his take is interesting.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 26, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

If you jokers really want to talk attendance let's look at the FACT that by the Nat's 3rd year in town the team lost an average of 10,000 fans (that's TEN THOUSAND) per game. Let me repeat that:

TEN THOUSAND per game

It took the O's 8 straight losing seasons before their attendance fell by 10,000 per game.

The Nat's dropoff is with the team being still new to town and the flavor of the month. Also, don't try to argue that all of that drop off has to do with RFK. No matter how crummy a stadium is it's still no excuse for 10K fans not showing up per game by year 3 of the team being in town.

That's down right pathetic.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 26, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Ocho-nothing seems to be on sale but i'll keep checking.

Nick The Stick is back!!!

Posted by: Kevin O | March 26, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

If I was a fan of Baltimore, I'm not sure if I would have used the whole "O's 8 straight losing seasons" part as a substantive argument

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Got 2 tix today! Section 235! Woo-hoo!

Posted by: Bethesda | March 26, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Well, O's exec - the real drop off for the Os started post Cal. Post 2001. When did they hit a 10K drop off? 2005? So 4 years to drop off? With two of the biggest road draws in baseball packing your place? As a Sox fan, I'm really glad to support your attendance. Be sure to wear red so you can fit in with the crowd when the Nation comes in for its weekend series. Cue Tessie.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 26, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse