Dukes: Probation over

The club has not been forthcoming with details of Elijah Dukes's plans, so I'm quite familiar with the Hillsborough County (Fla.) courts by now. The St. Petersburg Times, however, reported that Dukes's probation for a misdemeanor drug charge last year is now over because he did community service at a zoo in Tampa.

Here's the original story. It includes the following from the report:

"You are in a wonderful position to be such a positive influence on so many young people that these are the kinds of things that prevent you from being that example," Hillsborough County Judge John Conrad told Dukes, according to the report. "With great gifts I think you have great responsibilities as well. I'm hoping this experience, albeit for six months ... will at least set a positive turn for your future."

Originally, I was told Dukes would report to Viera to rehabilitate his hamstring. That didn't happen. He did, however, do 25 hours of community service cleaning at the Lowry Zoo.

Duke's attorney didn't immediately return a call seeking comment. GM Jim Bowden said yesterday that Dukes is getting better and could begin a rehab assignment within a week or so. Dukes said his hamstring is finie.

Here's the background on the probation -- and a hearing that was apparently moved from yesterday -- in the Post a couple weeks ago.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 25, 2008; 11:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Connor a winner, and what to make of Milledge
Next: Dukes attorney: "There's nothing hanging over his head"

Comments

Nice work with the simultaneous posts, Barry for Prez

Posted by: CN | April 25, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

So in short, Jimbo kinda just flatly lied in his teeth about the primary reason Dukes was in Florida. It strikes me that this is the type of coddling and overprotection that Dukes has had for his entire athletic career. Here's an idea for you, Jimbo: how about just telling the truth, and if Dukes is a little embarrassed by it, let that be part of his rehabilitation process.

Posted by: joebleux | April 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

When and where is everyone meeting on Sunday? I can't find the post by natsfan1a that originally put the info out...

Posted by: BigNatsFan | April 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Cleaning up the Zoo high would be awesome.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 25, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"How hard is it to learn to be at work on time?"

Barry, obviously you've never been, worked with or had a friend who's a musician. "On time" is a concept, an abstraction to folks like us. What time is the gig? I'll be there by then. What, get there early? Okay, sure. What time is the gig again?

Remember, Lastings is a musician, and obviously a talented and creative person in other areas of endeavor too - like baseball. Creative talent in a person usually has an inverse relationship to punctuality and clock-watching. People like Lastings have to learn to conform to the scheduled folks in the world, and it's usually not easy. This is a step in Lastings's learning process. Don't overblow it.

Posted by: the musicians union | April 25, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious, 506.

LateStings clearly needs an attitude adjustment. And there's not really anyone on the team to play the Sarge. As Lenny Harris pointed out, we don't have a whole lot of veteran leadership.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The team's reticence to provide details doesn't make much sense, particularly since they've made a lot of press about the plan (not to be confused with The Plan). And for the team to provide misleading statements to Barry is insulting and not very bright -- as if Barry's not smart enough to do a little digging on his own?? Go figure.

Posted by: N@sfan | April 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

What? We can't rehabilitate our hamstrings while we're at the zoo? No wonder we're always limping!

Posted by: zoo animals the world over | April 25, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Also, O'Connor got the call at 2:00 pm and was at the park by 5:20? Gee, you think he was eager to get here?"

he was sposed to pick me up and give me a ride to the game cause my ride's in the shop. but he blew me off. didn't want to out him on his first day back, but now yall makin a big deal bout it...

Posted by: lastings | April 25, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Here it is again, BigNatsFan:

Hey, fellow Nats fans and Constituents, it's almost time for the NJ faithful's first gathering of 2008!

Date: Sunday, April 27

Time: From 11:35 AM to approx. 1:05 PM (game time vs. the Cubs is 1:35 PM)

Where: We will plan to meet at Nationals Park on the right-field side of the center field gate (which opens 2.5 hours before game time) on the main concourse level. Somebody will be posted in that area with a Planet NJ sign, name tag, or some such identifier. Our scouts plan to arrive earlier and attempt to snag a picnic table (the tables are located behind sections 142 and 143 on the main concourse level). One of our scouts has learned that the tables can only be reserved as part of a group ticket package. However, unreserved tables may be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our fall-back plan will be to pull up cement seats in a remote area of the park or to seek out the standup tables just inside the home plate gate. See the team site for a map of the main concourse level.

Attire: Baseball casual

What to bring: Your own drinking water and food (unless you plan to buy it inside the park). A blanket in case we are not able to snag a table and need to pull up cement seats in a remote area of the park. Something to donate for the baseball equipment drive, if you are so inclined (details available via team site).

For Nationals policy on outside food and beverages, see the excerpt below (cut and pasted from the A-Z Guide on the team site):

"All food items must be contained in single serving bags within a soft-sided container or cooler, that does not exceed 16" x 16" x 8". Metal, plastic or glass containers of any kind (except for factory-sealed, plastic water bottles, no larger than 1 liter and juice boxes) are prohibited at Nationals Park. Only one bottle of water per person will be permitted."

Your hosts include: Natsfan1a, NatsNut, Hendo, and our special guest host - John in Mpls (only he'll be in D.C., not Mpls, but I digress).

Please join us so that we can put faces to the monikers (and see some familiar faces again)!

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Can't make it this time 'round because we have some friends coming with us to the park (gulp, Cubs friends).....put me down for next time though.

Posted by: Corey | April 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with joebleux re. Bowden's not telling the truth about Dukes' situation. They aren't doing Dukes any favors with his reformation efforts by doing that rather than being up front, IMO.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Heck, Corey, we wouldn't turn away Cubs friends if you wanted to bring 'em. The more, the merrier, IMO.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@natsfan1a,

JimBow shading the truth? Shocking, I say! Just shocking!

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Corey, we're just going to stand around chatting, matching faces to monikers, and then disburse to our regular game-going routines. This is not that formal. Even lurkers are welcome, right?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 25, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

after all, jimbow's been representing himself as a competent gm, right?

Posted by: natsscribe | April 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Definitely!

---

Posted by: NatsNut | April 25, 2008 12:33 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Bob, I hope you aren't advocating taping a sign to his locker that says "know your role, rook"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

About Lastings being late. When I was 21 or 22 I would come running into work, always racing the clock, but rarely technically late. Sometimes 2 minutes before, sometimes 2 minutes after. But always racing. I seriously thought my boss was a jerk for mentioning it in a review because in my mind I was never late.

Obviously in hindsight I realize I didn't appear serious, prepared, or even engaged. It appeared exactly how it was--I didn't care about my job and I wanted to put off going until the last possible moment.

Whether Lastings is technically late or not, if he's always racing the clock and pushing the threshold, it just looks BAD all around.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info natsfan1a!

Posted by: BigNatsFan | April 25, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, BigNatsFan.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You'd think that the Honorable Judge John Conrad, knowing that his words had the potential for making the sports pages in Tampa/St.Pete and DC could have done better than paraphrasing Stan Lee and "The Amazing Spiderman." Ugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hillsborough County Judge John Conrad told Dukes, according to the report. "With great gifts I think you have great responsibilities as well..."

By Barry Svrluga | April 25, 2008; 11:31 AM ET

Posted by: MKevin | April 25, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I will be doing that Parent thing on Sunday and miss the NJ extravaganza as well as the Cubs series.

Two observations about yesterday. First Barry/Dave have seven postings and the Nats score 10. I'm just saying.

Second, you may have missed it, but the Reyes error on a routine ground ball was in fact the baseball gods smiling upon us and rewarding us for our perserverance. The hex has been lifted and passed to the Mets.

Posted by: Section 311 | April 25, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Someone told me it's all happening at the zoo. I do believe it. I do believe it's true.
*************
Cleaning up the Zoo high would be awesome.
Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 25, 2008 11:55 AM

Posted by: MIB S&G oldies | April 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope the gathering is good this time. I can't make it to this one, but the pregame for the last game at RFK was a great time. I hope we'll have another one before the year is through.

Posted by: IBC | April 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Last year's gathering *was* fun, IBC. Sorry you won't be able to make it this time. As previously noted, some of already us have tix for the July 4 P-Nats game and we'll have some kind of get-together at the Pfitz then. Perhaps a more conventional tailgate. There will be a fireworks display after the game.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of lurkers (which I have been a huge one recently, maybe time to change my moniker to "PosterNowLurker"?), I will have to miss this gathering as well. Georgetowner and I had tickets to game but exchanged them due to Sunday still being Passover. While we did the walk both ways for the exhibition game (4.5 miles each way), we are not up for it this time. Similarly, we will miss the P-Nats gathering because it will be on the Sabbath (and we will be in NY for the Yankees-Red Sox game that afternoon). I'm hoping there might be another one that I can make. If not this season, then next season.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | April 25, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

We will keep you posted, LNP. Perhaps we'll have another gathering in September.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse