Afternoon tea chit-chat with Bowden

Some highlights (and some quasi-transcripted material) from Jim Bowden's session with the media this afternoon.

* First, a vote of confidence for Lenny Harris. He's part of the solution to Washington's hitting woes, Bowden said. Not a reason for them.

* Second, a vote of support for Jesus Flores. He'll be hard to remove from the lineup if and when Paul Lo Duca returns.

Because I was in a rush to summarize this for the blog before the game started, and because a lot of loud Jay-Z hip-hop provided some interference on the tape recorder, I couldn't hear every question. But everything below is verbatim. Even the farting stuff. Yes. Especially the farting stuff.

On the team's offensive struggles: I've been surprised. But we're playing good baseball. We're catching the ball. Third in the league in errors. Lot of young hitters in the outfield that are learning and developing at the ML level. It's gonna take patience. We can all go back and read the quotes when we made the trade with Church and Schneider. We said it was better short term for the Mets, better long term for us. And that's what we believe. When Lastings is 28, we can look back and say in the Long run the Nationals got the best of it. ... That being said, we expected them to hold their own, which some of them are not.

On rushing players to the ML level: I'll always say this. I can develop a player a lot faster facing Cole Hamels last night than if he's facing Triple AAA pitcher. They will develop and learn quicker. It's just very painful to watch.

On Lenny: Look, Lenny works extremely hard. I come down early, he's in the video room with Lastings Milledge. He's in the cage down there with Elijah Dukes. He's working very hard. When a group doesn't perform, you never point to one person, not one player, not one hitting coach. There's always enough blame to go around to everybody. What's important is how to fix it. ... He's learning a lot. He's utilizing more video than when he came in. he's extremely open-minded. Lenny's been able to listen and learn from everyone.

On Jesus Flores: Last night he called a phenomenal game with Bergmann. He made the great block at the plate. And the thing that's most impressive with Jesus - last year he struggled, mechanically, his approach with pop ups. This year he's catching all of us. ... He's developing before our eyes.

On whether Flores should stay in the lineup once Lo Duca is healthy: You have to give him more at bats and more games, but since he's been back this time he's certainly showed that. ... it's going to be extremely hard to take him out of the lineup if he plays like this. We're about developing players.

On the draft: It is the biggest decision we make every year... that is where we are competing with the biggest markets in baseball. We have the best scouts in the game. We throw a lot of money into it, a lot of research, a lot of work. Mike Rizzo and Dana Brown, I've said it before, are the two best scouting directors in the game, and we have both of them. Working every day, they're on flights every day. I went with them for two weeks, Mike Rizzo and I, and you're up on an airplane to Nashville, Tenn., and all of a sudden you're in Ontario, you're in Texas, you're in SC, then you're in Florida, and that's all you do every day. And people fart on the airplane and it's horrible, and I had to call time-out on one because the stench was so bad that I just couldn't take it. The stewardess was spraying Lysol up and down and it was embarrassing. I said, look, go to the bathroom. There's no need for this! ... Have more respect for the person next to you! Stop farting!

On the outfield prospects in the minors: Let me say this, if we have a young player that is ready for the big leagues that is better than what we have in the big leagues, they will play in the big leagues regardless of who they are. I've never cared about where a guy is drafted... it's all about winning. If there comes a time when we feel that Justin Maxwell of Mike Daniel or Michael Burgess are better than what we have here, then they will play ahead of them. Period.

On Bergmann: He's been phenomenal. He's commanding much better... Now his shoulder is closed, the breaking ball is working and he's been able to keep the ball away from the middle of the plate. He's had two great outings. Let's hope he keeps it up.

On Kearns: I'm concerned about Austin. There's concern if it doesn't get better in the next few days. We're hoping the swelling goes down and he can play this weekend, but if he can't play by Monday we'll have to disable him.

On solving the hitting issues: We've got to get Lastings and Elijah and Wily Mo and Austin hitting. That's the solution. It's not to bring up Maxwell and Daniel before they're ready.

On whether Harris is part of solving those problems: Absolutely. He's being a part of it right now. We may not have the results yet, but we're making progress. They look better. We haven't seen it in the game yet, but we're seeing it outside of the game. It's coming. You may see it by the end of the weekend; that's how quick it's coming.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 21, 2008; 7:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups
Next: Minor league report

Comments

New posted...

Wow, if none of you have heard yet, Church just suffered his 2nd concussion of the year when he self-lessly tried to break up a double play. He took a knee to the head, really hard. I just saw the video, man, that looked painful.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Alrighty. At least we know that Bowden's part of the problem now!

Posted by: Chris | May 21, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

the On-Lenny stuff is exactly what I wanted to hear. This is more specific than the happy-smile stuff Lenny himself gives us and it's what I was hoping he was doing.

The farting quotes are priceless. Gotta love Bowden.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

There must be A LOT of Phillies fans in the crowd. I've had the game on in the background and when I heard all the cheering I came running in thinking the Nats just did something good. It was Feliz's homer, fer crying out loud.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

From the draft quote "Nashville, Tenn., and all of a sudden you're in Ontario, you're in Texas, you're in SC, then you're in Florida"

My matching of cities to players:
Nashville - 3B Pedro Alvarez (Vanderbilt)
Ontario - Canadian HS CA Brett Lawrie
Texas - That could be quite a few people. OF Jordan Danks or Roger Kieschnick. RHRP Andrew Cashner. There are a couple of high schoolers Tyler Ladendorf and Robbie Grossman.
South Carolina - Justin Smoak is the obvious thought here

Posted by: Brian | May 21, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut -- working hard doesn't mean he's working well. The approaches at the plate this team takes are pathetic. Listen to some of the things Ray Knight says during this game and some of the other games. You can tell he's pained by how bad their approach is sometimes.

Posted by: Chris | May 21, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

So who thinks the Nats are going to wait 4-5 years for Lastings to breakout?

Posted by: Tom | May 21, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

wow. what a waste of that inning...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

forget snakes on a plane, *farts* on a plane are *MUCH* scarier.

Posted by: 231 | May 21, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm still laughing about someone talking about how great Aaron Boone is, who's only here because his Daddy is. He's not been effective since he broke his leg playing basketball, which, if he was a black guy or a Latino guy, people would still be criticizing him for. Journeyman is being kind.

Posted by: natty boy | May 21, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

We need to bring up some slow pitch sluggers to face Moyer.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 21, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Brian-

Thanks for sharing that outside your web site.

Between Ray Knight, and especially Rob Dibble on XM, I am SO tired of hearing about te Cincinnati Reds of the early 1990s. Guys, they won the WS once! They were not some kind of dynasty. Enough already!!!!

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 21, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

All-

Are you finally with me about Lopez over Belliard?

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

nattyboy, since you can't tell the difference between "great" and "not a journeyman," maybe i shouldn't worry too much about the rest of your analysis.

first, define "journeyman" for me, since someone who's been a starter most of his career isn't a journeyman in my definition.

second, he's currently hitting better than anyone else on the team right now. and his stats from last year were better than most of the team last year (granted only 30% of a full season's ABs). his OPS last year was higher than zimmerman's (as was his AVG and OBP).

he's not great, but he's not a crappy player or a journeyman, either.

Posted by: 231 | May 21, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

We really don't need LoDuca, do we?

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Dukes really needs to be sent down, doesn't he? How far under 0.050 does his average need to go?

As it is, if Kearns goes down, then Maxwell should come up. Who comes up if Dukes goes down, too? I think Alex Escobar, until he hurts himself. He is hitting a ton in Columbus.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS AWFUL! THIS TEAM SUCKS! BOWDENS AN IDIOT AND SO IS ACTA. Get Dukes and Pena out of here; they stink! and milledge isn't any better; wow do i miss ryan church! great move Bowden, you idiot; this is the absolute worst baseball i have ever seen; no offense; starters(except for this moron minor-leaguer Chico) pitching their guts out and NOTHING ON OFFENSE; this is the WORST

Posted by: readytojump | May 21, 2008 7:54 PM

1 RUN IN THE LAST 18 INNINGS -- AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ugly | May 21, 2008 8:15 PM

DUKES PUKES AGAIN! maybe when his BA gets to .020 Lenny will get him back in the cage; maybe use the TEE !!

Posted by: HELP!!!! | May 21, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

A journeyman is a guy who's been on five teams in six years. He's a "man" on a "journey" to find a job. (Possibly because he broke a big bone, and hasn't been the same sense.) I can put it in a song, Sesame Street-style, if that will be easier for you.

I'm not arguing that he's not better than, say, all our outfielders. But you don't sit him for Dmitri. It's not 2002 anymore.

Posted by: nattyboy | May 21, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

the NJ lamentations during losses remind me of the great motto coined by jim boren of the international association of professional bureaucrats: "when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." i take it people's work behavior is being imported into the blog...

Posted by: natty bumppo | May 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Since. I guess I need a Sesame Street song about homonyms.

Posted by: nattyboy | May 21, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't think any of these people have jobs, they post non-stop.

Posted by: nattybynature | May 21, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

hey bumppo....What????

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

NO! We have retaken the airport. There are NO Americans there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!

Posted by: Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf | May 21, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Jimbo Says....."They look better. We haven't seen it in the game yet, but we're seeing it outside of the game. It's coming."

What a tin salesman.....I'm with Chris, (which I'm sure makes him unhappy)....They look like they have no clue at the plate. Jimbo is sounding like a guy who knows he is really exposed....tick tock tick tock....Nobody is waiting until 2013 for Milledge to learn to call the ball for Pena and Dukes to learn to hit.......Lenny Harris really works hard....he is just now learning to use video......High Schools use video Jimbo......

Posted by: JayB | May 21, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

can't stand anymore.....time for lakers game

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Chico...nice job....glad to hear how out of touch Jimbo has gotten.

It would great to get some detail from Stan about how he feels about this team....not the minors, not the draft but the product he is charging $300+ for seats.

Posted by: JayB | May 21, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Take me out. Please, please, please. Take me out now.

Posted by: Jesus Colome | May 21, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh never mind. Too late now. Let me just sta and get some more practice in.

Posted by: Jesus Colome | May 21, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Boone vs Moyer 2 for 14 .143/.294/.357

Young vs Moyer 6 for 20 .300/.333/.350

"He's utilizing more video than when he came in." isnt exactly "he is just now learning to use video"

just sayin

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | May 21, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

We pray for the buttocks of the guy next to Bowden on the plane.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jesus. No pressure now. Maybe I can try out this new pitch...

Posted by: Chris Schroder | May 21, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Great batting practice tonight, guys. Thanks.

Posted by: Phillies | May 21, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

When does the game start?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 21, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

total embarrasment...........high schoool ball ---the Marlins....oops. i mean phillies can really hit

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm sitting here getting more pissed off than the nats are. Do they they even care?? When will Manny start to get on his players?? What would Lou Pinella do?? He'd rip them to shreads..

Posted by: Will O. | May 21, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Dave just said...after 5 and a half, the Nationals have some work to do...who knew?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 21, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

this team quits.....bad enough 'relief' pitching, but dukes missing young on a simple cut-off and young can't bend over and stop the ball???. then colome balks!! what a joke---what is acta doing about it this group of quitters??? ah, where is billy martin when you need him.......

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

totally agree Will O--- no fire in this group---just out for an afternoon 'tea'; no pride; can they score against the mighty moyers??

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

OK as if 14 years and one playoff appearance wasn't enough to convince you that this guy isn't a major league GM:

"But we're playing good baseball. We're catching the ball." OMG. Has he SEEN A GAME???? Has he seen Wily Mo in left? Has he seen Milledge's routes to the ball?

"Look, Lenny works extremely hard. I come down early, he's in the video room with Lastings Milledge. He's in the cage down there with Elijah Dukes. He's working very hard." God isn't hard work a given? He sounds like George Bush talking about Iraq.

"I'm concerned about Austin. There's concern if it doesn't get better in the next few days." In the next few DAYS?? You've had the guy in 2 franchises and first acquired him 10 years ago and you're going to decide there's a concern based on what he does in the next few DAYS??

And.... Farting??? Are you serious? Is he trying to make me ashamed to root for this team?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to have missed you NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 21, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

We need a complete overhaul to salvage the season and if the Lerners want butts in the the seats next year they got to do better than this.

Posted by: Will O. | May 21, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

gulp...remember the plan...you know, the plan, remember? Hey, it was a rough night, heh heh, anyone can off an off night can't they...huh, well, come on, whaddya say, give us a break, these things happen...after all...the plan, remember...just hang in there, it will be ok, really...uh..yeah, really it will.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 21, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

If I really wanted to hear what Bowden had to say about anything (with or without attribution), I would just go read Ladsen.

Posted by: Litany of Disappointments | May 21, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The Nats remind me of one of my all-time favorite Onion headlines:

Special Olympics T-Ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | May 21, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Where is Cordero?

Posted by: Ed | May 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

What a disaster tonight? But what bothers me the most here is lack of offense not the terrible pitching. Dukes, Milledge, and Pena need to go down. Bring up Escobar, Maxwell & even Langerhans - they can't do any worse.

Furthermore, Bowden's comments above are dismaying. I am not on board with those that think Bowden is the antichrist or the worst GM, but I am coming around to the idea that some fresh blood is needed.

Posted by: DkNatsFan | May 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh right, the plan, that must be the one that gets nobody to come to the game to watch poor f'ing baseball. It's working fine

Posted by: Will O. | May 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

It's bad but not really that worrisome, big picture wise. Well. I mean no worse than our regular problems.

This was pretty clearly on one person tonight, and even then, it's been awhile since he's been on the mound, and he should have been pulled after about 10 pitches.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, where are all the Schroder fans?

Posted by: Ed | May 21, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

1a, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant. Anyone there now?

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Heading off now...

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 21, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

SoCH - I think Bowden was quoted in reference to AK's injury...not his poor offensive performance...meaning he would be on the DL Monday if his injury doesnt get better in the next few days.

Wow. Bowden's vote of confidence for Harris is interesting. Bowden's quotes on Harris appear as though Harris is learning/changing style on the job. I have no idea what a successful hitting coach does/does'nt do, but I wonder if having a more experienced coach would better serve a team trying to build from within. I'm not talking Walt Hriniak, but someone more likely to have a past reference to use a basis for advise as a coach.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | May 21, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

yay dukes is hitting .069 now!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey chico! (writer, not pitcher)

what is with this article on the front page of the posts website that says the nats are seeking $100,000 a day because the stadium was not done in time? any thing from bowden or kasten?

For the rest of you, here is a link.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

LDO--um, yes, I know that's what he meant. I mean that Kearns isn't a legit major league OF and that's been clear for a long time. That Bowden says he's only concerned about some short-term injury is insulting to our intelligence.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Snark rating: 9.5
____________________________

yay dukes is hitting .069 now!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 9:38 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Tues: 1 run given up.

Wed: 12 runs given up.

The difference? No Bowden acquisitions on the mound Tuesday. All Bowden acquistions on the mound tonight.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

boone has played for 5 teams in his entire career (11 years), only moving in the past 5 yrs. he's had all of two one-year contracts (florida and washington). not exactly a true journeyman. he was a starter everywhere else before the past two years. but you can stretch the definition to fit your needs, if you want.

i'm not arguing that he's a better *HITTER* than dimitri--never was. just that he's enough better defensively (and close enough offensively) that he's worth platooning against any LH pitcher. especially when he's been hitting well recently.

Posted by: 231 | May 21, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Everything just sucks.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 21, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Damn... back down to .067

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Scott in Shaw, you can come back if you like. more in the room now.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I notice O's Exec isnt lurking around tonight, maybe thats cause his team is getting beat by the lowly Yanks.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

SoCH - sorry, wasnt trying belittle on the Kearns reference.

While we are discussing Kearns, whats the rationale for not being a legit OF for a long time? He's obviously been horrible in 2008, but even including his 2008 numbers, he has a career 107 OPS+, which is above league average (100).

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Ted Lerner is a cheap SOB. What a disaster it was the day Selig awarded him the team.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Bright side:

Hanrahan - 2.2IP 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 Ks, and only 1 walk

Zim - 2-4 RBI
Flores - 3-4 double, 2 singles
Milledge - 2-4

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 21, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris looks like a little leaguer with his double earflap batting helmet.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

"Bright side:

Hanrahan - 2.2IP 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 Ks, and only 1 walk"

Looks like he might have found his stride. His strikeouts are down lately but he has dropped his ERA almost two full points in two weeks and not sure the last time he gave up a hit...

Posted by: natrat | May 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

For the first time in four years, I left a Nats game early tonight. If you think it looked or sounded bad on television or radio, it was much worse in person. Chico, the alleged pitcher, and Schroder must have thrown 130 pitches between them. The Nats looked listless after Philly jumped out on top and I left after the home team scored its two runs. Add the cold, drizzly weather and it wasn't a fun night at the ol' ball park.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 21, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The smell on the plane was nothing compared to the smell at the park tonight.

Posted by: Gaseous Maximus | May 21, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

who told the phillies that batting practice began at 7:10?

Posted by: natsscribe | May 21, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

My argument is that 15-20 HR and a .260 BA isn't good enough for a RF. It's 4th outfielder material. I probably overstated it bit, but whatever. You definitely can't win with guys like that playing RF.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

SoCH,

Last year the Nats were down on Church because he hit 15 HR with 70 RBI. None of the current OFs are on pace to match those modest numbers.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 21, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I knew Ryan Church. I watched Ryan Church. I booed Ryan Church. You, Austin, are no Ryan Church.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 21, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

there are three teams i would be leery of trading for their offensive players - houston, philadelphia and, yes, cincinnati because those teams play their home games in bandboxes. jimbow was seduced bt awful austin's numbers compiled in the h-o scale great american smallpark.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 21, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

natsscribe: I would assume you wouldn't include Ryan Howard in that group that you wouldn't trade for (not that Philly would do such a thing). Strikeouts aside, that HR he hit was nearly into the next area code.

Posted by: TimDz | May 21, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

How obnoxious that some of you have a secret chatroom and deem it appropriate to reference it in a public forum. This isn't junior high.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

where's ryan langerhans when you need him? (did i just say that?)

Posted by: jf | May 21, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Chico (The Writer not the pitcher), you do realize this is all your fault, right?

Anyway, have fun with the gamer tonight.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 21, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

sorry to have hurt your feelings, little boy. it's not personal, sometimes there's no other way to communicate.

*************

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:45 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Glass half full, from the game tonight: the Teddy training montage was by far the funniest thing on the scoreboard of the season.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 21, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

My feelings aren't hurt NatsNut (or maybe 1A) by a couple women acting like junior high girls. I am annoyed though that I have to waste time reading your posts to a public board telling each other to go to your secret chatroom. Why don't you set up a google group or something and then you can email each other to go to your secret clubhouse without having to bother the rest of us.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

sorry

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not bothered. I just scroll past what I don't want to read. Sorta like turning the page on the DT edition.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

More positive news:

Colome can now pass through waivers safely!

On the more positive positives, this looks nice:

Lopez, 2 for 5, 2 doubles, 1 K
Zimmerman, 2 for 4, 1 RBI
Young, 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Milledge, 2 for 4, 1 K
Flores, 3 for 4, double

Total of 12 hits, in all. Just not in a row.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 21, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

"I am annoyed though that I have to waste time reading your posts to a public board telling each other to go to your secret chatroom. Why don't you set up a google group or something and then you can email each other to go to your secret clubhouse without having to bother the rest of us.
Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:57 PM"
************************************

Gee, thanks for sharing that, Masked Man. That's fascinating compared to the time-wasting screeds quoted below in their entirety.
(I think somebody has abandonment issues.)

=================
Sorry to have missed you NatsNut.
Posted by: natsfan1a | May 21, 2008 9:19 PM
----------------
Scott in Shaw, you can come back if you like. more in the room now.
Posted by: | May 21, 2008 9:59 PM

Posted by: not Lastings, he's looking at film | May 21, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Joebleuxme

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

but what would be funny is if they posted the entire chat from the other room, just so Captain RA here doesn't feel left out.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah, but one thing you gotta say for the Masked Man: He spelled everything right, and got almost all the punctuation correct. That narrows it down quite a bit.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Chico did just fine. He only allowed four runs. It's HOLEY BUTT that completely sent the game into a tailspin.

JimBo sez about Lenny Harris: "He's learning a lot. He's utilizing more video than when he came in. he's extremely open-minded. Lenny's been able to listen and learn from everyone."

Umm, shouldn't Lenny have LEARNED all this from coaching in the minor leagues BEFORE coming to the majors?!?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

You really are junior high girls aren't you?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Under normal circumstances, with a normal team, sure. Of course. Obviously.
JJ, I know you've been here long enough to know, this ain't one of them. This team is, ahem, "challenged."

**********************
Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 11:25 PM

Posted by: You know me, Al | May 21, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut joebleuxme

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I know YOU are, but what am I??

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, it isn't fair to let you think Natsnut or NF1a is this juvenile.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Colome down...who comes up? Manning? Sanches? Balester/Clippard/Mock and push Chico to the pen?

For those interested in the minor leagues (and offense)...check out the PNats at the Pfitz or Suns at Muni Stadium. Marrero is on fire right now. Same with Rhinehart, King & Smolinski in Hagerstown.

While the Nats are discouraging in many aspects, the minor league teams in the area are exciting to follow.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | May 21, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

LDO, they are fast running out of Usual Suspects. Schroder just came back, and got lit almost as bad as Colome. I predict they will have to Hit Bottom before they admit there's a problem. Which means six more weeks of winter.
Or something like that.

Posted by: CE | May 21, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

CE, I thought Bottom was a new nickname for Colome and was about to tell you they already hit him pretty hard tonight.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 22, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

They sure are...next thing you know, Bacsik will be throwing meaningful innings against the Brewers.

The thing is, you sign guys like Shell, Brownlie, Manning, Warden et al so that when the MLB team has issues with injuries or ineffectiveness, you can bring up an arm. You don't continually play 24 vs 25.

Sometimes, those minor league free agents can turn into Redding or Hanrahan. You'll never know if they stay in Columbus while a spot is open on the MLB roster. If they dont perform in the majors, send them back through waivers to AAA. Is a AAA player/minor league free agent lost through waivers more important than playing with a full roster?

I know a majority of teams are always juggling day-to-day injured players, but it seems as though the Nats have been doing it since the start of the season.

Personally, I always liked the Weaver/Mauch/Tom Kelly way of working in a rookie starter by having their first experience in the big leagues as a reliever. I wouldn't mind seeing Clippard or Balester in a role much like what Colome currently tries to perform.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | May 22, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow, our offense is as bad as Phil Wood's hairpiece (speaking of Phil Wood's hairpiece, has anyone seen Elwood lately?). I really thing the problem is with Lenny Harris as he is not getting things done. When most or all of the team is having problems hitting, then the hitting coach needs to take the responsibility. At my job, if my department doesn't get things done, the blame's on me, even if I'm not the one who screws thing up. It's part of being a supervisor. Lenny needs to understand the role of being a supervisor/coach and I'm pretty sure that that does not involve playing cards with the guys in the dugout and/or encouraging and participating in the "cheerleading" incident that occured last week in NY. It's hard when you act like that to gain the level of respect and authority that you are supposed to have with that position. He may have been a great hitter, but he's a lousy coach. Time for him to go. That's just my 1/50th of a dollar...

Posted by: BSG | May 22, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

MEH! We pay money for this?? What a debacle. How many more weeks or months of this shoite? Bowden's inhaled too many fumes on those planes - he can't think straight.

Posted by: bagoverheadnatsfan | May 22, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut, yes, there were a bunch of Phillies fans in the crowd, at least near me in the scoreboard terrace. Some positive reviews from them of our stadium.

That seat gave me a beautiful view of Dukes:
- failing to hit the cutoff man
- catching a fly on a one-hop that should have been an out.
- not reacting to a ball down the line until he realized it was fair.
It was also close enough to provide a view of him wrapping the bat around himself a few times at the plate. Was tonight his first time playing baseball?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who imagines Bowden criticizing this poor guy next to him for farting and calling for lysol up and down the isle all as a smokescreen for the smells coming from his own leather pants? He who smelt it, dealt it, I say.

Posted by: mrlogical | May 22, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Listening to Mannys post game presser, he sounds a bit frustrated. He doesn't see any difference from a 1-0 or a 20-0 loss. A loss is a loss. I like Manny, but his assessment there I feel is a bit off. To me there is a difference, quite a difference in fact. At least you have a chance trailing by 1 until the last out is made. Now, perhaps he doesn't really feel this way inside, perhaps it was just a bit of a snarky response. If he were in New York he'd be eaten alive by the press. Coaching 3rd up there is different than managing the entire team. I guess we're all as fans frustrated after a showing like last night. I suppose all you can do after an embarrassing performance like that is just forget about it, come back friday and start again. Afterall, they're 3 and 3 with the Phillies right now, no matter how you add the scores up. Maybe thats what he was referring to, I don't know.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 22, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Having blissfully missed the game I tried to get a grasp on it by reading the box scores this morning. 12 hits by the Nats and only two runs scored? The pitching stats speak for themselves, no elaboration needed.

Fisher's piece on the owners suing D.C. for 100k daily damages for failure to complete the stadium is something that should be exposed to full daylight. I think that a series of pointed questions should be directed at the Learners regarding their motive. Until these questions are completely answered the queries should be consistent and persistent by the press, and not just Fisher. It may turn out that there was so much energy expended preparing for opening day that the construction efficiency lagged after that moment due to exhaustion on the part of the subs and workers. (I have been there myself.) The Lerners may indeed have valid complaints but the public will be better of knowing the details.

Posted by: Dale | May 22, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

For the first time ever, I left the ballgame early.

I've sat through routs before, too.

That game stunk.

Badly.

Posted by: i hate walks | May 22, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Chatterati! Things could be worse. At least Albert (Auntie Maim) Pujols didn't take out our starter and our catcher in the same game. Now the Padres offer us even more hope that the Nats will not be the worst hitting team in the National League. And did you hear Pujols express regret? "I felt so bad, I couldn't focus in my at-bats!" I'll take JimBow's plea for pure air any day over such proof that we are a fallen race, whose attention is now directed inward towards our own ignominious selves.

Posted by: flynnie | May 22, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine, as you watch the Phillies and Braves' 3rd base coaches need their arms iced for waving so many runners home, how many more of last night's thrashings we would have witnessed without our miraculous starting pitching and bullpen? Give JimBow some credit for signing Perez and keeping the talent that has spared us such unwatchable affairs as last night's.

Posted by: flynnie | May 22, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

One thing I did take away from last night's visit to Nationals Park: I ate at Ben's Chili Bowl for the first time. This is the only place in the stadium besides the build-a-screech workshop and the Guitar Hero arcade where baseball is irrelevant. I appreciate that they had loud go-go music because that's part of the Ben's shtick but (at that point) I still wanted to watch the game.

Anyway, let's just say I'm glad I'm not on a plane today. But if I were, I'd want to sit next to Jim Bowden and "tell" him what I think of this team and see if he gets my "drift".

Posted by: i hate walks | May 22, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

And I mis-spoke. Jamie Moyer is never unwatchable. What a treat to see a 45 year old man paint the corners with such slow, breaking stuff!

Posted by: flynnie | May 22, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Just now reading the latest NJ thread. Gee, I missed all the fun! Didn't mean to stir something up by posting one brief remark to another blogger but evidently it offended at least one (anonymous) person.

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 22, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Here is the one thing I will say about Harris. When alot of hitting coaches get fired it is because proven hitters aren't hitting. This is a lineup full of guys that 'could' hit well but have never proven it. It may be that guys like Pena, Dukes, Millage, and even Zim may never be .300 30 110 guys but we never know.

Posted by: natrat | May 22, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

This is a fair point.

That still leaves the in-between-DL-stints Nick Johnson, and Kearns, and Belliard. But there's also Guzman, and to a lesser extent, Lopez; Zimmerman starting back up; and A. F. Boone; not to mention the Backstop Double Surprise of Flores and Nieves.

I'm willing to admit I may have been a little hasty.

Posted by: CE | May 22, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Manny "doesn't see any difference from a 1-0 or a 20-0 loss. A loss is a loss."
That's an insult to baseball fans. He misses the point of major league baseball: entertainment. If we lose 1-0, I may be unhappy about the loss but I've been entertained for three hours. If we lose 20-0 (or 12-2) it's probably been a waste of time to watch, like last nights game.

Posted by: RayD | May 22, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"This is a lineup full of guys that 'could' hit well but have never proven it."

It's also a lineup full of guys (with the exception of Guzman and Flores) who aren't even hitting as well as their WORST performances of previous stints in the majors. Ryan Zimmerman's face of the franchise has sprouted new zits this season. The Wily Mo Pena who added one run per game last August/Sept has now become Wily Less Pena. Dukes is underperforming even the crappy .100something/10 HR line he put up in Tampa Bay at the beginning of 2007. Milledge is underperforming what he did with the Mets last year. Kearns has never looked so bad his entire career. Let's not even go there when it comes to the underperformance of the likes of LoDuca and Estrada. At best you can say that a few of the team's batters are holding their own relative to their demonstrated career numbers (Lopez, Johnson given the caveat of his coming back from a year off), but at this point nearly 50 games into the season not one batter has shown any improvement or given any indication that he's starting to turn it around. A malaise has settled on the Nats' bats, across the board, for more than a quarter of a season now, and it shows no signs of lifting, despite JimBo's optimistic comments yesterday. Could that be due entirely to coincidence? Perhaps. It is possible. But it seems far more likely to me that inadequate coaching has more to do with it. Fire Lenny. It may not help, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | May 22, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Ummm . . . so maybe the Lerners ARE cheap and The Plan isn't going to work, at least not any time soon?

(considering)

Well, at the very least, the Lerners seem to want to run a tight ship. But I'm not going to call them cheap until they fail to sign one of our own to a long-term deal, or fail to sign a free agent to fill an obvious hole.

Speaking of which, right now, we seem to have a lot of holes, arguably everywhere except catcher and third. Last year I thought we needed a cf and at least one middle infielder that could hit at the top of the order. Now it's looking like our 2010 contender might need an entirely new outfield, and a first baseman, and two middle infielders. And for 2009, we might actually have to re-sign the guy with what has heretofore been regarded as the worst contract in Nats history (Guzman). Not pretty.

You know things are bad when Flynnie has to point out things like "Well, at least we didn't lose two starters to injury in a single inning last night," which is what happened to the Padres. My addition: At least nobody died (as did some poor fan in Atlanta).

Another silver lining: I left after 5 innings last night because I had to get my kids to bed. Might be a reasonable strategy for fans of this team at the moment. Then you can say positive things the next morning like "well, they were only losing four to nothing when I left."

I think we all need an off day.

Draft talk anyone?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | May 22, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

how long to wait for a player such as a milledge or dukes? that is the question. i give you evidence A: daniel cabrera of the os.
i was ready last year to finally throw him under the bus and that wasnt after one month or 1 year or even 2 or 3 years. that was after 4 years and he was the worst.

but this year--his 5th year--he may not only be gettin it, he may be becoming lights out, one of the best pitchers in baseball.
so i ask again, how long do you wait?

Posted by: dk | May 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Bowden at least says what he thinks, no Kasten double-talk.

It may be that we will have to wait a long time to see if there's improvement in the current crop of Nats. The sure are not going anywhere. If they come around, fine; if not, then we fans will have to wait for the fruits of "The Plan" to kick in--2013 or thereabouts.

As Joe Morgan says, the most unpredictable element in baseball is guessing how well a minor leaguer with good stats actually will perform in the bigs. And someone brought up with high expectations then may take quite a few years to show what he's got.

The solution for Morgan is to be aggressive about seeking proven major leaguers to bolster a team's roster. The Red Sox seem to have achieved a perfect balance bewteen proven players ($100 million for Daisuke) and high-performing guys up from the minors. Given the fact that the Lerners will never spend money on proven players, we fans are left with hoping we can emulate the successes of the Twins or the Marlins, i.e., relying on draftees and farm system products--not the failures of the Reds or the Pirates, who do the same thing, unsuccessfully. All are small market teams, by the way.

What is overlooked here is that high attendance is not a prerequisite for the Lerners to make money. They have in the Nats a cash cow no matter what. High attendance would be nice, and would provide a source of funds for acquiring proven talent. But since the Lerners won't spend that kind of dough, anyway, they can be perfectly happy financially--and that's the only standard they have--fielding a mediocre product while taking home a ton of money. I think Jim Bowden totally understands this. He's going to be around a long time because he's giving his bosses what they want, which is quite different from what we want. That pretty much was his message in the interview: Yo fans, get over it. Nothing's going to change.

This is the Clark Griffith family all over again. Connie Mack, anyone?

Posted by: JohnR(VA) | May 22, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse