Lannan update

Lannan was hit in the fifth inning today by a line-drive shot from Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The ball smashed the bottom of his mitt, right near the palm of his hand. Though Lannan recovered to throw to first and record the out, he was shaken up for a second. Manny Acta, trainer Lee Kuntz and pitching coach Randy St. Claire rushed to the mound to attend to their lefty.

But Lannan stayed in the game for another full inning.

After the game, X-rays were negative. The team is calling his injury a "right wrist contusion."

As a precaution, Lannan will receive a CAT Scan today.

He doesn't think he'll miss a start, nor does Acta.

That aside, Lannan had some pretty miserable luck again today. Another quality start, another game with nothing to show for it. In the previous five games, he's left with his team trailing by the following scores: 2-1, 2-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-0.

If Lannan had even decent luck, he'd have an outside shot at the NL's Rookie of the Year award.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 22, 2008; 7:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups from Nats Park
Next: Needed: Cordero

Comments

Holy smokes this team is awful.
We have season tickets (and keep 31 out of 81 games) and went for the first time in a month. I tried to enjoy it, but they're just utterly hopeless. No hitting at all.

And I'm sorry, but I just hate it when the team needs the scoreboard to tell the fans when to cheer. Pay attention or stay home.

Posted by: Section 303 | June 22, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Because we wouldn't have cheered otherwise. It couldn't have anything to do with standard practices in stadiums across sports all over the country. Nope, it must be because we don't know when to cheer.

Posted by: The Fans | June 22, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Boo-hoo. Wanna talk about lack of run support, go talk to Jeremy Guthrie.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 22, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Well it was hot out there at the field. My dad really shelled out for some good seats, about three rows behind the Nationals dugout. The stairs were hard on my grandfather's knees, but he enjoyed being at the ballpark. I know because he expressed it in a time-honored male family member tradition by not finding anything to criticize. The highest praise at my dinner table is if nobody says anything to you.

A couple of observations:

*Orr really hustled out there. I know he's an ex-Commie so he already starts in a hole, but he played like he wanted to stay. Unfortunately, I don't think Lopez is the middle infielder that will be moving on.

*Lannan. Is this kid amazing or what? I disagree with the commenter above that the game was impossible to watch. I lost myself in the first six innings just watching this kid work up close. Wow! If he ever has a comfortable lead, he might pitch a no-hitter he'll be so relaxed. Seriously, he always pitches like he's gonna win the ballgame, it's great to see.

*Debbie Taylor is cute in person. It's weird how TV skews our impressions of attractiveness.

*My little brother also came (he's 5) and repeatedly talked about how he wanted the "Nationals Nats" to win. I couldn't figure it out for a long time until I realized he lives down the street from Pfitzner Stadium and is used to seeing the POTOMAC Nats. He was a trooper in the hot sun and only charged three lemonades for good behavior.

*I had a burritos near Section 128. It was good! Also noticed places with broken card machines had little "Cash Only" signs up. Good move.

*After his first strike out, Dukes clearly shouted the f-bomb. I'm not one to complain since I've been known to bombard small villages in order to let out momentary tension. The father in front of me yelled out "watch your language" (he had his whole family with him) but the effort backfired, because his adorable five-year old daughter hadn't heard anyway (she was coloring). She asked what he said and the father tried to play it off and say he just told him to watch out.

The girl said, "no what did he say?" and pointed at Dukes and the father replied "Oh Mr. Dukes just got frustrated and yelled a word he shouldn't have." She said, "Like stupid?" and the father said "Yes, honey. Like stupid."

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 22, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

At least there is some positive news coming from today's debacle. It's not Lannan's fault that he's pitching for the Nats Without Bats.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that the Nats are fading out the Nats express. I have used the Nats express several times this year and have always been very happy with the service, but today I was EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED. Due to the DC United game we had to park in lot 7, which isn't a big deal as I've done this before for one of the cubs games. However, it seemed as if they only had 3 buses working today. When I arrived in lot 7 it was 1:45. The line was so long I had to wait roughly 3 buses to get on a bus and it was the 5th inning (2.30) by the time I arrived at the stadium. At the end of the game it was so bad that we actually decided to take metro to the Stadium armorery and walk to lot 7, which seemed to work pretty well for us as most of the cars were still in the nats part of lot 7.

I hope that the Nats aren't purposely making the Nats Express inefficient so that more people use their limited cash lots. I suspect that this is the case. Kind of like how business don't fire people, they just make your job such a hassle that you quit.

If this is management's plan, I won't be using the cash lots, I just won't bother coming.

I wonder if anyone else had this experience or can comment on the recent games for the Nats Express. My previous game before today was June 5th and that seemed to run smoothly, so I hope today was just an aberation

Posted by: NatsFan | June 22, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Os exec, i'm pretty sure lannan would be *thrilled* to have guthrie's runs scored stats...

RS
Lannan: 2.22
Guthrie: 3.24

i think he'd be happy getting a full run better.

Posted by: 231 | June 22, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"When I arrived in lot 7 it was 1:45. The line was so long I had to wait roughly 3 buses to get on a bus and it was the 5th inning (2.30) by the time I arrived at the stadium."

What are you doing arriving at RFK 10 minutes after the first pitch anyway? Unless you didn't know you had to go to Lot 7 today and went to Lot 8 instead, you really have no excuse for that. Get to the games on time. You'll probably find that the Nats Express is most efficient before game time, because that's when they're expecting to move the most people.

With that said, I took the Nats Express last night (from Lot 8) with no problem. They had a good five or six buses in service. No wait for a bus before the game (although we did get there kinda early, and were in the park before 6:00. After the game, the line was around the block but it moved quickly. (We stayed for the whole game.) All in all, a perfect experience - too bad the game wasn't as good. Now, I will say that I take Metro instead of the Nats Express whenever there's a soccer game. Access from VA to Lot 7 is not as easy as Lot 8, and I have heard that the trips from RFK to Nats Park take longer from Lot 7 too Maybe they have noticed lower ridership on Lot 7 days and have cut the number of buses correspondingly. I wouldn't know about that, though.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Lannan's VORP grow vs. all other roookies when it's updated tomorrow! Right now it's more than Soto's and Fukudome's! And Votto's, and Jurrjens, etc. etc.

Posted by: Stat Man | June 22, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

NatsFan- sorry you had trouble. Herding towards cash parking seems the likely cause, since you didn't have the trouble during a previous United game. The Lerners didn't get Tyson's II by being generous.

506- what a wonderful post and what a wonderful picture of an afternoon in high summer at the park!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Section 303, fairweather fan

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

What kind of idiot pays good money for tickets and then arrives for the game ten minutes after the start? Back in the day we arrived in time to watch batting practice, fielding practice, the final dragging and watering of the field, and then the game itself.

Posted by: Jay | June 22, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Loved your post, 506.

My Braves fan brother called my voicemail last year, had my 3 year old niece say "Go Braves. Boo Nats" then hung up. Ever since then she calls them the BooNats, as in "Auntie likes the BooNats." It was last year and I still have the message.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Jay, you can express your preference for arriving to a ballgame early without calling anyone an idiot.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I see the point of the pro-Lerner posts. They are local, unlikely to move the team, and didn't need to subject themselves to criticism from folk like me. They saved the city from a Smuylian-headed ownership, so favored by Reinsdorf and Selig, and so likely to move the team to Indianapolis (although how real is this threat with a 35 year stadium lease that forbids it?). Malek and Smuylean depended on corporate financing, which has proven to be too bottom-line oriented for a baseball team (see Braves and Angels, sold by Disney and TimeWarner,respectively.) George Soros was too rich and Democratic for the Lords of the Game. We will never know whether Soros would have been our very own Steinbrenner. I'd love to now the budget strictures on Trader Jim. No one would be calling for him to be fired if this were public. He signed Lo Duca for power, why not Posada? We didn't even make a play for A-Rod when Boras would've welcomed it. No one honestly thinks that Jim Bowden wouldn't love to be in Brian Cashman's position with a blank check to "just win, baby." The hostility to Bowden is ill-placed.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Ray=419+1

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

What are you doing arriving at RFK 10 minutes after the first pitch anyway?

i went to lot 8 first, totally unaware of the united game and it was tough getting turned around going to lot 7. As for the second comment, i agree it makes me mad when people come late and leave early, but i'm slowly learning that when you have small children everything takes more time and goes slower. I was one of the few who stayed until the end and I kind of wonder if we had a better team that could score more runs if a lot more people would stay or if we live in an era and a city where you just "have to" leave early for fear of getting caught in traffic or do they leave because they're not real fans of baseball they just came for the "event"

Posted by: NatsFan | June 22, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that the customer sevice on the upper deck is getting worse? The Beer stands closest to the field are ususally very quick, but the service in the larger places are particularly bad and disorganized. Some of the employees truly try hard and are quick to ask for your order, but far too many are too busy talking to each other to take an order or fill an order. Some act like they don't know how to be friendly. I think the lower level gets a little better, but I encourage the Nats to quality check their own people a little more often. I used to see Stan wandering RFK, and maybe its just bad timing on my part, but I have yet to see him checking out his product on the upper deck this year.

Posted by: NatBisquit | June 22, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I got to a game late for the first time today--missed the top of the first.

I thought for a minute that there was a Hava Negilla effect today. They only played it three times. The first time resulted in Willie Harris' home run, the second time Flores got a single, but alas the third time was not the charm, and Dukes struck out.

Posted by: Sec 419, Row E | June 22, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

NB,

Also, where are the ushers for the 400 sections? I sat in 406 Friday night and the whole game didn't see one usher on my level. A couple of arguments took place when late arrivals tried to move squatters from their seats.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Some thoughts:

When will the patience for Wily Mo run out? I'd much rather see Langerhans. He has more to offer. It looks to me like Wily Mo is injured. His bat speed is way down - wonder if the injury is lingering.

A big hand for Nats' fans. Nearly 100,000 this weekend to see the old Senators and the 2nd worst team in baseball, worst in the NL. Even with a new park, not bad!!

Who's worth keeping for next year -- Zim, Flores, Dukes, Milledge, Guzman (but a FA), Who plays LF (Dukes with Kearns in RF or Daniel), SS, 2B, 1B for this club. Doubt we have enough $$, but if Texiera and Hudson sign - you have gold glove defense at 1B, 2b, 3b in your IF. More likely Texiera goes to Balt. in 2009 or Boras uses Balt. to trump up the bidding and the Yanks get him...oh well.

Who stays on the pitching staff? Lannan, Rauch...anyone else? Cordero if helathy?

I think this team still has a lot of overhaul to go, but, it's fun to see who will develop...a reason to go.

Chico, Post - how 'bout an update on who has signed so far of the draft choices, especially want to know how goes it with the 2nd round guy who's considering Alabama and football.

And, is MASN making or losing $$$? Hate how they show the fireworks exploding and not the crowd cheering on Nats HRs...goodnight.

Also, Thompson for Reds looks like a budding star starting pitcher, thanks a million Jimbo!! Another great move by one of the league's worst GM's!!

Posted by: Steve | June 22, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I think we've seen enough of Langerhans to realize that he can't hit, and we should know that good teams don't start non-hitting outfielders. Because he can't hit, his defense is overrated. Neither he nor Wily should be a starting outfielder in the majors. The Wily situation is simply embarassing at this point.

Posted by: natty by nature | June 23, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey, at least no one can hate on Bowden for what we gave up to take Wily Mo!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 23, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Steve, how can you say that Daryl Thompson "looks like a budding star starting pitcher" after just one start...in which he got himself into a few serious jams...had more walks than Ks...and got lost in the NYC Subway trying to get to the game!

Posted by: Sal | June 23, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I love the optimism steve. It really does look like we've got some pieces in line for the future. Dukes has been raking this month and his defense is solid. Milledge has also benefited from extra protection at the top of the lineup and his defense seems to be improving every night. Who knows, maybe he'll be a solid center fielder in a year or two.

Unfortunately this team is still a long way off and a couple of free agent signings won't do the trick. Our pitching staff has held together remarkably but they cannot be expected to put up decent numbers considering their, frankly, inferior talent.

One or two free agent moves can help to sure up a spot like 2nd or short this offseason. A guy like furcal or hudson can show the fans and the league that we do mean business and it can allow for our system to grow deeper in those needed areas.

Guys like Guzman, Rauch, Redding, and some others who can perform but are either in or past their primes should be traded away for the best value we can get. Young talent for the foundation are more important then league average players for right now. Rauch and Redding can be replaced by Clippard and Mock, or Zincola and Zimmermann, or Ballester and Martis. The point is we've got pitching depth at every level of the minors and some of it is ready to contribute now.

Many think that the Plan is an excuse to spend as little money as possible. For those I would like them to look at our minors, the Nationals system has arguably the best minor league pitching, top to bottom, in all of baseball. Some of those minor leaguers will be future major leaguers, starters, all stars, maybe even world series champions. What remains is for the organization to follow through on its plans. This season the nationals need to take chances on young talent like those Columbus and Harrisburg pitchers. Players who have not shown that they can contribute, like Pena and Langerhans and harris, can be discarded and young talent like Daniel and Bernadina can contribute. This offseason moves need to be made to strengthen the future and the present. In 2009 the nationals will not be a playoff team, they may not be a .500 team, but they will not be fighting for the #1 draft pick. These youngsters that we see now can be the stars that carry us to our 2012 division title. It's a long wait, but ive got nothing better to do in the meantime. Would you really rather go to an O's game?

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | June 23, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Notice any difference in the dugout or clubhouse atmosphere between the different starters? The difference in the Run Support numbers is pretty drastic:

Redding, 5.79
Hill, 4.18
Perez, 4.09
NATS AVERAGE, 3.70 (29 of 30 MLB Teams)
Lannan, 2.39 (2nd worst in MLB)
Bergmann, 2.26 (last in MLB of starters with 40+ innings)

Posted by: Formerly Section 519 | June 23, 2008 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Guzzie's performance aside, we knew before the season started that this team lacked top-of-the-order hitters. Then we lost our 3-4-5 guys in Zim, Nick and Kearns. The result: Low average, low OBP, no power, no offense.

Think about it for a second -- before the season we hoped that Patterson and Hill would be solid #1 and #2 starters (I said hoped, not expected, so don't jump on that). We hoped Nick or Meat would be healthy and could be a solid middle of the order bat. Neither is healthy ...

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 23, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

... or productive. We hope Felipe could get over whatever was bothering him in 2007 and recover some of the potential we thought he had in 2006. Nope. We hoped Zimmerman could take another step towards being the all-star cornerstone of this team. He slumped and got hurt. We hoped WMP might be our 40-homer bat. Ummm ... nope. And we thought the bullpen was a strength. Well, it's not, at least when you subtract the closer and your starters can barely go six every game.

Posted by: Bob L. Head (cont'd) | June 23, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

So there you have it. Almost nothing has gone right this year. Flores and Lannan, yes. Milledge? Maybe, but he may not have enough power to play in the corners and his average and defense might not add up to stardom in center. I am not writing him off, but I don't think he has been a positive surprise either. Dukes? Maybe again, after a slow start. He has shown patience, but little power. And, surprise surprise, his behavior raises questions at times and splits the clubhouse.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 23, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Throw in injuries to Maxwell and Marrero, and wildness on the part of Detwiler, and it's clear that the wheels have all come off of this train wreck of a team this year.

Now, with all of that said, I think it's silly to try to place blame for all of this on anyone. I think it's silly to be mad at anyone over the performance of this team (although I admit to getting mad during the losses too).

Posted by: Bob L. Head (still) | June 23, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

So, in view of the foregoing, I think the only rational thing to do is to recognize how many things have gone wrong in order to get us where we are now, put those things in the rear view mirror (a la Pete Orr) and see if this team can get up off of the mat in the second half and give us some thing to build on for 2009. Ok I'm done.

Posted by: Bob L. Head (last one) | June 23, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

That really wasn't worth the dramatic serializing.

Now when you lecture me about being nice, just do it in one post.

Posted by: annoying gnat | June 23, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

It was an epic miniseries, Bob, don't let the naysayers get you.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 23, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"got lost in the NYC Subway trying to get to the game"

Hey, maybe the cheap Lerners could take away the parking spaces of unproductive players and force them to take Metro to the games. Then maybe a few of them might get lost on the way. Wily Mo? FLop?

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 23, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Bob L - Great synopsis of the season! I heard Ray Knight and Bob Carpenter say this is not a very good team right now. Did it need to be this way? Some say no, Bowden could have somehow prevented it, and that just doesn't make sense. The only free agents who could have made a difference would have put this team among the top payrolls in baseball for an old team - A-Rod, Posada, Santana. And they are hovering around .500 with much better supporting casts. The Nats are ranked 9th in Minor League Farm systems, which is nice, but of no immediate solace. The next three nights aganst the Angels should be tough, but maybe will surprise.

Posted by: flynnie | June 23, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

SEA 26-49
WAS 30-47 (3GB)
SDP 32-45 (5GB)
COL 32-44 (5.5GB)
SFG 32-44 (5.5GB)

Posted by: The Race for #1 in 2009 | June 23, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Mariners Fire Whiffing Coach

Posted by: NatsNut | June 23, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

yelling at players to watch their language is absurd. overprotecting won't teach anything but creates misunderstanding. good luck growing up little girl (yes i have a daughter).

sad about wily mo. i'm afraid his career is all but over. his agent ruined him demanding a major league guaranteed contract and he never developed.

dukes and milledge and kearns. same outfield next year as opening day was this year. and now we absolutely need flores to pan out. i just want zimmerman to crank 24 homers and hit .285 with gold glove defense. i can live with that for 10 years.

we still need a 3 and 4 hitter. i would trade anyone for a legit cornerstone player. someone to actually build a lineup around. i don't believe we have one yet.

Posted by: longterm | June 23, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey Longterm - Who you got in mind?

Posted by: flynnie | June 23, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Well we had more of the same yesterday. Perhaps Acat can experiment with this train wreck. Hey he is not going to mess anything up. I might try Pena in the four spot and move Young to the three. Milledge is not a three hitter. I think Acta should bat him fifth or sixth. I know Pena can't hit a lick but he might see better pitches in the 4 spot. The two spot helped out Dukes. The line - up could be as follows:

Guzman
Dukes
Young
Pena
Flores
Milledge
Belliard
Lopez
Pitcher

I wish Acta would try experimenting. He sends the same wreck out every day. For God's sake man try something new!!

On a different topic, I saw some poster named Ray Kings Gut (RKG) took exception to some posters critizing the team. He referred to us as Red Sox wannabees or interlopers who do not live in the Washington but criticize the team. Just because he lives in Washington does not make it his team. I do not consider myself a Red Sox wannbee or anything but a fan of the Nats. You see unlike RKG I would have cheered for the team if they had moved to Charlotte, Las Vegas or San Juan. I have followed this team since the days of Parc Jarry in Montreal. I saw Jim Mudcat Grant, Coco Laboy, Don Clendenon, Rusty Staub and Bill Stoneman play for this team.

The Expos were the first team to recognize the importance of developing their own talent. They could not afford FA's. Even if they could, they knew they could not convince them to come to Montreal. They developed such players as Steve Rogers, Scott Sanderson, David Palmer, Delino Deshields, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Larry Parrish, Warren Comrartie, Tim Raines, Randy Johnson, Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, Vlad Guerrero, Javier Vasques, Orlando Cabrera, Andres Galarraga, Cliff Lee, Brandon Philips, Grady Sizemore, etc..They traded for such players as Pedro Martinez and Jonh Wettland. They reclaimed outcasts such as Dennis Martinez. The Expos were also a training ground for GM's. Guys like Dave Dombrowski and Bill Stoneman got their start there. I can assure you the crowd running the Nats (Jimbo) cannot hold a candle to the former Expos GM's.

Unlike RKG I do not care where this team is located. I will always follow them. I will always support them regardless how the play. I will cheer them and I will criticize them if they play as they are now. Bowden's job is to do two things. Develop the farm system and uncover potential major league players. Bowden has not done a good job with the latter. He let Brando Phillips slip by when Cleveland released him. He could have traded for Cliff Lee when the latter was demoted last year. He was no where to be seen when Dan Uggla and Josh Hamilton were available.

Actaully the team that maximizes it resources are the Marlins. You should note that the Marlins FO is the former Expos FO prior to MLB purchasing the Expos from Loria. When Loria purchased the Marlins he took the Expos FO, including scouts, etc. If Kasten was smart he would go after Benefest.

RKG - The Nats do not need fans who accept mediocrity. This team has higher standards and a history to live up to.

In the meantime Acta should earn his salary and start experimenting with this lineup. I think he can improve the three and four hole positions.

Posted by: mjames | June 23, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse