New Year's Resolutions

2008 already?

I hate New Year's Resolutions. They often seem so lame, narcissistic and cliched, hopeless even before the year starts. But given that most cliches turn out to have at least some truth in them, I thought we should give it a whirl.

I'm all for hoping that you can change your life and our world for the better. However, if I could "resolve" anything for 2008, it wouldn't be losing weight or some other minor change in my life (although I have plenty of flaws that need fixing). I'd shoot much higher. My New Year's Resolutions would be that:

1) No one would abuse a child ever again. To me, this subset of domestic violence is one of the single biggest problems our culture faces, leading to medical, legal and judicial intervention, higher crime rates, and perpetuation of a cycle of violence as some abused children grow up to abuse their own family members .
2) All employers would offer everyone the flexibility and support we need to be good employees and good parents -- at the same time. Flexibility is often free for employers to offer, and it is priceless to parents and childcare givers and the children they care for.
3) Instead of putting so much energy into judging other moms for the different ways we raise our children, and how we combine working and motherhood, moms would actively support other moms, with general "you go, girl!" enthusiasm and practical help like offering to carpool, mentoring a younger mom, developing babysitting co-ops, scheduling school meetings at mutually convenient times, helping a stay-at-home mom return to work, and more.

If you could wave a magic New Year's wand, what would you change to find better work/life balance, for yourself, your family, our country or the planet?

By Leslie Morgan Steiner |  January 2, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Conflicts
Previous: Holiday Drama, Trauma and Joy | Next: Resolving to Get Organized

Add On Balance to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

I'm wishing for world peace and the end of all pollution and bad germs. I can't understand why all the people of the earth can't join together in a large circle, hold hands and get along. Why not?

Posted by: GutlessCoward | January 2, 2008 7:29 AM

I resolved to be First on the blog. But I guess I blew my resolution already!

Posted by: fred | January 2, 2008 7:54 AM

Here are my resolutions:

1. Learn to make croissants.
2. Finish my children's birth photobooks (they're only 3 and 5, what the hey).
3. Cook more and eat out less.

I try not to tackle heavy issues with my New Year's resolutions. Maybe I'm just a big chicken, but I don't see why January 1 should be different from any other day if you really want to make positive changes in your life!

Posted by: wtf | January 2, 2008 8:04 AM

«I can't understand why all the people of the earth can't join together in a large circle, hold hands and get along. Why not?»
«Posted by: GutlessCoward | January 2, 2008 07:29 AM»

O Gutless Coward, is this not what I have asked all along, «Cannot we all get along?» The same place, remember we are all headed for the same place, we will all die, do we not want our brothers and sisters, that they remember us as being good, as getting along?

«Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It should be noted that the view of the salaf (early generations) and imams of this ummah is that when a person dies he will be in a state of bliss or torment and that that will happen to both his soul and his body. After the soul departs from the body it will remain in a state of bliss or torment, and it may connect to the body sometimes, so the body will experience the bliss or torment along with it (at those times). Then on the Day of Resurrection the souls will be restored to their bodies and will be raised up from their graves to meet the Lord of the Worlds. All of this is unanimously agreed upon among the scholars of al-hadeeth wa'l-Sunnah.»

Posted by: abu_ibrahim | January 2, 2008 8:06 AM

This is my first New Years being pregnant, so I have a fun couple of resolutions:

1) GAIN weight (responsibly, of course, but still, how often does that get to be your resolution?)

2) Enjoy our new little baby boy. :-)

Posted by: Corvette1975 | January 2, 2008 8:13 AM

Corvette, you lucky girl! I will attempt to send you some virtual croissants (they're sensible, right?).

Posted by: wtf | January 2, 2008 8:27 AM

My only resolution is to try and wake up earlier. So that I have a few minutes to wake up before the toddler sets the pace for the day. Ugh...........

Posted by: viennamom | January 2, 2008 8:27 AM

Virtual croissants would be great, wtf -- thanks!

Posted by: Corvette1975 | January 2, 2008 8:31 AM

Speaking of baked goods: atlmom- I found the NYT no-knead bread that was all the rage in 2006 (apparently I'm being left behind in cooking trends now, too). It's perfect and very easy, if you're into a crunchy crust and a chewy, hearty inside (which I've learned is called the "crumb"). It takes 24 hours to make, but only about 10 minutes of it is hands-on. I'm still looking to make that French bread with the shattery crust and light as air, ahem, crumb.

wtf- Croissants! Very ambitious and fun. Enjoy the process and let us know how it goes!

I just want to get my house finished.

Posted by: atb2 | January 2, 2008 8:58 AM

Corvette, I have the exact same new year's resolutions too. BTW, we found out we will be having a boy in late June. As far as unrealistic wishes, I hope an end to poverty, world peace, a cleaner enviroment, and end to violent crime.

Posted by: foamgnome | January 2, 2008 9:22 AM

Congrats, foamgnome! (I'm due in April)

Posted by: Corvette1975 | January 2, 2008 9:40 AM

my 2008 resolution is to eat more guacamole. everyone i've told about it has been surprised and delighted. it's nice to remember to have fun and enjoy life through the little things.

Posted by: newslinks1 | January 2, 2008 9:59 AM

I'm keeping my resolutions micro this year, and some of them are total cliches:

1. Get pregnant;
2. Stay pregnant long enough to have a healthy, full-term baby;
3. Failing 1 & 2, move on and stop obsessing about infertility;
3. Work on making developing a bunch of healthy staple recipes to replace the heavy fatty ones I default to now;
4. Make exercise a habit.

Posted by: newsahm | January 2, 2008 10:02 AM

1. Either finish or get rid of the supplies for old projects.
2. Eat out less.
3. Pay off debts/save more.
4. Write at least 4 letters to elected officials on issues that interest me.
5. Declutter and recycle/donate. Reduce what comes into the house.

Posted by: robinwfcva | January 2, 2008 10:16 AM

I also need to work on my friendships more - it is easy to let them slide with family pressures, work, etc...

Posted by: robinwfcva | January 2, 2008 10:48 AM

1. Complete all of the 1/2-done renovations we started in 2001.
2. Work on long-term finances - 7 different 401K accounts is just insane.
3. Potty train my 21-month old.

Posted by: ninny | January 2, 2008 11:12 AM

Personal resolutions
1. finish my doctoral dissertation
2. walk every day
3. visit my parents more

National wishes
1. Americans voting in percentages higher than 60%
2. Actual debates, not dueling soundbites
3. A moratorium on automated phone messages from candidates for office.

Posted by: babsy1 | January 2, 2008 12:48 PM

1. Finish my current work.
2. Find a job close enough that I don't have to drive.
3. Reduce weekly trash volume.

Posted by: MaryL | January 2, 2008 12:48 PM

I resolve to write more letters, fewer e-mails.

My inspiration for this is my youngest child, who has informed me that "it's time" for a letter to be sent to a friend in another state--and do we have any good photos?

My hero!

Happy New Year everyone. I really hope it has a happier ending this year than it did last. Boxing Day was a tear-jerker.

Posted by: maryland_mother | January 2, 2008 1:42 PM

1. Eat less
2. Play more
3. Go with my own gut instinct

Posted by: shdd | January 2, 2008 2:05 PM

I have one resolution: not to view this blog ever again!

Posted by: denkpaard | January 2, 2008 2:11 PM

I'm hoping that pATRICK is able to get over his loss and share his oh-so-sensitive comments with our loving community once again. PYSCH!!

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 2:20 PM

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 2:24 PM

"I have one resolution: not to view this blog ever again!"

Oh, denkpaard, I have tried. Trust me, I have tried. But it is like viewing a horrible train wreck. You can't look away. There are so many sanctimonious types and other assorted losers posting on this blog that you just can't look away. Most are unaware that they are truly parodies of themselves. But with the writer's strike on, I found myself gravitating back to this blog to get my laughs.

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 2:27 PM

Alas, your words ring too true!

Posted by: denkpaard | January 2, 2008 2:28 PM

«In all seriousness, pATRICK. Alzheimer's is genetic from what the best medical specialists can discern. It would explain a lot in your case. Please, my little conservative friend. Get all the best tests that the private market (which, I know you agree, works best) will allow. I would HATE to see you degenerate into a vegetable (or should I say, more of a vegetable).»
«Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 02:24 PM»

A new year, it is a new year. Cannot we all get along?

Posted by: abu_ibrahim | January 2, 2008 4:30 PM

I'm getting along just fine. It's pATRICK that I'm worried about. I would hate for him to go out for a little walk and then forget how to get home. I truly hope that he's looking into the best PRIVATE medical care. Because we all know that he hates the government and would prefer all poor people to suffer in silence.

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 5:08 PM

"A new year, it is a new year. Cannot we all get along?"

Oh, by the way Abu. I love you my little teddy bear. Uh oh. How many lashes do I get????

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 2, 2008 5:10 PM

I wonder why when you're taking the effort to make resolutions for the world at large that you limit your second one only to parents and your third one only to moms?

Posted by: EmeraldEAD | January 2, 2008 5:46 PM

It's been so long...

Some number of decades ago I resolved to stop making New Year's resolutions, and do what I needed to do whenever I decided that it was something that truly needed to be done.

I've stuck with it.

My goals for the coming year:

Continue the successful weight loss plan - down 20 pounds, and eighteen more to go.

Get older son to pass the CA high school exit exam - contacted a tutoring service this morning.

Get younger son into one of our three choices for middle school. No recent progress.

Get DH to take better care of his health - at his Dr appt this morning, he *finally* got all his prescriptions straightened out. It's only been three years since the last time he had a doc who could keep all his insulin requirements straight, and did not write him scripts for the wrong kinds.

Wishes for the world - "all getting along" would be lovely, but it's just not going to happen, sorry, abu. I'd settle for more people showing respect and tolerance for those who are different than themselves - and that's very unrealistic too.

Posted by: sue | January 2, 2008 7:09 PM

1. Drive slower, I'm in no rush.

2. Pay down my credit cards while saving an insane amount of money for my wedding.

3. Learn to knit from good ol' Grandmom.

4. Give up and settle for a size 12.

Posted by: xtinemcloughlin | January 3, 2008 2:06 PM