Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Kids Meals Pack Big Caloric Punch

"I'll have a four-piece Chicken McNugget Happy Meal with juice, please."

That's the typical order request from my kids when we stop at McDonald's. That one meal is giving them 500 calories, 23 grams of fat and 3.5 grams of saturated fat. And it's well more than they should consume in a single meal. The National Institute of Medicine recommends that a third of daily caloric intake of moderately active 4- to 8-year-olds should equal 430 calories.

We're not alone in feeding our kids high-calorie and high-fat foods when we go out to eat. The Center for Science in the Public Interest evaluated children's meals at restaurant chains and learned that 93 percent of the choices at 13 chains are higher in calories than the National Institute of Medicine's recommended amount. In addition, 45 percent of the meals have too much saturated fat and 86 percent of the meals have too much sodium. About a third of children's daily caloric intake comes from restaurant food, CSPI says.

"Parents want to feed their children healthy meals, but America's chain restaurants are setting parents up to fail," said Margo G. Wootan, CSPI's nutrition policy director.

Some of the worst kids meal choices? Chili's country-fried chicken crispers, cinnamon apples and chocolate milk, which have a whopping 1,020 calories. Chili's cheese pizza, homestyle fries and lemonade aren't far behind with 1,000 calories. KFC, one of five restaurants where all kids choices exceed the calorie limit, comes in third with popcorn chicken, baked beans, biscuit, fruit punch and Teddy Grahams for 940 calories. Burger King's double cheeseburger, fries and chocolate milk have 900 calories. The other four restaurants where all kids meals don't meet the health criteria are Sonic, Jack in the Box, Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell.

And some better selections? Twelve of Subway's Fresh Fit for Kids meal combinations meet the kid standards, including the ham, roast beef or turkey mini subs with a juice box and side of apple slices or raisins. Or if you're heading to Chili's, try the grilled chicken sandwich with apple juice and corn kernels or mandarin oranges or pineapple.

Another company that's got kids meals right? Disney theme parks, CSPI says. Disney now includes fruits or vegetables and low-fat milk or water as default side dishes rather than French fries and soda.

Related Article: Study: Restaurant kids' meals loaded with calories

Special Series: Young Lives at Risk: Our Overweight Children

Note to Readers: Starting at noon tomorrow, washingtonpost.com is turning off comments on this blog to allow for some software upgrades and other maintenance. Blog entries and comments are expected to resume by Thursday morning.

By Stacey Garfinkle |  August 4, 2008; 5:00 PM ET  | Category:  Health
Previous: 10 Ways for Busy Parents to Manage Households | Next: Some Facts on Adoption

Comments

You dumb Mean Mommies feed your kids Hershey bars and Jolt Cola, then wonder why they bounce off the walls.

Posted by: Mean Mommies are D-U-M-B | August 4, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

This is bad (though not surprising), but I doubt that the adult meals at these chains fare any better.

Posted by: skinnyguy | August 4, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

soo like fried foods are NOT good for you?!

wow, who knew?

This nutrition thing is like sooo hard!!!!

Posted by: duh | August 4, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

McDonalds leads the areticle even though they had the 2nd lowest caloric offering and the Subway example doesn't include a drink. so what were the calories for Subway anyway?

Posted by: Mikey D takes the reap again | August 4, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many calories are in Weasel Flambeau? The FDA should force Jed to give a sample for analysis. I just hate to think how many excess calories Jethro is taking in on a daily basis.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. The restaurants are setting parents up to fail? Um, I'm pretty well able to recognize on my own that most of those meals aren't exactly nutritious - I mean, fried chicken, cinnamon apples, and chocolate milk isn't balanced? Gee, who knew.

Posted by: Cec | August 4, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Again, the morons at CSPI have it wrong. It isn't the fat and calories, its the carbs, stupid!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't realize that fast food kids' meals are full of calories, fat and sodium isn't paying attention. The real question should be how we as a society can make healthier foods available at affordable prices for working class parents who are struggling to both feed their kids and work more than full time hours. Fast food is cheap, cheaper than food from the organic foods sections (if they even exist) in most grocery stores and restaurants. What can we do as society to demand that things be different???

Posted by: Ingrid in Cambridge | August 4, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

you take your children to McDonalds and the have the audacity to complain about their menu choice. how about your choice to take them there in the first palce

Posted by: ggergg | August 4, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm struggling to come up with places (other than fast food chains) where I could feed a child for under $5. I can't think of any.

Maybe someone else has thought of an option I'm missing?

What about vacations? We do a lot of roadtrips as a family, and fast food seems to provide at least one meal a day. There's got to be better options, but I don't know what they are?

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Fast food is bad. We all know it. We all eat it. The underlying goal is to feed your kids healthy home cooked meals as much as possible. This not only will keep them in good physical shape, it will also make their bodies defenses much stronger against disease.

And if you're kid is getting fat because all you feed them in McDonalds... then know this. McDonalds is not the problem... YOU ARE!!

Posted by: John Butler | August 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

While this is of course all deplorable, it really isn't an unforgivable sin for your child to eat at any fast food restaurant if it is not done on a daily or even weekly basis. In terms of a splurge, this isn't much more decadent than plopping down with a carton of Ben and Jerry's. While the restaurants could improve their nutrional offerings, they aren't the "evil" ones...it's the parents who take their kids there every week! If you are in a rush or don't have time to cook, buy a crock pot, make a big meal on Sunday and live off some leftovers. It just requires some planning ahead.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Ray Kroc's McDonald's in 1955 was 15-cent hamburgers, not "Big Macs" or any kindred b*st*rds.

If you got fat at McDonald's in 1955, you were boca grande, and richer than most of us.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Come on, it's not that hard to eat right!

1) Drink water...lots of water! Not only is it free, it doesn't contain the sugar or chemicals soft drinks and fake juices contain.

2) Work out or do something active during the day; for example, simply park your car further away from work or the mall and walk. Try to exercise at least 20-30 minutes a day, 3-5 days a week. Don't start off with an extremely rigorous work out routine, as you will burn out quickly. Start off slow and work up to a good work out.

3) If you're not very active, limit your caloric intake. Pretty simple. Also, limit you sugar intake to almost nothing. There's a lot of great alternatives to sugary junk food; for example, berries with yogurt, bananas and honey, etc.

4) If you eat to deal with stress or depression, see a therapist.

5) Increase you fiber intake! This will help you get rid of those nasty toxins and buildup of food that's sitting in you intestines.

6) Read food labels! It may say fat free or all natural, but that rarely means it's nutritious or healthy. If it has too many ingredients or words you cant pronounce - Don't buy it!

Good luck!

Posted by: bcmg77 | August 4, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Mikey D-

You should probably read the article before you post a comment. Subway meals do include a juice, and meet the calorie standards.

"The National Institute of Medicine recommends that a third of daily caloric intake of moderately active 4- to 8-year-olds should equal 430 calories."

Therefore 12 subway kids meal = 430 calories or less.

Posted by: Not that hard | August 4, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and stop counting carbs! Just do whats written above and you'll be fine.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

"It just requires some planning ahead."

In my parent-teacher conference example, I've finally convinced all the teachers I have to deal with that I need at minimum 24-hours notice. But if I get a call today (Monday) for a meeting on Wednesday, there's no intervening Sunday for that crock-pot meal.

I'm planning for the things I know about in advance. I wish I could plan for *everything*, but your suggestion is just not very realistic for some of us without crystal balls or fortune tellers on speed dial.

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

people have lived for thousands of years without fast food and have managed to feed our families and take care of other responsibilities .. we have more free time than we have ever had but yet we still complain about how we don't have time to cook a decent meal, raise our children, teach them moral standards etc. its really pathetic. why not give up a few things here and there so you can actually parent your children, rather than expect society to do it for you? do we really need a newspaper article to tell us that fast food might not be the best choice for dinner? its like everything else, we have these lazy parents who think its everyone else's job to keep their kids from getting fat, watching dirty movies, taking drugs, having sex, blowing away their classmates and anything else that they don't have "time" to do themselves. I have 6 children myself and there is no way i would expect everyone else to censor their lifestyles so i would be able to neglect my job as a parent.

www.myspace.com/motherof5boys1girl

Posted by: candytree | August 4, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. I'm a health nut to food at times, but 500 calories per meal sounds about right, okay. NORMAL.

The FDA recommends dieters follow a 2000 calorie intake daily.

That kids meal is what it is, a meal.

Posted by: JEFO | August 4, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

It is just as fast, and healthier and cheaper to just make a sandwich at home. Buy some deli turkey or chicken, a couple of slices of bread, a slice of cheese, a tomato or cucumber, and bingo, you are readly. Cut up an apple and you have dessert. And you can do it in less than 5 minutes.

Posted by: Emily | August 4, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? The 2,000 calorie recommendation is for ADULTS. And, it is for tall, big boned adults (males)...not your average adult who should only be taking in 1,400 cals per day, anyway.

CHILDREN should never eat 2,000 per day.

Posted by: ugh | August 4, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

My husband & I went to Disneyland in July, 2008 and saw carts with fresh fruit & vegetable plates, but not alot of parents with their children were eating them. The disgusting thing we saw was a parent giving their overweight toddler cotton candy to eat.

Posted by: kt | August 4, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, this is news?! It seems like common sense to me. Americans need to start eating REAL FOOD. The processed crap that people try and pass off as food is just as bad. Cheese should never be powdered.

Posted by: MzFitz | August 4, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

This is news? Nobody with even half a brain actually believes that a Happy Meal is good nutition.

Posted by: lepidopteryx | August 4, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

It's the FAT, DUMB AND HAPPY MEAL!!

Making your kids into drooling idiot Repukes for 50 years!!

Ronald McDonald is a fascist clown.

Posted by: Tom3 | August 4, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe McDonald's will have a Traitor Bob Treason Meal for kids soon.

It has photos and names of undercover US agents on the box!!

And it gives you cancer.

Posted by: Tom3 | August 4, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

oh this must be why the children waddle just like their parents...

Posted by: tom | August 4, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for explaining everything for me Nancy. Its so hard for me to share this type of stuff - but you've made it easier for me. Tom, I'm hoping you aren't trying to hit on my husband as well. I think I might start sobbing again.

Posted by: Donna | August 4, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sue -

but there is an intervening Tuesday, so you could make extras on Monday or Tuesday night and then have those leftovers on Wednesday. Have something in the freezer. It can be done. And for real pinches, pbj.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that you were permitted to deliver such a vapid, uninformative article on fast food calories. What person does not know that fast food is terrible for one's body? Do you really take your kids to McDonald's? If so, then you are the wrong person to be writing on this topic. This reads more like a horoscope than a well-researched story on the effects of fast food on children. This must have taken you all of 5 minutes to compile.

Posted by: MJ | August 4, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Subway is basically the only good fast food joint. Get a veggie sandwich or turkey breast, on wheat bread of course (it is now whole wheat, though it wasn't for a long time). Skip the mayo (I find mustard and vinegar do just fine) and get swiss cheese or no cheese at all. And I know the veggies aren't all that fresh, but they give you a good amount at least.

Ok, maybe not appetizing to kids, but I love it! You could of course make the same thing at home, but circumstances sometimes dictate otherwise. Plus, at 5 bucks for a footlong it is a filling, cheap meal with high potential for a leftover snack. Hell, two kids could easily split one!

Posted by: Phil | August 4, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Sue, for crying out loud - making a sandwich is faster than going to get fast food. Defrosting something healthy - a soup, a stew, sauce - takes maybe 4 minutes? And boiling spagetti, if you defrosted a spagetti sauce, takes 7 minutes or so.

You seriously have never considered these options before?

On our family vacations fast food is maybe one or two meals per vacation. We eat in actual restaurants - sometimes they are cheaper and healthier than fast food, take Vietnamese food. Our kid loves salads and phó. He often picks the main dish salad in a chain restaurant, too. I believe this is because we love healthy food ourselves, and model that behavior. At ten, he is turning into quite the chef, too, and is now our stir fry specialist.

I have two jobs and plenty of other pressures on my time but I was brought up in Europe so fast food usually doesn't even occur to me.

Posted by: Jada | August 4, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hate to sound like this, this is not hard, and a WaPo article has some amount of propaganda. You can order somewhat healthy items from McDonald's. A few times when I was on the run I stopped at McDonald's and got my sun the fruit and walnut salad which is only $1.50, yogurt, fruit, & walnuts. Nowadays you don't know what to believe with these articles, the other day I read that the best thing to get kids at McDonald's was chicken nuggets or a cheeseburger.

Posted by: mm | August 4, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

son

Posted by: mm | August 4, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Feed your kids at home. A third of their meals are at restaurants? No wonder you are a nation of fatsos. This just in. Your mortal enemies are lean and hungry. If you didn't have vastly superior weapons and power they would eat you for lunch. America has gone soft and lazy. A tiny minority of elite athletes surrounded by couch potato fat butts. Cut junior's fries and gravy and walk him to the park to play sports.

Posted by: Tom | August 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

McDonalds is healthy if you order the burger without the bun. Eat high fat, moderate protein and ultra low carb.
Dietary fat does not make you fat, carbs do. I try to keep my fat intake high with coconut oil as well. And oh yeah, I lost lots of weight eating at McDonalds.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that the MMs who brag about their unremarkable kids feed them fast food....

Posted by: Um | August 5, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Actually I think the point of most of these comments is that they don't, and they don't accept the cop-out that there is no alternative from those who do.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for all the kind wishes I've received.

Posted by: Donna | August 5, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:53 PM

Kids like to eat a couple of times everyday! There's a shocker! No need for a crystal ball! Where is your SAH hubby ?

Posted by: Really confused | August 5, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

sue-

there is a lot to say for a little foresight, and it doesn't require a "fortune teller" or "crystal ball". i grocery shop on the weekends, and try to cook at least 2 or 3 things to keep in the fridge/freezer. even getting things started, like chopping up vegetables while watching TV at night and throwing them in plastic bags to quickly stir fry on a weeknight is a huge time saver. make some big casseroles or lasagna type dishes and freeze them in individual portions to quickly nuke between work and those meetings. sure, things unexpectedly come up, but you'll always have a stash in the freezer or fridge if you plan ahead. oh, and as so many have suggested, sandwiches take minutes to put together....and even my 3 year old can slap some turkey between two slices of bread!

the " i don't have time for anything but fast food" excuse is a tired one....and shows a little laziness on the parent's part for taking the easy and disgusting way out.

Posted by: spd | August 5, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 7:51 AM

MMs have a lot b.s excuses. What else is new?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for all the kind wishes I've received.

Posted by: Donna | August 5, 2008 8:28 AM

There's one born every minute.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"In my parent-teacher conference example, I've finally convinced all the teachers I have to deal with that I need at minimum 24-hours notice."

Sue, how often are you getting called in for these emergency parent-teacher conferences, and why?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"If I come home from work, and immediately have to leave to get to a parent-teacher meeting, I don't have time to fix a balanced meal for the kid, and the only option I can think of is getting *something* from a restaurant or drive-through."

Most grocery stores have salad bars which, if you make good choices, can be very filling and nutritious. There is also nothing wrong with a tuna salad sandwich and some carrot sticks (instead of potato chips) or peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread.

Posted by: Me to Sue | August 5, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for all the kind wishes I've received.

Posted by: Donna | August 5, 2008 8:28 AM

There's one born every minute.

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 8:35 AM

Why are you being so mean to Donna? Don't you realize she just caught her husband in bed with her brother?

Posted by: Nancy | August 5, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The thing that bugs me about this and similar articles is that they assume that (1) it's the fast food chain's responsibility to police what a parent feeds his/her kids, and (2) that parents are so dumb that they don't know that things like McNuggets and fries are an unhealthy indulgence.

FWIW, you can go to McDonald's and order a reasonable meal for your kid. A happy meal with a burger, apples (chuck the caramel dip, they don't need it) and milk is 390 calories and 11 grams of fat. Not too bad, especially for an occasional treat.

Posted by: NewSAHM | August 5, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been to a McDonalds in so long, I can't even remember the last time I went. 1 year ago? 6 months ago?

I wish I could say that we don't eat some junkie food but we do. We did head out to a picnic on Saturday night with KFC because that is what my husband wanted. And often times on a Saturday night, we will have a frozen pizza at home. I work 8 hours then do groceries on Saturday so by the time I get home (after 7pm), I am too beat to do much more than throw a frozen pizza in the oven. But a pizza once a week is hardly going to kill us when we eat healthily the rest of the week.

All in moderation.

Posted by: Billie | August 5, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"There is also nothing wrong with a tuna salad sandwich"

except for the mercury and other heavy metal contanimation. Health experts warn against consumption of tuna.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 5, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Instead of fast food, what about healthier options like Panera, Corner Bakery, and the like? Even costco has prepared meals you can use to feed your family. We haven't had fast food in I don't know how long. Not only is it disgusting, but it gives me the runs.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

From the On Parenting blog (where the Mommy Blog nutsos have migrated):

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 5, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Oooops. Sorry boys and girls.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 5, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"I'll have a four-piece Chicken McNugget Happy Meal with juice, please." - Stacey's Kids

What Stacey left out is the FRIES they're also getting. That's the only way they're getting up to 500 calories, even if you add on a dipping sauce. A Happy Meal with McNuggets (4), Sweet-n-Sour Sauce, Apple Dippers, Caramel Dip and Apple Juice at McDonalds is 420 Calories - right at the recommended intake. Granted, there's way more fat and sodium than I'd prefer, but it will do in a pinch. Ditch the s/s sauce and get water and you're down to 280 calories. Even a cheeseburger, apples/caramel, and water is just 400 calories - under the recommendation for "moderately active" kids. Anyone with half a brain knows that fries are pure evil (that's why they taste so good!). There are plenty of reasonable choices at fast food restaurants if you choose appropriately.

I was appalled to see that Chick-fil-a took a hit in the article and I'm still trying to find out why. The article says that 100% of kids meal combinations at Chick-fil-a exceed the 430 calorie recommendation. Please explain then why my son's favorite fast food meal - 4 piece nugget, fruit cup, honey mustard dip & bottled water - comes in at a mere 225 calories?

There's clearly a political motivation behind this report - the paternalistic state at its best.

Posted by: two terrific boys | August 5, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 8:41 AM

Sue has two children with "special" needs. DH also has "issues". Sue frequently uses these "trump cards" as baloney excuses... Proceed at your own risk.

Posted by: The ace in the hole | August 5, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NewSAHM | August 5, 2008 8:49 AM

Nutrition advice from the obese.

Posted by: FWIW | August 5, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

FWIW - Get over your sorry self and stop slamming New SAHM about her weight. One can be quite knowledgable about nutrition and still have weight problems for any number of reasons. What's important is working hard to raise healthy kids who make good food choices rather than passing on one's own food/weight issues. And if you think that can't be done, then you're just as foolish as you'd have us believe New SAHM is.

Posted by: two terrific boys | August 5, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I've given up trying to give my kids healthy meals now. I just take them to mcdonalds and let them eat whatever.

Posted by: Donna | August 5, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"What's important is working hard to raise healthy kids who make good food choices rather than passing on one's own food/weight issues."

Posted by: two terrific boys | August 5, 2008 9:16 AM

What are the stats on this?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Health experts warn against consumption of tuna."

Only for pregnant women.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

haven't eaten mcdonald's since high school - don't eat fast food often at the moment since I don't eat meat. My DH is so wonderful when we go out and I say: oh, i'll find something, and we go somewhere else cause he doesn't think what I'll find is enough for me.

So we NEVER take the kids to fast food - my husband's cousins do - so it's a treat. The oldest is enamored by the toy.

We try to go to healthier places. Where we have 'issues' is when we're traveling and we have the dog - we have to get something quick so the dog isn't outside alone for long. We we've gone to subway (kids share a sandwich) or BK - which has a veggie burger now. I don't remember where else.

But when we vacation lately it's been to a house with a kitchen. So we buy food and eat there sometimes - limiting the outside food. We pretty much have to do this with breakfast, which is fine, who needs to spend that much on breakfast, when the kids are starving and wouldn't behave in a restaurant anyway.

We go to 'faster' food places, like for burritos or taquerias or places that are quicker, but healthier. Whenever you eat out, it's less healthy, that's just the way it is. they use more salt, etc, than I ever would at home.

Sue: there are plenty of options. Most have been discussed. Why don't you crock pot EVERY sunday, then if something shows up unexpectedly, you're prepared, but if it doesn't, you'd be less stressed? Hard boiled eggs and some fruit works, as well.
You can hard boil a bunch on the weekend, too...

Posted by: atlmom | August 5, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Also, limit you sugar intake to almost nothing. There's a lot of great alternatives to sugary junk food; for example, berries with yogurt, bananas and honey, etc."

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

to 9:55 - I believe 'added sugar' was what the person was talking about. There is nothing wrong with fructose, unless you think there's something wrong with fruit.

It's the 'added' sugar that's the problem. Like what you put in your coffee, or if you're having ice cream, etc. That's sugar cane or whatever. That's the bad stuff. All carbs turn into sugar, too - and the white bread/muffins/cake stuff is definitely not good for you. Try the complex stuff, with fiber (which, as mentioned, is good for you...)

Posted by: atlmom | August 5, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:53 PM

I'm not a planner, but I am missing why it is so impossible or difficult to maintain snack-size baggies of carrots or celery sticks in the fridge, make a couple of halves of peanut butter and jelly sandwiched (what? 2 minutes tops?) and have the kids grab water bottles out of the fridge on their way to the car. My life is pretty frazzled, but it takes less time to do this than it does to go through any drive-through line. It teaches your kids to respect your budget and your money, too.

Posted by: Ophelia | August 5, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Health experts warn against consumption of tuna.

Only for pregnant women."

Actually, also for kids. I can't remember the exact guidelines, but the recommended limit for tuna intake in children is quite low.

Posted by: NewSAHM | August 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Remember when McDonald's opted for healthier food choices and began serving frozen yogurt instead of ice cream cones? Boooooo! I'm glad they changed back to the real deal for their soft serve cones. - only 2 points too for those of you that care.

As for the salad, which you would think is the healthiest item on the menu, if you use the packet of dressing you've just added 300 calories of pure fat to your meal making it one of the worst choices for those who are counting their calories.

On a personal note, there is only 1 food item I've ever come across that gives me heartburn, - an Egg McMuffin, and that says something because I was blessed with a stomach that is as tough as a cement mixer.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 5, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:28 PM

On vacation, we rent efficiencies or we stay at a place that includes a continental breakfast. Buy healthy foods. Eat healthy foods. Even the unhealthy treats are ones you can anticipate and control and you don't call them a "meal". I don't think we've had fast food on a vacation in 10 years. We're not some granola-crunching perfect family either. We eat white bread, for example, and don't obsess about every consumable.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I was blessed with a stomach that is as tough as a cement mixer.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 5, 2008 10:02 AM

And as big as one, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"There is nothing wrong with fructose, unless you think there's something wrong
with fruit."

Atlmom, the above line is like saying there is nothing wrong with sucrose unless you think there is something wrong with beets.

I think someone sold you a line.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sue | August 4, 2008 6:28 PM

Take along a large cooler with fresh food in it, and buy more fresh food at grocery stores along the way. That way you can eat simple (an important word when on vacation!) but nutritious meals at picnic grounds in local parks, or at campgrounds if you're camping.

Posted by: it's really easy | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Grain of salt. There are healthy and unhealthy options everywhere, if you choose to look. And CSPI has long had a big old axe to grind.

We go to McD's or Chick-fil-A occasionally. My daughter's favorite happy meal is a 4-piece nugget (190), milk (100), and apples (35 -- she doesn't eat the dip). That's 325 calories.

Panera? Man, I love them, but don't make the mistake of thinking they're necessarily a healthier option. Their kids' sandwiches alone are all listed at 300-400 calories -- and that's not including the drink and side. My kids' favorite blueberry bagel and cream cheese? 530, again without drink. See http://www.panerabread.com/pdf/nutr-guide.pdf

If you care, most major restaurants have their nutritional information posted on the web. Do some research and make your own decisions based on what matters to you. Not as much fun as being snarky and judgmental, but more productive.

Posted by: Laura | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

On the other hand, a few calories from sugar naturally occurring in fresh fruit are many times less than what's in "sweets."

Posted by: atlmom is right | August 5, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Not as much fun as being snarky and judgmental, but more productive.

Posted by: Laura | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM

And, not as fun as bragging about your unremarkable children....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

And, not as fun as bragging about your unremarkable children....

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM

____

If you don't want to hear about other people's children, why do you come to a parenting blog? Parenting necessarily involves children. And, I haven't seen anything on this post that even remotely rises to "bragging about unremarkable children." Get a life and a new line.

Posted by: get a new line | August 5, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Not as much fun as being snarky and judgmental, but more productive.

Posted by: Laura | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM

Now this is what trolling is all about.

Posted by: Fisherman | August 5, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 9:55 AM

Interpret it as you will, but if you make the statement that people should limit their intake of sugar to almost nothing, then almost nothing means almost nothing. Your body doesn't care what form of -ose it gets, it processes it all in the same manner. If your goal is to reduce sugar consumption to almost nothing, then don't kid yourself that you can keep on consuming fruit and be consistent with your stated strategy.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: two terrific boys | August 5, 2008 9:16 AM

What are the stats on this?

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 9:20 AM

The stats on what? What's important in life?

Asking for statistics without indicating either the nature of the research or the sort of data you want those statistics to include indicates that you are a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"ADDED refined sugar is the real culprit, because in "sweets" it provides a huge number of nutritionally empty calories."

ADDED refined fructose or corn syrup isn't any different. Corn syrup is in just about everything Americans eat.

Posted by: Atlmom got sold a line | August 5, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

MMs have a lot b.s excuses. What else is new?

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 8:33 AM

Trolls have more b.s. excuses, particularly for using insulting phrases.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

for fast food, we love Baja Fresh-- it's our son's favorite! He calls it the "guacamole place". We went to Five Guys this weekend and I got the veggie sandwich-- absolutely heavenly-- and the fries were soooooo good.

The big advantage McD's has over Subway, etc. is the drive through-- with a preschooler and a little baby it is so much easier to just keep everyone strapped into their car seats and then eat at a park/playground elsewhere. We would definately do Subway instead if it were drive through.

Posted by: candy | August 5, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Instead of fast food, what about healthier options like Panera, Corner Bakery, and the like? "

Is it about making smart nutritional choices or impressing your friends or the trolls with your smart nutritional choices? Sheeple, please.

Fast food, or quick-serve, is fast-food, whether or not it comes with a logo that has more cachet than McDs. It's not healthier just because you pay an astronomical price for it. You can eat a high-fructose-corn-syrup-filled 800 calorie muffin at the Corner Bakery, a 620 calorie, meat-and-cheese filled, high fat sandwich at Panera (on sunflower bread, but so what?) or a simple salad at Wendy's with no dressing (cha-ching: 220 or fewer calories if you make it kid-sized). Which choice is healthier? It doesn't take a brain surgeon. You can pay $6.50 to get fat at Panera or the Corner Bakery or you can pay $3.75 to be healthier at McDonald's. You are the one doing the ordering. You are the problem.

It doesn't make you or your kids any thinner to say you haven't eaten at McDonalds in 10 years. You are making all the wrong choices everywhere else.

Atlmom - you're all wet on the sugar issue. Sugar's bad no matter what form. The empty calories in honey butter and applesauce are no healthier than the empty calories in girl scout cookies.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"why is high fructose corn syrup so evil? I recall reading somewhere that I should avoid it and I have been-- I buy Pepperage Farms, for example."

If you are buying Pepperidge Farm products, you are still buying over-processed, refined foods. Step away from the bakery section of your grocery store and you won't have to worry about that muffin-top.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"Why don't you crock pot EVERY sunday, then if something shows up unexpectedly, you're prepared, but if it doesn't, you'd be less stressed? "

I'd slit my wrists before I'd eat crap out of a crock pot, let alone every Sunday. You are cooking away the entire nutritional content of whatever is in the components of that crock-pot meal. If the point is healthier eating, toss the crock pot in the trash and grab a handful of raw carrots instead.

Posted by: Donna's Sister | August 5, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

MMs have a lot b.s excuses. What else is new?

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 8:33 AM

Please stop being mean. Alot of us are really trying to learn how to be better parents on this site.

Posted by: Nancy | August 5, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The MMs who frequent mcdonalds and other fast food joints probably are trailer moms. Good moms take their kids to places like chipotle, cheesecake factory, and get food from whole foods.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

MMs have a lot b.s excuses. What else is new?

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 8:33 AM

Posted by: Nancy | August 5, 2008 10:50 AM

One way to be a better parent is to knock off the b.s. excuses. Bad example for the kiddies and the other MMs are the only ones who swallow the b.s. excuses.

Posted by: Sid | August 5, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"I'd slit my wrists before I'd eat crap out of a crock pot"

Why? It's easy to make nutritious homemade soups and stews in a slow-cooker. I assume, for example, that you don't eat dried legumes dry, but cooked.

Posted by: raw foods aren't always safe | August 5, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

to candy @ 10:34: "why is high fructose corn syrup so evil? I recall reading somewhere that I should avoid it and I have been-- I buy Pepperage Farms, for example. But they use "real" sugar-- the stuff from the cane-- instead. How weird is it that now cane sugar is considered better and healthier than high fructose corn syrup? Is it because sugar tastes so good that you only need a little bit of it, whereas you need more corn syrup (and more calories) to have the same effect? Or is it because production of corn syrup is worse for the environment than production of cane sugar? Both? other?"

Most of the research on this is biased by money and politics; the wikipedia article on High-Fructose Corn Syrup is actually pretty good and has a lot of detailed references and citations.

The bottom line is that high-fructose corn syrup/55% (HFCS 55, used in a lot of soft drinks) is essentially equal to pure sucrose for most health purposes. There's more processing involved in producing HFCS 55 than there is in producing sucrose, so some people/groups don't like it for that reason. But there's not a lot of real difference.

The biggest issue is that in the US the price of sugar is artificially inflated due to high tariffs and price supports, while the price of corn (and thus HFCS) is artificially held down through subsidies - all due to political maneuvers. In other countries that's not true, which is why Coke is made with HFCS in the US and with sucrose in Mexico - it's just cheaper that way.

And as somebody else noted, CSPI has a HUGE axe to grind, so anything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt - no pun intended.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | August 5, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

What's the pressure, Kenneth?

Posted by: to AB | August 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

seriously, do you not get enough attention at home or work? you are such a windbag!

Posted by: another post for armybrat | August 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"seriously, do you not get enough attention at home or work?"

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmyBrat | August 5, 2008 11:24 AM

Duh!!!

Nursing Nazis are next on today's program.

Posted by: Peanut Gallery | August 5, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"I'd slit my wrists before I'd eat crap out of a crock pot"

Please do!

Posted by: emo sighting | August 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

from the article "Malwebolence" (page 3 online):

Theory of the Green Hair.

"You have green hair," [troll Jason Fortuny] told me. "Did you know that?"

"No," I said.

"Why not?"

"I look in the mirror. I see my hair is black."

"That's uh, interesting. I guess you understand that you have green hair about as well as you understand that you're a terrible reporter."

"What do you mean? What did I do?"

"That's a very interesting reaction," Fortuny said. "Why didn't you get so defensive when I said you had green hair?" If I were certain that I wasn't a terrible reporter, he explained, I would have laughed the suggestion off just as easily. The willingness of trolling "victims" to be hurt by words, he argued, makes them complicit, and trolling will end as soon as we all get over it.

Posted by: green hair alert! | August 5, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I do not buy the idea that fast food is just cheaper than nutritious healthy food one bit. Secondly, 95% of the food even sold in grocery stores is junk food: corn syrup, oil and finely processed wheat.

Posted by: allkindsofduh | August 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: allkindsofduh | August 5, 2008 11:34 AM

So buy nutritious food and quitcher b!tching.

Posted by: that's easy | August 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Have your kids run, jump, play basketball, and enjoy watching then grow lean and strong (10 yo --95 pounds -- 5'1"--pure muscle) no matter what they eat. Stock his room with hundreds of books, pull the TV out, and you will add brain to those muscles. Pat yourself on the back.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Re nutritious salads at fast-food restaurants: there's no law requiring you to choose/use fattening dressing. Either use only part of the packet, or request the diet (low-calorie) dressing.

Posted by: it's called self-control! | August 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Folks:

Just a reminder that The Post will shut down comments in about 20 minutes for blog maintenance. Blogs are expected to return late Wednesday. On Parenting will add new posts on Thursday morning.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | August 5, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The word "windbag" has appeared a total of 17 times on this blog. 16 of them coming after June of this year.

Some dimwitted troll could sure use a vocabulary boost! Ya think?

Posted by: Blog Stats | August 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oops, and another and one for me and that makes 19.

Posted by: Blog Stats | August 5, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Some dimwitted troll could sure use a vocabulary boost! Ya think?

Posted by: Blog Stats | August 5, 2008 11:48 AM

Up yours!

Posted by: Who died and make you in charge! | August 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I remember AB from OnBalance, though I don't remember him being harassed so much on OB. He sounds professional, which is not appreciated on this blog. As a matter of fact, I would be more than happy to get AB interested in a position. CiscoMary46 at yahoo.com (a throwaway one-time use address, don't bother spamming)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: it's noon | August 5, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"As a matter of fact, I would be more than happy to get AB interested in a position. CiscoMary46 at yahoo.com (a throwaway one-time use address, don't bother spamming)"

Doggy-style position?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

test again!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

“Newsflash: Sentence two is at odds with sentence one. Berries have fructose. Bananas have fructose. Honey has fructose, glucose, and if the beekeeper feeds the hive sugar syrup to keep it going over the winter, it includes sucrose as well. If it ends in "ose", it's sugar. If you intend to hand out nutritional advice, you need to develop a more sophisticated understanding of nutritional content."

Dear know-it-all trolling jerk,

Having a degree in nutrition, I would like to hope I have a very well developed understanding of nutritional content. Sorry, I should have said processed sugar, refined sugar, etc. Also, insinuating berries (or other fruits) are not an alternative to sugary junk food is quite asinine. Sugar from fruit is absorbed more slowly by the body than refined sugar and will keep insulin and blood sugar stable - refined sugar will make insulin and blood sugar rise very quickly! Also, fruits provide you with nutrients and phytochemicals. Does refined sugar? No.

I also want to point out the importance of moderation; while I did say to use honey in place of sugar, it’s still important to use sparingly. In my opinion, honey is superior to granulated sugar because the fructose from the granulated sugar converts to fat stores more easily than honey. Honey also contains vitamins and minerals and can aid in digestion.

Instead of being a know-it-all trolling jerk, maybe YOU should develop a more "sophisticated understanding of nutritional content." Also, if you don’t like fruit and want to keep consuming refined sugar, fine. It's your life. But please don’t spread your weird, uneducated misconceptions that have the potential to hurt people. I mean, it doesn’t exactly take a rocket scientist to tell you that processed and sugary foods are bad for you and that fruit and veggies are good for you. I would assume that’s pretty basic logic, right?

Posted by: bcmg77 | August 6, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Dear know-it-all trolling jerk,

Posted by: bcmg77 | August 6, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. Unintentional.

Posted by: bcmg77 | August 6, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

How many calories do you think is in any meal people?
If you give your child at home the following meal, how many calories do you think are in it?
1 orange
1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich
some vegetables
1 glass of chocolate milk
Approximately 475!
430 calories is very little food. A recent article on the front page of the MSN web site had a study that showed a meal at a sit down restaurant has an average calorie count of 900 calories without including a drink and an average calorie count at a fast food restaurant had an average calorie count of only 485.
Fast food is the easy target, but not the correct one.

Posted by: dw | August 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Pure sugar saved my life several times.

Posted by: diabetic | August 6, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

bcmg77

I appreciated your effort! PLease give us more ideas when this topic comes up again.

Posted by: Irishgirl74 | August 6, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The ace in the hole | August 5, 2008 9:02 AM

Hey, Ace, thanks for speaking up for me. Just one little request, when you write my biography, could we have a little more fact-checking before publication?

Older son has autism. Younger son is neurotypical. I think they're both really special people, but not in the sense of using "special" as a synonym for disabled. Only one has a disability, fortunately.

DH has type-I diabetes, which wouldn't usually be considered an "issue". I think it's classed as a disease. Someone with a medical degree can correct me if I got that wrong. He's also been treated in the last few years for depression, although he's not currently on Prozac or any other medications for that condition.

But your fictional account of my family is mildly entertaining at least.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

And to everyone who had real suggestions for improving on what my family eats, thanks!

You Nice Mommies are all invited to my house this Saturday. We'll have an organic homegrown vegetable feast for the kids! Younger son and I will be harvesting his Brussels sprouts, one last carrot from the garden, and the last of the garlic, and we can saute them in a little olive oil - no olive trees in my back yard, so that won't be homegrown - but I have a lemon tree, so we can use a little juice to add extra flavor to the veggies.

Posted by: Sue | August 6, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

test again!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bcmg77 | August 6, 2008 4:12 PM

Defensive much? You said what you said. If pointing out inaccuracies and inconsistencies in your statements counts as asinine, you have quite a low threshhold for being wrong. I'd have thought you might have appreciated the correction on your misstatements, but I was expecting too much of someone with the emotional maturity of a 2 month old amphibian.

I love fruit, love honey, and don't consume refined sugars. Had you made your initial point coherently, there'd be no reason to get your panties in a wad and take up the spear of your inadequate vocabulary. Tally ho.

Posted by: to bcmg77 | August 6, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

roriccnac

Posted by: lidelol | August 12, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

long term care insurance provider [URL=http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-1360.htm]long term care insurance provider[/URL] [url=http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-1360.htm]long term care insurance provider[/url] [url]http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-1360.htm[/url]

Posted by: long term care insurance provider | August 18, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

birthday cake designs birthday cake designs [link=http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-1451.htm]birthday cake designs[/link]

Posted by: birthday cake designs | August 18, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse