Every Little Thing He Does Is Magic

In introducing the title track from "Magic" at the very much sold out Verizon Center last night, Bruce Springsteen said the tune is about how "the truth gets twisted into lies, and lies get twisted into the truth." In other words: A perfect song for Washington! "Hey," he said, "this is where it all happens."

Springsteen, of course, knows from magic, having spent much of the last 30-plus years bewitching legions of music fans - particularly those of his own generation - with rich, youthful narratives, working-class anthems and trenchant political poetry. That's especially true live, where his work is the stuff of legend.

He and the E Street Band may be well past the days of the marathon concerts that sometimes pushed up against the four-hour mark, but Springsteen remains one of the most potent live performers in popular music - largely because he's among the most committed practitioners of the form, draining all of his creative energy every time he's on stage. He also maintains an unwavering faith in the power of rock 'n' roll; in turn, his own power is undeniable.

Bonding is, of course, paramount - no audience is more important to Springsteen than the one he's currently facing - and so he set out to do just that with the Verizon Center audience immediately on Sunday. "Is there anybody alive out there?" he wondered upon bounding onto the stage. "IS THERE ANYBODY ALIVE OUT THERE?" And away he and the E Street Band went with "Radio Nowhere," a chugging rocker about searching for connections in a disconnected world.

The song was one of nine from "Magic" included in Sunday's marvelous and somewhat eclectic 24-song set, which reached all the way back to 1973 for a couple of old gems: "Kitty's Back" and "Growin' Up."

We'll have a more fully formed review of the concert in Tuesday's Style section (and, of course, on This Very Web Site). As you can probably gather, it's going to be overwhelmingly positive, since last night's show was one of the best big-venue concerts I've seen since, well ... since May of 2006, when Springsteen hosted an amazing old-timey hootenanny at Nissan Pavilion.

For now, here's last night's set list with some observations and thoughts from my notebook.

Radio Nowhere: Ringing guitar attack, sticky melody and lyrical theme make it a great opener. Stripped of some of the studio version's gloss, the song is more effective live than on CD/MP3/LP/etc. The mix is a little bit muddy for my tastes. Then again, so is Brendan O'Brien's production on "Magic."

No Surrender: The closing chords of "Radio Nowhere" are still ringing as the band starts in here; one of many terrific transitions on the night. It's even more interesting to hear Bruce sing "I'm ready to grow young again" now, at the age of 58, than it was 23 years ago. He seems to put particular emphasis on the lyric "peaceful skies."

Lonesome Day: "Joke's on me/It's gonna be okay/If I can just get through this lonesome day." So much for not surrendering. Nils Lofgren really announces his presence with a short blast of howling guitar.

Gypsy Biker: Bruce's moaning harmonica sets up this haunting tale about a soldier returning home in a casket. Much more powerful live than on "Magic." Steven Van Zandt and Bruce trade tangled riffs during their two dueling solos, and it sounds great.

Magic: Patti Scialfa sings harmony vocals, but the real co-star here is Soozie Tyrell and her sawing fiddle. "Trust none of what you hear/And less of what you see," Bruce sings.

Reason to Believe: The only "Nebraska" song in the set, it's delivered as a bluesy stomp.

Night: An old warhorse that somehow still sounds fresh, as if Springsteen et al remain these restless, romantic young souls whose world is, in fact, busting at its seams. Max Weinberg really pushes the tempo here with his furious but steady drumming. The man is a Hemi.

She's the One: Love the Bo Diddley beat.

Livin' in the Future: The way the song opens - with a snare hit, a blaring tenor line from Clarence, those organ breaks from Danny Federici and Garry Tallent's swaggering bass line - really suggests "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out." But when Bruce starts talking about the state of life in America and rendition and wiretapping and whatnot, well ... it's clear that it was just a head fake. But this is serious stuff. The Constitution is under attack. We're under attack. Bruce is all worked up. "The E Street Band is here tonight to do something about it!" Beat. "We're going to sing about it. We're musicians. It's a start." Pretty funny moment.

The Promised Land: Very soulful. Very sweaty, too - every time Bruce thrusts his arm in the air, perspiration flies.

I'll Work For Your Love: Anybody looking for clues about whether this song has anything to do with Bruce and Patti's alleged domestic issues comes up empty as there are no knowing glances, winks, smiles, air kisses or even arched eyebrows exchanged. Though Bruce does huddle with Nils mid-song

Tunnel of Love: Nils shines with his pealing solos, though there's almost too much noise here, between the keyboards, the fiddle, the guitars and the echo effect. Still, I'll take that over the '80s synths of the recorded version.

Working on the Highway: A strummy boot stomper, this wouldn't have sounded out of place musically during the Seeger Sessions tour. Lyrically, though - not a match.

Devil's Arcade: Bruce says this one's "for Veterans Day" and delivers a moving, meditative performance of his somewhat vague lament from a soldier's lover who loses her man to the military.

The Rising: Band reaches skyward with post-9/11 anthem.

Last to Die Bruce's best (and most impassioned) musical rant of the set. The overdriven guitars heighten the message.

Long Walk Home: Does this song really need a Clarence sax solo that sound like all the other Clarence sax solos? Actually, what it needs is an explanation. I'm still not sure whether it's about a broken romance or a veteran who now feels like an outsider in his own hometown. Or something else entirely. The placement in the set, following the previous three songs, would seem to suggest it's about a vet. But then it's followed by . . .

Badlands: You know, where "you gotta live it everyday/Let the broken hearts stand/As the price you've gotta pay." Great marching beat. Ditto for Springsteen's woozy guitar solo.

ENCORE

Girls in Their Summer Clothes: Springsteen channels Brian Wilson and Phil Spector on a pretty song that still doesn't connect with me lyrically. I've been told I'm too young to understand - that if I revisit this song again in a couple of decades, when the girls do, in fact, pass me by, it will be deeply meaningful. We'll see.

Growin' Up: What's old is new again as this marks the first time the "Greetings from Asbury Park" tune has been played on this tour, according to Bruce. The performance is gloriously raggedy.

Kitty's Back: Jazzy and bluesy and funky and totally shifty, with some seriously hard vamping and a wild crescendo. A thrilling stylistic curveball.

Born to Run: Explosive and electrifying. So much power in this performance - and in the room. The house lights are turned all the way up, and it's quite a sight seeing all those pumping fists and beaming, screaming faces.

Dancing in the Dark: Another crowd-pleasing thriller, though this really sounds like a period piece to me because of the synthesizers. I had to check to make sure I wasn't wearing pegged acid-washed jeans.

American Land: Roy and Danny playing accordions! Little Stevie on the mandolin! Clarence playing ... well, some sort of flute! Just like the Nissan jamboree, only no tuba this time. Still, a fantastic finish.

Can't wait to do it all over again.

Going tonight? What set-list changes would you like to see?

Were you there Sunday? What'd you like/dislike about the set?

Do tell.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  November 12, 2007; 8:12 AM ET Concerts , Set Lists , Springsteen
Previous: About This Blog | Next: Meet the New Bosses: Indie Rock Finds Its Inner Bruce

Comments

Amazing. Hard to get into it from the 400 section but tonight I will be on the floor....cannot wait....

Posted by: Ray | November 12, 2007 9:51 AM

Coming into work today didn't bother me in the least after seeing the show last night - Radio Nowhere, Badlands, Growin Up were highlights. Truly a magical experience.

Posted by: Paul | November 12, 2007 9:54 AM

J-Free:

Long Walk Home should be read as a lament about how far America seems to have strayed from its purported ideals. The key phrase, to me, is, "that flag flying over the courthouse means certain things are set in stone -- who we are, what we'll do and what we won't."
Thought it was the best MCI/Verizon crowd I've ever seen -- and I think the band fed off that. Expected a few war/vets tunes to get sprinkled in last night; maybe tonight. Can't wait for Round 2!

Posted by: exNJBoy | November 12, 2007 9:57 AM

So how long did the show go? I am going tonight and have to let my babysitter know. Also, did he start by 8?

Posted by: Edna | November 12, 2007 10:04 AM

The band came on stage at about 8:30, one hour later than the time printed on the ticket. The arena was about half full at 7:30, so it's a good thing they waited. Show ended at 10:40 or so. 90-minute main set with a 30-minute encore.

My favorite songs of the evening: Magic, Reason to Believe, She's the One, Promised Land, Devil's Arcade, Long Walk Home, and American Land. Dancing in the Dark was also a pleasant surprise - I wasn't expecting to hear it, or to like it either.

Posted by: SSMD | November 12, 2007 10:19 AM

Awesome! Im going tonight and have never been able to get Bruce tickets before. I can't WAIT! I'd like to hear a few more old songs, but heck, the list above sounds pretty good to me.

Posted by: Hacksaw | November 12, 2007 10:20 AM

Hi Edna --

Last night's show started at 8:25 pm and ended at about 10:40.

Posted by: Larry L. | November 12, 2007 10:22 AM

Sounds like a great show to me. No surprise. Seen him about 10 times and he's been better than anyone I've ever seen 10 times runnin'. Looking forward to the 11-18 show in Boss-Town.
Hey Broooooooce. Can you invite Peter Wolf to do Dirty Water with ya again?????

Posted by: Steve Medeiros | November 12, 2007 10:25 AM

Great show. Here's hoping he throws a few more curveballs. Now that he's back on the East Coast, maybe he'll put Thundercrack back in the setlist. Or, maybe we'll get some full band versions of the Devils and Dust stuff tonight. Last night was great, but tonight is going to be even better!

Posted by: Dupont | November 12, 2007 10:31 AM

One more comment: the sound quality from behind the stage, upper deck, was poor. Very difficult to hear anything clearly except for Bruce's vocals, the drums, and one or two lead instruments. It also wasn't loud enough for me where I was sitting - too many details lost when the neighbors started screaming Bruuuuuuuuce or chatting amongst themselves.

Also, a note to the Blog Masters: your time stamp is still stuck on Daylight Savings Time :-)

Posted by: SSMD | November 12, 2007 10:34 AM

Great review, JFree...I thought many of the same things when I saw him in Chicago.

You know what would be cool? To ask sportswriter extraordinairre, Liz Clarke, what SHE thought of the show...

Posted by: JRG | November 12, 2007 10:40 AM

J-
We definitely saw the same show last night. What a rockin' blowout of a show!
I've seen The Boss maybe eight times (nothing compared to my buddy in NJ) and this was probably one of the top two shows I've caught of his.
It was also my wife's very first Bruce concert-- she absolutely loved every second.
Terrific show and a great review-- thanks for such a fine write-up!
DB in DC

Posted by: Drew | November 12, 2007 10:45 AM

The sound was horrible in the uppers. You could barely hear any vocals with clarity and the instruments screeched all night long. The sound was too focused at the stage and did not fill the arena. Is the Verizon Center like that or was the sound at this show particularly bad?

Posted by: Suzie | November 12, 2007 10:59 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Those of us who can't get to the concerts need to feel that passion, too.

Posted by: Fairfax | November 12, 2007 11:01 AM

I seen about 15 Bruce shows over the years. I'd put this in the top 5. It'll be hard to top Growin' Up and Kitty's Back in the encores tonight.

Posted by: G man | November 12, 2007 11:10 AM

last night was my second show of this tour (first one was philly, the second of the tour) and my show count is in the hundreds at this point.

last night was the essential bruce - growin' up and kitty's back were great. i've seen kitty a few times - asbury park at the holiday shows and on the rising tour in philly - but that smoking guitar never gets old.

i'll work for your love is my new fave from magic; here's hoping for ramrod tonight and i'm predicting jungleland.

Posted by: maggy | November 12, 2007 11:15 AM

Best moment of the show: everyone sitting through a somber 'Devil's Arcade, and then 20,000 people getting to their feet, as one, as the opening chords of 'The Rising' rip through the arena. Electrifying.

Posted by: Adam Z | November 12, 2007 11:22 AM

anybody know who was playing guitar with bruce during encore ?

Posted by: greg | November 12, 2007 11:29 AM

Awesome show - Bruce at his best! Before the start I didn't feel much vibe from the crowd, but as soon as the band came on stage everyone was on their feet and singing - er, shouting - along! Badlands was my favorite, and Reason to Believe was excitingly different and with masterful transitions.

The only way to top this would have been with Because the Night (not sure if he does this one anymore though.)

There were indeed some sound clarity issues on the upper-deck-behind-the-band seats, but it was made up for by a great view of the band and seeing Bruce and Little Steven frequently turning around towards the back.

Anyone going to tonight - you'll love it!

Posted by: cpw | November 12, 2007 11:37 AM

that was bruce's cousin frankie, who we last saw on sept. 3, 1999 at verizon. that was the night bonnie raitt, jackson browne, mary chapin carpenter all jammed with bruce for red-headed woman. that was a show!

Posted by: maggy | November 12, 2007 11:37 AM

Bruce is still "THE BOSS".Great show, eventhough I was sitting next to a group of sober mormons who never moved for the entire show. Isn't that what CD's at home are for ?

Posted by: Curley | November 12, 2007 11:38 AM

Someone just tell me he's coming to Houston in the spring - He hasn't sold out the last two shows down here, so it's questionable....

Posted by: John D in Houston | November 12, 2007 11:39 AM

Great nite ! I don't know what part I enjoyed most- an awesome performance from the BOSS, or spilling a pint on Gov. O'Malley at Fado's afterwards.

Posted by: SteveO | November 12, 2007 11:45 AM

I moved to Flemington New Jersey (the hometown of Danny Federici) in the summer of 1978 at age 16 and was introduced to Springsteen's music by my best friend. Growin' Up holds a special place in my heart as I was going through a lot of personal issues at the time. and hearing those first few notes last night brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | November 12, 2007 11:55 AM

For those seeking tix for tonight, try Ticketmaster.com NOW....Springsteen did a ticket drop this morning!

Posted by: Rich | November 12, 2007 12:06 PM

BTW, I'm still hoping for "Incident" tonight. Always wanted to hear it live, never have (although YouTube has a few versions, and I have the official release from 1980 on the "Fire" 45). Perhaps Springsteen will note that the arena is on 7th Street :-)

Posted by: Rich | November 12, 2007 12:10 PM

i missed glory days. its an all time fave. maybe i should try to go tonight...

Posted by: janiceelaine | November 12, 2007 12:21 PM

Tremendous show...the atmosphere was electric. Only my fourth time seeing him but completely blew me away.

In reference to the question posed in the review about "Long Walk Home" - as I've listened to the track over the past weeks it's really struck me as more of a metaphor about our country and where we are and how far we have to go to get back to the ideals that we proclaim..."who we are, what we'll do and what we won't...it's gonna be a long walk home."

I don't know, that's just my take on it.

To me it sort of fits with the themes of "Magic" and "Livin' in the Future" and continues that thread through the album

Posted by: Chris | November 12, 2007 12:22 PM

Amazing show for my first Bruce concert. Got first row tickets! The legendary energy of the band and the show they put on exceeded my expectations. Bruce didn't talk as much as I thought he would, but the set was action packed!

Fun moments from watching the band and the crowd not mentioned.

A great part was when Bruce threw a harmonica into the audience for one lucky fan.

Noticed someone in a wheelchair in front of me in the pit was given a setlist during the show which was a really nice gesture.

An older gentleman (possibly in his 70s) rocking out the whole show wearing a Bruce cap and shirt. Man I want to rock like that when I'm his age.

Running into Tim Russert when we were leaving the show. Had on glasses and a huge grin. My husband asked him how he liked the show and he said "Amazing!" He said this was my first Bruce concert and he replied, "My first was in '73!" They said it was a great show to have as a first. Could not have been a better way to say "Hi!" to someone we watch nearly

Now I'm at work which is around the corner from the Verizon center and still happy about the show!

Posted by: Kat | November 12, 2007 12:22 PM

Totally awesome show which highlighted the amazing sounds of the new CD and combined it with the hard hitting songs of previous releases. If your are going tonight, raise your fists high in the air for all of the old fans when the house lights come up on Born to Run! Cannot wait for the next CD and tour, the E Street Band is far from done, at least this rockers hopes that is the case.

Posted by: Springsteen Fan For Lfe | November 12, 2007 12:40 PM

My 18th Bruce concert last night. First time behind the stage in the 400s. Not as bad as I thought. I just bought the new album Sat., so the new stuff really sounded new. Great show although I wish he would retire "Working on the Highway". One of the dumbest, goofiest songs ever written. (I would add "Darlington County" to that list.) A total waste of a valuable slot. I was hoping he would do "Your Own Worst Enemy" from the new album. Very Beach Boys. I loved the Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky" reworking of "Reason to Believe". Sorry he didn't do "Born in the U.S.A. for Veteran's Day. Clarence looks like he's slowing down. Great to hear "Growin' Up" and rarely-performed "Kitty's Back". I don't know how anyone can go to one of his shows and then have any respect for the modern lip-synching, drive-thru mic-wearing, costume-wearing poseurs who pass as entertainers today. I wonder how much longer he can keep it up.

Posted by: Leonard | November 12, 2007 12:43 PM

I have never been a Springsteen fan but I went last night to check it out. The music is much better live and I applaud him for the energy he puts into it. I always look so forward to going to a show and being lectured by a bunch of musicians...blah, blah, blah - so be it, a fine show anyways.

Posted by: FBomb | November 12, 2007 12:44 PM

Can't Wait to see him today....I have never been able to go before today - and I am sure I won't be dissapointed!

Posted by: Nathaly | November 12, 2007 12:56 PM

Concert tickets are way too expensive nowadays... I can remember the "glory days" when I was "growin' up", "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey" and didn't have to worry about going broke to see the Boss in concert...

Posted by: The Common Man | November 12, 2007 1:04 PM

J.:

Re "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" -- When you're in your 50s, you WILL understand, my friend.

You'll see!

Posted by: John | November 12, 2007 1:07 PM

My husband and I were in the 400 section, row M, backs against the wall... and we felt fully into it, fully connected with the band. This is my 7th time for Bruce live, and this Jersey Girl was awed as always. It's spiritual for me, and I'm not talkin' religion: it's Bruce doing redemption, singing redemption, wanting redemption now for our country. And yes, Chris who posted at 12:22, I think your talk on "Long Walk Home" is right, and I believe Bruce has alluded to this in print interview: it's about how far the USA has to go, now, to re-find itself: our Promised Land lives on in its people.... Last, I was NOT impressed with the sound system last night, all else said.

Posted by: Barbara K. | November 12, 2007 1:24 PM

Awful acoustics from the top of Verizon's 400 level almost had me nostalgic for upper deck concert seating at Syracuse's Carrier Dome, site of my previous E Street Band concert. But a terrific spectacle Sunday night just the same.

Posted by: Jay | November 12, 2007 1:28 PM

Amazing show! Don't know how many Bruce shows I've seen over the years, but this is definitely one of the best in terms of energy. I want Bruce's energy now, nevermind when I'm his age! First time I've heard Kitty's Back live, it was a highlight.

Agree about the horrible sound quality. I was in the 200s just about opposite the stage, and found the vocals distorted, and overall mix to be very muddy. I think it was partly the sound engineer. I've sat in the upper decks behind the stage (once for Bruce a few years ago) and opposite the stage, and the sound was fine. Maybe last night was an off night. Still, the energy pouring off the stage, in the crowd, and from Bruce's lighting board guy (who spent the whole show rocking out as much as the crowd), made up for the bad sound. To everyone going tonight, enjoy!!

Posted by: Allison | November 12, 2007 1:37 PM

Another great Boss show! I've been going to Bruce shows for 20 years and every time he blows me away. I would have loved to hear Thunder Road, oh well.

For any right wing newbies that get offended by Bruce's political rants, wake up! Anyone who hasn't been sleeping the past 20+ years knows that Bruce has always been vocal and outspoken when he sees what he percieves as injustice --From his anti-vietnam songs like Born in the USA, to any number of songs on Magic that protest this administration's abuses. Being a passionate advocate of Freedom and critic of abuses of power, is part of what makes his voice connect so deeply with us. Bruce Rocks!

Posted by: Jerseyboy | November 12, 2007 1:40 PM

I am going tonight and sitting in 224 J seats 19-20. looks like it is behind the stage. Does anybody know if these will be good seats?

Posted by: Bennett | November 12, 2007 1:42 PM

Common Man --

I agree that ticket prices to see anyone of note have become prohibitive. I would submit, however, that, at $95.00 face value, a Springsteen ticket is a bargain by today's standards -- ask anyone who paid $200 to see the Police last week.

I can only imagine what the cost associated with set building, road crews, transportation, band musicians, must be in this day and age. I don't know this for a fact, but, considering overhead, I think Springsteen and his business people have made every effort to keep ticket prices reasonable (by today's standards).

Thanks for listening.

Posted by: Larry L. | November 12, 2007 1:43 PM

hey, I was sitting next to you and your wife or girlfriend at the show. didn't know who you were but figured you were with the post, scribbling as much as you were. Glad to see you had a good time. Kitty's Back was the highlight for me.

Posted by: Suz | November 12, 2007 1:44 PM

It was a pretty good show, but I wish they had played longer and did less of the new stuff and more of the old stuff. I would have liked to have heard "The River" in particular. I thought the show I saw at MCI Center back in 1999 or 2000 was better. Sorry to be a wet blanket. Glad I went though.

Posted by: Andrew | November 12, 2007 1:45 PM

Been to about 20 shows starting on the Darkness tour in '78. I do like the new stuff, but he has so many songs we all want to hear, it is impossible to make a perfect list. The show could have been longer for sure. The arena was available until 11 PM and he stopped at 10:35. Growing up was the best nuggget, a very cool surprise, then back up by Kitty was great. The pit was well organized coming in, but I wish they had let in maybe 100 more, there was room. Clarence was playing a recorder I believe on American Land. The energy and showmanship is still very there in spades, just wish it was longer than 2 Hours, 15 minutes. I guess I have been spoiled over the years.

Posted by: Rich | November 12, 2007 2:15 PM

I would rather watch paint dry than sit throw this show. Bruce has to be the most overrated musician in history. If Bruce is the boss, I QUIT!!

Posted by: Mike | November 12, 2007 2:35 PM

Been to most every tour after seeing him first in '75 in Omaha. Hard to beat those '75 and '78 tours for hours and hours in intimate theatres, but the energy was still there last night. In row A on the club level the sound was great -- maybe it is a Verizon issue. Can't believe how well the new stuff was weaved in -- I was glad for each one. But, No Surrender, Reason to Believe, Promised Land, Night and Badlands were the highlights for me. A prediction for tonight? He will replace She's the One and maybe Night with Incident and Jungleland. And sorry, but he won't repeat Growing Up.

Posted by: Chuck | November 12, 2007 2:39 PM

A few comments. To me, the concert was a "7" on the Bruce Scale (which is still a "10" on the Everyone Else Scale). Pluses: great energy; great musical performances. Minuses: (1) Sorry, it felt like a short show at a little over 2 hours. Chalk my high expectations to several decades of 3+ hour E Street Band shows, but, I'm still disappointed we didn't get another encore. (2) Too much new material and several of the new songs were momentum killers. I don't get Long Walk Home, either, and Magic does nothing for me. (3) Questionable choices among the old numbers. Since when did Kitty's Back supplant Rosalita or Sandy off "The Wild, the Innocent..."? Nothing off The River? And while I greatly enjoyed Night, Tunnel of Love, and Working on the Highway, if I had to choose, I would've "greatli-er" enjoyed Thunder Road, Jungleland and Prove It All Night. (Better yet, they're all great, I'd rather not have to choose). I know Thunder Road, Jungleland, Ramrod and Jackson Cage have all been featured at various stops, so, I can't help thinking we just had some bad luck on the setlist; maybe Monday's will be better?

Posted by: BossFan | November 12, 2007 2:57 PM

Outstanding! Thanks Bruce. Don't know how you do it, but lets do this again soon.

Posted by: Mike J | November 12, 2007 2:59 PM

Just amazing. The Bruce and the E Street Band continue to deliver. Last night continues the tradition - rock & roll with soul. It just gets better.

Posted by: Sue | November 12, 2007 3:14 PM

First, any of us lucky enough to be part of a Bruce show has little room to complain and it's so true that there is no perfect set list to make us all happy! I was so grateful to be part of it all and it truly is a spiritual experience! But, of course, us fans do have our opinions. I gotta agree with BossFan that I would've traded a few of the Magic songs for some of the older stuff. No Rosalita or Sandy, true. And nothing from Darkness? Dang, he was holdin' out on us! Loved Growin' Up but tonight I'm hoping for If I Should Fall Behind, Trapped (yeah right!) and maybe Brilliant Disguise, which he played for NYC in October. Whatever it is, it's going to be awesome!

Posted by: Jan | November 12, 2007 3:18 PM

he should play more of the hits since he charges so much!

Posted by: going tonight | November 12, 2007 3:26 PM

Long Walk Home is a classic Springsteen song that deserves more attention. I don't think it has anything to do with a vet, it's more like an extension of My Hometown. The chorus is fantastic.
RE: "Too much new material and several of the new songs were momentum killers." Buy the new record and listen to it, it stands up to Bruce's best recorded material, and plays great live. If you think the momentum is being hurt, then you are not paying enough attention--he has a new album out! He's going to play 7-9 songs off it every nite for the majority if not the whole tour. This is not Van Halen!
Yes, the shows are a little shorter, and like "Magic" itself, leave you wanting more. But they are not much shorter than Rising Tour shows, there is just no 20 minute 10th Ave Freeze Out or Mary's Place with sermon and band intros, and little talking anywhere--just balls to the wall rock 'n' roll, lean and mean and with plenty of steam.
Rosalita will not be played, but Sandy might, and the encores could use more curveballs like Growin' Up overall, but it's hard to complain at that point, particularly from Born to Run on. I guess if Thundercrack was played, as it has been on many nights, "Bossfan" would have been scratching his/her head, but I think it's great these more obscure tunz get some play, and they play them great...

Posted by: billk128 | November 12, 2007 3:31 PM

the band was great, and its awesome seeing clarence up there, but that was a horrible concert. It started out with radio nowhere which was good, but it went down hill fast.

No songs from the River?? a double album that might as well have been his greatest hits, and not 1 song from it??

other than radio nowhere, and a bad rendition of his biggest hit (which was the 3rd to last song; i though he was about to not even play that), this was clearly Bruce giving DC the finger by playing just his new album and "ecentric" bad songs from some of his old albums.

When going to a springsteen concert, can they actually play songs that we want to hear? you could tell the audience was nervous with anticipation waiting for a song they new. I mean, the intro to living in the future WAS 10th Avenue Freeze Out, but he goes into a politcal rant and some boring new song instead.

Posted by: bill | November 12, 2007 3:38 PM

Hey Mike, why don't you go and watch paint dry and leave this blog to the real Springsteen fans.By the way, I think I hear your mom yelling down the basement steps.She says it's time for your bath, so turn off the computer and come upstairs and pick out your jammies. Loser !

Posted by: Tom | November 12, 2007 3:47 PM

there is no doubt the e street band is great, and clarence is awesome. but bruce did horribly on the song choice. Since when is Kitty's Back or Promised Land a replacement for 10th Avenue Freeze Out or Thunder Road?

i did like some of the new stuff, but the only songs that were good were radio nowhere, badlands, and born to run

Since when can Bruce not play a single song from the River??? or Born in the USA or War or The River on Veteran's Day???

when bruce is political, we want to hear moving versions of classic songs, not "living in the future" which was a let down after hearing the intro to 10th Avenue Freeze Out

Posted by: joe | November 12, 2007 3:48 PM

Hey billk28, I appreciate your comments but not sure where you are getting your information about my tastes. I have Tracks pretty much memorized and would have welcomed Thundercrack (or Bishop Danced or several other great songs from that box set). Furthermore, I do have the new record, have listened to it about 30 times, and like it very much. HOWEVER... if we're going to get "only" 24 songs, then playing 9 off Magic is too many, in my opinion. That said: loved Radio Nowhere, loved Last to Die (was hoping against hope to hear that over the No Country for Old Men credits!) and loved several other of the new tunes. Anyway not to be a complainer, Bruce has been great to us over the years, but while last night was a "great concert," it was just not, in my opinion, a "great Bruce concert."

Posted by: BossFan | November 12, 2007 3:49 PM

No use arriving early and trying to shove yourself to the front if you are on the floor. We sat in 214 and the folks in the back of the floor had lots of space and were dancing and rocking. People arriving early and standing in the front were gridlocked, it appeared. Very entertaining, but not my favorite Bruce concert. Few people knew all the songs. Some people knew some of the songs. Not typical. Saw many people asking each other...whats this song? Underwhelming encore. Seeing Little Stevie made me realize how much I miss the Sopranos.

Posted by: Robin | November 12, 2007 3:49 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to say, American Land rocked. One of the best show closers in Bruce's long repertoire.

Posted by: BossFan | November 12, 2007 3:52 PM

great concert. i was row p in the 400s behind the stage and i could still see and hear everything perfectly. it was a questionable set list, but the energy was great!!

Posted by: jerry | November 12, 2007 3:53 PM

Bruce finally realized his wife can't sing. It was great to not have to listen to her wailing. She sounds like a cat stuck in a dryer.

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 3:53 PM

Worst Bruce songs of all time (sent lovingly in a spirit of fun from a Brucehead to the rest of you out there!)

1) Jungleland: This song alone is responsible for the entire career of Meatloaf. It's awful. Capable of destroying Bruce's indie cred in 8 minutes. Never met a modern Bruce fan who wasn't embarrassed for him by it.

2) Mary's Place: This is only in second place because so far, it hasn't inspired any horrible rockers to use it as a template.

3) Mary Queen of Arkansas: Oh mama, we've got to do something about these Marys.

3) Prove It All Night: Anyone who prefers this to Adam Raised a Cain is crazy in the head.

4) Living In the Future: 10th Avenue Freezeout meets Mary's Place in this travesty.

and the greatest

1) Thunder Road: his masterpiece

2) Rosalita: never stale after 4,000 plays

3) Badlands: The national anthem of rock and roll.

4) Dancing in the Dark: The old-timers and the pop-haters don't like it to be said, but this song is penetratingly deep and brilliant. If only Born to Run were as great.

Posted by: mike | November 12, 2007 3:57 PM

LOL @ the MeatLoaf comment! Bat out of Hell I was not that bad! And definitely had some of that E Street sound, not to mention personnel. Anyway I am a 30-year Bruce fan and you will never hear an unkind word from me about Jungleland. (I bet they are tired of playing it, though!) And as for Dancing in the Dark, if yer gonna go and get all poppy on us, how about the greatest song the Ramones ever turned down, Hungry Heart?! Otherwise your comments are spot on my friend!

Posted by: BossFan | November 12, 2007 4:03 PM

Thanks so much for this! I was super depressed not to be able to go, so it was great to hear a review of every song and stuff!

Posted by: Emily | November 12, 2007 4:04 PM

I think he lip-synced two songs.

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:07 PM

Rants about setlists crack me up...
This is the information age, people. If you're willing to invest $100 a pop for tickets, Google "Springsteen" and "setlist" to get a sense as to what's going to be played. Too many new songs? Then sell the tickets to someone whose mind didn't close when Penguin Feather did (see how many folks get that reference).

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 4:14 PM

Penguin Feather closed ? When did this happen ?

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:18 PM

I guess I'll have to get my music at Waxie Maxie's now.

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:20 PM

Well this is show number 40 or so for me, and will be another highlight as I am taking my son to his first E Street revival.
The ONE song I have been waiting to hear for over 30 years is Kitty's Back, and he did it last night. Oh well, I hope that means I'll hear the greatest rock song of all time as a consolation - Thunder Road.
I cant wait.

Posted by: jcwelsh | November 12, 2007 4:20 PM

Is there an opening act for the Monday night performance?

Posted by: steve | November 12, 2007 4:24 PM

I have been going to see Springsteen since The River tour.Last nite I took my younger brother to his first Springsteen show. Now he understands what I've been saying for the past 25 years.

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:24 PM

Overall, a great show. LOVED hearing some of the older not played as much stuff. Kitty's Back was amazing, with Reason to Believe not far behind. Bruce didn't seem to give off as much energy as previous concerts I've seen. I would say perhaps age, but I saw him at FedEx for the Rising and he didn't act his age then! But still leaps and bounds above just about any other performer I can think of. The sound in the 400's was pretty bad. During the encore, we went and stood in the entrance way and the sound was much better. Pretty disheartening when I purchased the tickets at 10:02 and was literally in the very last row of the 400's. When are the ticket sellers going to get a handle on the scalping and event people who seem to be able to buy up huge blocks of tickets?

Posted by: Mary | November 12, 2007 4:25 PM

No opener...band should hit the stage around 8:30

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 4:25 PM

Overall, a great show from one of the greatest performers of all time. I agree that the sound was a little muddy. I enjoyed the show but I was extremely disappointed that he didn't play Thunder Road. When you go to a Bruce concert you know without question that you will hear Born to Run; I think that any true Bruce fan would agree that the same rules should apply to Thunder Road. It's even more disappointing knowing that I may never get another chance to hear that, or any of my other old favorites again.

Posted by: Peter | November 12, 2007 4:27 PM

I've been following Bruce around for 30 years! I will always love him, but I wanted to hear more of the songs of past. I missed hearing Thunder Road and Rosie! I too was wanting more and missed the old 3 + hour shows! But you know something, he looked and sounded great for 58! Patti is a lucky girl!

Posted by: Sharon | November 12, 2007 4:31 PM

To Jan: He played "Promised Land" and "Badlands", both from "Darkness". To Bill: I agree, something from "The River" would have been nice. But have you been to many of his concerts? When he releases a new album, he plays it. This isn't the 1999 reunion tour. He has new music to play, and that's what he's going to play.

Posted by: Leonard | November 12, 2007 4:38 PM

the problem with overpriced arena rock shows - even when the performer is still a reasonably righteous man - is that they're attended by pompous blowhards like tim russert.

Posted by: the ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 4:39 PM

I thought I was going to see Bruce Hornsby. You can imagine how disappointed I was.

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:43 PM

Ummmm...Russert booked Springsteen for a college gig in the pre-Born to Run '70s and has been a career-long fan. If you tried to weed out all the pompous blowhards at a DC show you could play hockey while the concert was going on...

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 4:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad sound at Verizon. I saw him last week in LA at an old place called the Sports Arena (long since replaced by Staples Center for pro sports); Bruce refuses to play at Staples because it's too antiseptic. At the Sports Arena it felt like a show from the 60s or early 70s--like a scene out of the movie Almost Famous.

I was there on the second night of his LA stand. If he holds to form, he'll replace "No Surrender" tonight with "The Ties That Bind" (something for you River fans!). This is a great, great show, though for me the best Bruce show ever was three years ago on the Devils and Dust tour, all by himself onstage and reinventing his old material with different instruments, tempos, etc. If you're going tonight, have a great time!

Posted by: jonfromcali | November 12, 2007 4:46 PM

Posted by: Bruce | November 12, 2007 4:47 PM

i don't care what russert did 35 years ago. the fact that he showed up last night just proves that he isn't listening anymore. if, in fact, he ever was.

Posted by: ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 4:48 PM

i am an idiot. dont pay attention to anything i write on this blog.

Posted by: ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 4:52 PM

The show was off the hook!!! He is still on fire. Tonight's show will be even better!

Posted by: Rick | November 12, 2007 4:52 PM

Posted by: ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 04:48 PM

So to prove he's a real fan he should have stayed home? No one who has gone on to fame or notoriety should be allowed to attend a concert? Your logic escapes me, Ghost...

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 4:55 PM

AWESOME !!My first Bruce concert and my first bj all on the same nite.I wonder what will happen if I go tonite.

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 4:56 PM

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 04:56 PM

Depends...is your sister going with you again tonight?

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 4:57 PM

tom joad, you are a fool. think before you type, moron.

Posted by: johnny99 | November 12, 2007 4:59 PM

The sound was awful upstairs. 34 years of seeing the Boss and this was easily the worst sound mix I've heard. The band came to rock, but I would have preferred a few less songs from Magic and a few more gems from back in the day. Sorry, but I only give the show a 7 out of 10.

Posted by: The Spark | November 12, 2007 5:00 PM

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 04:56 PM

Depends...is your sister going with you again tonight?

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 04:57 PM

no...my brother

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 5:01 PM

head over to the irish channel bar around the corner from verizon - the live musician there plays the entire set back live...well sort of...

Posted by: chinatown g | November 12, 2007 5:05 PM

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 04:56 PM

Depends...is your sister going with you again tonight?

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 04:57 PM

no...my brother

Posted by: the man | November 12, 2007 05:01 PM

Well, then, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to reciprocate. No one likes a selfish sibling.

Posted by: exNJboy | November 12, 2007 5:08 PM

Even up in the nosebleed section, you could feel the energy even if you couldn't always see what was happening downstairs! I've been a Bruce fan for 30 years, and he still makes me feel like the 21 yr old I used to be.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 5:21 PM

to johnny99:

i thought before i typed the first time. i never said i wasn't a fool. but i realize that much. that's more than i can say for most people. and what i said the first time was in no way foolish.

Posted by: ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 5:30 PM

All the comments about the setlist, the sound, the energy, are great-- not everyone can or should agree on these things. But can't people do better than attacking each other, resorting to "loser" and worse, and now degenerating into sarcasm about sex acts? Listen, if one person is disagreeable, no need for others to follow suit... let's keep the focus on the music.

Posted by: Barbara K. | November 12, 2007 5:42 PM

All the Anti-Fascist musicians should host a Woodstock equivalent concert and immediately thereafter hit the streets. Make America Rock!

Posted by: ghostcommander | November 12, 2007 5:42 PM

Only "The Boss" can perform such an awesome show. Nice to see E Street back again! Enjoyed both hearing the New with the Old and with the full energy Bruce and E Street can put out for every set! Wish I was able to go again tonight!

Posted by: ytfalcon | November 12, 2007 5:56 PM

to exNJboy:

point taken, to a degree. if he's a fan, then he's absolutely got the right to plop down his money and do whatever he pleases. but do you think russert is there to hear the songs about political unease, cultural drift, and collective anxiety? moreover, is he even listening? i truly hope so.

Posted by: ghost of tom joad | November 12, 2007 6:03 PM

I saw Bruce at the Capitol Centre about ten years ago. The show was mediocore at best and I left before the end. The thing I remember most was hearing all of the lame-o 40 somethings talk about what a "party" it was (yeah right). You guys wouldn't know good music if it hit you over the head. Now, he's turned himself into Michael Moore with a guitar (Michael Moore can probably play it better too). His politics sucks and so does his music.

Posted by: Born to run the other way | November 12, 2007 6:07 PM

I saw him in LA 2 weeks ago..exact same list of songs. Was one of the best concerts I had ever been to...he is an energetic performer. Was a little bummed that he didn't play longer after all the talk of his "marathon" concerts. I prefer his old music over his last 2 albums and would love to sit through 2.5 hours of all older music. The audience here seemed to want more older music too...people went nuts for Badlands and Born in the USA, not so much for anything from Magic.

Posted by: Dee | November 12, 2007 6:21 PM

I saw him three years ago when he played an election day event for me. His theme was "Follow me to the polls". Not enough people were drinking the Kool-aid that day I guess.

Posted by: John Kerry | November 12, 2007 6:31 PM

I'm from Freehold, NJ (birthplace of Bruce) 25, and took my mom to what has been my 15th show. This was definitely one of his best shows. Honestly, he defines what every young musician today should strive to become...better with age. I think all of the haters, young and old, need to give up there tickets to the real fans if they have nothing but hateful things to say. Or they can just give them to someone else in their lobbying firm who is a real fan.....because with the way ticketing works today, a good percentage of the crowd got their tickets the unfair way. Thanks to Bruce and his business people for keeping tickets affordable and shame on the system for allowing ticket brokers who use software programs to snap up tickets in the 100's the minute the presale begins.

Posted by: NJ in DC | November 12, 2007 6:51 PM

Concert number 30, first time at a DC show since The River in 1980 (and GTown in 74). This was the best of the three I've seen on this tour so far. The DC crowd was terrific, with the only drawback being the bad reverb upstairs. The new stuff was tight, with Bruce sending a message (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) of America's drift away from what makes it America, followed by redemption (Promised Land) and ultimately concluding with confirmation of the American dream (American Land). Growin' Up was an unexpected treat. This was really a terrific show.

Posted by: Main Street Howl | November 12, 2007 7:18 PM

No comparison between this show and the one at FedEX field. That was the best Bruce of all times. Unfortunately being a 40s professional I need more than a month to learn the music. I definitely for the first time felt a little "left out" and missed being able to sing every word. Maybe while hes in town Bruce can pass a "no Bruce fan left behind" piece of legislation.

Posted by: Robin | November 12, 2007 7:20 PM

We also were in the maddening section 400 ($95) seats and hated the sound. Even when things were quite and Bruce was talking, we couldn't understand him due to the fuzzy, echoing sound. It wasn't even loud enough way up there. This is the first time we had miserable sound at Verizon. Very unlike the acoustics at the Clapton concert last yr. The equipment sounded very amateurish, like the band at the high school cafeteria dance.

It was clear the crowd appreciated the new material but also yearned for more of the old gems. There certainly was time for more (the show was over at 10:40), so we went home from the concert earlier than any other concert in my 60 yrs of live. So we were surprised and a little disappointed it ended so soon. I would also give it a 7 out of 10.

Posted by: Lefty | November 12, 2007 8:19 PM

1st show: college park/cole field house prior to jerry lee lewis and chuck berry, 1973. Last show: last night. > 110 in between. All the shows inbetween: priceless. She's the One (playing now on my cell from my neice), Badlands, Promised Land, BTR: Hall of Fame Clarence and Rock and Roll. Enjoy the idiosyncrasies of each show. One thing I agree with: Thunderroad IS his masterpiece, but I am always smitten by Incident...

Posted by: chan | November 12, 2007 9:12 PM

Show was such a joy, but is anyone else with damaged hearing today, feel like there's cotton in there. I am Bruce's age so maybe that's it!

Posted by: amy | November 12, 2007 9:46 PM

Honestly, I've seen Bruce about 30 times over the past 30 years, and I thought this show was right at the top in terms of energy. The songlist was eclectic; we didn't know what to expect. Bruce kept us guessing, and it felt great. I agree that "Kitty's Back" was a great surprise. I also wished for something from "The River" but can't always get everything. I also long for some of the songs from the "Live" album like "41 shots".

The truth is that Bruce has so much great material that we'll never get more than just a taste in any one concert. Only complaint is that we needed that second encore!

Posted by: Meg back in Tampa | November 12, 2007 10:13 PM

just back from Mon. show, was in 218 and it was one of the best, if not the best sound mix I've heard at a Bruce show --- I find them often depressingly poorly mixed live. In 33 yrs. of E St. shows this was one of the very best.

Great show, those that complain about too much new stuff should really understand/research what they're buying, as one said, it's not a greatest hits tour.

Posted by: fendertweed | November 12, 2007 11:31 PM

Unlike the first night, he played two from The River: Ties That Bind & Jackson Cage... As for the best in show, Thunder Road, Backstreets, Born to Run, Badlands, She's the One and the aforementioned River pair were the highlights of the second show.

The earlier posts were right about the sound on the upper deck - it leaves much to be desired.

Posted by: 2nd Night show | November 12, 2007 11:31 PM

I didn't think the sound was that bad in the upper deck tonight -- but then, my first-ever Bruce show was December 15, 1980 (The River tour), in the *old* Boston Garden, which had to be, acoustically, The Worst Concert Venue Ever. (Two weeks earlier, I had floor seats for the Cars, and I could not hear the keyboards. I could *see* keyboards being played, but I could not hear them at all.)

So at least tonight "Born to Run" sounded like a real song and not like the roar of a jet turbine....

Fabulous show!!!!!!

Posted by: Greenbelt Gal | November 13, 2007 12:29 AM

One wrote: "If he wanted to be political on veterans day, he should of played Born in the USA or War: something that we want to hear"

Just about 40 years ago, Barton Edward Haynes, the drummer from one of Bruce's first bands, was killed in VietNam.

If you don't like Bruce being political, go down to the Wall, make a rubbing of Bart's name and then come back and post here.
Here's the info for you: Barton Edward Haynes is on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Panel 28E Line 049.

Posted by: Ted | November 13, 2007 12:42 AM

I saw the Sunday night concert. Of course Bruce is one Heck of a performer no matter what he sings. However, I'm familiar with most of his hit songs and not the little jewels off some of his old albums that were played last night. Therefore, most of the night was, I like this song but am not familiar enough to sing along (Except for Lonesome Day, The Rising, Badlands, Born to Run and Dancing in the Dark).

I'd be curious to find out the set he played for Monday night. I've only been to 3 or 4 of his concerts. Mostly because at times I tried but couldn't get tickets in the past. I did experience one of his 4 hour ones at the old Capital Center. Being that he's almost 60 I didn't expect him to go THAT long but would have liked a little longer and a few more old songs.

Bruce is always a Blast! BRUUUUUCE!

Posted by: Carol | November 13, 2007 1:44 AM

Attended both shows. I liked Sunday's show a lot, but Monday's show was off-the-charts spectacular. I agree with the poster that said that Monday's sound mix (even in the uppers)was the best I've ever heard in an arena venue. Maybe it's all about where you're sitting, but last night I clearly heard all the instruments and I was as far away from the stage as one could be without being under the Chinatown arch.

Musically, the band seemed like they were on fire. Versions of "She's the One," "Long Walk Home," "Reason to Believe," and "Backstreets." threatened to take the roof off the place. Bruce also seemed much more fired up than on Sunday. (I know he's always fired up but last night he seemed like a man possessed.)

The crowd was collectively as spectacular as the band. Not only could you hear a pin drop during "Magic" ... but you could have knocked me over with a feather when Bruce said "sssh sssh" in time with the opening strains of "Reason to Believe" and people actually stopped clapping! Simply put, I've never been under roof with a better bunch.

I guess my Springsteen concerts number in the 20s since 1975 when I saw him at Carton Barron Ampitheatre. Monday night's show was one of the top three shows I've ever seen by anyone, be it Bruce, Stones, Prince, or otherwise.

People can carp about setlists, the relatively short duration of the show, ticket prices, et. al. From my vantage point, it was all beyond amazing -- a fabulous rock 'n roll experience.

Posted by: LarryLev | November 13, 2007 7:20 AM

Coming out of the Verizon Center last night: no voice, squawking single words to my wife. Shirt soaking wet. How good? When 20K 40 to 60-somethings are pumping their fists in the air singing "tramps like us, baby we were born to run" without any qualms or embarrassment, well that's just damn good.

Posted by: joemktg | November 13, 2007 7:50 AM

I attended the concert Sunday night. The show was absoulutely fabulous. Standing in front of me was a petitte, brunette in Section 431, Row K and I think Seat 6. I have never seen such shear joy and excitement from anyone anywhere. Baby if you're out there.... just know I'm thinking of you.

Posted by: Bruce Fan | November 13, 2007 10:09 AM

If I could write the perfect setlist for Springsteen (Taking into consideration he's selling "Magic" with this tour)? It'd be like this:

Ties that Bind
The Rising
No Surrender
I'll Work for Your Love
The Promised Land
The River
Jungleland
E-Street Shuffle (Slow Live version circa - 1975)
Prove it All Night
Two Hearts
Livin' in the Future
The Fever
Incident on 57th St.
Badlands
Growin' Up
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

Encore (1)
Thundercrack
Kitty's Back
Born to Run
Amrican Land (after last night - great!)

Encore (2)
Thunder Road
Hungry Heart
Rosalita

We can dream...

Posted by: Chris C | November 13, 2007 11:49 AM

Chris C, fantastic setlist (The Fever, yeah!). I would not even mind hearing Radio Nowhere and Gypsy Biker, since as you point out he does need to sell some new records. My point was just that 24 songs was not enough and if he's only going to play 24, playing 9 from Magic was too many. But hey at least we got E Street in 2007 so I am not going to complain too much!

Posted by: BossFan | November 13, 2007 3:13 PM

Saw the boss live for the first time in '75 in two small venues in NoCal ... Halloween night at the Paramount theater in Oakland, and he played well over four hours.

Seen him a dozen times or so over the years since, in such diverse locals as the L.A. arena so well depicted above and two different arenas in Atlanta.

Sunday's show met all my expectations, Bruce just does not disappoint. I've seen a lot of acts over the years, and he's the only one I can make that claim about.

"Kitty's Back" ... what a gift, sheer bliss.

I was smack dab in the middle of the floor, wailing and dancing like a fool with girls in their autumn clothes half my age.

Shear heaven.

Posted by: old 55 | November 13, 2007 3:49 PM

if you want to determine the ticket price, playlist and what time the show starts then start your own band, just don't tell us about it cause you already suck !!

Posted by: Bruce fan | November 13, 2007 4:50 PM