Does This Frighten You?

It is time to get intimate.

A few weeks ago Barry Manilow came to the Verizon Center for a performance that was billed as "An Evening of Music and Passion with Barry Manilow." Pretty scary, right? Turns out it's not even the scariest area show this month. That's because on Sunday Iota offers the following:

Special Intimate Afternoon with Constantine Maroulis

That's right, it's an "intimate afternoon" with everyone's favorite sixth-place "American Idol" finisher! Iota is lifting its usual 21-and-over policy for this show so fans of all ages can share, um, special intimacies with Maroulis. This is getting creepier by the moment. And that picture of him isn't helping.

Hide the women and children, right?

So is this the nightmare billing to end all nightmare billings? Or is there a scarier show that is - or could soon be - playing at a concert venue near you? What does one bring to a "special intimate afternoon" date with Constantine, anyway?

By David Malitz |  February 20, 2008; 9:44 AM ET Randomness
Previous: 'Once' Again | Next: 'Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Amphitheatre'

Comments

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight

I dunno, maybe it's a lot easier to watch out for the angry mob during the daytime...

Posted by: 23112 | February 20, 2008 10:31 AM

Since the webfilter at my office won't let me see the photo, I can't comment on that.

Well, as long as the Iota folks get their cash, whatever. Hopefully they can use it to bring in some more acts. Scariest? "An Intimate Evening with Britney Spears at the Black Cat". that would be wrong on sooooooo many levels.

Posted by: EricS | February 20, 2008 10:52 AM

An intimate evening w/ John Tesh and special guest David Sanborn @ the Velvet Lounge.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2008 11:17 AM

Exquisite nightmare: Amy Winehouse's Root Boy tribute show @ The Grog.

Posted by: zip | February 20, 2008 11:46 AM

Eric,

its a typical pouting pretty boy photo - although this one has dirty hair and stubble

oh - and he's not that pretty.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2008 4:57 PM

"Well, as long as the Iota folks get their cash, whatever."

Don't count on it. The dude didn't fill a room with 10 tables the other night - no kidding.

Posted by: Ack | February 21, 2008 12:53 PM

I don't know why they need to allow in "all ages" since all of his fans are about 90.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 21, 2008 12:57 PM

This is an insuting comment about Constantine. He is an AMAZING performer!!!!

Posted by: Roxy | February 21, 2008 1:51 PM

Very insulting writeup. It looks like David Malitz is trying to be funny and he's not.

Posted by: Katzy | February 21, 2008 2:23 PM

I think he's funny. And dead on. Keep your kids inside and your doors locked next week, DC metro area.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 21, 2008 2:29 PM

Ha! Cracks me right up how determined some people are to say something bad about this guy. He's got the skillz, golden pipes and knows how to use 'em... And is the nicest fellow in person that you could ever hope to meet: intelligent, witty, happy, and gracious to young and old alike.
Check it out before you mouth off, please.
And his fans =are= all ages.

Posted by: NotInNYC | February 21, 2008 3:37 PM

What's wrong with you to make insinuations about something that you have no idea about. I think Constantine deserves an apology. There's going to be a lot of Constantine's fans flying in and they have their children and/or teens with them (I'm one of them). Constantine has fans of all ages unlike so many other performers and he wants to make sure all who want to see him are able to do so. This man goes out of his way to support causes such as the Make A Wish Foundation and the Autistic Foundation to name a couple. He received the Humantarian Award in NYC last year. Get your mind out of the gutter, why don't you?

Posted by: Marg | February 21, 2008 4:11 PM

Washington Post Hired you?? What would be scarey is for you to have your pic up there. Constanine is an amazing artist!

You "David" are scarey!...and so off!
What, do you live in a cave? Get some real facts why don't you!

Waste of space is all I see here, another so called writer who thinks they are funny! Oh you are funny...funny in the head! Yo David, take your meds!

Posted by: Sherri | February 21, 2008 4:44 PM

You have officially been invaded by the grannie fannies.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:49 PM

What are you, a clown? Constantine is awesome. Check out some of the youtubes posted yesterday of his performance of Hallelujah.

Posted by: anon | February 21, 2008 5:02 PM

Malitz, apologize ASAP, make it public, and promise to never do it again

Posted by: Jimbromski | February 21, 2008 5:44 PM

I am puzzled as to why you think watching Constantine perform would be scary? Actually, he is really good, I've seen him perform in person.

What would be scary is an Intimate night with Bill O'Reilly.... LOL.

Posted by: lucene | February 21, 2008 7:02 PM

Re: Sherri

I agree, having Dave Malitz's picture up there would be "scarey".

Are people really "flying in" for this show? Maybe we can start a petition to move in to the Black Cat Mainstage.

Posted by: sacklunch | February 21, 2008 7:51 PM

He's actually a really nice guy...and a great performer too! Check him out on YouTube.

Posted by: noyb | February 21, 2008 7:52 PM

This sort of journalism frightens me more than Constantine ever could. You should try one of his shows before trying to turn people away with this sort of nonsense.

Posted by: Patti | February 21, 2008 10:34 PM

I can think of many words to describe Constantine, scary in not one of them.
I've seen him in concert, I've met him, I've seen him interact with children, he is talented, kind and gracious. Why don't you drop by for the show and write an opinion based on facts.

Posted by: Cheryl | February 22, 2008 9:03 AM

I was at one of his shows the other night & there were waaay more than 10 tables. Filled, btw. Criticism is ok - if you are reviewing a show you've actually seen.

I'll review the show I actually saw the other night: Awesome.

Posted by: JR | February 22, 2008 9:35 AM

As someone who covers music for a major newspaper, I'm pretty sure David's heard his music. Sorry, but not everyone likes bland white boy music that's pretty much indistiguishable from most other pop music. If it weren't for American Idol he'd be taking my order at Applebees.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 22, 2008 12:14 PM

Apparently a few people missed the point of the word "blog". This isn't fact-based journalism. It's an opnion-based sumation of the producers thoughts. The same goes for show reviews, it's an opinion. No one is really entitled to an appology unless there is something factually wrong in the piece, an no "he sucks" is not factually wrong since that's entirely an opnion-based statement.

No one said Mr. Constatine was a bad person, but all the same having him play at a place most well known for unknown indie-rockers is definately up there on the weird"i never wanted to hear that" scale.

Posted by: EricS | February 22, 2008 12:47 PM

Watching him go from AI and millions of people to playing the Local YMCA in Bayshore is not only scary--its funny and there's that karma thing again Constantine. Ain't it grand?

PS. His fans are younger than 90. The average 40+ and typically 40-50 Lbs overweight. They need to give up Constantine or food for lent. Food for thought?

Posted by: Donna | February 22, 2008 3:10 PM

Yo Donna.. I can't wait until you see the load of Karma that slaps you in the face!

I would pay good money to see that!! ROFL!! Scorn woman..."Get over it"!!

Ahh haha the poor woman who can't have Mr. Constantine follows him around like a sick puppy. I knew you would show up.

Now the mental ward is not too far from you .. I think you best go check in.

Such a sad insane woman, Who can't get pass the bodyguards!

This isn't Karma it's life in the spotlight, some good some crap like this.

Did you really think YOU had something to do with this?
LOL
Wow..You are sad!.. and should know about be overweight.
oops, was that a peice of karma for you? I have more, but since this isn't about YOU or his fans.. I will end here.
----------------------------------------
*FACTS*

Constantine Maroulis is great performer, He is talented and has a great sense of humor, For those who never seen him, go see his show, You won't be sorry!:)

Nobody makes up my mind but me, the opinion here is one that someone who hasn't even seen the show wrote, Now there is some real Food for thought!
G'Day

Posted by: violins | February 23, 2008 12:54 AM

Malitz > Maroulis

Posted by: Lindemann | February 23, 2008 2:17 PM

I wonder if David has ever heard Constantine sing- because he didn't mention his talent or lack of it in the blog. I know Constantine's fans are often criticized for defending, making excuses or trying to change people's opinions. Honestly, I can understand if you don't care for his music or don't think he's absolutely adorable- like some of us; the thing that prompted me to respond was the creepy comment. David have you met Mr. Maroulis or was that your impression of him on AI ?
Please go to the show David and then give us a more informed opinion of the man. You might even enjoy yourself.

Posted by: CAL | February 23, 2008 2:56 PM

Oh. My. God. Let it go. That picture makes him look creepy and yes I've heard his music and I will not be using any of my precious iTunes credit on him, not when there's much better out there.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 4:01 PM

I love Constantine~

Posted by: Jm | March 10, 2008 8:08 AM

I went to the Iota concert and it was wonderful. Mr. Malitz is writing purely for shock value, to stir up controversy. Maybe he should base his writing on fact, not fiction. Constantine is a very talented musician and he is a very good man. There is nothing scary about him at all. He actually has quite a number of young fans who adore him, and he treats them with kindness. I met a few of these fans as well as their parents a couple of weeks ago. No parent would take their young daughters to multiple Constantine concerts, driving hundreds of miles, if they had any doubts about his talent or integrity.

Posted by: Suzanne | March 10, 2008 8:30 AM

No, he looks great in that picture. He is a very talented man and extremely good looking.

Posted by: Mary | March 10, 2008 9:51 AM

Wow! I just voted in the poll. Than I come over here and see the comments. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but, certain comments tend to set people off. I'm not going to go there though. PEACE!

Posted by: Karen | March 10, 2008 9:56 AM

I would bring with me, my love of music, my free spirit, and my passion for intimate afternoons with Constantine... and oh yes, my young daughter who shares the same passions and love of life.

We support and enjoy you Constantine.

Posted by: d | March 10, 2008 10:24 AM

When I saw that Constantine Maroulis was coming to our area, I decided to go see him perform. I thought he was very talented on American Idol, and I was sorry to see him voted off so soon. I thought that he added a lot to that season.

So, I saw the concert. Honestly, it was awesome. Constantine had only one talented acoustic guitarist with him, and together they made some wonderful music. And for sure, Constantine connected with the audience on every song. It was realy a GREAT performance.

I am curious...David Malitz? Have you see Constantine perform live? If so, you didn't think he was talented? I just can't imagine anyone walking away from one of his concerts with that opinion. (But we certainly all have the right to have our own taste in music).

I watched all of the versions of Hallelujah that were shown with David's article, and each performance was interesting. Leonard Cohen wrote an amazing song, but the man sure can't sing. Jeff Buckley is awesome. So is KD Lang. John Cale and Rufus Wainwright both did a beautiful job with a beautiful song.

But for me...the most soulful, memorable version of this classic song is Constantine's. KD Lang was next. Constantine has a great way of interpreting lyrics. And I saw him do it with every song he sang at the concert I attended.

So, for me....if I was going to download that song on ITunes, I'd go with Constantine's version.

Posted by: JCN | March 10, 2008 12:15 PM

DO you all know eachother?

The article was funny. Constantine is creepy looking.

Get over it.

Posted by: Scary | March 10, 2008 2:02 PM

I did see Constantine at this particular show...but I saw him in Cleveland House of Blues..he is awesome in person! Magic on stage and a little shy one on one...which we found to be endearing...at this concert the age of the fans were between 18-40..truthfully mostly good looking women!
The place was packed and we in Cleveland wish he would come back to the rock n roll capital....

Posted by: Samanatha | March 10, 2008 11:20 PM

That "creepy" stuff is a by-product of American Idol, when he was fooling around with the camera and following stage directions from the show's producers.

He's a funny guy, a lot of comedic talent on stage, but the hater types grabbed onto that word and have never let it go. He's not creepy at all. He's a really talented guy with a well trained voice and the training to back up his work. The only people who still use the "creepy" thing are those that haven't taken the trouble to find out anything about him or get to know him. When a writer focuses on something like "creepy," from years ago, I'll guess that he actually doesn't know anything about Constantine and maybe hasn't even listened to him sing. If he did, he didn't know what he was hearing. Writer or not, doesn't matter. You're not all brilliant musicians, and you know it.

Donna, isn't she the woman who was selling Constantine panties on the Internet and modeled them with her own panty-clad backside? And she has some feud with him because his management made her stop selling unauthorized Constantine merchandise? She loved him when she thought she could make money off of him, and then she hated him when she couldn't.

I hadn't listened to Constantine sing in a while, and I listened the other day and was once again blown away with the beauty of his voice. Maybe he's not your cup of tea, but the boy can sing, and sing his heart out he does.

I think he's got fans from little kids to old men and women. All the singers who came through American Idol have collected that kind of fan base. It's the nature of that family tv show.

Posted by: Earl | March 11, 2008 6:13 AM

There are MANY people, I assure you, who would love to spend an intimate evening with Constantine. Perhaps some of the "men" out there feel threatened by Constantine's extreme talent (as a singer, songwriter, and actor) and his good looks and charm. Go to any Constantine event and you're likely to find people who have flown in from across the country...sometimes from other countries! Come on...give the guy a chance...see him in person and you'll find out how truly amazing he is. Even if you purposely didn't pick the best picture of him, he's still gorgeous.

Posted by: Laura | March 11, 2008 12:40 PM

Constantine has more talent in his pinky than the "writer" who criticized him has in his whole body. So sorry you feel threatened by Constantine, wait, no I'm not. Your loss. Thankfully, Constantine is intelligent and wellrounded enough to get past the false, degrading comments about him. Why don't YOU find a real job...one you're actually good at (I wouldn't suggest writer or music critic!)? By the way, I'm in my 30's, thin, and more than decent looking. Don't think that qualifies me as the "fans" you characterize Constantine as having. We are a devoted bunch of diverse fans, so get used to the name Constantine Maroulis...and the fact that he IS talented.

Posted by: Lola | March 11, 2008 12:50 PM

Weren't there some videos on this page of a lot of singers singing Hallelujah, and a poll for voting? I saw it here yesterday and came back to see how the poll was going and to listen to the songs again. Has it all been removed from this page? Last I saw, Constantine was winning the poll by a large number. Is that why you removed the videos and poll?

Posted by: Bad sport? | March 11, 2008 2:00 PM