Official Virgin Festival Predictions, Vol. 1

The speculation about who is going to play at big summer music festivals is arguably more fun than the actual festivals themselves. Who doesn't love the guessing game that leads up to the big announcement? Back in high school I'd try to piece together HFStival lineups based on what bands they were playing over and over and over again in February and March. Hearing Marcy Playground and Semisonic 13 times per hour pretty much made it a lock that those bands would be playing that year at RFK.

It's a little different these days. Now it's more about predicting the big reunions at Coachella and which acts won't be part of the approximately 758 band lineup at Lollapalooza. We figured we'd get in on the fun with this inaugural Official Virgin Festival Lineup Prediction post. The third annual festival will be back at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore this August. (You might remember that we had some pretty in-depth coverage of the 2007 edition.) It's worth remembering that I'm bad at predicting - very bad - so don't go posting any of this stuff on your blog as confirmed or anything like that. Feel free to chime in with your predictions/hopefuls/not hopefuls as we go along.

Prediction #1: Foo Fighters
The band makes a logical headliner and their current tour finds them playing New York, Philadelphia, Binghamton ... but nothing in D.C. or Baltimore. The Foos haven't played the festival the last two years, have a large and devoted fanbase that crosses over a couple of generations and have enough hits to make for the perfect headlining set. Throw in the local connections of Dave Grohl and I'm feeling fairly certain about this one.

Prediction #2: Feist
Like the Foos, her upcoming tour finds her with New York and Philadelphia shows (also Charlottesville) but nothing any closer to us. By the time August rolls around it will have been more than a year since her last Washington show and almost a year since she played at Rams Head Live in Baltimore. Since then she's become a true breakout star, big enough to be a major draw at a festival.

[We apologize that this post is boring -- Ed.]

By David Malitz |  February 12, 2008; 3:19 PM ET Virgin Festival
Previous: Mariah, Droppin' Science | Next: Old Favorite Thing: Vol. 1, No. 1: "Pictures of Me," Elliott Smith

Comments

Since they're going 2 day, and he and the gang will be around the States again..

Bruce and the E Streeters. It could happen.

Other possibilities,

Metallica
R.A.T.M.
Stone Temple Pilots if they're not on OZZfest
KT Tunstall
The Racontouers again
311 again for the hell of it
Pearl Jam if they're out
My Bloody Valentine
Morrisey
The Police again?
Maybe Linkin Park
Cat Power

And, totally out of left field...

Michael Jackson. Hey, it could happen.

Posted by: EricS | February 12, 2008 4:03 PM

Zeppelin!!!

Oh wait, Robert Plant has a VERY IMPORTANT tour with Allison Krauss this summer. There's a HUGE DEMAND for tickets. It will be the CONCERT EVENT OF THE CENTURY.

Posted by: Peter Grant's ghost | February 12, 2008 4:21 PM

Lez Zeppelin
AC/D-She
Badfish
The Legwarmers
Bruce in the USA
Dark Star Orchestra

Posted by: ggw | February 12, 2008 6:02 PM

Why we haven't yet taken David's prognosticating privileges away is beyond me. (Actually, I know why we haven't: Because he's much better at contributing to the blog than I am.) Having said that - and as the guy who said in This Very Space last week that Alicia Keys opening the Grammys with Sinatra was a smarter bet than Jimmy Sturr losing in the polka category to some squeezebox-playing pretender -- I'm just going to go ahead right now and put my best guess out there:

The Stone Temple Pilots are getting back together this summer and playing V-Fest.

Deal with it.

Posted by: J. Freedom | February 12, 2008 6:16 PM

I hope the Stone Temple Pilots play that song that was popular back when I was in college.

Posted by: Gene | February 12, 2008 7:23 PM

i heard STP wasn't getting back together b/c scott weiland is in rehab...anyone else heard this ugly rumor? any truth to it?

Posted by: msto | February 13, 2008 9:44 AM

Kanye West, maybe? He hasn't played V-fest yet, won't be touring at the time, and would be a big festival draw. Yeah. I'm going with Kanye West. Granted, I put big money on Bubba Hernandez...

Posted by: shf | February 13, 2008 11:09 AM

let's see if M.I.A. performs (again?) :)

i agree with the Foo Fighters prediction. I'd love to actually see them! they're like this generation's Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

The Foos are like a Toyota Camry. Not the flashiest band out there, but always dependable for a good ride. ;)

Posted by: around | February 13, 2008 11:36 AM

Foo Fighters seem like a safe bet. That'll be awesome, provided, of course, that their entire set is performed by Prince.

I kind of thought there was a Freedom Rock phatwa against any further discussion of Bruce and the ESB, but they'd be a great choice for one of the two headliners, actually, and kind of the spirit of anchoring the '06 and '07 festivals with the Who and the Police, if that matters, though I can't think of why it would.

Bruce/Foo would be a pretty close generational match to last year's tag-team of the Police/Smashing Pumpkins. Only, you know, better. The fact that Bruce/ESB are playing some kind of Harley Davidson festival in Milwaukee at the end of August proves the Boss is willing to share the stage -- with the likes of Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult, apparently. Ouch.

Kravitz seems likely. No DC dates for the, um, "Get on the Bus with the Love Revolution Tour" so far. The festival environment would present him in the least offensive light.

They have to do it in August again? I'm only just back up to my pre-V-Fest weight from last year.

Posted by: Chris Klimek | February 13, 2008 2:08 PM

I'm more annoyed that they chose the sameweekend as a O's home series AND the biggest convention of the year at the BCC, Otakon. Not that it's particularly difficult to get from downtown to Pimlico, but the timing sucks.

Scott is in rehab right now and he has said that STP is getting back together. It looks like Velvet Revolver may be biting the dust though. They just canceled their Aussie tour due to the rehab thing. The best STP rumor I had heard was that they would be doing OZZfest. If so, not likely they'll be on V-Fest.

Another name or three

Chris Cornell, to make up for bailing last year
Daft Punk
The New Pronographers
The Pogues
That Allison Kraus/Robert Plant tour

Posted by: EricS | February 13, 2008 3:02 PM

If he's still in the running, I predict Grammy-award winning recording artist Barack Obama. It's his prime demographic, after all.

Posted by: Adam | February 13, 2008 3:58 PM

Posted by: msto | February 13, 2008 09:44 AM

Rumor? Not like it's much of a stretch.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 8:12 PM

I second the Lenny K suggestion-- definitely a good prospect.

But have you noticed that so far all the geezer rock bands have been Brits? So-- what about Oasis, or the Kinks?

Also, I'm thinking Alison Goldfrapp as a lesser luminary.

On my personal wish list: the Mother Hips, the Eels and the Redwalls. Maybe Electric 6...

Posted by: Laura E | February 16, 2008 11:11 PM

Spoon-- definitely.

Posted by: Alex E. | February 16, 2008 11:15 PM

i hope its radiohead. because foo fighters would be the worst disappointment.

Posted by: alex | February 18, 2008 6:07 PM

foofighters, rage against the machine, radiohead, jack johnson, allman brothers, black crowes, tom petty, barenaked ladies, everclear, stone temple pilots, third eye blind, eric clapton,kt tunstall, cat power, big bad voodoo daddy, metallica, pearl jam, solomon burke, dido, oasis,b.b. king, OAR,blues traveler, coldplay, U2, massive attack, silversun pickups,willie nelson- when i throw around these names i usually get two right. sorry if that lets many of u down looking at my list, but i am really tempted to drive down and see bonnaroo this year now unless virgin pulls something out of their ass- The STP reunion would make it tempting

Posted by: phill | February 19, 2008 12:26 AM

i heard on 97.9 that ratm is a go for vfest.

Posted by: ami | February 19, 2008 4:48 PM

Who would want Kanye West? I am upset enough about him going to Bonnaroo....

How about a little Radiohead or Rage? Pearl Jam?

Virgin-fest will have to step it up this year if I'm going...

Posted by: Casey | February 22, 2008 12:24 PM

Obviously it will be Zeppelin saturday night.

Posted by: DC | February 22, 2008 2:39 PM

Lets see...
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
OAR?
Will Queens of The Stone Age be in the country?
DMB
RHCP?
311 again!!
I dunno why but I have a feeling cold war kids will be there also...

Posted by: Robbie | February 22, 2008 9:54 PM

Hoping for STP. I definitely see Foo Fighters. I can see Rage. Cornell is a good fit, and so far isn't booked beyond July. Queens of the Stone Age are playing all the V-Fest's in Europe, so I think they might be a good bet. Hope Metallica isn't the headliner,and I really hope we don't get Radiohead (they could still bop down here on Sunday from the NJ Festival)...

Posted by: Adam | February 23, 2008 2:04 PM

As far as I see it radiohead and Dave Matthews Band make the most sense. Dmb would draw in all the prep school kids in Baltimore, and radiohead just might be the biggest band in the world right now + they played v-fest Britain in the past.

Posted by: monty | February 23, 2008 5:57 PM

I believe Radiohead is already heading another festival on those dates...crap.

Posted by: SS | February 24, 2008 4:58 PM

Muse will headline a night at Virgin Festival

You heard it here first...

Posted by: The Phantom | February 25, 2008 2:10 AM

IGGY POP and THE STOOGES
Dave Mathews
Linkin Park
OAR
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Van Halen
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 5:57 PM

If Muse is headlining one of the night's, this festival is already in REAL trouble. Nothing against you, or Muse, and in a regular slot, it sound's great, but... You don't go from RHCP/The Who, year one, then SPumpkins/311/Beastie Boys/The Police on year 2, to Muse on year 3, and expect it to be an upgrade. Too bad Jane's Addiction won't give it another go, they'd make a great headliner...

Posted by: Adam | February 25, 2008 8:27 PM

I'm just reporting the facts

and a band like Muse that can Headline monster European festivals like Reading and Glastonbury can easily take on the task of a middle-of-the-road festival like Virgin.

But once again, I'm just reporting the facts

Posted by: The Phantom | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM

To prove my point...

Muse Headlining at Glastonbury 2004

Muse Headlining at Reading in 2006

Now go ahead and tell me you don't want to see this at Pimlico in August...

Posted by: The Phantom | February 26, 2008 12:43 PM

RATM...please please please! STP would be cool too.

Posted by: Renegade of Funk | February 26, 2008 4:45 PM

Don't forget that Muse headlined Lollapalooza (Sat. night) last year. I know cos I was there. However a few nights later they couldn't sell out the Patriot Center. Go figure

Posted by: TonyR | February 26, 2008 5:39 PM

Also don't forget that two of the headliners at Glastonbury this year are Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen. I suspect that neither will take the stage at V-Fest

Posted by: TonyR | February 26, 2008 5:44 PM

HIM would be a decent second headliner like the beastie boys were last year

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 9:53 PM

What amuses me endlessly about the date being the same as Otakon is that all these idiots are gonna try to book hotel rooms downtown and discover that all the rooms are booked. Haha. Though I am kind of pissed that Virgin Fest and Otakon are the same weekend, as I enjoy both, but one must take priority, and that's Otakon. Seems there's always something going on--be it a Yankees series or Artscape or this--that combines with Otakon to turn downtown into a massive, drunken mess.

Posted by: Tyler | February 26, 2008 10:43 PM

You also have to remember, that the uK and america are very different. it surprises me that muse headlined lolla over here, but perry also had a very lackluster (just in my opinion) line-up last year. virgin fest killed it. pearl jam was their one stone cold lock.

virgin had the police, the pumpkins, the beastie boys, velvet revolver, incubus, wu-tang clan, 311, winehouse, kings of leon, yeay yeah yeahs, modest mouse etc... hardly what i would call "middle of the road".

muse isn't fit to headline in the states over rage, the foo fighters, stone temple pilots or the foo fighters. that's just the different culture over here, is all, not a reflection on muse. I could see them getting velet revolvers 7:15 "south" stage slot.

Posted by: Adam | February 27, 2008 12:53 PM

I'm talking about Middle of the road in terms of attendance. Virgin Festival had around an average of 45k people each night, while Festivals like Bonnaroo, Coachella, Glastonbury, Reading, Pinkpop and others have upwards of 80,000 each night.

But in terms to Muse, I'm not trying to rock to boat,I'm just reporting that like it or not, they are headlining the festival this year. You will see in a couple of weeks

Posted by: The Phantom | February 27, 2008 1:48 PM

muse is booked to play the followin weeks virgin festival overseas so i doubt they will double headline them. Muse is not a headlining band. I think one of the richest guys in the world will book someone better than muse. if muse headlines thats the end of the US vfest.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 3:33 PM

who the heck is Muse??? is The Phantom really the lead singer for that band? ;)

Posted by: around | February 27, 2008 3:40 PM

I'm going with Radiohead for Sunday night headliner as a lock...Radiohead is playing All Points West on Friday and Saturday, and what better place to come to than Baltimore from NYC...since they're all about the environment.

Saturday night...I'd say Muse, Daft Punk, or Bjork (though I don't think she's in the states), but realistically, I'm sure there will be a band or two that I don't really care to see even if they are huge, so Pearl Jam, Metallica, and Foo seem fairly possible...if it's Foo and Feist as the headliners, they better get some dominant other bands for me to go

Posted by: Terry | February 27, 2008 4:34 PM

Remember that Daft Punks new killer album, ALIVE 2007, is marketed by...that's right, VIRGIN RECORDS. Combine daft punk with kanye west and you've got one hell of a saturday night headliner.

Posted by: Ben Hogan | February 27, 2008 10:34 PM

I'm pretty sure Daft Punk's pyramid tour is over? but that would be sick if they come to Baltimore (without Kanye)

Posted by: Aidan | February 27, 2008 11:54 PM

rage stp foo

Posted by: dank | February 28, 2008 2:42 PM

A line up that consists of muse, daft punk, or bjork as a headliner will not go over well here at all. if you have an act in that vein close the festival the way the crystal method (i believe) did last year, then maybe, but the crystal method weren't the "headliners".

those were the police, b-boys, smashing pumpkins, 311, and then there was wu-tang and vr who are headline material (here in the states). i figured bjork would've played baltimore last year, since she did canada's v-fest, and pumpkins did both. if bjork does play, i guarantee she's no higher than 5th or 6th act on the bill.

i understand muse has headlined festivals for 80,000 people in the uk... what i'm saying is, it would never happen here. period. the live acts that sell over here, are the more traditional "rock" acts.

richard branson didn't make his fortune by accident, and just because he may book muse as a headliner in the uk, doesn't mean he will book them as the headliner here. he seems to have a good grasp on what goes over and where, and that electronic acts aren't the way to book an east coast festival in the u.s.

sure they can pull it off in california, but california, and baltimore/ny/wash/philly are opposite world's. the east coast of the u.s. is rock and roll and hip-hop. that's what sells here. i could see all those acts (daft punk, muse, bjork) etc. getting slots, just not the tops. kanye i could definitely definitely see as a headliner here. your pulse is right on the heart of the east coast with that call (though i personally prefer stp/foo fighters/rage).

and the person that mentioned led zep might just have that one. i was thinking the same myself the other day, that i could see branson shelling out for them.

i wish the janes addiction re-union, to the 5th power, would occur and close out with them, though they'd be doing lolla obviously, and i don't know that perry and sir branson are very close these days...

Posted by: Adam | February 28, 2008 3:27 PM

Daft Punk is a great headliner, they headlined 02, veegoose, lolla, all with excellent turnouts and reviews, it would pull huge numbers of people because they arnt touring this summer. they are definatly a much better headliner than muse, they have a cult, id go if daft punk was playing there but everyone else i never heard of.

Posted by: Rob | March 2, 2008 2:16 PM

Horrible Healiners would be Jack Johnson,
STP, anything older than my 12 year old kitcat like Foo F, Wilco or Weezer
Please stop the nonsense. No , not Metallica!!!! Some of these guys supposed to be 6 foot under by now...
Unacceptable still are Oasis, RATM, B152,
and all other fake reunions like Led Zeppelin, STD...I'll be more than happy to
send in a buck or two if they need the $$ but why them ( It's like having Peter O'tool playing in a 25 year old romantic gig!!!).
It's time to make room for Arcade Fire, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Yeah yeah yeahs, MIA
Andrew Bird and the likes to show case their music and performanc.

Posted by: vanster | March 3, 2008 3:40 PM

REM
REM
DAVID BOWIE
DIDO
Fiona Apple

Posted by: sg | March 4, 2008 8:23 AM

Lets see. i was at Baltimore both days last year since i live there, and everyone i asked went crazy over Infected Mushroom. I wish they would return again.

Posted by: tim | March 7, 2008 12:48 PM

You know something, a real good Dance Headliner would be Benny Benassi. That would bring me out.

Posted by: Randy | March 8, 2008 12:05 PM

My predictions:

Gym Class Heroes
Feist
The Black Keys (awesome band)
Kate Nash
Dr. Dog
Lenny Kravitz
Radiohead
The String Cheese Incident
Primus
Jack Johnson

Hmmm I think if this was the line up it would be F ing AWessssooomeeee

Posted by: Suki | March 14, 2008 9:55 AM

I'm hoping for Underworld. Please.

The following bands/artists are not going to be at V-fest

Coldplay
The Verve
The Sex Pistols
The Prodigy
Justice
MGMT
Alicia Keys
Spiritualized

they will all (and many others) be playing at Summer Sonic in Japan, which is the same weekend.

also, to whoever said Bjork will be no higher than 5th or 6th billing if she plays, you are wrong. She will headline if she plays.

Foo Fighters apparently were confirmed on a DC radio station. The host of the station leaked info that said they were headlining a night.

Posted by: Matt | March 17, 2008 3:25 PM

Jack Johnson is confirmed
Celine Dion is confirmed
Tim Mcgraw is confirmed
Lou Bega is confirmed
Cherry poppin daddies is conformed
Elton John is confirmed
Parliment is confirmed
Heart is confirmed

Posted by: Shaheb Rizackle | March 21, 2008 4:36 PM

Vanster is a moron...I could crap out a better lineup than that

Posted by: Chris | March 24, 2008 2:49 PM

Vanster is a moron...I could crap out a better lineup than that

Posted by: Chris | March 24, 2008 2:50 PM

Daft Punk would be sweet, as would Muse, although I don't think they would sell well enough to be headliners.

You really need names like Foo Fighters or Rage Against the Machine to draw the 30+ crowd which is who they seem to want more of at Virgin Fest.

Posted by: ace | March 25, 2008 3:20 AM

All points West In New Jersey i believe has confirmed Jack Johnson and Radiohead, and that is the same weekend as Virgin Fest, so count them out

Posted by: Tim | March 26, 2008 5:43 PM

Another confirmation for you all:

Bloc Party will be at the Virgin Mobile Festival this year

Posted by: The Phantom | March 27, 2008 12:35 AM

The Foo fighters are strongly favored to headline one of the nights. So many people keep saying it that it has to be true. The Virgin Fest in Toronto has both the Foo Fighters and Oasis headlining. Generally the artists are very similar with each virgin fest. Plus I'm praying for Oasis.

Posted by: alex | March 30, 2008 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure Robert Plant's tour with Allison Krause ends before the Virgin Fest.

Posted by: Obama 08 | March 30, 2008 9:01 PM

The officially confirmed lineup is quite boring. You couldn't pay me to go...well maybe I might take a ticket and hang out in the dance tent.

Posted by: Shawn | April 2, 2008 10:41 AM

Straight from their website Jack Johnson, Foo Fighters, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails, and Stone Temple Pilots are headlining

Posted by: al | April 2, 2008 2:36 PM

I'm agree... or not?..

P.S. Yes or Not - any difference!!!

Posted by: JJJJackson | May 10, 2008 9:23 AM

Bloc Party will convert a lot of people at Lollapolloza and V fest- absolutely brilliant!

Posted by: Tom | May 13, 2008 10:31 AM