Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Microsoft Gets in Gear

Microsoft showed off an incredible lineup of goose-bump-inducing games at its news conference. I'm going to call it now: Gears of War is my pick for Action Game of the Show.

Other key announcements: Forza Motorsport 2 (this fall), Fable 2 (2007) and the biggest, Grand Theft Auto 4 coming to 360. For the first time ever, Sony didn't get the exclusive on Rockstar. The new Xbox Anywhere is kinda cool too.

The general consensus after the press conference was "Wii what?"

P.S. After checking out the second Generation 360 games and seeing what Sony has in store with PS3, if I was Nintendo, I would be worried.

P.P.S. Gears of War rocks. I can't get it out of my head!

By Bob Greiner  |  May 9, 2006; 4:19 PM ET  | Category:  E3: Dispatches
Previous: Gates Pokes at PS3, Names GTA4 Release Date | Next: Encounter With the Birdman

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Wow, are you out of touch. That's the mainstream media for ya.

"The general consensus after the press conference was "Wii what?""

Which of course explains why this is the only news report that says anything like that at all.

MS announced wireless accessories, showed games we've known have been coming for 2 years, and showed us tech that lets us log into xbox live from a cell phone or a PC.

I have a 360 and enjoy using it all the time, but that was hardly a show stealer. Not even close...

Posted by: John in Chicago | May 9, 2006 4:50 PM

This is exactly mainstream media. Always talking about stuff that they know nothing about.
I have a 360 also and I enjoy it, but Nintendo freaked me out! If you don't think Nintendo has some impressive graphics, check out these trailers from e3.

Posted by: Sytronik | May 9, 2006 5:03 PM

I agree. This is a journalist getting blinded by eye candy. I plan on getting a Wii because it is going to offer an experience that is currently not attainable with the Xbox 360 nor the Playstation 3 (that is unless the experiment turns out to be a total bust).

Posted by: Kevin | May 9, 2006 5:16 PM

I think the real battle is going to be between Sony and Microsoft, and most people will get a Nintendo Wii as secondary box. Which I think is probably where Nintendo is positioning itself anyway.

Posted by: Gamer | May 9, 2006 5:21 PM

All the buzz I'm seeing in Seattle - especially from the teens - is about Nintendo, with some mild interest in the PS3.

It's the games - and that wacky controller.

Yeah, the name is lame, wii wii, but who cares.

Posted by: Will in Seattle | May 9, 2006 5:26 PM

How out of touch ARE you guys? Just about every major media outlet is completely disagreeing with you, as most can see the simple fact that graphics aren't everything. In fact, graphics have far less to do then offering gameplay that is different and *gasp* NEW. Most of the games on the 360 are on the PS3 and vice versa. The graphics on the two look remarkably similar. At the end of the day, everybody will have EITHER a 360 OR a PS3, to go along with the Wii.

Posted by: P | May 9, 2006 6:27 PM

I haven't really seen that much buzz for Sony...I think the 600 dollar price point effectively killed it. The games they showed looked good, but only MGS4 was enough to excite me.

Until yesterday, I always assumed I'd buy a PS3. Not anymore--at least not until its price dips down to something reasonable and it has more innovative, exciting games.

The only thing Sony's press conference did for me was cause me to look with more interest at Xbox 360 even though I've never owned an Xbox before.

As for Wii? I'm there on launch day -- looks like the ultimate fun system.

Posted by: tony | May 9, 2006 9:36 PM

It's all about marketing and the winner is determined by the dollars or yen or whatever. Microsoft is selling at a loss. Sony will be selling at a huge loss. Nintendo can't afford to do that. Nintendo has staked out a position and price point well below the MSFT-SONY battle and is likely to win their fair share of the market because no matter how you look at it Nintendo skews young and MSFT-SONY have abandoned that market. Nintendo will win their market and MSFT-SONY will fight for the early adopters and tech geeks. It re3mains to be seen who can sustain selling at a loss the longest.

Posted by: Joe | May 10, 2006 12:34 PM