Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Apple Delivers Cheaper, Faster iPhone

Well, they did it. Apple, the Silicon Valley master of marketing, managed to deliver on the hype that led up to the unveiling today of a new iPhone.

Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs unveils the new iPhone model in San Francisco on Monday. (Bloomberg)

Standing in front of a large interstate road marker brandished with the words "iPhone 2.0" a noticeably thinner Steve Jobs introduced a faster and cheaper version of the iPhone. The new phones will run on the much faster 3G network technology with prices starting at $199.

(Ouch. That must smart for the 6 million early adopters who bought their phones for between $399 and $599.)

The 3G network delivers Internet content almost twice as fast as the previous model, Jobs said during the company's developers conference in San Francisco today.

He also appeared to be directly targeting a sweet spot held by Research in Motion's BlackBerry, the device of choice by many professionals. Apple will introduce new software called Mobile Me, which automatically forwards email to the device and make automatic calendar and contact updates.

By Cecilia Kang  |  June 9, 2008; 2:59 PM ET  | Category:  Cecilia Kang
Previous: Google News, or Lack Thereof | Next: Facebook Widgets Take on New Life

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

When the iPod, iPhone and GPS are all available in ONE seamless, integrated package, they'll have something that I'll spend money on, but until then, I'll wait. Wish they'd hire some of the SONY engineers who are so good at miniaturization of electronics.

Posted by: 809212876 | June 9, 2008 4:20 PM

...that's exactly what this is: an iPod, phone, and GPS (and web browser, and email, and...) in one package. What else are you waiting for?

Posted by: KR | June 9, 2008 4:22 PM

The iPhone is an amazing piece of equipment. It's a real shame that it's tethered to one of the lowest-rated, poorest performing carriers in the US. I'd have one already if it weren't for that.

Posted by: SEA_Mark | June 9, 2008 4:25 PM

I'm one of those getting burned because I bought the "old" iphone at 400 bucks.

Of all the features listed for 2.0, the best is the 3G network. Because Edge sucks!!!!!

Posted by: JK | June 9, 2008 4:34 PM

The ARM processor is perfect for running GNU utilities. The Nokia N810 is based on Debian and can run one of the fastest tabbed browsers in the world: elinks. We don't know if all GNU utilities will be in the App Store.

Posted by: Singing Senator | June 9, 2008 4:40 PM

Sony? Ummm, have you seen their User Interface on PS3? They should have been consulting with Apple for that!

Posted by: Bill Monroe | June 9, 2008 4:42 PM

Ms. Kang writes:

"...the device of choice by many professionals."

the correct version would be:

"of many professionals."

Where are the Post's copy editors?

Posted by: CorrectGrammar | June 9, 2008 5:03 PM

So when, if ever, is Apple finally going to get around to opening up the iPhone developer program to mere mortals? They have been teasing their developers for four months now. Get your act together, Apple...

Posted by: Steve | June 9, 2008 5:04 PM

I agree with Sea_Mark-- an amazing new device with a great video screen for everything from movies, games, GPS directions, Internet surfing-- all for the price of a iPod NANO-- but ouch, lousy reception for phone service in DC area and most other metropolitan areas-- if ATT can get their cell tower act together for better coverage then the new iPhone will be a runaway phenomena.

Posted by: ktodack | June 9, 2008 5:05 PM

Interesting comments about ATT's reception. I have ATT and most of the time it has better reception than Verizon and of course Sprint. Just the other week I was on 495 and someone with Sprint had one bar and another guy with Verizon had two bars but the call kept dropping. I looked at my phone and it had FIVE BARS!

Interesting...

Posted by: HNK | June 9, 2008 5:28 PM

I agree the new 3G iphone has lots of desirable bells and whistles and were it not for the dismal carrier of choice I would have gladly traded in my RIM device for it. I'm in the DC/MD area and verizon coverage is ok - but no money will entice me back to at&t (just awful service!). My beaf with all of these carriers is their serious lack factual customer disclosures and half truths. For instance, verizon is quick to trumpet their new faster EVDO REV-A network, but fail to mention that they only have one phone (LG) that will run at the higher speeds. All their other phones do not, and will not include (in the foreseeable future) the required Rev.A chip set!!! Oh, and old devices they are selling are not upgradable since the Rev.A network requires a different chip set. Don't ask the sales folk why they don't carry Rev.A compliant phones - they get VERY defensive about it.

Posted by: BRT | June 11, 2008 8:35 AM

Apple should force AT&T to get their Act together. Why doesn't Apple make the Iphone 2.0 for CDMA(Verizon and Sprint)?

Posted by: Smurfie | June 11, 2008 8:52 PM

Yes, why would a major paper publish ungrammatical writing?

Posted by: SaundraB | June 14, 2008 2:30 PM