Election Results, Full Coverage

Check out our special report for final results in the Virginia governor's race and other state elections, post-election analysis, live discussions, photos and video excerpts from the Kaine and Kilgore camps in Richmond.

By Amanda Zamora |  November 8, 2005; 11:27 PM ET  | Category:
Previous: Report From Loudoun County | Next: Why Did it Happen?

Comments

Yippe! As a native Virginian who lives in Orange County, CA I celebrate the election of the Democratic Gov.

Mike in So Cal

Posted by: Mike in So Cal | November 8, 2005 11:39 PM

Congrats to Virginians who rejected the Karl Rove political tactics of smearing your opponent on wedge issues such as the death penalty. The death penalty issue is not an issue in Virginia and was never under attack, but that didnt stop Kilgore to come up with a smear campaign.

It is refreshing to see a politician like Kaine be rewarded for sticking to his convictions on a personal issue such as the death penalty instead of flip-flopping. Virginia is the winner tonight

Posted by: db | November 9, 2005 01:27 AM

Agreed. I was sad to see, though, that 40,000 voters who voted for governor didn't make a selection in the race for Attorney General that was decided by less than 10,000 votes -- at times as reporting was coming in the difference was as little as 2,000 votes.

I normally would support a Republican Attorney General as a counterweight to a Democratic governor, but Kilgore as Attorney General signed onto a lawsuit with other Republican states that sought to limit EPA guidelines and increase air pollution. That doesn't make sense to me no matter what party you come from.

Posted by: Omar | November 9, 2005 03:05 AM

A GREAT VICTORY FOR THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA YESTERDAY.

Although it is unfortunate that we couldn't sweep the statewide ticket (or relieve Delegates Albo and Frederick of their jobs, among others), the big win is secured.

I'd be interested in comments on the 'phantom incumbent' effect. It seems that Virginia voters resist changes in Richmond on Election Day, even though we can't vote for an incumbent.
With an outgoing Republican Governor in 2001, Mark Warner polled at a 10% lead consistently until Election Day. But he won with only about a 5% margin.
With an outgoing Democrat in the Governor's Mansion, Tim Kaine never polled at more than a 2% lead, but won by almost 6%.

Poll error? Or is it just that, when it comes right down to it, we resist changing horses?

I also think Kilgore overreached his campaigning, and that the Lt. Gov. and AG races show evidence of that.
Virginians are conservative.
When you're running as a Republican, maybe no news is the best news.
I think Bill Bolling and Bob McDonnell reaped the benefits of many Virginians who really didn't know that much about them (or their opponents), but just felt more comfortable checking the box marked (R).

Jerry Kilgore, on the other hand, swung for the fence in the 9th inning (with attacks on "liberal Tim Kaine", outrageous death penalty ads, wedging in illegal immigration, fake mailers, etc) and in doing so, gave Virginia Republicans and independents many reasons NOT to vote for him. If Bolling and McDonnell had been on the ticket with Kilgore, you might have seen them suffer along with him.

Posted by: William Edwards | November 9, 2005 07:52 AM

I am happy for those who are elated over the results, but I find little to boost my own mood. We had a choice between a liberal (not Warner) D and a right-winger R. Everyone knows that Virginians have tended toward "moderate" in recent years. Why don't the parties give us moderate candidates? Are they so out of touch with us non-politicos that they can't read the tea leaves?

I split my ticket, writing in a governor candidate, voting for a "liberal" for LG, and voting for a right winger for AG. My choices were pitiful.

I wish Tim Kaine the best. He has an opportunity to prove that he can be an effective, moderate, anti-partisan governor, as he claimed he would be. I hope for all of us that he will succeed.

Posted by: Bored with the Whole Thing | November 9, 2005 08:17 AM

I hate to say it but all the signs of a Kaine victory were there. THE POLLS!!!! Im kind of upset with myself for getting nervous for no reason at all. If I would have just followed my common senese and ignored the action hungry media and the political pundits I would have come to the conclusion that Kaine would win. All the conservatives kept saying yes he's up in the poll but unless he's up by 5 Kaine will still lose. Political pundits kept saying its going to be close its going to be close. While all of this was going on I was sitting here scratching my head as I looked at the latest poll results. On the otherhand this tense environment was good for the Dems. It motivated us to GTOV!
So pat yourselves on the back, take a little while to do another victory dance, then remove your bumper stickers and help Virginia come back together to keep the state of Virginia moving foward.

Posted by: UVA08 | November 9, 2005 11:34 AM

Forget the dem and old media spin about the referendum on nat'l issues. I am one of many Repubs in VA who stayed home because Kilgore was such a weak candidate. That is why he lost. Quite simple, really.

Posted by: Robert Stevens | November 9, 2005 03:07 PM

Kaine won just as Warner won. He is not a liberal. GOpers think all Democrats are liberals just as many on the left think all GOPers are right wingers. The extremists did not get their way in the last two Governors races. That's why Kaine won. He, like Warner,is pragmatic politican who has personal convictions and character.

In the end it was Kilgore's character assignation strategy that backfired. Its a great day to see the Lee Atwater-Karl Rove politics being rejected. Let's hope this happens at the National level.

Posted by: DB | November 9, 2005 03:27 PM

When I was doing some GOTV walking in my generally thought of as Republican precinct last weekend, I noticed several Kaine yard signs on the .5 to 1 acre zoning houses. The turnout on Tuesday, which is usually more than 60% in off-year elections, was barely 50%. Kaine received more than 60% of the vote. I think that the Republicans stayed home.

Posted by: Dranesville | November 9, 2005 05:19 PM

I am a very happy Va. Democrat that we have elected another Governor in our state. I just wish we could have taken all the races but it just wasn't to be. It was a pleasure for me and my husband to entertain the new Gov. Elect Tim Kaine in our home in Bristol in June for an informal meet and greet evening. With over 30 people showing up, the young Gov. Elect was asked many questions where he stood on issues concerning Va. Tim was very honest where he stood, as he was thru out his campaign. That is why Va. elected him and I am sure he will do as good a job as our Gov. Mark Warner has done for our state. I don't believe the Repubs. stayed home on election day, I think they voted for the best man to run our state, Tim Kaine.

Posted by: Dorothy Dreger | November 23, 2005 12:27 PM